Sign in to follow this  
Mike Isles

Favorite Classic Novel

28 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Easy answer

Count of Monte Crisco 

I never read that but I remember my son reading it in HS and really enjoying it. 

For me I’d have to say Les Miserable, with A Tale of Two Cities a close second.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Brave new world if that counts

On the same page. If these count they are 2 and 3. 

Catcher in the Rye

Brave New World

11 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I never read that but I remember my son reading it in HS and really enjoying it. 

It was Epic. Glad your son enjoyed it. He’s a smart kid :)

3 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Does Hunt for Red October count?

No. (Good book but not classic in the way I meant classic). 

18 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Brave new world if that counts

Yeah, I was wondering how far back a book has to be to be a “classic.”  Brave New World is good.  The Fountainhead, 1984, Animal Farm, also from the past century.:cheers: 

Theres a copy of Moby D!ck on my bookshelf that my wife had.  I've never read it.  But I want to.  

Lord of the Flies. 

Just something about being trapped on an island with a bunch of boys. 

21 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Dracula

Frankenstein

These two also really good, I loved Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. 

21 hours ago, Mike Isles said:

Easy answer

Count of Monte Crisco 

Never read it but loved both movies and more so the remake. As for one's I read I will have to say Catcher in The Rye and Mice and Men. Had I read Count I would probably have that 1 ahead of them two but the movie ruined the ending for me.

3 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Never read it but loved both movies and more so the remake. As for one's I read I will have to say Catcher in The Rye and Mice and Men. Had I read Count I would probably have that 1 ahead of them two but the movie ruined the ending for me.

I get it. There are so many movies that I didn’t want to watch until I read the book. Thankfully I read this many years ago. 

And not to be a book geek - There are so so many book plot lines that are not addressed in any of the movies. (I mean like a lot. Just saying). 

17 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

I get it. There are so many movies that I didn’t want to watch until I read the book. Thankfully I read this many years ago. 

And not to be a book geek - There are so so many book plot lines that are not addressed in any of the movies. (I mean like a lot. Just saying). 

Yep they always say the book was better then the movie.

6 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Yep they always say the book was better then the movie.

I didn’t want to cliche that here but this one is times 100!!!!

it’s not just better it’s just has so much more to the story. 

1 minute ago, Mike Isles said:

I didn’t want to cliche that here but this one is times 100!!!!

it’s not just better it’s just has so much more to the story. 

Cool will have to read it!

Much ado about nothing

my favorite hs English course was “major American authors.” Really enjoyed all of them 

while not the best writer I liked Hemingway’s tales about war

On 2/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, Djgb13 said:

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I enjoyed Tom Sawyer when I read it in high school.

Sad to think that many kids nowadays won't be exposed to great classics such as these due to the purging of anything remotely racist from school curriculums. 

I really enjoyed For Whom The Bell Tolls when I had to read it junior year of HS. 

A bunch of classmates simply went the Cliff Notes route as it's a sizable book.  Our teacher knew this, so he had some questions on the exam which you'd only know if you actually read it.  To this day I still remember "how many times did the world move for Maria?".  The answer is that b1tch came 3 times.   Our teacher would certainly be fired if that happened in today's climate. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DonS said:

Sad to think that many kids nowadays won't be exposed to great classics such as these due to the purging of anything remotely racist from school curriculums. 

I really enjoyed For Whom The Bell Tolls when I had to read it junior year of HS. 

A bunch of classmates simply went the Cliff Notes route as it's a sizable book.  Our teacher knew this, so he had some questions on the exam which you'd only know if you actually read it.  To this day I still remember "how many times did the world move for Maria?".  The answer is that b1tch came 3 times.   Our teacher would certainly be fired if that happened in today's climate. 

My wife teaches English and Literature.  They had a parent complain about a book the kids were reading that had sex in it.  They want it taken out of the class curriculum.  I read it and it's a bit descriptive for kids in 7th grade but it was only one page in the entire book.