Sign in to follow this  
makindollaz

Dumbest move you made last year...

We all like to talk about what geniuses we are, and always make the right move, but do you have any from last season you still can’t believe you did?

This one will be tough to beat, but in a salary cap league, the day after the draft, I traded Aaron Rodgers for Carson Wentz.  Despite this move, it ended up not mattering, as most of my team missed extended time with injuries anyway.

Others?

Mine was definitely not picking up Justin Jefferson when I had the chance, in a dynasty league too.

I was quite needy at WR, and in our draft, I got Ruggs, Jeudy, and Lamb.

Lamb is a star, was the #7 WR in the league before Dak was injured. Jeudy, I think he will be a good fantasy WR in time given the Broncos can find a decent QB. Ruggs is gonna be among the very best big play WRs in the NFL, and in a league that puts premium points on a TD play over 40 and 50 yards, he'll be an asset as well.

None of them had the season Justin Jefferson did. I had the chance to draft him, and I almost picked him up as a FA in the first week or two, but I picked up someone I can't remember, whom I dropped not long after.

That's gonna cost me for a while

This one is still to be determined. But in year 1, I definitely lost.

12 team Dynasty league. I was desperate for another RB. He was desperate for a WR. I had pick 11, and he had pick 12 in the draft. So chances of us nailing what we needed in the draft right off the bat was gonna be a long shot. So we swapped A.J. Brown for Joe Mixon.

Hoping for a better result this year.

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

This one is still to be determined. But in year 1, I definitely lost.

12 team Dynasty league. I was desperate for another RB. He was desperate for a WR. I had pick 11, and he had pick 12 in the draft. So chances of us nailing what we needed in the draft right off the bat was gonna be a long shot. So we swapped A.J. Brown for Joe Mixon.

Hoping for a better result this year.

Oh man, my condolences.

AJ Brown is one of the last players I would be trading in a dynasty league, although I did the same thing before the season. Our league is PPR and big bonus for long TDs, where AJ Brown is about the best in the NFL

I traded him for Kamara, so it paid off this year, but I'm not liking it so much going forward.

47 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Oh man, my condolences.

AJ Brown is one of the last players I would be trading in a dynasty league, although I did the same thing before the season. Our league is PPR and big bonus for long TDs, where AJ Brown is about the best in the NFL

I traded him for Kamara, so it paid off this year, but I'm not liking it so much going forward.

I don't have much data to validate this. But I kinda wish I did. Because it sure seems over the years. The best trades I make, are the one's I don't make.

:dunno:

Starting this year, I'm standing pat! :unsure:

Haha!

I know what you mean, I've had countless times I tried to make a trade or almost did one that would have wrecked my team

Week 7, I believe... I traded Goff and Woods for Michael Thomas.  You make the call, was that dumb?  It's a keeper league, so I think I'll be ok.

In my guillotine league I made it to the final week, week 16, so it had gone from a 17-team league to a 2-team league at that point. I blew most of my blind bid dollars early in the season so my opponent had a truly stacked roster even for a 2-team league. My team was comparatively weak but I had managed to outscore him in week 15 for the first time in well over a month with good free agent pickups that had good matchups. (Marvin Jones 27 points, Brandon Aiyuk 22 points, Ryan Tannehill 43 points.)

My worst move was in week 16 I went to the FA well too many times, and out-thought myself trying to cut players I wasn't sure I wanted to start so I would have flexibility as the week went on. Remember there games at 4 different times Friday and Saturday. First was Vikings/Saints, I strongly considered picking up Irv Smith (26 points), but didn't, I also cut Adam Thielen (23 points). Next was Bucs/Lions. I cut Mike Evans and started Marvin Jones again. (-40 points), partly because I decided to start Leonard Fournette (15 points) and didn't want two non-QB Tampa players, but despite my confidence in Tampa's offense I didn't pick up Brady (34 points, 14 more than my other QB starters).  Then 49ers/Cardinals, I'd been rolling with Kenyan Drake, but cut him, he only scored 13 but better than what I ended up with. Then Dolphins/Raiders, I really felt like Gaskin (38 points) could thrash the Raiders defense but didn't pick him up in part because he was coming off injury and in part because, not having started Irv Smith, I'd decided to roll with Mike Gesicki (11 points) and I didn't want two Dolphins.

Then on Sunday because I was down by so much (opponent had Kamara, among other things), I decided to start Sammy Watkins and hope for one of his miracle big games since I had Mahomes and my opponent had Kelce and Hill. Of course Kelce and Hill got all the action that day, Watkins barely managed 4 points.

So that whole weekend was one long string of bad decisions. Lost by 99 points to a team I had outscored the week before.

18 hours ago, polecatt said:

Mine was definitely not picking up Justin Jefferson when I had the chance, in a dynasty league too.

I was quite needy at WR, and in our draft, I got Ruggs, Jeudy, and Lamb.

Lamb is a star, was the #7 WR in the league before Dak was injured. Jeudy, I think he will be a good fantasy WR in time given the Broncos can find a decent QB. Ruggs is gonna be among the very best big play WRs in the NFL, and in a league that puts premium points on a TD play over 40 and 50 yards, he'll be an asset as well.

None of them had the season Justin Jefferson did. I had the chance to draft him, and I almost picked him up as a FA in the first week or two, but I picked up someone I can't remember, whom I dropped not long after.

That's gonna cost me for a while

In my dynasty league I was struggling between Jefferson and Akers. I took Akers. I'm not disappointed as I think Akers will be pretty good in the long run, but I think Jefferson would have been a safer pick overall based on how he performed last year. I did get Shenault in the second and I like his future outlook. 

Before the season started I traded away that injury prone WR Davante Adams and I did not keep that washed up bum of a QB Aaron Rogers. 

If anyone needs any offseason fantasy advice feel free to ask. Trust me I know what I'm doing.

Dropped Justin Jefferson after week 2. Vikings looked like garbage and I was in last place. Didn’t take long to bite me in the ass. Funny thing is, I dropped him for Andy Isabella who had two TD’s in week 3.  Fools gold. 

I’ve posted this before. 

I don’t make any moves until week 4.  

Unless I have a player that’s suffered an injury, just for those reasons. 

After week three I was 1-2 and third to last total points, I needed up winning both the head to head title and most points. 

Patience I’ve found to be very helpfull. 

Regular season got Fulgham and dropped him before his nice run there. Also was impatient with Jeff Wilson Jr.

Semi finals: did not trust my hunch to roll with Nugent vs Jets and R Higgins with a healthy qb versus Will Lutz in Brees first game back and Tyler Boyd. Lost semi and came in 3rd.

2 qb dynasty league. Best decisions: drafting Herbert, getting Gronk on waivers ang guessing right with the Miami backfield

8 hours ago, DrG said:

Semi finals: did not trust my hunch to roll with Nugent vs Jets and R Higgins with a healthy qb versus Will Lutz in Brees first game back and Tyler Boyd. Lost semi and came in 3rd.

If you're saying that your dumbest move of the year was to pick the wrong Kicker at a bad time, then GTFO.

If you're saying that your dumbest move of the year was to roster two Kickers, then you can stay.

• Haha 1

Leading up my league's draft, I wanted to be a viable player but had nothing better than a 4th round pick.

So I traded an injury-prone (in my mind) Dalvin Cook for Kerryon Johnson plusI  a 2nd round pick.

I remembered Johnson being a stud at Auburn and thought he could replicate that in Detroit.

I remember feeling guilty that I had duped the guy so bad. Not so much after the season started.

Oh well, I still won the league having Mahomes, Kamara, D. Henry, Evans, Tyreek, M. Thomas and Kelce.

Imagine having Cook along with all that? Kerryon never started for me after Week 1.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, KingOfTheJungle said:

Leading up my league's draft, I wanted to be a viable player but had nothing better than a 4th round pick.

So I traded an injury-prone (in my mind) Dalvin Cook for Kerryon Johnson plusI  a 2nd round pick.

I remembered Johnson being a stud at Auburn and thought he could replicate that in Detroit.

I remember feeling guilty that I had duped the guy so bad. Not so much after the season started.

Oh well, I still won the league having Mahomes, Kamara, D. Henry, Evans, Tyreek, M. Thomas and Kelce.

Imagine having Cook along with all that? Kerryon never started for me after Week 1.

Assuming it’s some sort of dynasty league?  Throw in Cook and that’s 8 guys that went in the top 20 picks of most of my drafts.

2 hours ago, KingOfTheJungle said:

Question, did you notice that the Lions took a better player named Swift in the draft?m

1 hour ago, KingOfTheJungle said:

If you go back an re-read the very first sentence, it begins "Leading up to my draft." So, no, Swift had not yet been drafted at the time I made the trade.

Ok I was trying to figure out why one would trade D Cook for K Johnson.  

You said an injury prone D Cook, based on games played in 2018 and 2019 , k Johnson had missed more games then Cook. 

Thanks  

I drafted LAC RB1 A. Ekeler at .. 1.07 instead of A. Kamara..  Kamara and D. Cook (went 1.06) were both possible hold-outs, awaiting new contracts.  Took PHI TE Z. Ertz at 3.07 as the TE4; LVR TE D. Waller went at 4.02. 

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

Ok I was trying to figure out why one would trade D Cook for K Johnson.  

You said an injury prone D Cook, based on games played in 2018 and 2019 , k Johnson had missed more games then Cook. 

Thanks  

Pee-aw you conveniently left out where Coon missed almost his entire rookie season in 2017 with a torn ACL.

35 minutes ago, KingOfTheJungle said:

Pee-aw you conveniently left out where Coon missed almost his entire rookie season in 2017 with a torn ACL.

You sure about that? 

K Johnson he only played in the nfl the 2018 and 2019 season, so that’s why i didn’t list a season that K Johnson wasn’t in the nfl. 

Now K Johnson was in the nfl during the 2018 and 2019 season, and so was D Cook, and based on those two seasons, and Cook whom you said was injury prone, but in the 2018 and 2019 seasons combine , he indeed played in seven more games then K Johnson. 

So if add the 2017 season plus the 2018 and 2019 season, Cook had played in 60% of his games since joining the nfl, K Johnson 2018 and 2019 season had played in 56% and has been a lot less productive. 

Thanks.