Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Furniture store owner Jim 'Mattress Mack' McIngvale bets $3.46M on underdog Tampa Bay Buccaneers to cover 3.5-point Super Bowl spread

ESPN

Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, a Houston furniture store owner who is known for making giant sports bets, has placed the largest wager on Super Bowl LV so far -- $3.46 million on the underdog Tampa Bay Buccaneers at +3.5.

McIngvale flew into Colorado Springs on Wednesday, logged on to the DraftKings mobile betting app from the airport and placed one of the largest bets ever on the Super Bowl. After paying a little extra in juice (-127) to get the Bucs at +3.5, McIngvale would win $2.72 million if Tampa Bay covers the spread.

This year, customers at McIngvale's store who spend $3,000 or more on a new mattress will get their money back if the Buccaneers beat the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

Why would anyone want to bet $3.46 million to win $2.72 million?  That lacks complete common sense...

Just now, posty said:

Why would anyone want to bet $3.46 million to win $2.72 million?  That just doesn't make common sense...

Well, that would be a profit of $2.72M. But I haven't seen the odds yet myself. 

7 minutes ago, posty said:

Why would anyone want to bet $3.46 million to win $2.72 million?  That lacks complete common sense...

It's a hedge against the promotion

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, posty said:

Why would anyone want to bet $3.46 million to win $2.72 million?  

People who think their chance of winning is 56% or greater.

• Like 1

He is loved by the locals who post on our texas fishing forum.

I do not know much about him.

16 minutes ago, kutulu said:

It's a hedge against the promotion

I guess that makes sense...  He must be doing something right if he is able to put that much coin down on a game...

Thank you...

1 minute ago, posty said:

I guess that makes sense...  He must be doing something right if he is able to put that much coin down on a game...

Thank you...

From the article, he must be doing a lot right.

He had more than $11 million in play on the 2019 World Series between the between the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals, including a $3.5 million futures bet on the Astros that he placed with DraftKings in Biloxi, Mississippi.

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

From the article, he must be doing a lot right.

He had more than $11 million in play on the 2019 World Series between the between the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals, including a $3.5 million futures bet on the Astros that he placed with DraftKings in Biloxi, Mississippi.

Oof...  I guess he has a lot of common sense then...  I take back what I said...  I guess if I had $3.46 million to spend, I wouldn't do it that way...

24 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

He is loved by the locals who post on our texas fishing forum.

A fishing forum, huh?  

Fuzzy Lap Flounder,  get on it !!

7 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

A fishing forum, huh?  

I told you to stop posting until you see Tropic Thunder!  :mad:

1 hour ago, posty said:

The people who have the money to bet that do so without using common sense lol 

"The bet helps Mattress Mack hedge against his store’s risks arising from sports-based promotions. Customers who spend $3,000 or more on a new mattress get their money back if the Buccaneers beat the Chiefs on Sunday.

Mattress Mack, given the point spread, could have it both ways, if the Chiefs win by fewer than four points. He’d keep his mattress money, and he’d carry away another $2.72 million from DraftKings."

~pft.com

1 minute ago, kutulu said:

"The bet helps Mattress Mack hedge against his store’s risks arising from sports-based promotions. Customers who spend $3,000 or more on a new mattress get their money back if the Buccaneers beat the Chiefs on Sunday.

Mattress Mack, given the point spread, could have it both ways, if the Chiefs win by fewer than four points. He’d keep his mattress money, and he’d carry away another $2.72 million from DraftKings."

~pft.com

So the smart thing to do right now is to go out and spend at least $3000 on a new mattress before Sunday.

2 hours ago, kutulu said:

~pft.com

No push either.

On 710 AM Los Angeles, everyone is taking the Buccaneers and 3.5 points except Steve Mason, who is taking KC and giving 3.

The Chiefs are riddled with injuries, but after they clobbered the Bills anyway, gotta take the Chiefs.   I don't know how the Chiefs are going to handle JPP and friends with their garbage OL.

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

The Chiefs are riddled with injuries, but after they clobbered the Bills anyway, gotta take the Chiefs.   I don't know how the Chiefs are going to handle JPP and friends with their garbage OL.

Three man rush from Tampa. And let's see what happens. I got Tampa in this one.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:54 PM, SUXBNME said:

A fishing forum, huh?  

Why is the ocean salty?

5 hours ago, taco breath said:

Why is the ocean salty?

So you can go to that when your boyfriend is tired. 

Tom Brady is 2 and 0 in Super Bowls when his team was underdog

Tom Coughlin has defeated the following HOF QB’s in the post season: Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady 2x.