Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Super Bowl 55: Chiefs v Buccaneers

I blame @MikeFFToday

Should have let me start the game thread

1 hour ago, Lawyersgunzand $ said:

Great game, Tampa Bay earned it. K C o-line banged up but everyone knew that a week ago. Reid/staff have been around for ever and from what I could see made zero adjustments. T B took away Hill, where have we seen that before, and the TB front 4 had Mahomes running for his life all day. The Chiefs have gotten away with this "game plan" many times but yesterday they fell flat. Off season should be very interesting. 

Reid totally sucks. He wastes talent like the worst of them. Last year he was lucky he was facing an equally bigger buffoon in shanahan. This year he faced a buffoon that knows he's a buffoon and stepped back to let his coaches and Brady win the game for him. At the start of the year Arians tried to continue his throw deep game and eventually Brady told him he's an idiot. That's when it turned around for TB. Reid went full blown stupid with a game plan that took Hill out of the game and did not compensate for the loss of 2 starting tackles. hey dumbass, a slant pass will work. Runnign Hill 5 yards behind the LOS is simply taking him out of the play. O is struggling and the idiot calls 2 timeouts with less than a minute actually thinks he could score IF they got the ball back. Dude is fockin dumb.

25 minutes ago, posty said:

:lol:

Maybe the Chiefs needed to stop committing penalties...

The idiot D lineman started that ball rolling. Then the stupid lining up offsides on a FG attempt. Just horrible Andy Reid coaching. Brady outcoached him easily. 

Stop with the blaming the refs. Yes, it wasn’t the best officiated game, but you’re honestly telling me KC would have had a shot even if it was perfectly officiated?  TB D dominated on almost every play.  Don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t excuse bad officiating, but let’s no go over board and say “the refs won the game for TB”. This is coming from the biggest TB12 hater out there by the way.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Stop with the blaming the refs. 

That is what fans of losing teams always do, especially Steeler fans...

Personally, I thought this was a GREAT game!

I think there's plenty enough blame to go around on KC.  Everyone in the world knew that Tampa had a great pass rush and front 7.  They also knew KC had a lot of impactful injuries on the OLine.  So... why was KC in 4 wides (3 WR's and Kelce), all game?  Tampa played Cover-2 almost the entire night, kind of like the Bucs of old (that held that vaunted STL offense to only 9 points... coincidence?  I think not).  They allowed KC to run the ball and took away the deep passes, yet, they chose to hand it off to RB's 11 times the whole game.  They never tried to establish the run - that the Bucs were giving them.

They also never brought in a blocking TE to help the OLine.  Why not?  Tampa was getting pressure, the whole game, on that line.  What do they say the definition of insanity is?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?  Well, KC did that all night long on offense.  This whole post-season, Tampa's defensive game plan was to attack the things the opponents do best and force the opposition to beat them a different way.  Against Washington, they contained McLaurin and Thomas.  Force Washington to use Sims... who had a big game in yardage numbers, but he only caught half the passes his way.  Against New Orleans, they shut out Michael Thomas and only gave up 20 yards on 3 receptions to Kamara.  They forced New Orleans to throw to other people.  Green Bay, they held Adams and Tanyan in check.  The two had 13 receptions, but for only 95 yards.

Kansas City should have known that the Bucs were going to sell out to stop the big play.  They should have known that Tampa was going to try and generate a pass rush with only 4 guys.  Why did they not run?  Why did they not bring in extra TE's for help on blocking?  Mahomes dropped back to pass, what, 50 times last night?  He was under some kind of pressure the whole game!  Quote from an ESPN tweet...

"Patrick Mahomes was pressured more in this game than any QB in Super Bowl history (29), passing the record of 25 by Jim Kelly in SB XXVI.  Tom Brady faced his fewest pressures (4) in any Super Bowl of his career"

Not only did Reid do a bad job, so did Bieniemy and Spagnuolo.  Tampa got pressure all game and KC never adjusted to stop it.  KC never got pressure all game and never adjust to get some.

Blame the refs all you want, but if no penalties were called that game, Tampa still wins because the Chiefs entire coaching staff was outcoached and outsmarted.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Personally, I thought this was a GREAT game!

I think there's plenty enough blame to go around on KC.  Everyone in the world knew that Tampa had a great pass rush and front 7.  They also knew KC had a lot of impactful injuries on the OLine.  So... why was KC in 4 wides (3 WR's and Kelce), all game?  Tampa played Cover-2 almost the entire night, kind of like the Bucs of old (that held that vaunted STL offense to only 9 points... coincidence?  I think not).  They allowed KC to run the ball and took away the deep passes, yet, they chose to hand it off to RB's 11 times the whole game.  They never tried to establish the run - that the Bucs were giving them.

They also never brought in a blocking TE to help the OLine.  Why not?  Tampa was getting pressure, the whole game, on that line.  What do they say the definition of insanity is?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?  Well, KC did that all night long on offense.  This whole post-season, Tampa's defensive game plan was to attack the things the opponents do best and force the opposition to beat them a different way.  Against Washington, they contained McLaurin and Thomas.  Force Washington to use Sims... who had a big game in yardage numbers, but he only caught half the passes his way.  Against New Orleans, they shut out Michael Thomas and only gave up 20 yards on 3 receptions to Kamara.  They forced New Orleans to throw to other people.  Green Bay, they held Adams and Tanyan in check.  The two had 13 receptions, but for only 95 yards.

Kansas City should have known that the Bucs were going to sell out to stop the big play.  They should have known that Tampa was going to try and generate a pass rush with only 4 guys.  Why did they not run?  Why did they not bring in extra TE's for help on blocking?  Mahomes dropped back to pass, what, 50 times last night?  He was under some kind of pressure the whole game!  Quote from an ESPN tweet...

"Patrick Mahomes was pressured more in this game than any QB in Super Bowl history (29), passing the record of 25 by Jim Kelly in SB XXVI.  Tom Brady faced his fewest pressures (4) in any Super Bowl of his career"

Not only did Reid do a bad job, so did Bieniemy and Spagnuolo.  Tampa got pressure all game and KC never adjusted to stop it.  KC never got pressure all game and never adjust to get some.

Blame the refs all you want, but if no penalties were called that game, Tampa still wins because the Chiefs entire coaching staff was outcoached and outsmarted.

From what I read about the game, KC never adjusted, so I would agree, blame that coaching staff.  

Just now, weepaws said:

From what I read about the game, KC never adjusted, so I would agree, blame that coaching staff.  

Not at all.  When the snap counts come out, I want to see how many offensive snaps a TE (not named Kelce), had.  I don't remember any plays off the top of my head where I saw an extra TE on the field to help block.  Tampa rarely blitzed that entire game.  The pretty much rushed 4 guys like 90% of the plays.

On 1/25/2021 at 3:15 PM, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Thanks man....  that would be the smart money management thing to do right there :thumbsup:  

I bet only the hundred.  I'll take that and championship. :first:

On 2/5/2021 at 5:44 PM, AxeElf said:

Well, the Chiefs should be in good shape then.  The Bills ranked 17th in the league with 411 rushing attempts for 1,723 yards this season (4.2 ypc); Tampa Bay ranked 29th with 369 rushing attempts for 1,519 yards this season (4.1 ypc).

Buffalo ran the ball 11 times for 41 yards that game (guys not named Allen), and threw the ball 48 times.

Tampa ran it 29 times for 147 yards and threw it 29 times.  I think I made my point perfectly.

Further proof?

Kansas City ran the ball 12 time for 74 yards (guys not named Mahomes), and threw the ball 49 times.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Textbook Andy Reid game. So over rated.

How do you stop that pass rush and also open up the deep pass? Dump offs to the RB. Quick slats to the WRs. Reid is way too stupid to know that. 

32 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Not at all.  When the snap counts come out, I want to see how many offensive snaps a TE (not named Kelce), had.  I don't remember any plays off the top of my head where I saw an extra TE on the field to help block.  Tampa rarely blitzed that entire game.  The pretty much rushed 4 guys like 90% of the plays.

With that sieve of an OL, they only needed 4. It was embarrassing how they just threw the OL to the side.as if they were not even there. More embarrassing was Reid standing his fat ass there watching and not adjusting.

31 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Buffalo ran the ball 11 times for 41 yards that game (guys not named Allen), and threw the ball 48 times.

Tampa ran it 29 times for 147 yards and threw it 29 times.  I think I made my point perfectly.

You do?  Well, maybe you just don't understand your point then; let me explain it to you.

Your point was that it was easy to play defense against teams that can't run the ball, like Buffalo, whereas it would be much more difficult to play defense against a team like Tampa Bay (notwithstanding the fact that Tampa Bay ran the ball less, and less productively, than the Bills this season).

3 hours ago, posty said:

:lol:

Maybe the Chiefs needed to stop committing penalties...

Those weren’t legit penalties at all. What game were you watching? The chiefs still deserved to lose but not like that.  Oh and the game became unwatchable at that point too since it was clearly over so we didn’t even get a good game out of it. Seems to me like TB defenders were draped all over GB players a few weeks ago and most people were happy to "let them play".  I was too. That changed in the first half of the game I watched. That’s all. 

4 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Those weren’t legit penalties at all. What game were you watching?

Same game as you...  We have the luxury of slow-mo cameras and tons of replays to see the penalties and not being in the game situation, so it is "easier" to call the game at home...  In that situation, pretty sure a huge percentage of people would have called it the same way...

53 minutes ago, lod001 said:

With that sieve of an OL, they only needed 4. It was embarrassing how they just threw the OL to the side.as if they were not even there. More embarrassing was Reid standing his fat ass there watching and not adjusting.

I agree completely.  The were very stubborn.  They refused to add an extra TE or two, ever, to help block.  They just kept running 3 wide + Kelce, on every play.  They also never tried to run the ball.  Tampa was giving them the run and they said "No thanks, we'll try to throw deep".

45 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You do?  Well, maybe you just don't understand your point then; let me explain it to you.

Your point was that it was easy to play defense against teams that can't run the ball, like Buffalo, whereas it would be much more difficult to play defense against a team like Tampa Bay (notwithstanding the fact that Tampa Bay ran the ball less, and less productively, than the Bills this season).

Wrong, my point was when teams "DON'T" run the ball.

Here was my full sentence: "Now, if you want to talk about the Buffalo, I could make the argument that it's not that hard to play defense against a team that doesn't run the ball."

Buffalo was winning 9-0, then 9-7 after the first 4 drives.  In those drives they had 22 plays and handed it off 4 times.  They had the lead and control of the game flow... and ran the ball 4 times.  It's not hard for a defense to adjust when the opponent doesn't want to run the ball.

Conversely, in Tampa's first 4 drives, up 7-3, they ran 24 plays... of which, they ran the ball 13 times.

45 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You’re comparing the running games of Buffalo and Tampa using the whole season as a gauge? Things do change you know, and Tampa’s running game improved as the playoffs wore on and Buffalos was dead in the water at end of the regular season. Proper perspective is needed to evaluate these situations. Stats from September don’t really help. You’re welcome. 

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Wrong, my point was when teams "DON'T" run the ball.

Whether they don't because they can't or because they don't want to is irrelevant; but then I don't need to point that out to any reasonable person.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You’re comparing the running games of Buffalo and Tampa using the whole season as a gauge?

Yes, because that was the context of the claim.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:37 AM, AxeElf said:

No, not a surprise to anyone at all that a fan would be looking forward to their team in the SuperBowl next year.  I think all five billion football fans made the same call in March about all 32 teams.

I went a little further, saying in February that the Chiefs would win three of the next five SuperBowls.

Unreasonable person. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You’re comparing the running games of Buffalo and Tampa using the whole season as a gauge? Things do change you know, and Tampa’s running game improved as the playoffs wore on and Buffalos was dead in the water at end of the regular season. Proper perspective is needed to evaluate these situations. Stats from September don’t really help. You’re welcome. 

He's arguing against a point I didn't make... then tried to force me into making that point that he's arguing against.  

I never said anything about the season.  I mentioned the game. :dunno:

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

Yes, because that was the context of the claim.

You should have dismissed the claim then and pointed out that the last part of the season is the relevant part.

27 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You should have dismissed the claim then and pointed out that the last part of the season is the relevant part.

Tampa pretty much had consistently ran the ball about 23 times per game throughout the whole season.  So that's really not much of an issue.  They did have a higher ypc in the post-season, but that's not really the issue either.  I said that it wasn't hard for the Chiefs to beat a team who was one-dimensional.  The Bills chose not to run that game... and they were the same way in their two prior post-season games.  In the first game, they passed 35 times and ran it 10 times.  In the second game, they passed 37 times and ran it 9 times.  Two games... 72 pass plays and 19 rushing plays.  Those 19 rushes also yielded only 70 yards, so only 3.7 yards per carry.

Conversely, in Tampa's 3 post season games, they ran the ball 26 times per game (up 3), and rushed for 4.4 yards per carry.  The passed the ball 36 times per game (down 2).  So Tampa was running more and throwing less... but not by a big margin, but the issue is, they were doing both and consistently.  They were also showing signs of running more and passing less.  Buffalo was the exact opposite.

So, in the playoffs, Buffalo wasn't running the ball and didn't against KC.  Tampa was running the ball in the playoffs and did so against KC.  Buffalo (and Cleveland), were one-dimensional teams... Tampa wasn't.

46 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You educate your way; Axe Elf will educate his way.

If the refs had stopped counting points when they were supposed to, the Chiefs would have won 3-0.  It's only all the fraudulent points scored later by Tampa Bay that makes it look like they won.

3 hours ago, posty said:

That is what fans of losing teams always do, especially Steeler fans...

This Chiefs fan isn't blaming anybody, our team got outplayed.

That said, the refs sure did call just about anything on the Chiefs, especially in the first half.  Seemed like there were an awful lot of ticky tack calls that went the way of the Bucs.

4 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

This Chiefs fan isn't blaming anybody, our team got outplayed.

That said, the refs sure did call just about anything on the Chiefs, especially in the first half.  Seemed like there were an awful lot of ticky tack calls that went the way of the Bucs.

That second half of your post, sounds like your blaming someone for how awful KC played.  

I think they will be the next one and done team. 

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

That second half of your post, sounds like your blaming someone for how awful KC played.  

I think they will be the next one and done team. 

Not at all.  Our o-line did not play well, and having both tackles out and a starting guard opt-out before the season started is the primary reason we couldn't do anything on offense.  Mahomes had no time to throw the ball and it showed.

My point was that the refs weren't allowing the Chiefs to guard as they had schemed and planned for the game.  And the Chiefs never adjusted.  That said, I think it was called a bit too tight and isn't how I would like to see any NFL game officiated.  But the Chiefs did not make appropriate adjustments after the first few penalties, and they should have.  But if they did, there is no way they could have slowed the Bucs passing attack down, so it was a lose-lose proposition.

29 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Not at all.  Our o-line did not play well, and having both tackles out and a starting guard opt-out before the season started is the primary reason we couldn't do anything on offense.  Mahomes had no time to throw the ball and it showed.

My point was that the refs weren't allowing the Chiefs to guard as they had schemed and planned for the game.  And the Chiefs never adjusted.  That said, I think it was called a bit too tight and isn't how I would like to see any NFL game officiated.  But the Chiefs did not make appropriate adjustments after the first few penalties, and they should have.  But if they did, there is no way they could have slowed the Bucs passing attack down, so it was a lose-lose proposition.

Yawn. 

40 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Yawn. 

Yeah... Tampa lost their starting TE in Week 4 and best OL (starting RG), in the playoff game vs Washington, but I never brought that up once prior to the game.  Guess it was because my team was able to adjust and deal with it.  :dunno:

7 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Stop with the blaming the refs. Yes, it wasn’t the best officiated game, but you’re honestly telling me KC would have had a shot even if it was perfectly officiated?  TB D dominated on almost every play.  Don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t excuse bad officiating, but let’s no go over board and say “the refs won the game for TB”. This is coming from the biggest TB12 hater out there by the way.  

I agree with all of this, except you're the second-biggest TB12 hater

• Like 1

I wonder what G Laurent Devarney-Tardiff and rookie 3rd rd Tackle Lucas Niang who both opted out prior to the season felt watching that disastrous offensive performance last night.

Like they weren’t the problem for that beat down. 

16 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Don’t waste your time with Brady-lickers.  He’s lucky to have been on that team. What did he do again? Oh...some easy TD passes to Gronk who the chiefs defense couldn’t get within 5 yards of or they’d get flagged.  Hilarious. 

The Bucs defense won the game, 100% and were the only MVP on that field tat day.  Eli Brady played decent is all. :)