Utilit99

Just got off a work call with some folks in Texas

6 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I used to have to fly into Detroit and work in a town called Jackson in Michigan for about 8 months. I think it was Jackson. They had nothing in that city around where I worked except some ghetto, and a huge prison, and a McDonalds, and a gas station right next store that made delicious breakfast sandwiches. Yum.

But the McDonalds was doing fine anyway.  

Jackson is where @kilroy69 lives. They do have a big prison but that’s all I know about it. 

20 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I think that was his point.   For the people that are used to it it doesn’t really come up...

Weather comes up all the time. Where I live we got about 20 inches of snow in one day a week or two ago. It happens. But people still talk about it. 

6 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Weather comes up all the time. Where I live we got about 20 inches of snow in one day a week or two ago. It happens. But people still talk about it. 

True.  And tonight down here it will be the coldest day in February in a 122 years.  It’s not like we are talking about some frequent weather event.  

1 minute ago, Bert said:

True.  And tonight down here it will be the coldest day in February in a 122 years.  It’s not like we are talking about some frequent weather event.  

How about frozen windmills? Snow covered solar panels etc... All the stupid alternative energy with no plans of backup. People die because of it.

God bless southwestern China. Yesterday I wore shorts for the first time this year. I didn’t seek this weather out or put any priority in finding it. I just married a girl from here and lucked out. 

29 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Jackson is where @kilroy69 lives. They do have a big prison but that’s all I know about it. 

It is. Were not a destination by any means. People live here because it's cheap and drive other places for fun and work. 

You must have been a contractor for consumers energy. I can't imagine anyone else in the jackson area that could do that. Maybe eaton 

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

How about frozen windmills? Snow covered solar panels etc... All the stupid alternative energy with no plans of backup. People die because of it.

Oh yeah.  Damn tree huggers don’t want to accept that as it is now wind and solar compromise the stability of the electric grid.

In Texas Nat gas and coal are also having issue but not like wind and solar.  At least the nat gas and coal, that is working, can still work at night. 

15 minutes ago, Bert said:

You have power yet?

We are still down, although our fireplace is doing a decent job of keeping the living room warm.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

You have power yet?

We are still down, although our fireplace is doing a decent job of keeping the living room warm.

No sir.  I don’t have a fireplace but we fire up the burners on the stove every now and again.  

10 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Well, they live there and are kind of shocked at 4 inches of snow and below 0 temps.

They also don’t have the equipment to remove snow and ice.  It’s only cold and snowy for maybe a week every five years, I give them a pass

25 minutes ago, Bert said:

No sir.  I don’t have a fireplace but we fire up the burners on the stove every now and again.  

That sucks. 

This is the first time out fireplace is useful. It is keeping our living room in the mid 60's, but the rest of our house is cold.

I was also running the stove, but my wife made me turn it off. I think 4 gas burners put out a decent amount of heat.

9 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

They also don’t have the equipment to remove snow and ice.  It’s only cold and snowy for maybe a week every five years, I give them a pass

The no equipment makes sense but use some dang common sense. Stay off the roads. It’s not hard. 

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

That sucks. 

This is the first time out fireplace is useful. It is keeping our living room in the mid 60's, but the rest of our house is cold.

I was also running the stove, but my wife made me turn it off. I think 4 gas burners put out a decent amount of heat.

What temp would you keep you home at normally?

I’d like to see some northeastern college towns go without power in the winter for a little while. 

I have family in the Dallas area who have been without power for the past 8 hours.  Not hotels available.  No propane heater, and no fireplace.   Gonna be a cold night.   

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

We sleep at 65 and turn it to 70 when we wake up. 

It is currently 56 in the house.  

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Normally our whole house would be mid 60's at night.

I prefer much colder, I sleep better with the temps in the high 50's, but my wife would keep it in the 70s if it was up to her. 

40 minutes ago, Bert said:

Oh yeah.  Damn tree huggers don’t want to accept that as it is now wind and solar compromise the stability of the electric grid.

In Texas Nat gas and coal are also having issue but not like wind and solar.  At least the nat gas and coal, that is working, can still work at night. 

yes.

2 hours ago, Fnord said:

Yeah yeah. I always love watching the southerners slide all over the road when there's a dusting of snow. You can go 80mph on a freeway in bumper to bumper traffic but can't figure out how to get a 2 ton car to move anywhere after a quarter inch of the white stuff. At least we know how to drive when there's a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Dry and sunny is another story... slow- ass Minnesotans... we're only good at driving when the roads suck.

We can’t even drive when it’s raining here. 

1 hour ago, Mungwater said:

True for sure. They should stay off the roads. They don't know how to drive on snow and ice. 

But do you know what they have been pushing for a long while? Wind and solar. 

It is not a great solution at this time and people will suffer from it. 

Green New Deal can eat shlt until it can be proven to work. 

I have worked with these utilities and the people who live there. 

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

56 is a bit nippy. 65 is good. 

9 minutes ago, Bert said:

Run in place for a bit you ##### vagina 😠

How are your folks holding up, miss you mean it!

7 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Normally our whole house would be mid 60's at night.

I prefer much colder, I sleep better with the temps in the high 50's, but my wife would keep it in the 70s if it was up to her. 

Ugh... Women and their need for warm temps. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Ugh... Women and their need for warm temps. 

My ex was like that except she would turn the AC down to the 60s at night “the dog likes it cooler..” she wasn’t the dog, it was actually a 25 lb cocker Spaniel.  How do you know that dr dolittle?

25 minutes ago, Bert said:

Best of luck tonight. You can always pull your vehicle out of the garage and crank the heat up.

8 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Best of luck tonight. You can always pull your vehicle out of the garage and crank the heat up.

I’m using my vehicle to charge my phones and battery back up so I can keep working. 

27 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

Run in place for a bit you ##### vagina 😠

How are your folks holding up, miss you mean it!

ETA: Screw running!  We have been focking instead !

They are okay.  Their neighbors have a generac so they ran an extension cord so my folks have an electric space heater running. 

13 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Same to you!   I would kill for a big hot bowl of Raman from Keepers right about now.  

29 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

My ex was like that except she would turn the AC down to the 60s at night “the dog likes it cooler..” she wasn’t the dog, it was actually a 25 lb cocker Spaniel.  How do you know that dr dolittle?

You have an 'ex'? Surprising. 

12 minutes ago, Bert said:

I’m using my vehicle to charge my phones and battery back up so I can keep working. 

I wish I could work, nothing else to do. But I cannot turn my phone into a hotspot. For years I have turned down company phones and never regretted it, although I am still not going to get one.

I was w/out power from 3 a.m. until 4 p.m. today, a full 13 hours without it. The power grid here was just not prepared for the overload, and in many instances - the system flat out failed due to many other reasons. 

There are still many w/out power - some of them are not going to make it thru the night. 

Height of Rona panic, no TP to be found but plenty of food...... Deep freeze panic, plenty of TP but no food to be found. 

The worm has turned... 

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I was w/out power from 3 a.m. until 4 p.m. today, a full 13 hours without it. The power grid here was just not prepared for the overload, and in many instances - the system flat out failed due to many other reasons. 

There are still many w/out power - some of them are not going to make it thru the night. 

Government is deciding what to do. That's all you have to know.

Apparently wind turbines froze up and that helped create power outages.

We all know who doesnt like wind turbines and who was ripped apart in thr media for not falling into the green line.  

The Dems keep losing but with the media slant it makes it look like they are competitive.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The weather has been nuts the last week. Cold everywhere. It’s been below zero here for over a week now. It’s suppose to be up to the 30’s by the weekend and it’s going to feel like late spring. There will be people out in shorts and a t-shirt enjoying the warmer weather. 

Was -20 for days at my folks' place in Montana

21 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Government is deciding what to do. That's all you have to know.

There are several reasons for the outages, tin foil hat conspiracy theories aren't among them. 

* Texas is on its on grid system apart from the rest of the country and Mexico. In order for Texas to buy/sell power outside the state, the power has to run thru an inverter and be converted to D.C. power, then back to A.C. power on the receiving end frequency. 

* Wind turbines and natural gas lines frozen up.

* Failure to winterize systems over the years. 

* 70 to 80 power generating plants completely offline. 

* Flat out piss poor planning and preparation by the ERCOT. 

20 hours ago, OldMaid said:

We can’t even drive when it’s raining here. 

The biggest problem with living in CO is the number of Californians who have moved here.  Slightest little bit of snow and they don't know what to do.

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Apparently wind turbines froze up and that helped create power outages.

We all know who doesnt like wind turbines and who was ripped apart in thr media for not falling into the green line.  

The Dems keep losing but with the media slant it makes it look like they are competitive.  

The whole focking grid is offline. Wind is doing slightly worse as a percentage, but at this point it is close. We have nuclear plants offline in south texas, we have coal plants offline, and for some reason we have multiple gas plants offline.

It is ridiculous, I did not lose power during harvey, and most of texas did not. But this focking cold snap crippled our grid.

I was telling my wife earlier, I lived in a double wide for ~5 years in my 20s in montana. We would have been screwed if we lost power, but we never lost power because of the cold.

Texas crap is not designed to consider a single cold day.