Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Philip Rivers is retiring

His legacy will live on forever.  How can it not with all those kids?  Matt Cassell and Tim Tebow have BOTH won the AFC West as starters more recently than Philip Rivers.

• Thanks 1

Great competitor.  

He had the ODDEST throwing motion..  Like he was shot-putting the ball, or something.  He seemed like a genuine dude, though.  Wish him well in coaching his kids' teams.  Lucky for him he played as long as he did.  He'll need the money he made to raise his horde!!

Was always an above average QB with a below average coach.

I will add that Rivers was the biggest mistake the Chargers made in my lifetime.  I remember at the time saying that all the pundits are wrong.  There is no way that the Chargers were dumb enough to draft a QB instead of re-signing Brees and drafting Fitzgerald.  Brees/Tomlinson/Fitzgerald/Gates... all on one team?  It would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out had they been as smart as me in that scenario.  :doh:

Maybe Arizona drafts Eli and the Giants still end up with Rivers.  Maybe someone else trades up.  Cleveland perhaps?  I would like to go back in time to change that and see what the outcome would have been.

Anyway, I always liked Rivers.  It's a shame they were never really able to get the right coach and build a good team around him.

From 2008 to 2018, Rivers threw for at least 4,000 yards and 25 TDs every year but one.

Rivers did not miss a game from 2006 to 2020.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

From 2008 to 2018, Rivers threw for at least 4,000 yards and 25 TDs every year but one.

Rivers did not miss a game from 2006 to 2020.

HOFer.

He's been a very good QB for a long time.

He's the Chargers best QB since Dan Fouts.

He put up big numbers but he never had much success in the win column. There's been quite a few QBs like that over the years.

Is he a HOFer?

I kind of doubt it. QBs that don't make it to a Super Bowl, let alone win one, don't tend to fare well in HOF voting.

He's also going to be up for the vote at the same time as guys like Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brady, Eli, so the competition for QBs is gonna be stiff

37 minutes ago, polecatt said:

He's also going to be up for the vote at the same time as guys like Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brady, Eli, so the competition for QBs is gonna be stiff

Eli will already be in the HOF by the time any of the other guys are up for a vote...

4 hours ago, jrokh said:

Eli will already be in the HOF by the time any of the other guys are up for a vote...

He would have to make it in on the first ballot. I'm not sure he does

dude put up some really good numbers on some really terrible teams.

honestly there were a couple of years where he put up 4500 yards receiving and you looked at the WR's and i was thinking.... Rivers put up 4500 yards passing with these bums for WRs and a crappy O line?   Wow.

imagine if he actually had a good team around him at that time.

hard to believe.  on any other team those bums might have been practice squad players, but Rivers made it work with those bums.

kind of a waste that his talent was wasted on such a terrible team.

Very fiery competitor. I've had Rivers on numerous fantasy teams over his 17 year career. He could always rack up the passing yards but that came at an expense sometimes because he was prone to throwing interceptions. I took the good with the bad. He never had much luck in the playoffs the few time he made them. Truly a very good QB with subpar coaching as was mentioned. He will for sure have a spot in Canton and I wish him well. He may have retired from football but he's a dad with nine kids, 9, so looks like his retirement dayd are.gknna be pretty well occupied.

Wentz. 

It doesn't look like Philly is moving on from Wentz, that's part of the reason they fired their coach. The Colts will have to look elsewhere next season. 

It sure does look less likely. 

But it’s the nfl , so one never knows, but I do agree, sounds like the owner is a fan of keeping Wentz.  

If I’m the new head coach I would keep him.  

17 hours ago, weepaws said:

Wentz. 

If the Eagles are smart, they keep Wentz and hope the guy they hire is the right one to get the team going in the right direction.  They also need to get rid of the players who caused division in the locker room like Alshon Jeffrey.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:37 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

If the Eagles are smart, they keep Wentz and hope the guy they hire is the right one to get the team going in the right direction.  They also need to get rid of the players who caused division in the locker room like Alshon Jeffrey.

well its not like their team is that good.   As far as I'm concerned if I were the GM anyone who causes problems in the dressing room should pack their bags.

You can put up with some of that crap when you are winning, but when you are losing there is no good reason to keep it around. 

Wentz could be the Colts Qb very soon.