Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

So. The 2021 football season

I was at a Super Bowl party this weekend. And I made the statement that I believe the whole NFC West will make the playoffs next year. I was laughed at and made fun of relentlessly. I didn't take it to heart, because this was a crowd of mostly casual fans. Not us nut jobs who constantly talk on a fantasy football board.

So I thought, lemme ask what you football folks think.

My actual comment was. An East winner. G.B. and T.B. division winners. And then the whole West.

I think their point was that a whole division making the playoffs was ridiculous. Not so much that one of the four teams was a bad team. But I'm not sure. There was alot of laughing.

Niners get a Qb, and based on how bad the nfc looked this past season, Brees is leaving. 

I think it’s not out of possibility. 

Mathematically, the likelihood is infinitesimally small.  Even if all the teams in the division split their home and away series with every other team to cause minimal internal carnage, it's extremely unlikely for all four teams to finish at .500 or above, and even then, none of the other 9 non-division-winning teams can finish at .500 or above in order for that 4th NFC West team to make the playoffs.  Due to interconference games, I suppose it's possible, but it's not very probable for 9 out of 16 NFC teams to be under .500--with none of the NFC West teams under .500 at the same time.

In the 2007 AFC South, widely considered to be one of the best divisions of all time, the Colts were 13-3, the Jaguars were 11-5, the Titans were 10-6, and the Panthers were 8-8.  That's just about as good as can be expected from a division--and in the rest of the NFC, there was only one other non-division-winning team with a winning record--but that one team (the Browns at 10-6, ironically enough) would be enough to spoil a division playoff sweep for the Panthers, under the new playoff format.

5 hours ago, Kopy said:

I was at a Super Bowl party this weekend. And I made the statement that I believe the whole NFC West will make the playoffs next year. I was laughed at and made fun of relentlessly. I didn't take it to heart, because this was a crowd of mostly casual fans. Not us nut jobs who constantly talk on a fantasy football board.

My actual comment was. An East winner. G.B. and T.B. division winners. And then the whole West.

I think their point was that a whole division making the playoffs was ridiculous. Not so much that one of the four teams was a bad team. But I'm not sure. There was alot of laughing.

I can't see all 4.  San Fran won't make it.  I have my doubts on AZ as well... in fact, I think they finish last in the division.  Their NFC counter part is the North and I think both GB and Minnesota are candidates for 10+ wins.  Their AFC counter part is the AFC South.  I think Tennessee, Indy, and Houston will all be at least .500 so I don't think they'll be pushovers.  I can see 11 wins for both the Rams and Seahawks, but 7 wins for the Niners and about 6 for Arizona.

I'd say the 7 teams in the NFC will be WAS, NYG, GB, MIN, TB, LAR, and SEA.

I think if Dak  returns to the Cowboys , I’ll pick the Cowboys to rebound and win the east. 

Bucs win the south, but if the Panthers land let’s say Watson, he and Mccaffery and those WRs have a good shot for a wild card. 

Packers win the north.  

Rams easly win the West.  

If the Panthers  don’t make the playoff as a wild card, I think the three other West teams could, if the Niners land a Qb.  

I don’t like any other teams from the east nor the north to make it as a wild card team. 

Thanks OP fun question. 

8 hours ago, Kopy said:

I find your scenario more plausible than the Jets not sucking. 

• Haha 1

It could happen but the odds are certainly against it big time.

That would mean they all have to stay healthy for the most part, all of them would have to go close to .500 in the division, none of them could have a down season. Just those things are quite unlikely.

Outside of that, it would mean all of the other NFC teams outside of the division winners would have to have a mediocre or worse season. I don't see that happening either. At least one other team will get a boost from free agency or the draft.

I could see them getting 3 teams in, but all 4 is a real long shot

On 2/9/2021 at 3:12 PM, cmh6476 said:

I'll take me some 49ers at 14-1. Lots of things have to go their way to achieve it and one major hurdle will be injuries, beating division teams and JG needs some umph in his game. As was said it'd be a small chance all 4 nfc west teams make the playoffs but 3 of them is quite possible.

12 hours ago, DocNiner said:

I'll take me some 49ers at 14-1. Lots of things have to go their way to achieve it and one major hurdle will be injuries, beating division teams and JG needs some umph in his game. As was said it'd be a small chance all 4 nfc west teams make the playoffs but 3 of them is quite possible.

The team I like is Washington.  They literally have all the pieces except for the QB.  At 66/1, they're a great value if they get one in the off season.  Last year at this time, Tampa was 65:1 but jumped to 12:1 after getting Brady.  If that team this year is Washington... maybe they get in on the Deshaun Watson bidding and get him.  It's worth a $10 bet to get in early on.

Think the Redskins finish third at best in the nfc east.  

Oh, they might, absolutely.  But I think they're really only a QB away from being a championship contender.  They have a great defense, top 5 in both points and yards against.  They have a legit WR1 in McLaurin, a legit TE in Thomas, what appears to be a quality 3-down RB in Gibson, and an excellent OLine.  Pff ranked them #6.  What do they not have that the top contenders have?  A QB.  That's it.  A good QB makes everyone better.

Besides, I'm only suggesting a $10 bet, that could win you $650... not telling people to mortgage their homes.

I like Cleveland at 16 to 1. They have the ingredients, just need a little tweaking to get them to the mountain top.  

16 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The team I like is Washington.  They literally have all the pieces except for the QB.  At 66/1, they're a great value if they get one in the off season.  Last year at this time, Tampa was 65:1 but jumped to 12:1 after getting Brady.  If that team this year is Washington... maybe they get in on the Deshaun Watson bidding and get him.  It's worth a $10 bet to get in early on.

yeah, but the  organization itself is a gong show.

dont get me  wrong your  comments  above are not far off.  I have found that  when  you have  a poor organization, the talent doesnt  seen to do what its supposed to do.

I  agree  at  65:1 there  probably is  some  value  there.   Odds  should  probably be closer  to 30 or 35:1 but you  probably  are not winning on that  bet either way.