Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Serious question fellas

Any of you guys feel like sh1t. My life is more than half over?

My family mechanic died last week. He was 60. Had a heart attack while sleeping. He worked on my grandparents cars, my dad's cars, mine. And he was just a good guy and a friend.

When my grandfather died. He was the first one to come find me and give his condolences. How great of a guy he was. That's not something most people would do.

How does a guy who doesn't smoke or drink just have a heart attack so young?

I'm 43, my wife's 56. 60 ain't to far off. My goal was to always make it to 80, relatively healthy. Even if I achieve my goal. I'm more than half way there. If it's only 60. I got 17 years left. (That's not very long). My wife only 4.

This sh1t just sucks. My wife has been nagging me. We need to do our wills. I think it just hit me. Yes we do. Anything can  happen.

• Sad 1

Absolutely. And am trying to squeeze the most from each day

Yeah, and lately I've been really thinking about it.  I'm 48.  My dad died at 58.  Say I make it to 70, even then how many good, healthy years do I have left?  50-60 is prolly gonna suck, so 2?  Fock.

13 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Any of you guys feel like sh1t. My life is more than half over?

My family mechanic died last week. He was 60. Had a heart attack while sleeping. He worked on my grandparents cars, my dad's cars, mine. And he was just a good guy and a friend.

When my grandfather died. He was the first one to come find me and give his condolences. How great of a guy he was. That's not something most people would do.

How does a guy who doesn't smoke or drink just have a heart attack so young?

I'm 43, my wife's 56. 60 ain't to far off. My goal was to always make it to 80, relatively healthy. Even if I achieve my goal. I'm more than half way there. If it's only 60. I got 17 years left. (That's not very long). My wife only 4.

This sh1t just sucks. My wife has been nagging me. We need to do our wills. I think it just hit me. Yes we do. Anything can  happen.

Everyone will die... so will I.  I'm not worried about it nor am I scared.  If I die tomorrow, so be it.  I think I did a pretty good job with my 41 years.  Don't fret over it.  Just enjoy the time you have.

51-

mixed.  I have a few health issues i am taking care of. on the plus side, i have dropped some decent weight so that alleviates some of it.

I have accumulated a decent amount of injuries over the years. This sucks a bit... prevents me from doing some things (or at a certain intensity).

But even though I am on the back 9, I still feel pretty good about my life and what i can do vs what i can't.  Relationships with family and friends are strong. Would like to see friends more often, but that will work itself out. Even with covid around us, we still have fun.

I find myself going in and out of funks.  Stage 4 cancer will do that to ya.  I’m 53 and it is a coin flip if I’ll be around in a few years.  Earlier this week it came out that the 44 yr old wife of the DBacks’ GM Mike Hazen has glioblastoma, a highly aggressive brain cancer.  5 sons between 10 and 15 yrs old.  And I think hmm, my life could be worse, since my youngest is 20 and I’ve got a better survival chance.

But then I sit there on a work call where I want to say something, but it is a lot of words and I just got this prosthetic and it is physically hard to use and understand at this point and I think Fock it, I’ll just stay quiet.  Or it’s late and I just want to crawl into bed, but I’ve got to do this 15 minute ritual of fluoride trays and blowing/picking snot out of my throat and scar gels and lymphedema massages...

I try to generally be positive, but this non-stop daily grind can get tiring at times.  :dunno: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Everyone will die... so will I.  I'm not worried about it nor am I scared.  If I die tomorrow, so be it.  I think I did a pretty good job with my 41 years.  Don't fret over it.  Just enjoy the time you have.

Speak for yourself. I'm gonna get me some of them stemcells.

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You just won a Super Bowl. You're still on a high :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I find myself going in and out of funks.  Stage 4 cancer will do that to ya.  I’m 53 and it is a coin flip if I’ll be around in a few years.  Earlier this week it came out that the 44 yr old wife of the DBacks’ GM Mike Hazen has glioblastoma, a highly aggressive brain cancer.  5 sons between 10 and 15 yrs old.  And I think hmm, my life could be worse, since my youngest is 20 and I’ve got a better survival chance.

But then I sit there on a work call where I want to say something, but it is a lot of words and I just got this prosthetic and it is physically hard to use and understand at this point and I think Fock it, I’ll just stay quiet.  Or it’s late and I just want to crawl into bed, but I’ve got to do this 15 minute ritual of fluoride trays and blowing/picking snot out of my throat and scar gels and lymphedema massages...

I try to generally be positive, but this non-stop daily grind can get tiring at times.  :dunno: 

You're in a whole different scenario. And I know our FFToday community wishes you the best.

I guess today morality really just hit me. It's not just a hit the gas pedal, full steam forward any more no matter what. It's time to look around.

10 minutes ago, Kopy said:

You're in a whole different scenario. And I know our FFToday community wishes you the best.

I guess today morality really just hit me. It's not just a hit the gas pedal, full steam forward any more no matter what. It's time to look around.

I heard a quote recently:  a person has two lives, and the second one begins when he realizes that the first one won't last forever. 

I think this is supposed to motivate me to some greater purpose, but I'm not quite there yet.  :dunno: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I heard a quote recently:  a person has two lives, and the second one begins when he realizes that the first one won't last forever. 

I think this is supposed to motivate me to some greater purpose, but I'm not quite there yet.  :dunno: 

I like that quote. Very true. 

I'll be 53 next friday.  Someone better start a happy b-day thread for me.  There might not be many more...the way I drink.  :ninja:

Of course it's something I think about.  But it's not something I worry about.  I'll never forget when I put my cat Stimpy down about 11 years ago.  I remember holding him in my lap after the vet gave us a few minutes to say our goodbyes, and he looked up at me with a look in his eyes that basically said "It's ok.  It's time and I'm ready."  I suspect that's how I'll be.  I just hope it's natural causes but other than that I don't have a lot of worry/fear about that day.

3 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

Your wife is 56?  Damn, must be like focking a Folgers can of fresh ground coffee in it

She may be 56, but she still shags like a 30 year old in heat.  Almost as good as Gloria.

It's all part of the simulation you are part of. When it ends, I'm 'dead' and you all cease to exist so it's best that you keep me alive. Sending me $ is your best bet for a long 'life.'. 

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Hang in there brother! Take the positives and keep plugging away, you can kick the out this. 

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Keep up the fight Jerry.  You seem like a solid dude and this place is better for u being here.

My biggest fear is not being there for my kids as they transition into adult life.  Even though mistakes are a great way to learn lessons, I'd prefer my mistakes and lessons be their teacher.  That, and helping out with grandkids if I ever have them.  Child care is an incredible stressor for young parents, and I would love to be able to take that off of their plate if that day comes.

3 hours ago, Kopy said:

I’m not looking back but I want to look around me now. 

38 minutes ago, frank said:

I’m not looking back but I want to look around me now. 

:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

I'll be 53 next friday.  Someone better start a happy b-day thread for me.  There might not be many more...the way I drink.  :ninja:

I'm close to your age. My genetics suck. :cheers:

36 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

I'm close to your age. My genetics suck. :cheers:

I think that there are quite a few of us around the same age. I turn 53 in July. 

I got a new grief or whatever counselor a while ago. For some weird reason I t was really hard to admit to her that I had a terminal illness. 

Flock. Life is terminal. 

All you can ask for is a fast death. And dying in your sleep? Jesus, you mechanic did something right.

Fock this introspective sh!t.

I'm looking forward to being a zombie. Not one of these lame The Walking Joe Biden type of lame creepers. I'm going to be a full of vim and vinegar type of corpse. Maybe I won't catch up with every human brain I set my sites on, but at least I'll be more athletic than every WNBA player.

• Haha 1

Assuming we don't nuke ourselves off the planet or something,

I give it about a 50% chance science cures aging by 2040.  100% chance by 2050.  If you make it to 2050, they should be able to prevent you from dying.  They should be able to reverse aging in some form by 2100.  The scientific advancement is exponential.  That means it will look like no progress is being made and then suddenly in the final 2 years they go from nothing to they have it solved.

For people in this forum, it means you might have to sit in an old folks home for 50 years and then at some point they reverse aging and can make you 18 again.  The only question is what form it will take?  Will it be mechanical or biological or a mix.  But they will definitely cure and reverse aging pretty soon.  Generation X will be the first generation to live "forever" although the ones that do will need to take really good care of themselves to not die from bad habits.

I want a Do Over! I messed my life up just taking wrong choices and not going for the right ones. Hard to make a comeback and start over at 50. As for death I ain't worried about it and lost so many love ones and have no kids. My mother is old and not sure how many years she has left. Not sure I would care to live past 60 now and this crazy world I can't relate to anymore. Also I believe death isn't the end.

6 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Anyways don't want to be Tom Hanks in Green Mile and out live all the people I loved. That would suck!

No. I can't. I have to be nice after the Tom Brady poem a few years back. 

live long enough and you realize most people are the same, with the same thoughts and same feelings and same lives.  it almost gets boring.

50 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Enjoy life. Don’t stress about the small things. Do what makes you happy. 

Anybody else want to take a swing at this "yer mom" softball toss?

• Haha 1