Sign in to follow this  
Old School

It’s winter- what’s the thermostat setting?

Yes. It’s officially cold. 12 degrees this morning with a high of 19 for today. Hit with an ice storm. Work is shut down for the week. Everyone is pretty much stuck at home.

So- what’s the thermostat setting at your house? I’ve been keeping it at 67 but lowered to 66. Got a little space heater running up in the bonus room and can dress warm so it’s not cold in here.

60-68 depending on whether I remember to lower it when I go to work. 65 at night, if I remember to lower it when I go to bed. 

88 with the windows open to -30 outside.  

fock global warming. 

We keep it at 62 most of the day and overnight, but turn it up to 70 in the morning for a few hours.  Since it doesn't get terribly cold, and our house is pretty energy efficient, it rarely kicks on at 62.  Maybe once or twice per winter.  The house is 70 now even though the thermostat is at 62.  

But it's a dry cold.  :thumbsup: 

Are all of you single? I haven't met a woman who is comfortable if the temp is below 70. 

I try to keep it at 70 in the day as a compromise. 68 at night to make sure my 2 year old doesn't get cold.

We're all electric so I try to not turn any heat on at all.

Use a pellet stove downstairs as our only source of heat. Usually keeps the downstairs (finished basement) around 74/75. Up stairs will be in the 67-70 area. It's a small ranch house. About 1,100 sq ft. So the stove does just fine.

67/68 during the day. 63/64 at night. 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Are all of you single? I haven't met a woman who is comfortable if the temp is below 70. 

I try to keep it at 70 in the day as a compromise. 68 at night to make sure my 2 year old doesn't get cold.

Great point.  Over a year ago my wife bought a "chili pad" for our bed:

https://www.chilitechnology.com/products/chilipad-sleep-system?gclid=Cj0KCQiA962BBhCzARIsAIpWEL3aA-vwuFxcz8B-R9CNJ6LtBeNtxUwpPHXB880szdYGXgVk-J0yH5gaAugPEALw_wcB

I rolled my eyes at the time but it is phenomenal.  You can set the temp on your side to whatever you want.  For sexy time, we turn it up into the 80s so that she is toasty warm and not thinking about how cold she is instead of how awesome you are.  For sleep we each control the temperature which makes it hella cheaper than heating the entire side of the house.

It's expensive but I highly recommend.  :thumbsup: 

23 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Great point.  Over a year ago my wife bought a "chili pad" for our bed:

https://www.chilitechnology.com/products/chilipad-sleep-system?gclid=Cj0KCQiA962BBhCzARIsAIpWEL3aA-vwuFxcz8B-R9CNJ6LtBeNtxUwpPHXB880szdYGXgVk-J0yH5gaAugPEALw_wcB

I rolled my eyes at the time but it is phenomenal.  You can set the temp on your side to whatever you want.  For sexy time, we turn it up into the 80s so that she is toasty warm and not thinking about how cold she is instead of how awesome you are.  For sleep we each control the temperature which makes it hella cheaper than heating the entire side of the house.

It's expensive but I highly recommend.  :thumbsup: 

For sleep we mostly agree on 68. It's during the day that she isn't happy if its under 70. If she wanted the house in the 70s when we slept though, I would definitely need one of these. One thing I cannot do it sleep when its warm. I can fall back to sleep if I'm cold no problem. Not if I'm warm

The temp in the house rarely goes above 55 during winter. The heat stays off all winter, until the elements outside drop below zero. Then I crank up the heat to 58.

19 minutes ago, phillybear said:

The temp in the house rarely goes above 55 during winter. The heat stays off all winter, until the elements outside drop below zero. Then I crank up the heat to 58.

☃️

I feel like I’ve been extravagant with the thermostat set at 67 so I’ve lowered it to 65.

Looking forward to an expensive electric bill no matter what. Yesterday’s high was 19 but hell, it might hit 30 today. 

17 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Same for me here.  :thumbsup:

We have a good furnace and sh!tty insulation. So if we set the temp to 69, it gets HOT while the furnace is cranking, then shortly thereafter it gets cool again.  Doesn't last long  

Sucks.

• Like 1

Idk if I buy all this. All of the southern folk like it at 68?

I visited friends in Austin Texas once. It was dropping down into the 30s at night. They had the heat set at 78. I thought that the room was on fire and woke up almost gasping for air in the middle of the night.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Idk if I buy all this. All of the southern folk like it at 68?

I visited friends in Austin Texas once. It was dropping down into the 30s at night. They had the heat set at 78. I thought that the room was on fire and woke up almost gasping for air in the middle of the night.

Yeah- I think 68 to 70 is pretty comfortable during the day. Just gets expensive.

Im surprised by some of the lower settings mentioned above- I’ve dropped it to 65 and put on a sweatshirt. 

65 degrees while I sleep.

70 - 74 degrees other times.

I'll even push it up to 80 if I get a cold chill, but then open up the windows and doors as soon as I get too hot.