Sign in to follow this  
edjr

GME - Gamestop Stock up $70 today to 148

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Hey guess what?  CNN thinks this is Trump's fault:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/27/politics/gamestop-stock-surge-trumpism/index.html

Fault? As if it’s bad? It’s awesome. Another example of the MSM being  out of touch. 

I'm kind of curious how the same people who would and did bash occupy wall street people think this is awesome. 

6 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I'm kind of curious how the same people who would and did bash occupy wall street people think this is awesome. 

Good Lord.

41 minutes ago, Strike said:

Where are you seeing that they asked for gov't money? 

Not yet but wall St has been saved by the govt over and over.  Remember 2008?

7 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Occupy wall St had no endgame.  They just wanted to play homeless.  These guys are actually making hedge fund people cry

Just now, GutterBoy said:

Occupy wall St had no endgame.  They just wanted to play homeless.  These guys are actually making hedge fund people cry

It's the same sentiment just this group has the resources to make it happen. 

7 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

It's the same sentiment just this group has the resources to make it happen. 

Occupy Wall Street was on the right path, calling out the ones with the power.   That’s why it was replaced with race, as in white privilege. Now it’s all our fault, even the ones with no power. Another great misdirection. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Occupy Wall Street was on the right path, calling out the ones with the power.   That’s why it was replaced with race, as in white privilege.

I'll buy that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

I don’t support protesting it does nothing. This is genius. Plus I can make money sitting at home 

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

Occupy Wall Street was trespassing on public land.  They created a dangerous environment where serious crimes were committed.  They were using anarchy to try to get their way.  What was done today was 100% legal.

12 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I don’t support protesting it does nothing. This is genius. Plus I can make money sitting at home 

I’m against picketing but I don’t know how to show it. 

• Like 1

I feel like this is the beginning of something. It’s different than your usual uprising, for lack of a better word. This one feels like it has a chance to upset the apple cart. It’s caddy day at the pool but I don’t think they are going to leave. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I feel like this is the beginning of something. It’s different than your usual uprising, for lack of a better word. This one feels like it has a chance to upset the apple cart. It’s caddy day at the pool but I don’t think they are going to leave. 

Well, unless big tech shuts it down:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2021/01/27/discord-bans-rwallstreetbets-over-hate-speech-reddit-forum-goes-private/?sh=72421a125157

43 minutes ago, Strike said:

Question, I get half of the shorting equation, that those that short a stock are betting it goes down , by borrowing the stock. But what’s in it for the ones that lend them the stock? 

4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Mike Cernovich's narcissistic schtick is almost too much for me, but he has a similar take (when he's not talking about his good hair and general attractiveness)..

38 minutes ago, naomi said:

Mike Cernovich's narcissistic schtick is almost too much for me, but he has a similar take (when he's not talking about his good hair and general attractiveness)..

Thanks. I’ve been saying that people need to start realizing they are part of the underclass. He agrees. And I wouldn’t care so much about being in the underclass, I’ve been aware for quite some time, if the elites weren’t wrecking our culture and dividing us. They could keep their mansions and yachts for all I care. 

6 hours ago, Strike said:

Occupy Wall Street was trespassing on public land.  They created a dangerous environment where serious crimes were committed.  They were using anarchy to try to get their way.  What was done today was 100% legal.

Yeah how have people not thought of this sooner? 

Just now, TimHauck said:

Yeah how have people not thought of this sooner? 

The ones doing it now are racist, so they waited for Trump to leave office. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Question, I get half of the shorting equation, that those that short a stock are betting it goes down , by borrowing the stock. But what’s in it for the ones that lend them the stock? 

If the stock goes up the person who "shorted" the stock has to pay the difference between the price when they shorted and the price it is when they close out their positions.  The risk of shorting is that there is no limit to how much money you can lose.  If the stock is $100 the best you can do if it drops is earn $100/share.  If it goes up to $1000 per share you're on the hook for $900 per share in losses. 

https://www.thebalance.com/the-basics-of-shorting-stock-356327

1 minute ago, Strike said:

If the stock goes up the person who "shorted" the stock has to pay the difference between the price when they shorted and the price it is when they close out their positions.  The risk of shorting is that there is no limit to how much money you can lose.  If the stock is $100 the best you can do if it drops is earn $100/share.  If it goes up to $1000 per share you're on the hook for $900 per share in losses. 

https://www.thebalance.com/the-basics-of-shorting-stock-356327

Excellent. Thanks.  So the guy lending the shares to the short seller is doing it as a hedge is what I got. I have that right? 

8 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Because we cheer for winners, not for losers.

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Excellent. Thanks.  So the guy lending the shares to the short seller is doing it as a hedge is what I got. I have that right? 

I think the borrower also has to pay interest to the lender. 

15 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

With investor groups attacking hedge funds with these short squeezes on AMC and GME, we could see many hedge funds liquidate their holdings in good companies for a while to protect themselves.  That could provide regular investors an opportunity to buy good companies at discounted value.  For those already invested in good companies and concerned the value of those will drop, they could buy GME or AMC as a hedge.

So at least the free market offers tools to protect yourself and opportunities.

I don't get how this is working/worked. Glad it did, but here is my question:

So folks on Reddit drove the price up "how" exactly?  They all agreed to "buy" the stock?

If I'm part of the reddit group, I have to buy it to force it to climb and "inflate" the price.

I'd have a tough time buying at an "inflated" price, knowing when the reddit push goes away, it falls like lead and I'm left holding the bag.

How did this work exactly?

1 minute ago, tubby_mcgee said:

So folks on Reddit drove the price up "how" exactly?  They all agreed to "buy" the stock?

If I'm part of the reddit group, I have to buy it to force it to climb and "inflate" the price.

I'd have a tough time buying at an "inflated" price, knowing when the reddit push goes away, it falls like lead and I'm left holding the bag.

It's exactly that.. it's group think and rally behind a cause and there are a lot of people jumping on board with like $500 or $1000 because it's fun. Don't overthink it.

1 minute ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Pump and dump. But this time it was a bunch of little people doing it, not the insiders. They did the pump part, now we wait to see what happens with the dump part. 

Yeah at some point there is going to be some pain because Gamestop is not a $30B company.  But their goal was to fock over the hedge funds and mission accomplished.

So yeah it will go down.  But theoretically if you bought at $50, it goes all the way up to $500, then back down to $50 when you sell, you didn't lose anything.

They have to cover their shorts by the close of business tomorrow. Don’t be surprised if a halt of all trading happens. Or at least on this stock. Popcorn. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They have to cover their shorts by the close of business tomorrow. Don’t be surprised if a halt of all trading happens. Or at least on this stock. Popcorn. 

It's hard to even find a platform to trade it on at this point I guess

2 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

It's hard to even find a platform to trade it on at this point I guess

We’ll see. People are buying a dollars worth of shares. One dollar. This is funny. 

22 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Taking it in the shorts!

30 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Yeah at some point there is going to be some pain because Gamestop is not a $30B company.  But their goal was to fock over the hedge funds and mission accomplished.

So yeah it will go down.  But theoretically if you bought at $50, it goes all the way up to $500, then back down to $50 when you sell, you didn't lose anything.

Lots of people had to buy at $100, $200, $300, etc.... for it to get there. 

What about those folks when it falls to $50? 

If they could make all of this happen on low volume, I get it.  Like, If I buy one share at $100 that some had a limit of $100 on, the stock is technically at $100.

But other than that....

I’m telling you, this feels like something.  They can crack down on this one specific group, but it’s going to be whack a mole afterwards. The cat is out of the bag and the copycats are coming. And it’s going to be global. Think the people that can use your credit card from Eastern Europe aren’t going to get in on this? All takes is to identify a target and get people to jump on board. People buying a dollars worth of a stock just to Fock with the hedge funds is all you need to know. This can be the real civil war. Fought from basements on investing apps. 

Just now, tubby_mcgee said:

Lots of people had to buy at $100, $200, $300, etc.... for it to get there. 

What about those folks when it falls to $50? 

If they could make all of this happen on low volume, I get it.  Like, If I buy one share at $100 that some had a limit of $100 on, the stock is technically at $100.

But other than that....

Sure, some people are gonna lose money, but I don't think they care.  Likely the people that will get screwed are the people that are still buying thinking it's actually a $500 stock, and those people are too dumb to have money anyway.

27 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Big tech will influence it somehow, making sure the little guy is still hurt.  Until there is a massive, armed physical revolt against big tech, the folks of the US are gonna pushed around like pawns.