Utilit99

Just got off a work call with some folks in Texas

9 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

They are expensive but my next house I will install one.  I currently have a Generac 5500 which has come in handy, enough to plug in a lamp, tv, refrigerator, charge the phones and a coffee pot.  Plus I have a gas fire place.  

But my buddy has a whole house generator professionally installed and it’s a miracle.  

That's what I did. No more 'mother focker' when we lose power. Now it's 'cool, we lost power. Pretty quiet outside except for the generators that kicked on in the neighborhood'.

22 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Nuclear is the best option. 

Fuk. You are hardcore. I figured people would just wait it out, but this crazy sumbitch wants to nuke the whole state?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Fnord said:

Fuk. You are hardcore. I figured people would just wait it out, but this crazy sumbitch wants to nuke the whole state?

Would solve the cold problem pretty quick.

Come on Texas! You’re better than this. You can bet if you dig down, the same politicians that are supposed to be regulating and keeping an eye on this are getting paid by the energy companies. I bet there are some former ones on boards for these companies. Crony capitalism once again. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Come on Texas! You’re better than this. You can bet if you dig down, the same politicians that are supposed to be regulating and keeping an eye on this are getting paid by the energy companies. I bet there are some former ones on boards for these companies. Crony capitalism once again. 

Cruz tapped out and went to Mexico

Just now, bandrus1 said:

Amazing they still don’t get it. All of them. 

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

This story is erupting as we speak. Several of the board members don't even live in the state. Heads are going to roll like a mofo.

5 members of ERCOT board of directors live outside Texas | kvue.com

19 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

He actually saw the flak he was getting and is now coming back saying that was always the plan. :D

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

He actually saw the flak he was getting and is now coming back saying that was always the plan. :D

Lyin ted

21 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Amazing they still don’t get it. All of them. 

Many roasted Romo and Witten for bolting to Cabo during a playoff bye week.

Cruz just flew by them on the stupidity chart. 

Just now, Cruzer said:

Many roasted Romo and Witten for bolting for Cabo during a playoff bye week........ Cruz just flew by them on the stupidity chart. 

I would have had more respect for Ted if would have stayed in Cancun---he's going to come back and do what, commiserate with everyone about how cold he is? :dunno:

20 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

This story is erupting as we speak. Several of the board members don't even live in the state. Heads are going to roll like a mofo.

5 members of ERCOT board of directors live outside Texas | kvue.com

It’s everywhere. Cuomo with the nursing homes. He hooked up the hospitals who gave him lots of money and I’m sure jobs to his cronies. That’s what that is all about. Made the nursing homes happy by giving them immunity in any lawsuits. We were so much better off when corruption was illegal.  They just went and legalized it, but it’s still the same result, no accountability.  It’s just bribes on the books. No different than no show jobs like the mafia does. And don’t get started on the book deals. That’s a bribe after the fact. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s everywhere. Cuomo with the nursing homes. He hooked up the hospitals who gave him lots of money and I’m sure jobs to his cronies. That’s what that is all about. Made the nursing homes happy by giving them immunity in any lawsuits. We were so much better off when corruption was illegal.  They just went and legalized it, but it’s still the same result, no accountability.  It’s just brines on the books. No different than no show jobs like the mafia does. And don’t get started on the book deals. That’s a bribe after the fact. 

No doubt........ At least the mob never pretended to be legit - these guys make them look like angels.

Coming out now that many of the energy winterizing inspections were conducted by ERCOT.................................virtually. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

No doubt........ At least the mob never pretended to be legit - these guys make them look like angels.

Coming out now that many of the energy winterizing inspections were conducted by ERCOT.................................virtually. :rolleyes:

Unreal. And it’s all legal. Let’s go back to briefcases full of cash. They pay taxes on their bribes now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

I generally like Cruz but man that is some bad optics.  Luckily for him he doesn’t run again in 4 years, I think.

I believe we up over 30 inches of snow in the last 22 hours here in WNY.

Just another day really

High of 77 today in Phoenix.  Went for a hike, did a little work outside.  Cooling down to 72 tomorrow though.  Brr... :D 

Took the snowmobile out with some friends for hours this AM.  

I dont mind winter at all here.  It is just too long.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

High of 77 today in Phoenix.  Went for a hike, did a little work outside.  Cooling down to 72 tomorrow though.  Brr... :D 

We are 72 tomorrow as well, that is why this storm was such a big deal. 

18 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

We are 72 tomorrow as well, that is why this storm was such a big deal. 

Oh yeah!  I have a tee time at 9:00 tomorrow  and we are flowing a sh!t ton of nat gas to the mid west and north east.  

Horrible story.  Seems shady too.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/539579-authorities-suspect-hypothermia-after-11-year-old-texas-boy-dies-in-bed

The family reportedly thought Pavon was sleeping in, which was not unusual for the 11-year-old, when they went to check on him around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday morning.

It's a mobile home (what 1000 square feet) and you don't check on your 11 year old until 2:30pm?  WTF?

Also he slept in the same bed as his 3 year old step brother who was fine.  Horrible story regardless, but my spidey sense is going off. 

Do people not have fire pits in Texas?  I'm just trying to put myself in that situation, I'd have a fire rolling all day outside.  

14 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Do people not have fire pits in Texas?  I'm just trying to put myself in that situation, I'd have a fire rolling all day outside.  

Most people in texas were fine. Do not let the news fool you. Our house got down to 55 one night, which is not bad at all.

In the end the worst thing that happened to us was we lost a mature avocado tree, which does suck and will cost 250 dollars and 7+ years to replace.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

Most people in texas were fine. Do not let the news fool you. 

Yeah. All was fine. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. All was fine. :rolleyes:

I assume you know what "most" means and how it is different than "all".

27 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I assume you know what "most" means and how it is different than "all".

Yep. Mostly peaceful was the theme last year. :thumbsup:

Oh, until it came to the capitol. Then it was an insurrection. Domestic terrorism. 

I guess I don't know the difference between 'It's mostly not bad' and 'It's really bad' anymore. :dunno:

28 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Most people in texas were fine. Do not let the news fool you. Our house got down to 55 one night, which is not bad at all.

In the end the worst thing that happened to us was we lost a mature avocado tree, which does suck and will cost 250 dollars and 7+ years to replace.

“Most”. Wow. 

9 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

How long were you without power?

Hopefully you didn’t have that variable rate plan which was apparently causing people’s bills to be 10+x higher 

On 2/17/2021 at 4:24 PM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The roads freeze the same way, but we have the equipment to treat the roads, tires that are all season, and people who know how to drive in those conditions. I have been driving around Atlanta and Dallas before in a little snow and no one knew WTF they were doing. 

The “equipment to treat the roads” is the key here, which ultimately means the roads do NOT freeze the same way.    

Also let’s not pretend like all northerners know how to drive in the snow.  Last time I got stock in a snowstorm visiting family in NJ there were abandoned cars literally all along the roads.

22 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Most? Wow, maybe down where you were. And if the case, I'm happy for you. 

But "most" is a grave exaggeration here in the Metroplex. 

Was -2* Tuesday morning, my house was reading 38*.

Had a high of 72* today.....

On 2/20/2021 at 9:53 PM, KSB2424 said:

Cant' burn what you don't have to burn. 

Yes many of us have fireplaces - but not everyone invests in firewood, just isn't the need. A 1/2 cord of wood will last me 2 years, sometimes 3. When this hit, many of those who had it burned thru it in a day or two. Others opened their hearts and rationed what they had with others who had nothing at all.. And just up and ordering more wood wasn't really an option.