Sign in to follow this  
The PosterFormerlyKnownAs

Watt The Free Agent

I saw that; and for N-O compensation?!  PFF's #7 rated Defensive End..  HOU is such a dumpster-fire.  Why would anyone re-sign, or go there as a free agent? 

• Like 1

We got your ring, just waiting for you, JJ...  Hope ya like BBQ.  Maybe you and Mahomes can go to the new Whataburger together.  It'll be fun.

JJ Watt was due $17.5 million in 2021 from the Texans, but none of it was guaranteed.  Zero dollar cap hit for 2021 by releasing him.  The Texans have already paid him over $100 million.

I think that is safe to say that JJ has also made enough from endorsements/commercials that he is no longer chasing money.

I would be shocked if he does not go play with his two brothers on the Steelers.  

JJ will make it much easier for the Steelers to let Bud Dupree become a free agent.

He might be thinking that the Bucs could repeat and he would get a ring so Tampa Bay could be a viable spot for him. I could see him going to Kansas City or maybe Pittsburgh to play alongside his brother.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:07 AM, DocNiner said:

He might be thinking that the Bucs could repeat and he would get a ring so Tampa Bay could be a viable spot for him. I could see him going to Kansas City or maybe Pittsburgh to play alongside his brother.

If the Bucs can't bring back Barrett, I wouldn't mind Watt for a year or 2, as long as he's willing to play for a reasonable number.  He did play a full season last year, but in the last 5 years, he's played 16 games in 2 of them... and totaled 16 in the other 3.  I wouldn't exactly consider him a dependable player.

So, is the reason Watt can sign before free agency actually starts because he was released? This always confuses me a bit. 

Just now, Fumbleweed said:

So, is the reason Watt can sign before free agency actually starts because he was released? This always confuses me a bit. 

Yep. Released players can sign prior to free agency.

Maybe I am missing something.  I have always liked JJ Watt and it would be cool if he played for ring.  But I just do not get the cardinals.  Nothing against the team as I know they are trending up.  But there were so may other teams that seemed to fit for him and and let him potentially play for ring.  

Packers - home and could make it to the SB

Steelers - brothers are there and they could make a run ( cap issues?)

Browns - i think they are closer than cards

Rams, Seahawks (depends on Wilson staying), Bucs (if Suh was leaving)

Hope it goes well for him

1 hour ago, yetilives said:

Maybe I am missing something.  I have always liked JJ Watt and it would be cool if he played for ring.  But I just do not get the cardinals.  Nothing against the team as I know they are trending up.  But there were so may other teams that seemed to fit for him and and let him potentially play for ring.  

Packers - home and could make it to the SB

Steelers - brothers are there and they could make a run ( cap issues?)

Browns - i think they are closer than cards

Rams, Seahawks (depends on Wilson staying), Bucs (if Suh was leaving)

Hope it goes well for him

There's nothing to miss.  He took the biggest pay check.  :dunno:

I don't fault him for that, he can do what he wants.  He just won't get any sympathy from me when he retires without a ring.

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There's nothing to miss.  He took the biggest pay check.  :dunno:

I don't fault him for that, he can do what he wants.  He just won't get any sympathy from me when he retires without a ring.

I am sure you are right.  Like you i can not fault a person for maximizing their pay.  I guess I really thought he was going for ring and hoped he would get one.  I just do not see that happening with the team he chose.  

the reason I said maybe i am missing something is due to the fact I did not really follow the Cards.  I did not have any of their players on any of my ff teams.  I did not know if there was someone hurt or opting out on their team that changed their season dramatically.  

14 minutes ago, yetilives said:

I am sure you are right.  Like you i can not fault a person for maximizing their pay.  I guess I really thought he was going for ring and hoped he would get one.  I just do not see that happening with the team he chose.  

the reason I said maybe i am missing something is due to the fact I did not really follow the Cards.  I did not have any of their players on any of my ff teams.  I did not know if there was someone hurt or opting out on their team that changed their season dramatically.  

I think the Cards are a decent team.  I don't think they're a defensive end away.  They still appear to have a lot of missing pieces.  Next year could be different though.  The lack of off-season could have been an issue for them.  Fitz is winding down.  Yeah, they have Hopkins, but I don't think the rest of that receiving corp is anything more than rotational players.  At this point in his career, you could include Fitz in that group.  Their RB's are below average and their OLine seems "average".  They need a lot of upgrades on offense it seems like and investing that kind of capital on the DLine seems excessive... especially since that one deal now completely wipes out their cap space.

They might be a de away.  

Could make a big impact.  

Good move for both.  

6 hours ago, yetilives said:

I assume its about the money, but Vance Joseph was part of the Texans coaching staff for a young JJ. So there is a connection.

18 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think the Cards are a decent team.  I don't think they're a defensive end away.  They still appear to have a lot of missing pieces.  Next year could be different though.  The lack of off-season could have been an issue for them.  Fitz is winding down.  Yeah, they have Hopkins, but I don't think the rest of that receiving corp is anything more than rotational players.  At this point in his career, you could include Fitz in that group.  Their RB's are below average and their OLine seems "average".  They need a lot of upgrades on offense it seems like and investing that kind of capital on the DLine seems excessive... especially since that one deal now completely wipes out their cap space.

13 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

I assume its about the money, but Vance Joseph was part of the Texans coaching staff for a young JJ. So there is a connection.

Thanks for the insight.  

Is the NFC West the best division in the NFL?

Damn! I wish Seattle was in a different division.

I think the NFC West is easily the best division 

So you agree with me once again. 

Thanks 

Good to see JJ hanging around to play some more. Heck of a player and Arizona will be better with him there but they're still the #4 team in the best division, as weepaws says, so they will still be competitve. So, no ring for Mr. Watt just yet.

With all of the money JJ Watt has made I am really shocked that he went after the highest paycheck.  This was a money grab plain and simple.

He chose a few more dollars for himself over lifting his brothers up by signing a lower amount in Pittsburgh.  Or to go to a better contender for a Super Bowl.

I think he made a very good decision. 

Helps out Zona. 

Lets see what happens, and he leaves with more money.  

Good move.  

10 hours ago, Smileseers said:

With all of the money JJ Watt has made I am really shocked that he went after the highest paycheck.  This was a money grab plain and simple.

He chose a few more dollars for himself over lifting his brothers up by signing a lower amount in Pittsburgh.  Or to go to a better contender for a Super Bowl.

This can be done when your QB is on a rookie contract.  Had Murray gotten a new deal this year, Watt would not be in AZ.