Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Xfinity Cable Router and WIFI Question

Was thinking of buying my own cable router and WIFI doohickey rather than pay the $14.00 a month Xfinity charges me to rent it.  Amazon has a pair with the necessary cords for $129 or so.   Have you guys ever done this?  Our wifi quality is spotty at best and hoping this might help boost it a tad plus I don't like renting the equipment.

Have used my own router for 5 years, no WIFI extender or booster. Maybe it's old, I don't know.  My son gamed with it, so I guess it works just fine.

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Was thinking of buying my own cable router and WIFI doohickey rather than pay the $14.00 a month Xfinity charges me to rent it.  Amazon has a pair with the necessary cords for $129 or so.   Have you guys ever done this?  Our wifi quality is spotty at best and hoping this might help boost it a tad plus I don't like renting the equipment.

When I had my internet installed the tech recommended that I buy my own because there are much better ones than what they offered.  I spent $200 on one that covers my entire house and a good portion outside of it.  I think you're going to find better quality buying your own.  I know that the Nighthawk routers are very popular.  https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r7000

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Have used my own router for 5 years, no WIFI extender or booster. Maybe it's old, I don't know.  My son gamed with it, so I guess it works just fine.

How do you get your wifi? Or does your router do both? I know they sell combo units.

Yeah don't rent their crap.  I would go with a modem and then a dedicated router/wifi solution.  If you don't have too much sqft you are trying to cover with wifi you can get a modem/router combo. 

yes. always go get my own arris surfboard modem. you have to call and get them to activate usually...always a good time to tell them what bastards they are.

speaking of the bastards, they are now making their internet limited like a cell plan. if you are an internet only customer, you can not go over your data. i forget it's like 1.5TB or something. scumbags.

10 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

How do you get your wifi? Or does your router do both? I know they sell combo units.

I have FIOS.  Cable comes and and is split, 1 to the set top box, 1 to the router for WIFI. 

Anyone know where I can get a decent unbiased review of some products?   I see quite a few to choose from on Amazon.  Looking for a cable router and / or a wifi router

I went to Best Buy and they helped me. 

18 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

When I had my internet installed the tech recommended that I buy my own because there are much better ones than what they offered.  I spent $200 on one that covers my entire house and a good portion outside of it.  I think you're going to find better quality buying your own.  I know that the Nighthawk routers are very popular.  https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r7000

This ^ 

The Netgear Nighthawks are the way to go. 

9 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I have FIOS.  Cable comes and and is split, 1 to the set top box, 1 to the router for WIFI. 

The cable for FIOS is only needed if you have their cable service. It supports the menu options for cable TV. I got rid of their cable service and went to YoutubeTV. I don't use the coax cable at all. Just the Ethernet connection to the router. The router supports both wired and WIFI connections. 

Arris Surfboard is what I used to use.

Just keeping mind, once you hook it up, you need to call into Xfinity and give them the MAC Address of the modem in order for it to work.

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The cable for FIOS is only needed if you have their cable service. It supports the menu options for cable TV. I got rid of their cable service and went to YoutubeTV. I don't use the coax cable at all. Just the Ethernet connection to the router. The router supports both wired and WIFI connections. 

I am ready to cut the cable and stick with Internet.  If you have the coax you can use it for your regular TV to get the standard channels without antenna.  At least I have done that in the past. 

30 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

EERO is your friend, especially if you have a house. *you can buy your own modem, but eero is the best mesh wifi system going*

1 minute ago, edjr said:

EERO is your friend, especially if you have a house. *you can buy your own modem, but eero is the best mesh wifi system going*

WTF

I have had really good luck with these. https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-AC2200-Smart-Whole-Home/dp/B07N1NZ99R/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tp+link+m9&qid=1611254163&s=electronics&sr=1-1

B&H runs refurb 3 packs for 140 ish.  I have no complaints and you can set a puck next to your tv and direct wire it with an ethernet cable.  I use them in the store as well and have one wired to my credit card machine.  No problems for close to 3 years I think.  You would still need a router though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

WTF

Even you can set it up. Install app on your phone and go.  

Buy your own cable modem, stop wasting money and renting.  

Buy EERO and that is the "router" which gives you "wifi"  

What is EERO.    Dude..Talk to me like im 7 please.

Hey.  You like candy?  I got a whole bunch in my van...

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I am ready to cut the cable and stick with Internet.  If you have the coax you can use it for your regular TV to get the standard channels without antenna.  At least I have done that in the past. 

Probably not. It works different now. They still require a box of some sort. 

If you want regular TV, you would get an HD antenna. I just get YouTube TV and it has my local stations except for NESN for Bruins and Red Sox. 

Just now, fandandy said:

Hey.  You like candy?  I got a whole bunch in my van...

🤣😂

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

google.com  youtube.com

7 year olds know how to use those

38 minutes ago, usurpers26 said:

Yeah don't rent their crap.  I would go with a modem and then a dedicated router/wifi solution.  If you don't have too much sqft you are trying to cover with wifi you can get a modem/router combo. 

1700 Sq ft colonial.  Not a huge space to cover

5 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

So still need a cable modem for this but this is the WIFI router?

yes Sir. Is a mesh system. so everywhere gets good coverage. no dead spots. unless of course you don't have enough eeros

15 minutes ago, edjr said:

Even you can set it up. Install app on your phone and go.  

Buy your own cable modem, stop wasting money and renting.  

Buy EERO and that is the "router" which gives you "wifi"  

👍 Was going to ask if the mesh replaces the router altogether, or just attaches to it.

15 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

it is a mesh system which gives a lot of solid coverage.  many good options out there. I went with the google wifi and love it.

11 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

1700 Sq ft colonial.  Not a huge space to cover

Do you have gigabit internet?

I agree with Ed and the others, mesh is totally the way to go. I am partial to Ubiquiti (they have two trim lines, their Amplifi line is consumer and would be comparable to Eero).  Eero is probably the most user friendly for those that are not technical and/or have no desire to be.

Just now, usurpers26 said:

Do you have gigabit internet?

I agree with Ed and the others, mesh is totally the way to go. I am partial to Ubiquiti (they have two trim lines, their Amplifi line is consumer and would be comparable to Eero).  Eero is probably the most user friendly for those that are not technical and/or have no desire to be.

I mean I'm not totally technically inept.  But I would label myself as more a beginner than anything.

We don't need a lot.  I don't game online, we stream netflix and amazon through our cable modem(Xfniity)  So my PS4, couple phones and wife's ipad are about all we really use.  Not a lot at all.

I mean I'm not totally technically inept.  But I would label myself as more a beginner than anything.

We don't need a lot.  I don't game online, we stream netflix and amazon through our cable modem(Xfniity)  So my PS4, couple phones and wife's ipad are about all we really use.  Not a lot at all.

Honestly then, I'd go with any of Eero, Amplifi, Google (Nest), Netgear (Orbi) - you will be splitting hairs on performance, etc. if that's all you have connected.  At 1500 sqft, I would be shocked if you would need more than the main router/mesh access point and one satellite.

If you have gigabit internet, just make sure whatever modem you buy is "DOCSIS 3.1".

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Yes been doing it for years

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

That plus a netgear AC1750 wifi router and I should have more than enough to handle my house yes?

Oh that has WIFI with it

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

That plus a netgear AC1750 wifi router and I should have more than enough to handle my house yes?

Oh that has WIFI with it

It has wifi

Yes and if it doesn't just buy a wifi repeater. for the rooms, it doesn't reach.

Again, what is your internet speed from Xfinity?

I have done what you say with no problems.  Plus it's easier to change dns servers...use vpn..etc.  and the range is soon much better than that turd they sell you.

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Probably not. It works different now. They still require a box of some sort. 

If you want regular TV, you would get an HD antenna. I just get YouTube TV and it has my local stations except for NESN for Bruins and Red Sox. 

I have my basement coax plugged into my HDTV right now for local channels.  Works just fine. :dunno: