Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

House conservatives unveil playbook on how they’ll fight back against Democrats' $1.9T COVID bill

The largest conservative caucus in the House is circulating a new playbook on how to fight back against President Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill by exposing each of the ''liberal goodies" tucked inside the package. 

The Republican Study Committee (RSC) authored a three-page memo to conservatives to outline "all the left-wing items Democrats are hoping the public won’t find about." Fox News first obtained a copy of the fact sheet that is slated to be widely circulated Monday...

...The memo also calls out subsidies and loan forgiveness to farmers and ranchers on the basis of race and ethnicity; allowing coronavirus funding to go to colleges that have partnerships with Chinese-controlled companies and Confucius Institutes; and doling out $50 million for environmental justice grant programs, which the RSC pans as "a thinly-veiled kickback to leftist environmental groups."

The RSC memo raises concerns over extending PPP business funding to owners who could have a felony record, including "violent criminals," and extending Medicaid eligibility for incarcerated inmates during the 30 days prior to their release.

"The RSC is leading conservatives inside and outside the Beltway in opposition to this so-called ‘relief package.’ The more we learn about it, the worse it sounds," Banks told Fox News. "That’s why we’ve put together a fact sheet to educate Americans exactly how their taxpayer dollars are being spent by Democrats."

The House Budget Committee on Monday will take up the $1.9 trillion coronavirus plan, and the full House could vote on the legislation later in the week. House GOP Whip Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., already told his Republican conference to vote "no," and he dubbed the legislation "Pelosi’s Payoff to Progressives Act."

...gradually raise the minimum wage to $15 by 2025 and guarantees that tipped workers...are paid the full federal minimum wage.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-conservatives-playbook-fight-back-democrats-covid-bill

when republicans give a speech, they should be sitting on the floor and interns should be handing them puppies to play with.  

Why didn't they put a memo out when tens of millions of dollars for farmers went to Brazilian owned factory farms?

11 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Why didn't they put a memo out when tens of millions of dollars for farmers went to Brazilian owned factory farms?

Because they are politicians and they lie.

Now, can we stop pretending that any of them are somehow virtuous?

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If that happens, I won't be tipping any more.

This has to happen.  It will be a great lesson to people for letting liberals get involved in their business. And the cost of the food will go up, so I’m suppressed to tip even more I guess, based on 20 pct? I don’t think so. 

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

:thumbsup:  The whole reason for tipping will be eliminated, so I'm right there with ya.

31 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Everyone will be affected. A lot of waiters in that industry will quit or simply not give a crap about giving decent service if they are just making minimum wage. Dealing with the general public is hard enough. Dealing with people who you are serving food and drink to is a bltch a lot of times. 

The only reason waiters give a shlt about dealing with needy bltchy whiny customers is because of tips. 

It would make it a lot easier to wait on black folks though. They don't tip in general anyway.

100% service at restaurants will turn to shlit. And you will be paying way more for food and drink so what you pay at the end of the meal won't change.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Will you tip any less?

2 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

:thumbsup:  The whole reason for tipping will be eliminated, so I'm right there with ya.

yeah and the cost of a burger will be $25. No thanks

Remember, labor unions collect union dues.  Then unions turn around and donate a significant chunk of those dues directly to the democratic party.  That means when democrats run things, they want labor unions to be as big as possible to get more cash.  This is why they are trying to destroy 1099 jobs.  1099 jobs are the enemy of labor unions. 

Likewise, waiters and waitresses earning tons of cash via tips is a direct threat to the labor union racket.  They want to destroy that system:

1.  force all waitstaff to take $15 per hour to destroy the tipping industry.
2.  now that the money just got cut off from the waitstaff, force them into a waitstaff labor union with the promise that they might earn a bit more.
3.  use the newly created waitstaff labor union to siphon off money that WOULD have gone into waitstaff's pockets and divert it to the union and thereby into the pockets of the democrat party.

tl;dr 

The movement to raise waitstaff wages to $15/hr is just a scheme by the democratic political machine to steal money out of waitstaff's pockets.

or for a REALLY tl;dr

democrats want to destroy freelancing whereever it is found because they can steal a good chunk of the cash and not have to do any work to get it.

Why do they want to keep taking our money? UGH. 

1 minute ago, TheNewGirl said:

They already take it. What's the diff? 

5 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Because they may have to make new taxes that would affect them.  They're being pro-active.

Rino's love to bark when they are on a leash

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thornton Melon said:

Robot waiters! :banana:

We’re almost there anyway. I can order, get refills and pay on a kiosk right at the table. All they need is a food runner and bus boy. 

Just now, avoiding injuries said:

We’re almost there anyway. I can order, get refills and pay on a kiosk right at the table. All they need is a food runner and bus boy. 

Sorry. Bus person. 

This could work out for me. I’m a good tipper. Always have been. Plus it puts more money in social security. 

It’s gonna piss ALOT of servers off cause they’re used to making bank at work for only a few hours of work. Now, they’ll have to pay taxes and only collect their hourly salary. They’re gonna Sh1t a brick when they only make $35 a night after taxes 😂😂😂

20 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

It’s gonna piss ALOT of servers off cause they’re used to making bank at work for only a few hours of work. Now, they’ll have to pay taxes and only collect their hourly salary. They’re gonna Sh1t a brick when they only make $35 a night after taxes 😂😂😂

No way in hell I would do that job for that type of money. I would go work at McDonalds way before that shlt.

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Bus non-binary.

As a bus I'm insulted by your slander.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:58 AM, Utilit99 said:

The largest conservative caucus in the House is circulating a new playbook on how to fight back against President Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill by exposing each of the ''liberal goodies" tucked inside the package. 

The Republican Study Committee (RSC) authored a three-page memo to conservatives to outline "all the left-wing items Democrats are hoping the public won’t find about." Fox News first obtained a copy of the fact sheet that is slated to be widely circulated Monday...

...The memo also calls out subsidies and loan forgiveness to farmers and ranchers on the basis of race and ethnicity; allowing coronavirus funding to go to colleges that have partnerships with Chinese-controlled companies and Confucius Institutes; and doling out $50 million for environmental justice grant programs, which the RSC pans as "a thinly-veiled kickback to leftist environmental groups."

The RSC memo raises concerns over extending PPP business funding to owners who could have a felony record, including "violent criminals," and extending Medicaid eligibility for incarcerated inmates during the 30 days prior to their release.

"The RSC is leading conservatives inside and outside the Beltway in opposition to this so-called ‘relief package.’ The more we learn about it, the worse it sounds," Banks told Fox News. "That’s why we’ve put together a fact sheet to educate Americans exactly how their taxpayer dollars are being spent by Democrats."

The House Budget Committee on Monday will take up the $1.9 trillion coronavirus plan, and the full House could vote on the legislation later in the week. House GOP Whip Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., already told his Republican conference to vote "no," and he dubbed the legislation "Pelosi’s Payoff to Progressives Act."

...gradually raise the minimum wage to $15 by 2025 and guarantees that tipped workers...are paid the full federal minimum wage.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-conservatives-playbook-fight-back-democrats-covid-bill

This whining might get people on the far-right outraged, but it is pointless. 70% or more of Americans support a higher minimum wage. If the House Republicans want to complain about it, they become even less popular.

17 minutes ago, dogcows said:

This whining might get people on the far-right outraged, but it is pointless. 70% or more of Americans support a higher minimum wage. If the House Republicans want to complain about it, they become even less popular.

Congratulations on your raise. I can see why you voted for Biden now. Don’t spend it all at once. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Enjoy not knowing what is going on around you. Whatever works for you I guess.

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Congratulations on your raise. I can see why you voted for Biden now. Don’t spend it all at once. 

What a lot of people don’t get about economics is that such an increase will help the economy quite a bit. Right now we have a lot of money sitting in accounts, not being spent. Stock buybacks, dividends, etc. have increased greatly in the past decade. This money overwhelmingly is being sent to other people who are saving it, not spending it. A raise in the minimum wage would take some of that money and give it to people that need to spend a high percentage of their income just to get by. When that money is spent, it creates more economic activity and more jobs.

Some people think this will instantly lead to massive inflation. There is a point where increasing the wage too much would lead to inflation. $15 is well below that point, especially when one considers how long it has been since the minimum wage has been increased. If this passes, I might recommend buying stock in a car company, as people that couldn’t afford one before might be able to now. Possibly some people could move from renting a home to buying, but that seems less likely at only $15 an hour. The car purchase does seem more likely as the next step up for many.

8 minutes ago, dogcows said:

What a lot of people don’t get about economics is that such an increase will help the economy quite a bit. Right now we have a lot of money sitting in accounts, not being spent. Stock buybacks, dividends, etc. have increased greatly in the past decade. This money overwhelmingly is being sent to other people who are saving it, not spending it. A raise in the minimum wage would take some of that money and give it to people that need to spend a high percentage of their income just to get by. When that money is spent, it creates more economic activity and more jobs.

Some people think this will instantly lead to massive inflation. There is a point where increasing the wage too much would lead to inflation. $15 is well below that point, especially when one considers how long it has been since the minimum wage has been increased. If this passes, I might recommend buying stock in a car company, as people that couldn’t afford one before might be able to now. Possibly some people could move from renting a home to buying, but that seems less likely at only $15 an hour. The car purchase does seem more likely as the next step up for many.

Many of the jobs that will be affected are in the service industry. I’m not tipping nearly as much, if at all, if they make this taxable wage now. They will take home a lot less. It’s actually costing them money and increasing the taxes for the government. They won’t have more to spend,  but less. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Many of the jobs that will be affected are in the service industry. I’m not tipping nearly as much, if at all, if they make this taxable wage now. They will take home a lot less. It’s actually costing them money and increasing the taxes for the government. They won’t have more to spend,  but less. 

I think the fancy restaurants will suffer the most from this. My friend worked at Morton’s and the tipping system is complicated and multi-tiered with everybody tipping out somebody. You can really make bank as a waiter some nights. If that goes away, good luck finding and keeping good waiters…..

As for restaurants with lower check averages… I think the workers could do better in many cases. I think tips at a place like Denny’s are about $10 an hour on slower shifts… possibly higher on heavier shifts. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the proposed law changed to keep the tipping thing intact. It’s such an ingrained part of American culture…

8 hours ago, dogcows said:

I think the fancy restaurants will suffer the most from this. My friend worked at Morton’s and the tipping system is complicated and multi-tiered with everybody tipping out somebody. You can really make bank as a waiter some nights. If that goes away, good luck finding and keeping good waiters…..

As for restaurants with lower check averages… I think the workers could do better in many cases. I think tips at a place like Denny’s are about $10 an hour on slower shifts… possibly higher on heavier shifts. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the proposed law changed to keep the tipping thing intact. It’s such an ingrained part of American culture…

Server jobs shouldn't be jobs that people strive for, but accept as a starter job.  If you're poor because you're a server at Denny's... that's your fault and no one else's.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Server jobs shouldn't be jobs that people strive for, but accept as a starter job.  If you're poor because you're a server at Denny's... that's your fault and no one else's.

I made more at waiting tables and bartending than a bunch of professions. Sure, not in the 70 thousand range, but enough to live well and with insurance. 

Problem is, it's a fluctuating business and never truly stable in many circumstances. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Waiting tables is one of the few unskilled jobs out there where people can make a living without extensive training.

I think that’s a good thing. :dunno: 

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

Waiting tables is one of the few unskilled jobs out there where people can make a living without extensive training.

I think that’s a good thing. :dunno: 

Absolutely, in some places yes... and the reason for that is because people tip them well.  People tip them because they know two things... 1) the servers are paid a low wage because  2) their main job is to serve you.  People tip based on the service they get from the servers.  If the servers are making a regular wage, people won't be tipping as much... if at all.  The servers will be paying a lot more in taxes and making less money in the end.  The net result is lower income for those servers, a lesser quality of service for the patron, and higher restaurant costs.  The only winner is the government.  Everyone else loses.

Now, places like Denny's, that he was talking about?  Nope.  Those servers will likely lose jobs because the mom and pop shops and low end diners will close or just not employ people.  It'll be family operated.  Places like Denny's, IHOP, and Friendly's will be filing for bankruptcy and closing up shop.

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Absolutely, in some places yes... and the reason for that is because people tip them well.  People tip them because they know two things... 1) the servers are paid a low wage because  2) their main job is to serve you.  People tip based on the service they get from the servers.  If the servers are making a regular wage, people won't be tipping as much... if at all.  The servers will be paying a lot more in taxes and making less money in the end.  The net result is lower income for those servers, a lesser quality of service for the patron, and higher restaurant costs.  The only winner is the government.  Everyone else loses.

Now, places like Denny's, that he was talking about?  Nope.  Those servers will likely lose jobs because the mom and pop shops and low end diners will close or just not employ people.  It'll be family operated.  Places like Denny's, IHOP, and Friendly's will be filing for bankruptcy and closing up shop.

Okay, I don’t have an opinion on bumping waiters up to min. wage, I just thought you were saying waiters shouldn’t be able to make a living on principle or something. My bad if I read that wrong.

Just now, MDC said:

Okay, I don’t have an opinion on bumping waiters up to min. wage, I just thought you were saying waiters shouldn’t be able to make a living on principle or something. My bad if I read that wrong.

No, I was simply saying this will hurt everyone, the well off and the low income.  The people working at high end places will make less money and be taxed more and people working in low end places may be out of a job.  People who go to Denny's, IHOP, etc, are looking for a $7 quick/easy meal, nothing special... just get in and get out.  If that becomes $11 and now they still have to tip?  Business is going to plummet.  Besides, the majority of the guests at places like that, are people with lower incomes.  Sure, I go to places like that... once or twice, every few years, but I'm certainly not the demographic that keeps those places alive.  How about places like Cracker Barrell or Bob Evans, in the South and Midwest?  They're going to suffer too.  Like I said, no one wins with this, except the government... and it's all with the façade that it'll help people.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, I was simply saying this will hurt everyone, the well off and the low income.  The people working at high end places will make less money and be taxed more and people working in low end places may be out of a job.  People who go to Denny's, IHOP, etc, are looking for a $7 quick/easy meal, nothing special... just get in and get out.  If that becomes $11 and now they still have to tip?  Business is going to plummet.  Besides, the majority of the guests at places like that, are people with lower incomes.  Sure, I go to places like that... once or twice, every few years, but I'm certainly not the demographic that keeps those places alive.  How about places like Cracker Barrell or Bob Evans, in the South and Midwest?  They're going to suffer too.  Like I said, no one wins with this, except the government... and it's all with the façade that it'll help people.

This makes no sense. You say prices will go up, which may happen. But you’re ignoring the fact that wages for many people could double, giving them more buying power.

Republicans should actually be in favor of this long-delayed increase in the minimum wage. Right now, our tax dollars go towards benefits like SNAP going to many people earning minimum wage. When it’s raised, there will be fewer requests for the government assistance. But I guess you want socialism instead? OK fine let’s lower the minimum wage and have MORE government handouts.

23 minutes ago, dogcows said:

This makes no sense. You say prices will go up, which may happen. But you’re ignoring the fact that wages for many people could double, giving them more buying power.

Republicans should actually be in favor of this long-delayed increase in the minimum wage. Right now, our tax dollars go towards benefits like SNAP going to many people earning minimum wage. When it’s raised, there will be fewer requests for the government assistance. But I guess you want socialism instead? OK fine let’s lower the minimum wage and have MORE government handouts.

So, prices going up and even though waiters get a higher minimum wage, they may make less money in the long run so higher prices hurts them more. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point is all. 

I'm curious to see if waiters start making $15 and hour, do people really stop tipping over time. Not sure if it would take a while for people to lower their tipping as they (we) are so conditioned to do it. :dunno: