Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

UPDATE: Lions trade Matthew Stafford to Rams

I don't know why they think he's the problem, but okay.

Hopefully we'll get to see how good he is on a team that isn't a complete mess every year

• Like 1

Time to reboot. 

I think it’s a good move for both parties. 

Well - at least Stafford isn't RETIRING - like B. Sanders and Megatron.  Who both were sick of perpetual losing seasons in DET!

13 hours ago, TimHauck said:

LOL that 2 years/$43 million is considered a bargain for a good but not great QB.

I would like to see how many QBs in the NFL do better on the Lions

How about a trade where Stafford goes to Houston and Watson goes to Detroit with some additional compensation going to Houston?

22 minutes ago, robb said:

How about a trade where Stafford goes to Houston and Watson goes to Detroit with some additional compensation going to Houston?

It sounds like Detroit wants to tear it all down first and do a full rebuild. Doubt they could do that with a 40 million dollar per QB...

18 hours ago, polecatt said:

I would like to see how many QBs in the NFL do better on the Lions

I would guess about 8-10

On 1/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, jrokh said:

It sounds like Detroit wants to tear it all down first and do a full rebuild. Doubt they could do that with a 40 million dollar per QB...

This.....

for a move like this to work all the pieces need to be there.   Right now i dont think they have the pieces.  and doubling what you pay at QB likely does not put you in a position to fix them.

The good news for Detroit, is that Stafford has a cap friendly salary.  so there will be teams kicking tires on this.

I also think when Stafford moves to another team the production will likely improve.  similar to when Miami dumped Tannehill.

of course that is assuming he goes to a team that knows what they are doing.

with the talk of Brees retiring the Saints would be an interesting option.  I don't know if NO would want to pay the price to get him, but still interesting to think about.

honestly the price may not be THAT high.  but NO may actually prefer to go with the QB's they have.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:21 PM, polecatt said:

I don't know why they think he's the problem, but okay.

Hopefully we'll get to see how good he is on a team that isn't a complete mess every year

It's not that he's the problem. It's that he's not the solution. By the time the Lions get things sorted out Stafford will be too old.

34 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think the Colts give up picks 21 and 83 for Stafford.

That would be a nice fit, a team that's already in the playoffs

1 minute ago, polecatt said:

And they have the cap space.

OH HELL YEAH.  gimme some Matthew Stafford to the 49ers cause Jimmy G is NOT gonna win us a superbowl. We definitely stand a better chance of getting our 6th ring with Stafford. Hope they take a serious shot at him and ship mister GQ back to the Patriots. Hell, Belicheck probably wouldn't even want him back there now.

Stafford is another great pick for the Panthers.  

On 1/26/2021 at 9:20 AM, polecatt said:

and they are in a different conference.  that is key.

Lions would love for Stafford to not be traded within the division but would especially love to send him to a different conference. 

To me, this cements the Colts as the top contender. (assuming they want him)

I would like to see what the kid could do on an actual good team.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, kcBlitzkrieg said:

McVay would love him some Stafford...

:ninja:

Darn it, don’t really like it , I was hoping Panthers or Colts.  

Think Rams gave up to much.  

• Like 1

As a lions fan I freaking love this. We are in a full teardown mode. We get 2 firsts round picks in years for a player that wanted out. We can cut Goff for nothing after this next season is over as he has no guaranteed money. 

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

As a lions fan I freaking love this. We are in a full teardown mode. We get 2 firsts round picks in years for a player that wanted out. We can cut Goff for nothing after this next season is over as he has no guaranteed money. 

Are you sure about that? This is from over the cap 

"Goff already has $15.5 million guaranteed in 2022 and another $10 million is guaranteed for injury. That vests to full in early 2022. Essentially that locks the Lions into a $26.15 million cap hit in 2022 unless they can flip Goff in another trade. Stafford would have cost $23 million."

15 hours ago, weepaws said:

Darn it, don’t really like it , I was hoping Panthers or Colts.  

Well, so did i but for some reason I thought Stafford was older than he is.

dont get me wrong, its still an overpay, but Stafford will have a good year ahead of him if he stays healthy behind that shaky line.

16 hours ago, weepaws said:

They did, but with a third of the league bidding for his services, WHOEVER got him was going to HAVE to "give up too much"--that's just elementary supply and demand economics.

If he's the reason the Rams get to SuperBowl LVI (where they lose to the Chiefs, of course), it won't be too much.

And Detroit got the Legos they need to start building.  Great deal for them!

4 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

"Goff already has $15.5 million guaranteed in 2022 and another $10 million is guaranteed for injury. That vests to full in early 2022. Essentially that locks the Lions into a $26.15 million cap hit in 2022 unless they can flip Goff in another trade. Stafford would have cost $23 million."

The Lions made Stafford ten years younger and picked up two firsts and a third in the metamorphosis.

Steal.

• Like 1

Well, nice to know I was right on the compensation of what it would cost to get Stafford...  a first and a third.  Looks like the Lions made the Rams send an extra first just to take Goff.

5 hours ago, jrokh said:

sorry the lions owe goff 45 million but they would have owed stafford like 38 over the same 2 years. Plus they got 2 firsts and a 3rd.  For a stafford replacement. Look at the numbers. Goff gets a lot of but IS he a downgrade over stafford? They both have a 2 to 1 td to int ratio. Stafford has a bigger arm I would bet but AxeElf said The Lions made Stafford ten years younger and picked up two firsts and a third. That is raping LA. What happens if it turns out that Goff is not damaged goods. Tannahill was given away too in a salary dump. It took a change in sheme, coach and surrounding players for him to be anything more that clipboard jesus for the rest of his career. Stafford had 4k yards 26 tds and 10 ints this year. Goff had 3900 20 and 13. That is damn near the same player and add in 2 firsts and a 3rd that is a fleecing. 

Edited by kilroy69

19 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

sorry the lions owe goff 45 million but they would have owed stafford like 38 over the same 2 years. Plus they got 2 firsts and a 3rd.  For a stafford replacement. Look at the numbers. Goff gets a lot of but IS he a downgrade over stafford? They both have a 2 to 1 td to int ratio. Stafford has a bigger arm I would bet but AxeElf said The Lions made Stafford ten years younger and picked up two firsts and a third. That is raping LA. What happens if it turns out that Goff is not damaged goods. Tannahill was given away too in a salary dump. It took a change in sheme, coach and surrounding players for him to be anything more that clipboard jesus for the rest of his career. Stafford had 4k yards 26 tds and 10 ints this year. Goff had 3900 20 and 13. That is damn near the same player and add in 2 firsts and a 3rd that is a fleecing. 

The thing that's missing is that Stafford played with below average talent for the most part, and idiot coaches.  Goff played with an excellent supporting cast and a great coach.  Yeah, I know, Stafford had Calvin Johnson... but outside of Lions fans, I don't think anyone could name another player (or their coach), in any of those seasons.  There's a reason for that.  It's because they all sucked.

That said, this is a good deal for the Lions because in the next 2 years, even if Jesus Christ was their QB, they wouldn't make the playoffs.  At least now, they get 2 extra first round picks for sucking.  Goff also ensures that they have a top 5 pick next year to boot.

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Well, so did i but for some reason I thought Stafford was older than he is.

dont get me wrong, its still an overpay, but Stafford will have a good year ahead of him if he stays healthy behind that shaky line.

What the rams paid for him, a good year isn’t good enough, I think they paid for him to get them to the Super Bowl, and I don’t think they can with Stafford or with Goff. 

Thanks