supermike80

Black History Month

5 minutes ago, lod001 said:

What about American Indian History month?

Which month is Asian History Month?

Lets not forget about the Latino History Month.

I think the black American is unique in it's contribution to this society. 

Certainly, every culture and ethnicity has made this country as great as it is, I just think highlighting our achievements is a good thing. I enjoy it anyway. 

ETA,

One day I hope Black History Month won't be needed. I hope one day we won't even call people black or African American (which is ridiculous because no one in my family has stepped foot in Africa in hundreds of years), but simply American. 

• Haha 3

13% of the population.  If you watch the news you think it was 93%.  This is just a factual observation.  

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I grew up in a black neighborhood and went to a predominantly black school. I've had plenty of black history.

Calling it black history is racist. It's just history. Not sure why you seperate it from all other history. Seems like something a racist would want.

I'm 45 years old and have noticed a trend.  This is just my personal observation but I am similar to you. I grew up lower middle class and went to at least a 50/50 racially diverse high school. 

The uber elite, predominantly white schooling upper middle class schmucks who have the power in America are the one's trying to tell everybody else what to think.  

White guilt is really wealth guilt, just misguided due to media perpetuation. 

4 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I'm 45 years old and have noticed a trend.  This is just my personal observation but I am similar to you. I grew up lower middle class and went to at least a 50/50 racially diverse high school. 

The uber elite, predominantly white schooling upper middle class schmucks who have the power in America are the one's trying to tell everybody else what to think.  

White guilt is really wealth guilt, just misguided due to media perpetuation. 

:thumbsup: This and it drives me crazy.

If learning about black history makes you feel guilty, should we not discuss black history to spare your feelings? 

I remember all while growing up even into my 40s, that Los Angeles and New York never looked in the movies or on TV (Friends or Seinfeld) what it looked like in real life. New York on the street, especially when I was growing up was very diverse. Yet in movies and TV shows it was exclusively white. Yo, that’s a lie. Most major cities have lots of black and brown people. We may not be the majority but we are a large part of urban centers where TV shows and movies filmed. That is why you see us everywhere on TV. Added, that many movies are now being made in places like Atlanta and New Orleans which are saturated with black people.

14 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

It’s only a matter of time until the anger boils over for it being the shortest month and they clamor for a month with 31 days. Then a season. Then the entire year. 

Can't be a year, LGBQTLMPXYZ need attention as well.

5 hours ago, peenie said:

If learning about black history makes you feel guilty, should we not discuss black history to spare your feelings? 

I remember all while growing up even into my 40s, that Los Angeles and New York never looked in the movies or on TV (Friends or Seinfeld) what it looked like in real life. New York on the street, especially when I was growing up was very diverse. Yet in movies and TV shows it was exclusively white. Yo, that’s a lie. Most major cities have lots of black and brown people. We may not be the majority but we are a large part of urban centers where TV shows and movies filmed. That is why you see us everywhere on TV. Added, that many movies are now being made in places like Atlanta and New Orleans which are saturated with black people.

Cosby Show.  Menace II Society.  227.   A Different World.   Boyz in the Hood. Friday. 

13%.......not 50%.    It could be but African Americans lead the way in abortions and murders.

6 hours ago, peenie said:

God you're full of sh*t.   Go watch some old episodes of Starsky and Hutch, or Baretta.  Plenty of shows that showed diversity back in the day.  Not to mention black shows like Good Times, Sanford and Son, or What's Happening.  Then there was Chico and the Man.  How many do you want me to mention?

41 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Cosby Show.  Menace II Society.  227.   A Different World.   Boyz in the Hood. Friday. 

13%.......not 50%.    It could be but African Americans lead the way in abortions and murders.

I'm not sure what you're responding back to me about. I was simply addressing you noticing that TV is 93% black these days. But you know what? I missed your intent. You didn't mean television shows, you meant the news reporting crime. In other words, black people commit most of the crime. Did you want that message to be highlighted for Black History Month? I believe Strike also wanted that message highlighted. 

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

I'm not sure what you're responding back to me about. I was simply addressing you noticing that TV is 93% black these days. But you know what? I missed your intent. You didn't mean television shows, you meant the news reporting crime. In other words, black people commit most of the crime. Did you want that message to be highlighted for Black History Month? I believe Strike also wanted that message highlighted. 

Again, wrong.  I posted links to lesser known historical black figures.  Isn't that what black history month is about?

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Again, wrong.  I posted links to lesser known historical black figures.  Isn't that what black history month is about?

It is and if you'd stop arguing with me and simply stick to the purpose of the month, this would be a wonderful thread. Every year you all ruin it with your insecurities. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

It is and if you'd stop arguing with me and simply stick to the purpose of the month, this would be a wonderful thread. Every year you all ruin it with your insecurities. 

What am I insecure about?   I'm not the one trying to change the definition of words so as to avoid dealing with the history of her race.

Eh, I can take it or leave it, just let me decide...  Luckily it is the shortest month, so we don't have to be force fed from the media as long...

I take black history month as a time to find out more about black people who helped change the world or did cool things. I was just watching a documentary about the harlem hellfighters of who I had never heard. I mean you can take it as being forced into seeing black culture or you can take it as a chance to learn about something you might not have known. 

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

I didn’t realize that the Cosby Show was still on TV. There’s a network called TV1 (I’m guessing it’s a black network based on the shows...) that was showing a marathon of Cosby followed by 12 hours of Sanford and Son. 

1 hour ago, avoiding injuries said:

I didn’t realize that the Cosby Show was still on TV. There’s a network called TV1 (I’m guessing it’s a black network based on the shows...) that was showing a marathon of Cosby followed by 12 hours of Sanford and Son. 

There's BET, why not make a BHT? 

They could run black history programming 24/7/365. Then we wouldn't need to set aside a month to focus on it because it would be accessible year round for those interested in learning about it. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

There's BET, why not make a BHT? 

They could run black history programming 24/7/365. Then we wouldn't need to set aside a month to focus on it because it would be accessible year round for those interested in learning about it. 

We could take money away from other social programs and publicly fund it so it’s available to everybody. 

12 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

We could take money away from other social programs and publicly fund it so it’s available to everybody. 

:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, peenie said:

Usually, when we discuss history, it's usually the positive aspects. @Strike

I didn't create black history month. I think it's a great first learning lesson for black history month. Why do we celebrate it? I will answer it for you @Cdub100

then why dont we ever hear how great it is for black america today that slavery was here in the first place?

all I hear in history now is white man horrible, destroy the constitution cause its racist

problem is people really believe slavery = racism

9 hours ago, peenie said:

I'm thinking you may not have been raised in the US... or been raised by white racists, because throughout my childhood, there were plenty of black people in the tv shows I watched as a kid.  I mean, of the shows that I truly liked, a good percentage were about black families or had a lot of black people in them.

• A-Team, 1 of the 5 main characters (including the General always trying to catch them), was black.  Eventually they added the white girl and the Hispanic guy.  I'd say that was fair representation of the times.
  • Family Matters, all black cast.
  • What's Happening, all black cast
  • Boy Meets World, predominately all white cast... did have a black become a part of the show in later seasons.
  • The Cosby Show, all black cast
  • Cheers, all white cast.
  • Night Court, had a good mix of races
  • Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, all black cast
  • Knight Rider, all white cast... but there were only a few regulars and the show took place for the most part in middle America.
  • Quantum Leap, only 2 main characters.  Many shows featured black people

Off the top of my head, those were the most popular shows I watched as a kid.  I saw plenty of black people on tv... all of the time.

You all are not understanding that I was only responding to someone who said that when they turn on TV today it seems that the United States is 93% black. I was responding that it's because they're finally showing that minorities are being represented more truthfully. I gave the example that in NYC where Friends and Seinfeld were supposedly filmed, they left out people of color. The cast was almost exclusively white when in fact NYC is quite diverse. 

Then I reread the post I responded to and realized the person was only talking about the news and they were referring to black crime. 

I definitely know there were black shows, which in fact, are equally bad at showing diversity. I think though, that blacks do in fact live in very segregated environments with NO white people around in the ghettoes within places like New York (Harlem/Bronx before gentrification). 

All of this is off topic though...

I am reading a book entitled "Igbo Diaspora in the Era of the Slave Trade An Introductory History", its a great read so far, nothing you would get to hear about otherwise because it talks about hard truths

8 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I am reading a book entitled "Igbo Diaspora in the Era of the Slave Trade An Introductory History", its a great read so far, nothing you would get to hear about otherwise because it talks about hard truths

And apparently a bunch of words I cannot hope to pronounce.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RLLD said:

You know what I've kind of wondered....

What if the controlling tribes in Africa sold off the tribes they disliked: the Ibo. But what ended up happening is that because that tribe was sold off to the new world, the Ibo ended up doing well (biologically proliferating) and are now the representation of all black people. Meaning, when you think of black people you automatically think of the Ibo, not all the other tribes in Africa. I've heard that the troublemakers of Africa are the Ibo and here, we were disseminated to the entire new world. 

40 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

I don’t want to get ahead of myself here, but I think we just solved racism. 

We deserve Nobel Peace Prizes.  

7 minutes ago, peenie said:

You know what I've kind of wondered....

What if the controlling tribes in Africa sold off the tribes they disliked: the Ibo. But what ended up happening is that because that tribe was sold off to the new world, the Ibo ended up doing well (biologically proliferating) and are now the representation of all black people. Meaning, when you think of black people you automatically think of the Ibo, not all the other tribes in Africa. I've heard that the troublemakers of Africa are the Ibo and here, we were disseminated to the entire new world. 

Its an interesting question.  I want to learn more about how it came to be that certain tribes gravitated to the behavior over others, and how that impacted the people under their influence. 

In honor of black history month. Stop killing each other in Chicago. That would be a good start, no?

According to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office, Minniefield was one of 875 people who died from gun violence last year; 78% of the victims were Black.

"That is by far the highest total of gun-related homicides we have ever had. The only time we came anywhere near that was in 1994 when we had 838 homicides due to gun violence," said Natalia Derevyanny, Spokeswoman for the Cook County Medical Examiner's office

4 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

In honor of black history month. Stop killing each other in Chicago. That would be a good start, no?

According to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office, Minniefield was one of 875 people who died from gun violence last year; 78% of the victims were Black.

"That is by far the highest total of gun-related homicides we have ever had. The only time we came anywhere near that was in 1994 when we had 838 homicides due to gun violence," said Natalia Derevyanny, Spokeswoman for the Cook County Medical Examiner's office

I'm not from Chicago so I can't give any info about it. Sad. 

5 hours ago, peenie said:

You all are not understanding that I was only responding to someone who said that when they turn on TV today it seems that the United States is 93% black.

That was if you watch the NEWS.  

Everything is about race.

6 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

When black people stop killing each other in record numbers, I'll take them seriously.

Historically, Europeans have decimated entire populations across the globe and are likely the worst examples of humans on the planet if you use murder as the only yardstick of their worth. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, peenie said:

Historically, Europeans have decimated entire populations across the globe and are likely the worst examples of humans on the planet if you use murder as the only yardstick of their worth. 

I'm looking at the US in 2021. Not Europe in the 1500's.

• Like 2

GC has to be the most hypersensitive easily triggered collection of overweight middle aged white guys anywhere.

26 minutes ago, MDC said:

GC has to be the most hypersensitive easily triggered collection of overweight middle aged white guys anywhere.

:lol: Yep. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MDC said:

And yet.... 🐮

• Haha 1