Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Boston Bias

We often here about this alleged “NY” Bias when it comes to baseball. BS. If any team benefits from a bias it’s Boston. Here’s one example: 

1995 - Mo Vaughn- 300 BA, 39 HR, 126 RBI, 963 OBPS. Boston made playoffs. 

1995 - Albert Belle- 317 BA, 50 HR, 126 RBI, 1.091 OBPS. Cleveland made playoffs  

MVP- Vaughn. 

Albert Belle was despised by players and writers alike. If I remember correctly. Just goes to show you it's a popularity contest.

4 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Albert Belle was despised by players and writers alike. If I remember correctly. Just goes to show you it's a popularity contest.

Even so, Boston gets a lot of positive outcomes. NY actually gets screwed a lot. Yankees in 78, Guidry/ Rice, and 86 Clemens/ Mattingly  come to mind, Mets in 88, Strawberry/ Gibson. There are more. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Even so, Boston gets a lot of positive outcomes. NY actually gets screwed a lot. Yankees in 78, Guidry/ Rice, and 86 Clemens/ Mattingly  come to mind, Mets in 88, Strawberry/ Gibson. There are more. 

You won't get much argument from me. I think large market teams get favorable bias versus mid-small market teams constantly. :dunno:. So NY and Boston can fight for bias supremacy. 

4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Wow. Some serious sports privilege elitism going on here. I can't even remember how many WS the Yankees have won in the last 30 years. 5-ish? More? And you're gonna whine about this? You should try being a non- New York fan sometime. 

10 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Wow. Some serious sports privilege elitism going on here. I can't even remember how many WS the Yankees have won in the last 30 years. 5-ish? More? And you're gonna whine about this? You should try being a non- New York fan sometime. 

I’d say it’s entitlement as far as the Yankees go. The rest of the NY sports scene ain’t so hot, historically. 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’d say it’s entitlement as far as the Yankees go. The rest of the NY sports scene ain’t so hot, historically. 

It's not like the Giants haven't been really successful pretty recently. When looking through this from the lens of a Minnesota fan, where every team, collegiate and professional, has mostly sucked for a long time and never won championships, being a NY fan seems pretty dreamy. You're complaining about your filet mignon and lobster to someone who's dinner was half a PBJ sammich out of a dumpster.

32 minutes ago, Fnord said:

It's not like the Giants haven't been really successful pretty recently. When looking through this from the lens of a Minnesota fan, where every team, collegiate and professional, has mostly sucked for a long time and never won championships, being a NY fan seems pretty dreamy. You're complaining about your filet mignon and lobster to someone who's dinner was half a PBJ sammich out of a dumpster.

I’m fortunate to be a Yankee and Giants fan.  Met and Jets fans are some of the biggest sad sacks around. 

37 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So awesome that you are trying to right perceived injustices from 25 years ago. :lol: 

Truth hurts, faeg 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Truth hurts, faeg 

You do need to get some sort of hobby. You are even more of a sad person than before. You are the old guy yelling at the clouds.

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

You do need to get some sort of hobby. You are even more of a sad person than before. You are the old guy yelling at the clouds.

Sure. And you’re the guy who has it all together. Everyone can see that. What’s your secret? What hobby do you have? Always some dik eager to come along with his bs when someone wants to talk sports, you know, on a sports message board. Have another drink. 

The real Sox have the reigning MVP. Tim Anderson may have also won it if he hadn't missed part of the season with an injury. Two pitchers in the top 7 in Cy Young voting. The only team I think they have a less than 50% chance of beating are the Dodgers

4 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

The real Sox have the reigning MVP. Tim Anderson may have also won it if he hadn't missed part of the season with an injury. Two pitchers in the top 7 in Cy Young voting. The only team I think they have a less than 50% chance of beating are the Dodgers

Chicago has a ton of talent. LaRussa couldn’t resist. He always falls into these situations. 

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Chicago has a ton of talent. LaRussa couldn’t resist. He always falls into these situations. 

All of the sports talk hosts in Chicago thought it was a bogus rumor. I still am not sure why they went with LaRussa. I think the belief that managers can at best affect 2 games either way is BS. Mismanaging a bull pen all season and not coaching all players up to their potential can have a much greater impact. At best I am hoping he isnt a major negative

Some of my favorite memories (being a Boston fan since 1967, always living in Oregon/Washington) is when Bosox came from 0-3 to 4-3 and seeing those long faces in yankee stadium during game 7-HAHAHA!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, huskyhater75 said:

Some of my favorite memories (being a Boston fan since 1967, always living in Oregon/Washington) is when Bosox came from 0-3 to 4-3 and seeing those long faces in yankee stadium during game 7-HAHAHA!

You don’t count. Shoo