Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

UPDATE: Lions trade Matthew Stafford to Rams

3 hours ago, t.j said:

I hadn't thought to look at Detroit's contracts, but you're right, he a UFA. I guess I knew that from a different discussion but forgot about it. Can't blame anyone that wants out of Detroit, I agree.

Hell no.  Anyone who puts their time in for the Lions deserves to get out.  Godspeed Marvin Jones

9 hours ago, t.j said:

That's high school.

When you're the 4th-fastest high schooler in America, and the 11th-fastest high schooler in the world, you're still faster than most everyone in your age group--and you most certainly can take the top off a defense, which he will do frequently next year with Stafford at the helm.

Woods is effectively quite a bit faster than 4.5.

18 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

When you're the 4th-fastest high schooler in America, and the 11th-fastest high schooler in the world, you're still faster than most everyone in your age group--and you most certainly can take the top off a defense, which he will do frequently next year with Stafford at the helm.

Woods is effectively quite a bit faster than 4.5.

He ran 200m and 400m. Even at distances of 100m the top sprinters start to lose speed before the finish. 200-400m is practically long-distance running (stamina-based) compared to football.

2 hours ago, t.j said:

He ran 200m and 400m. Even at distances of 100m the top sprinters start to lose speed before the finish. 200-400m is practically long-distance running (stamina-based) compared to football.

Like I give a flying football what you think it's "practically" like; those races are still "officially" classified as sprints--with lanes, starting blocks and all.

Woods ran an official 4.51 at the combine. Fast, but not take the top off the defense fast....

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Like I give a flying football what you think it's "practically" like; those races are still "officially" classified as sprints--with lanes, starting blocks and all.

I don't care what they are officially classified as, and neither do NFL DBs

8 minutes ago, t.j said:

you are correct. The average combine 40 time for a DB from 2000-2012 was 4.48. Probably even faster now. Thus Woods will almost always be matched up against a DB who is 'faster'. Woods can still beat his man with a great route, but doesn't have the wheels to beat a safety over the top. That being said, I do think Stafford boosts his fantasy stock a tad...

2 hours ago, t.j said:

I see that.  Good way to excuse yourself from the conversation.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

The average combine 40 time for a DB from 2000-2012 was 4.48. Probably even faster now. Thus Woods will almost always be matched up against a DB who is 'faster'. 

Except Woods is faster than that.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Except Woods is faster than that.

His combine 40 time was a 4.51, that is generally how straight line speed is measured. 4.51 is less than 4.48 in reality...

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

His combine 40 time was a 4.51

I know, but as I said in a previous post, Woods is effectively faster than that.  Maybe it was a bad day, maybe a gust of wind, maybe a pebble, doesn't take much to shave a tenth of a second or two for this reason or that on his combine attempt.

But he's faster than that.  He was the 11th-fastest sprinter in the WORLD a few years ago.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

He was the 11th-fastest sprinter in the WORLD a few years ago.

You mean 10 years ago, when he was in high school? Perhaps he was the fastest back then, but he has most definitely lost a step or three since then. He isn't faster than any CB he lines up against. Luckily for him speed isn't the most important thing a wr needs to be successful, or Mecole Hardman would be unstoppable, instead of meh...

39 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Luckily for him speed isn't the most important thing a wr needs to be successful...

True.  A QB like Stafford who can take advantage of his speed is also vital.

Hey, I'm not here to quibble over tenths of a second.  I'm just alerting the masses to a top 5 WR next season who can be had for a third round price.  Take advantage of it if you want, miss out if you don't; Axe Elf's feelings aren't going to be hurt either way.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, Jarvis Basnight said:

I watched the replay a few times.  Could he have not realized where he was when sliding?  Absolutely.  But isn't it his job to know where he is and what he needs?  You can see he goes down in anticipation of being hit.  

Everything I've read or watched has stated that McVay and the rams don't feel like they can win with Goff.  They felt that they had to make a move.

well, mistakes like this happen.   while I'd agree the time  to not slide would  be when your playoff life is at stake.  put the  shoulder down and make  sure you get the yardage.

that  being said, Goff was also playing  with a injured hand.  I  dont remember if it  was  his thumb or what it  was but I seem to remember it was a significant injury.

I  honestly didnt think hed be able to come back from it as quick as he did.

Either way, hes  still a young kid with stuff to learn.   what the Rams are buying is  the experience Stafford  brings.   

I do think Stafford has a very good season in LA.   possibly one of the  best 2  or 3 of his career.   I am amazed the Lions wanted  to dump him.

Either way, They will get another chance or two in the coming years.   I  think they really need help on Defense.  I hope they have the good  sense to spend the draft capital there.

On 1/31/2021 at 3:43 PM, Jarvis Basnight said:

Stafford told the Lions he'd go for any trade except to New England.  That is so awesome.  F you Patricia you slob.  You're not welcome in the state of Michigan again.  

Stafford wanted to work with McVay and vice versa.  They had some sort of connection before too I've heard.  Detroit did Stafford right for giving everything he had.  Lion fans are grateful to Stafford and are rooting for him.

Goff is nothing special at all.  Stopgap.  Hopefully Detroit can get a stud QB of their own this or next year.  Just not Fields because he's got bust written all over him.

Everyone is happy in this trade.  The 1st rounders could be the key to Detroit finally putting together a solid team.  Quinn and Patricia set the team even farther back from the contenders but maybe the new regime can pull them out of the darkness in a few years.

If cleveland can do it, you can too.

5 hours ago, taco breath said:

If cleveland can do it, you can too.

😎. That is very real and Lion fans say it all the time.  Cleveland gives hope to other NFL punchlines