Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye21

NBA Top Shots

Might as well start a thread for it because this thing is getting very popular. If you enjoy investing, trading and sports cards then you’ll like this. 

I am definitely out on this.  I really hate that people spend their money on digital stuff.

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

I am definitely out on this.  I really hate that people spend their money on digital stuff.

I don't really get the allure of it, but I'm also getting ready to turn 57 in a month.  I've thrown $23 into it so far and it's turned into over $600.  There's something there.  My son draws and paints a lot, and he's into cards.  So he's been doing a lot of sports related art.  He's only 13 but I asked him to look into turning some of his art into NFT's.  He's pretty tech savvy and he's been researching it.  So far, he seems pretty excited. 

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

It’s similar to trading cards. All I care about is that I can make money off it. So far I’ve sold 4 moments this morning for $91. I have one moment worth close to $400. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Seems pyramid schemey. There is no real value except what others will pay. Last one in gets burned. 

What’s the real value in a baseball card?

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What’s the real value in a baseball card?

Well you can hold it. The same card has varying worth. It has been established over time. It wasn't contrived. This is a pure money making scheme. Just don't be the last out.

13 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Well you can hold it. The same card has varying worth. It has been established over time. It wasn't contrived. This is a pure money making scheme. Just don't be the last out.

I’m not concerned. 

32 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

John Wall layup

I got the Tyler Herro jump shot. Lowest price listed right now is $450. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I got the Tyler Herro jump shot. Lowest price listed right now is $450. 

Nice.  The John Wall is now at $300.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, Gepetto said:

The amount of money people spend for in video game cosmetics for their characters is insane. Just so that their character looks different.

Look at mobile gaming. The entire industry is trash because most companies can make way more money from micro transactions than making a very good game. So the industry as a whole sucks ass because of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how long this buying frenzy is going to last but it's been a fun ride so far.  It's been incredibly easy to find good deals and then turn them for 2x profit within a day.  People really seem to buy overnight.  Woke up this morning to 7 moments being sold.  The one I purchased for $25 and sold for $95.  I've been holding onto my Tyler Herro moment which has now gone up to $1000 in value.

I started with $90 and have made over $900 so far.  I keep reinvesting the profits and buying more valuable moments.

So I  bought a pack today for 14 bucks.  No clue what I'm doing and put up an RJ Barnett Dunk for 79 bucks.  Some were selling for 30 some for 250.  30 minutes later and it sold.  

• Like 2

I have 2 unopened packs that I want to sell.  I think I’m going to sell them outside the platform.  

Can someone explain how this works briefly? How do you sell the cards? How do you know what they are worth? Do people bid on them like EBay? 

17 hours ago, KayJay1971 said:

Can someone explain how this works briefly? How do you sell the cards? How do you know what they are worth? Do people bid on them like EBay? 

Not exactly.  Most transactions are done on the topshot platform, which is a huge drawback IMO.  They're still in beta, but it seems like some type of activity is always turned off for some reason or another.  It's also very hard to cash out.  You can sell outside the platform and gift the moments to the buyer, but there's some risk doing it that way.  

The main problem I have is that I don't feel like I truly own the packs, moments, or the profits.  Yes, that's all in my account, but I should be able to do anything I want with them, whenever I want.  

18 hours ago, KayJay1971 said:

To get a good idea of what the value of your moments are worth you can browse through the marketplace.  Serial numbers make a difference and the lower the number the better.  Certain serial numbers bet listed for a premium, especially ones that match the player's number.  Right now the market has dropped a good amount and moments can be bought much cheaper than they were just a few weeks ago.

The first pack I bought had a Tyler Herro moment in it that went up in value all the way to $1499 and I kept holding.  It's value is down to $70 now.  I'm just going to keep holding it.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Mike Honcho said:

So I  bought a pack today for 14 bucks.  No clue what I'm doing and put up an RJ Barnett Dunk for 79 bucks.  Some were selling for 30 some for 250.  30 minutes later and it sold.  

You're one of the few that were lucky enough to buy one.  I had over 100,000 people in front of me and there were only 60,000 packs.

If you want to see how your account is doing you can use sites like evaluate.market and momentranks.com 

My Kyle Anderson dunk that I listed for 99,000 didn't sell.  Hard to compete when guys are selling their's for $10. :(

• Haha 1