Jump to content
Mike Isles

*** Breaking News ...Stafford for Goff

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

why?  they just improved at QB

Big upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He’s a rookie and missed a few games. Stop acting like it’s been going on for a few seasons. 

This is the wrong approach.  Players that miss a lot of time due to injury as a rookie are much more likely to suffer injuries throughout their career.  There are players like Brees that play thru torn rotator cuffs and broken ribs, and then there are other guys that miss a slew of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised the Lions got so much for their embarrassing disgruntled communist. It helps that the new GM knows the thinking inside of the Rams organization surrounding Goff. I like this guy already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand this trade at all. I get Stafford wanted out, I get Goff is a middling starter with a high contract. But the draft picks?  :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

I don't understand this trade at all. I get Stafford wanted out, I get Goff is a middling starter with a high contract. But the draft picks?  :dunno:

Stafford is better than Goff, so the Lions got draft picks too.  Seems pretty straight forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like an NBA style salary dump trade. The Rams are in 'win now' mode and wanted both a QB upgrade and out of Goff's contract. Meanwhile the Lions are rebuilding and have at worst an overpaid veteran placeholder QB to go with those picks. If Goff works out great, if not, so be it. The can build with those picks.

I'm so happy Stafford is gone along with Quinn and Patricia. I can't follow this woke ass team. It was a pre-requisite to paying attention to the Lions again. Not to saying I will, those aren't the only three that made the Lions the wokest team in the NFL but it's a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Stafford is better than Goff, so the Lions got draft picks too.  Seems pretty straight forward.

2, 1sts and a 3rd plus Goff, when a week ago it was projected it would take a 1st only to get Stafford. This is a SB win or bust trade by the Rams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rams think they are getting a huge upgrade? Better yes, but not enough for all those picks. Lions win this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

crazy deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great move for Detroit getting all those pics for a 32 y/o QB who wanted out anyway. I believe they can cut Goff for a minimal hit after a few seasons. Brilliant move.

I’m not as convinced that Stafford makes LA so much better as to out then in the championship picture, which is the only reason to make this move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m not as convinced that Stafford makes LA so much better as to out then in the championship picture, which is the only reason to make this move. 

I put the Rams at #1 in the NFC after this. Their defense alone puts them top 5 and with all those defensive contracts about to hit, I think it's win now time. They apparently feel the same. No 1st rounder will help win now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, edjr said:

Report: Matthew Stafford was willing to go anywhere but New England

:lol:

Belicheat has ruined the Patriots

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/31/report-matthew-stafford-was-willing-to-go-anywhere-but-new-england/

Highly successful people often run people the wrong way.  In particular, losers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

I put the Rams at #1 in the NFC after this. Their defense alone puts them top 5 and with all those defensive contracts about to hit, I think it's win now time. They apparently feel the same. No 1st rounder will help win now. 

I would also rank the Rams #1 in the NFC.

Not only did they really upgrade at QB, but what most don't know is that the Rams had terrible special teams (ranked 30th) in the NFL last year.  Special teams coordinator John Bonamego was basically "kicked upstairs" into a coaching assistant role, and the Rams pulled off a great hire by snagging special teams coach Joe DeCamillis from Jacksonville.  DeCamillis is considered the BEST special teams coach in the NFL, but when Jacksonville fired Marrone, Urban Meyer did not retain him.  Many think DeCamillis should be a head coach in the NFL actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems pretty straight forward to me. A first and a third for Stafford. And a first to take Goff in a NBA style contract dump.

:dunno:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I would also rank the Rams #1 in the NFC.

Not only did they really upgrade at QB, but what most don't know is that the Rams had terrible special teams (ranked 30th) in the NFL last year.  Special teams coordinator John Bonamego was basically "kicked upstairs" into a coaching assistant role, and the Rams pulled off a great hire by snagging special teams coach Joe DeCamillis from Jacksonville.  DeCamillis is considered the BEST special teams coach in the NFL, but when Jacksonville fired Marrone, Urban Meyer did not retain him.  Many think DeCamillis should be a head coach in the NFL actually.

Gonna be interesting to see how this unfolds. They lost 2 coaches to the Chargers, and 2 coaches to the Seahawks. Still have to make moves to get under the cap. And now have a brand new QB. We'll see what happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Gonna be interesting to see how this unfolds. They lost 2 coaches to the Chargers, and 2 coaches to the Seahawks. Still have to make moves to get under the cap. And now have a brand new QB. We'll see what happens.

 

McVay and a plug and play defense is 95% of what they are. We saw a QB from nowhere run that offense nearly as good as Goff.  I say with confidence that Stafford this year on the Rams is in the Championship game at the very least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I'm surprised the Lions got so much for their embarrassing disgruntled communist. It helps that the new GM knows the thinking inside of the Rams organization surrounding Goff. I like this guy already.

Isn’t the new guy in Detroit the one who drafted Goof in the fist place? 
And now wants to show he’s the smartest guy in the room, cause his original pick “wasn’t” a bust? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not a fan of how thr Ram's are going about running the team.  But they should be a strong team again and a possible contender if their defense doesnt get gutted.

Stafford is way better than Goff.  I mean waaaaaay better.  Goff is what? 25th best QB? I think Stafford is top 10.  

Not saying in a vacuum Rams "won" the trade.  Or paid the right amount.  But Stafford is obviously way better.

Goff is irrelevant in the deal almost.  It was basically Stafford for those picks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Old School said:

Isn’t the new guy in Detroit the one who drafted Goof in the fist place? 
And now wants to show he’s the smartest guy in the room, cause his original pick “wasn’t” a bust? 

Yes. He was their director of college scouting and a big Goff fan. He was responsible for knowing the ins-and-outs of 1000 new kids each year and when the time comes, honing in on ~seven draft picks. Goff didn't flop out in his first year.  Before things went south, everything was peaches and roses between Goff the Rams; Goff had earned a Super Bowl berth and two Pro Bowl appearances. Both Les Snead and Sean McVay had their eyes full of what Goff was about with direct, first hand experience when they offered him that contract extension that has caused them so much grief since. The director of college scouting was out of the picture at that point.

And as far as I'm concerned, he used his insider knowledge to take his former employers to the shed and fleece them on behalf of his new team. Even if Goff craps the bed, this is a win. They aren't going to compete anyway and while Goff's contract sucks, they were paid an extra first to eat it, which is good enough compensation. You get two firsts and a third and the chance to rehab/resurrect a former 1.1 overall whose confidence is shaken with two bad years but has had success in the league. If Goff never does recover, at least you have an experienced veteran placeholder to QB the franchise through a couple of years. 

But it's not a bad deal for the Rams either. Their window of opportunity is going to soon close. Before he became an America-hating communist, I'd thought Comrad Matt was an upper-end/good QB you could build a franchise around and wondered what the Lions could achieve if they ever surrounded him with talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Mcvay is just a control freak and didnt trust Goff.  But they went up to the line early always so Mcvay could tell him what was going on and where to throw the ball.  As the headset expires with 25 seconds left.  

But wouldnt trust a guy who doesn't know what direction the sun rises and sets either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McVay is an offensive genius but the defense keeps winning the games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

McVay is an offensive genius but the defense keeps winning the games. 

He was a genius until the Bears showed everyone how to stop his offense.  Then everyone copied the Bears defense against them.  Then McVay started borrowing a lot of the shifts the Ravens use to open up the offense again.  Its always cat-and-mouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Highly successful people often run people the wrong way.  In particular, losers.

Cam Newton? :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Maybe Mcvay is just a control freak and didnt trust Goff.  But they went up to the line early always so Mcvay could tell him what was going on and where to throw the ball.  As the headset expires with 25 seconds left.  

But wouldnt trust a guy who doesn't know what direction the sun rises and sets either.

15 seconds. Allows to at least read man or zone, and whether a blitz may be coming.

Defenses have adjusted though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

15 seconds. Allows to at least read man or zone, and whether a blitz may be coming.

Defenses have adjusted though.

Oops typo.  

Basically the point is Mcvay is a control freak or had to hold his hand out there.  

Goff is going to suck in Detroit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This trade feels like if I were to trade my 2004 F250(Stafford) for a 2016 Dodge Rebel (Goff)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only losers in this is America.   We have to watch Goff on Thanksgiving.  🤢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

The only losers in this is America.   We have to watch Goff on Thanksgiving.  🤢

I think this is right.

The Rams win because they get out of a terrible contract to a below average QB who will only hurt them.

The Lions win because they get 3 picks (2 premium), to help rebuild their team.  In the process, they'll have a below average QB who will make sure they pick in the top 10 of the next 2 NFL drafts.

 

No one loses... except, as those you mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RLLD said:

This trade feels like if I were to trade my 2004 F250(Stafford) for a 2016 Dodge Rebel (Goff)

I'm not a vehicle guy, so your analogy doesn't work for me. 😀

I will say though, Stafford's only 6 years older than Goff... not 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not a vehicle guy, so your analogy doesn't work for me. 😀

I will say though, Stafford's only 6 years older than Goff... not 12.

Yeah Stafford has been around and played a lot of games but he is basically in his prime as far as QBs go.  I know he has taken plenty of hits though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me for not reading every post but when I saw this news, I thought WHAT ?

As a Redskins (sic) fan and with local Talk Radio begging the Redskins to trade for Stafford or Watson, I am like NO !

The buzz was that it'd take a 1st rounder and maybe a Defensive Lineman to get Stafford.  Well THAT's out the window.  The Redskins obviously didn't have the trade capital to get Stafford and they certainly don't have anywhere near what it takes to get Watson.

My question is what is it going to take to get Watson.  Prolly 3 - 1st rounders and 3 Players.  Agree ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

Forgive me for not reading every post but when I saw this news, I thought WHAT ?

As a Redskins (sic) fan and with local Talk Radio begging the Redskins to trade for Stafford or Watson, I am like NO !

The buzz was that it'd take a 1st rounder and maybe a Defensive Lineman to get Stafford.  Well THAT's out the window.  The Redskins obviously didn't have the trade capital to get Stafford and they certainly don't have anywhere near what it takes to get Watson.

My question is what is it going to take to get Watson.  Prolly 3 - 1st rounders and 3 Players.  Agree ?

The more I think about it, the more skeptical I am about Watson getting traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see. Stafford would go whole 1st halves with Calvin Johnson and not complete a pass to him. Against Pitt one time, he threw 1 pass to CJ, completed  it for 2 yards. Yeah they lost of course. A lot of Calvin's stats came in the 4th Q when they tried to come back, instead of taking the lead in the 1st have by throwing to a once in a generation talent. Numerous coaches and the same results so we will see if the Rams become a powerhouse scoring team or Lions west where they get down to the redzone , kick FGs and then scramble in the 4th Q trying to win. 

The difference is the Rams have a stellar D but it won't last long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lod001 said:

We'll see. Stafford would go whole 1st halves with Calvin Johnson and not complete a pass to him. Against Pitt one time, he threw 1 pass to CJ, completed  it for 2 yards. Yeah they lost of course. A lot of Calvin's stats came in the 4th Q when they tried to come back, instead of taking the lead in the 1st have by throwing to a once in a generation talent. Numerous coaches and the same results so we will see if the Rams become a powerhouse scoring team or Lions west where they get down to the redzone , kick FGs and then scramble in the 4th Q trying to win. 

The difference is the Rams have a stellar D but it won't last long.

 

Did you ever think that maybe Calvin Johnson ran the wrong routes.... like, a lot?  Think about it.  Stafford has completed over 62% of his passes for his career.  His comp% has been higher after Johnson left.  With CJ, Stafford's comp% was 60.9% and his y/a was 7.0.  After Johnson, his comp% is 65.2% and his y/a is 7.6.  Even his TD% and Int% are better.  With Johnson, 4.4 TD% and 2.7 Int%.  Without Johnson, 4.7 TD% and 1.8 Int%.  Did you ever consider that maybe that was Johnson's fault and not Stafford's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 11:29 PM, JustinCharge said:

Some teams over the cap that need to trim before March 17th:

Rams: $32mm
Steelers: $35mm
Falcons: $36mm
Eagles: $53mm
Saints: $112mm

Rams will probably just restructure Donald and Woods and call it a day.

Yikes, even if Brees retires, ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Did you ever think that maybe Calvin Johnson ran the wrong routes.... like, a lot?  Think about it.  Stafford has completed over 62% of his passes for his career.  His comp% has been higher after Johnson left.  With CJ, Stafford's comp% was 60.9% and his y/a was 7.0.  After Johnson, his comp% is 65.2% and his y/a is 7.6.  Even his TD% and Int% are better.  With Johnson, 4.4 TD% and 2.7 Int%.  Without Johnson, 4.7 TD% and 1.8 Int%.  Did you ever consider that maybe that was Johnson's fault and not Stafford's?

Nope. make google your friend.

http://www.daniellewissports.com/route-running-an-underrated-reason-for-calvin-johnsons-unprecedented-success.html

Notice how awful this pass is:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4A0cJu_YDEBdQOalUE0yU2OmM5M=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6753533/2011 OAK Jump bait.gif

This doofus got Calvin hurt many times with his suck ass throws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The more I think about it, the more skeptical I am about Watson getting traded.

Not happening. The Stafford trade might have sealed it. If it didn't,  the cap will. Why any team would actively pursue a player that is moving because of "wokeness" is a mystery anyway. I'll bet there have tire kickers, but no real offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

The only losers in this is America.   We have to watch Goff on Thanksgiving.  🤢

The Lions only took Goff to eat the salary and collect another 1st rounder.  Many project the Lions to select a QB in round 1 anyway.  They might be starting Trey Lance by Thanksgiving.  Maybe the Lions even cut Goff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×