Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

How do you let your child freeze to death?

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/gma/family-11-old-boy-died-210400208.html

Texas power providers Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and Entergy Corporation have been hit with a $100 million lawsuit accusing them of gross negligence in the death of a child whose family suspects he suffered hypothermia when they lost electricity and heat in their mobile home during a historic cold snap.

The mother of 11-year-old Cristian Pineda filed the wrongful death lawsuit in Jefferson County District Court, alleging the utility giants "put profits over the welfare of people" by ignoring previous recommendations to winterize its power grid, which sustained an epic failure last week and left more than 4 million customers without heat and electricity as temperatures in some parts of the state plunged to single digits.

"Despite having knowledge of the dire weather forecast for at least a week in advance, and the knowledge that the system was not prepared for more than a decade, ERCOT and Entergy failed to take any preemptory action that could have averted the crisis and were wholly unprepared to deal with the crisis at hand," the lawsuit states.

Its freezing in the house with no heat, so you toss a bunch of blankets on your kids and wish them good luck through the night?? These parents should be put in jail for negligence and for trying to capitalize on their child's death. I bet they are secretly excited to get all of that money.

When the power goes out, serve them nothing but frozen beernuts.

11 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Its freezing in the house with no heat, so you toss a bunch of blankets on your kids and wish them good luck through the night?? These parents should be put in jail for negligence and for trying to capitalize on their child's death. I bet they are secretly excited to get all of that money.

Nah, this is merica. You ALWAYS blame others. There is no such thing as personal responsibility 

This is the lawyers.  The parents were just as negligent.  Lawyers are scum for capitalizing on this neglected child's death so they can get paid.

So the 3 year old lived but the 11 year old froze to death?  Right........:dunno:

You guys are really cold hearted. The 3 year old was probably wrapped warmly and maybe sleeping with the parents but the 11 year old may have been more independent and in a room alone. Most likely died in his sleep. He may not have wanted to complain. My daughter was in NJ with my Mom when the Sandy storm hit. My mom's home lost all of it's power. My daughter wore all her clothes and was under multiple blankets and she said she was never so cold in her life. She said it was weird that she was unable to get warm and she even had on a flannel Onsie.

It can happen to anyone:

A 60-year-old man in Abilene, Texas was found dead this week inside his home, sitting in his recliner, according to local reports.

His wife was found beside him, nearly frozen, and she was taken to the hospital for treatment. She told officials they had not had power for three days, according to KTXS.

The Abilene Fire Department noted the temperature inside the home was as cold as the temperature outside.

As you can read, this couple was right next to each other and yet one died. What can you do if there is no heat?

Just now, peenie said:

You guys are really cold hearted. The 3 year old was probably wrapped warmly and maybe sleeping with the parents but the 11 year old may have been more independent and in a room alone. Most likely died in his sleep. He may not have wanted to complain. My daughter was in NJ with my Mom when the Sandy storm hit. My mom's home lost all of it's power. My daughter wore all her clothes and was under multiple blankets and she said she was never so cold in her life. She said it was weird that she was unable to get warm and she even had on a flannel Onsie.

It can happen to anyone:

As you can read, this couple was right next to each other and yet one died. What can you do if there is no heat?

Did you even read the article?

Cristian died on Tuesday in his family's mobile home in the Houston suburb of Conroe while sharing a bed with his 3-year-old brother under a pile of blankets in an attempt to stay warm, according to the lawsuit.

3 minutes ago, peenie said:

It can happen to anyone:

Go to a hotel that does? :dunno:

Let me see, what's more important.... spending $500 for a few days in a hotel, or not dying?  Gotta tell ya, it's a toss up.

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Did you even read the article?

No, I didn't read the article but it proves my point even more. It's just fate, it's not the fault of the parents or the child. It is however the fault of the electric company!

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Go to a hotel that does? :dunno:

Let me see, what's more important.... spending $500 for a few days in a hotel, or not dying?  Gotta tell ya, it's a toss up.

Hey moneybags! They lived in a mobile home. Do you actually think they had money for a hotel or could travel on the roads?

Just now, peenie said:

No, I didn't read the article but it proves my point even more. It's just fate, it's not the fault of the parents or the child. It is however the fault of the electric company!

Parents will always have a responsibility to protect their children.

8 minutes ago, peenie said:

It can happen to anyone:

Put on more clothes.

Wrap up in a blanket.

Go to a hotel

Go to a friends house with heat

Go to the local Church.

10 minutes ago, peenie said:

You guys are really cold hearted.

Not as much as the dead child

• Haha 1

Just now, peenie said:

And you wonder why I give you sh*t all the time.  It's because your posts are stupid, but you're not.  I have higher expectations of intelligent people.

Something else happened here. No way that kid froze to death.

Hey moneybags! They lived in a mobile home. Do you actually think they had money for a hotel or could travel on the roads?

My assumption was that your statement was refereeing to the 60 year old couple living in the house.  After all, you did say "As you can read, this couple was right next to each other and yet one died.  What can you do if there is no heat?"

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

My assumption was that your statement was refereeing to the 60 year old couple living in the house.

Either way, people couldn't travel. Y'all need to be more empathetic. I understand, this is just a coping mechanism for you guys. You just don't want to believe you don't have control and that your future always lays in your hands and with effort life will be okay. No guys, sometimes unexpected stuff happens and nothing can save you even when you do all the right things.

5 minutes ago, peenie said:

Either way, people couldn't travel. Y'all need to be more empathetic. I understand, this is just a coping mechanism for you guys. You just don't want to believe you don't have control and that your future always lays in your hands and with effort life will be okay. No guys, sometimes unexpected stuff happens and nothing can save you even when you do all the right things.

They're two people sitting in a house, on their recliner.  They have NO blankets in the house?  NONE?  Come on.  They probably felt they didn't need them.  It was stupid.  I have cousins that live in Florida.  They have tons of blankets and quilts.  I highly doubt these two didn't have the necessary items to stay safe.  You know how I know that?  Because only a few people like them died.  How'd the rest manage to stay alive?  My guess is that they used their blankets. :dunno:

Also, I live in South Jersey.  When Sandy hit, I had some friends and relatives come over to my place.  I had a generator.  At the time, I had a small 3-bedroom rancher for my son and I.  For 4 days, there were 7 of us living together.  It wasn't that hard.

Friend: Yo, I have no heat, can I come over.

Me: Yup, stay as long as you need.

Pretty simple really.

There is something odd about this story.  I can't imagine that child died peacefully in his sleep from hypothermia.  The rest of the family would have known he was freezing to death.  The fact that he was in bed, under a pile of blankets with his little brother but froze to death is strange.

Something strange happened.  If he, in fact, did die of hypothermia then these parents are absolutely responsible.  The energy company deserves plenty of backlash for how they have handled this but the parents are responsible for protecting their children.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They're two people sitting in a house, on their recliner.  They have NO blankets in the house?  NONE?  Come on.  They probably felt they didn't need them.  It was stupid.  I have cousins that live in Florida.  They have tons of blankets and quilts.  I highly doubt these two didn't have the necessary items to stay safe.  You know how I know that?  Because only a few people like them died.  How'd the rest manage to stay alive?  My guess is that they used their blankets. :dunno:

Who said they were on the recliner without blankets? I'm pretty sure they were wrapped up. I believe the temp was -2 degrees both inside and outside of the home. Yo!! I'm not arguing with you all about this. You all need to have some sympathy for folks is all I'm saying.

24 minutes ago, peenie said:

It can happen to anyone:

When we lost power during Sandy we all slept together to keep warm.  None of my kids would have died because I made sure they were warm enough and alive. 

Just now, peenie said:

Who said they were on the recliner without blankets? I'm pretty sure they were wrapped up. I believe the temp was -2 degrees both inside and outside of the home. Yo!! I'm not arguing with you all about this. You all need to have some sympathy for folks is all I'm saying.

It's hard to have sympathy for people because of their own neglect.  I feel bad that they lost a child but it's still their fault.

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

When we lost power during Sandy we all slept together to keep warm.  None of my kids would have died because I made sure they were warm enough and alive. 

You know what's funny? Just recently, I asked my Mom why she didn't turn on the oven? The gas still worked. She said she just didn't think of it. Or maybe the gas didn't work. Can't people turn on their ovens? Maybe you need to electricity to start the fire or something?

Just now, peenie said:

If you have 2 people in a recliner, their bodies will generate enough heat that if you're covered with enough blankets, you'll be fine.  Uncomfortable, but fine.  Besides, why lay down in a recliner?  Makes no sense.  They didn't have a couch?  Anyway, the wife lived, so apparently there was enough heat to accommodate survival.  If they had any doubts, they could've added more blankets.

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

You know what's funny? Just recently, I asked my Mom why she didn't turn on the oven? The gas still worked. She said she just didn't think of it.

...and THAT's why things like this happen.  Sometimes people panic and overlook things. Something like this is clearly something they overlooked.... it's not stupidity or something shady, it's an oversight due to panic.  Two people on a recliner, one dying, is stupidity.  An 11 year old freezing to death while the 3-year old lives, is shady.

• Haha 1

The most important question I have is.

For 100 million, how do you NOT let your child freeze to death? Has to be pretty a pretty painless way to die and who couldn't use 100 million?

You know what's funny? Just recently, I asked my Mom why she didn't turn on the oven? The gas still worked. She said she just didn't think of it. Or maybe the gas didn't work. Can't people turn on their ovens? Maybe you need to electricity to start the fire or something?

I know that most people lack survival skills but they should have just a little common sense.  Bundling up with layers of clothes and blankets along with staying close together will keep people warm.  If you can't stay warm enough inside your home then you need to find a place where you can.  I'd even go as far as making a shelter and a fire if I had to in order to keep my family warm.

I wonder if more people will start using wood burning stoves and fireplaces in their homes after this.  They can be a life saver.

7 minutes ago, peenie said:

It's terribly inefficient and can result in carbon monoxide poisoning.

15 minutes ago, peenie said:

I have lots of sympathy for people.  Doesn't mean I can't say it's wrong to use tragedy to enrich themselves.  And, at the very least, YOU should wait for the results of the autopsy before jumping to conclusions.  Either way, I have a lot of sympathy for them losing their child.  I just happen to be able to separate that part of the story from the part of the story where they are suing for $100 million dollars before the kid is even cold.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

I have lots of sympathy for people.  Doesn't mean I can't say it's wrong to use tragedy to enrich themselves.  And, at the very least, YOU should wait for the results of the autopsy before jumping to conclusions.  Either way, I have a lot of sympathy for them losing their child.  I just happen to be able to separate that part of the story from the part of the story where they are suing for $100 million dollars before the kid is even cold.

That's the part that pisses me off.  They are wasting no time trying to make money off this.  Take care of your family.  After you've taken care of your family then maybe you can see if it makes any sense suing someone.

Simple your dumb azz let your kid play in the cold "snow".  You let him get cold and wet when you knew you had no power.  The parents should be arrested for murder.

I was literally -40 here in northern minny last week and no one froze to death.  Pvssys live in Texor.  :bandana:

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

Put on more clothes.

Wrap up in a blanket.

Go to a hotel

Go to a friends house with heat

Go to the local Church.

Spend as one needs on gas to keep their kids warm in the car.

1 minute ago, NorthernVike said:

I was literally -40 here in northern minny last week and no one froze to death.  Pvssys live in Texor.  :bandana:

Seriously.  These people can't even make coffee in the snow.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Fate 😄

This was posted in the Texas thread.   Said the parents didn't check on the kid until 2:30 PM.   That part does seem a little fishy...