Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Son just got a raise

My 18 year old works at Walmart picking groceries for customers who pick up their groceries.

He has been working 6 months and got a raise to $16.25 and hour plus a employee card for 10% off everything including grocery items.

How are people going hungry?

I live in the middle of bum fuk Egypt btw.

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Try paying rent on that income

Minimum wage jobs were never expected to leave one totally self sufficient.  

32 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

My 18 year old works at Walmart picking groceries for customers who pick up their groceries.

He has been working 6 months and got a raise to $16.25 and hour plus a employee card for 10% off everything including grocery items.

My daughter works for them also.  There is a special 1 time 25%off your whole order that employees get.  You get it if you dont call off.  We bought 2 tvs...and over 1k in groceries that day.  We bought alot of nonperishables and frozen things.  That we use.  I bought 2 cases of oil for oil changes...saved a ton.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Congrats on raising another minimum wage worker.

He's 18 and still in high school.  What job was he supposed to get?

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You know Alias Detective's son?

7 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

You know Alias Detective's son?

In his post, he said his son was 18.  We're in February.  Kids who are 18 years old, in February are generally, in high school.  If his son wasn't in high school, at 18 (in February), then he'd be in college.  Hence, still in school.  Not many 18 year old's, who are in school, have full-time professional jobs.  If there are, I'm thinking you can count the number of instances on 1 hand.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In his post, he said his son was 18.  We're in February.  Kids who are 18 years old, in February are generally, in high school.  If his son wasn't in high school, at 18 (in February), then he'd be in college.  Hence, still in school.  Not many 18 year old's, who are in school, have full-time professional jobs.

If he's 18 and not in high school, he also could not be in college, and just working.

I think you focked up your logins :lol:

Just now, GutterBoy said:

If he's 18 and not in high school, he also could not be in college, and just working.

I think you focked up your logins :lol:

In such a short post, there's a lot of nonsense in it.  I'll just leave you to your thoughts on this one.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Congrats on raising another minimum wage worker.

As opposed to just being minimum height?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In his post, he said his son was 18.  We're in February.  Kids who are 18 years old, in February are generally, in high school.  If his son wasn't in high school, at 18 (in February), then he'd be in college.  Hence, still in school.  Not many 18 year old's, who are in school, have full-time professional jobs.  If there are, I'm thinking you can count the number of instances on 1 hand.

My son went that route. Did not go to college. Went into the working world and learning a trade. Joined the union. He is 19 now, has a pension and 401k. They provide all of his training for 4 years with minimal cost to him (books and fees for licenses). He makes $30/hr with lots of OT and double-time. As long as he doesn't fock it up, he is set for life. 

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

My son went that route. Did not go to college. Went into the working world and learning a trade. Joined the union. He is 19 now, has a pension and 401k. They provide all of his training for 4 years with minimal cost to him (books and fees for licenses). He makes $30/hr with lots of OT and double-time. As long as he doesn't fock it up, he is set for life. 

Sure, but my point was, this is February and not June.  Had this been June when schools are done, I'd entertain that likelihood and would have added that.  My best friend did the same thing your son did.  Again, that was in the summer, not winter.

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I would't be opposed to one of my kids going this route, plus I get to keep $100K to spend on me and my wife.

14 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I would't be opposed to one of my kids going this route, plus I get to keep $100K to spend on me and my wife.

He still has $120k in his 529 after I pulled out $20k for him to buy a truck. I may have to use some of it for his younger brother's college, but I think that my wife and I saved too much money for college in their 529's. That was after we stopped contributing to them 4-5 years ago. It is good to start early, but you have to make sure that you don't put too much in them. Of course, you can transfer and leverage it for all sorts of things, but it is not as good as straight cash. 

18 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sure, but my point was, this is February and not June.  Had this been June when schools are done, I'd entertain that likelihood and would have added that.  My best friend did the same thing your son did.  Again, that was in the summer, not winter.

My son has been out for more than a year. He graduated in 2019 and had just turned 18 when he graduated. My youngest is graduating this year and will only be 17 when he graduates.

45 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Cleaning the filter on the Aswan Dam?  :dunno:

Sounds like a pretty good deal.  I remember working my butt off doing landscaping and only making $11 an hour.  We start most of our young employees off at $15 so I think he's doing well.

5 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

AD congrats on your son's raise.  He's obviously a good kid and I am sure you are proud of him.  :thumbsup:

Thank you.  He is a senior and recently accepted to college on an academic scholarship.  Very proud.

7 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

My daughter works for them also.  There is a special 1 time 25%off your whole order that employees get.  You get it if you dont call off.  We bought 2 tvs...and over 1k in groceries that day.  We bought alot of nonperishables and frozen things.  That we use.  I bought 2 cases of oil for oil changes...saved a ton.

Dam nice. Didn’t even know that was a thing. Also didn’t realize how much Walmart workers were making. I was thinking they were making like $9/hr with how much they complain 

5 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Sounds like a pretty good deal.  I remember working my butt off doing landscaping and only making $11 an hour.  We start most of our young employees off at $15 so I think he's doing well.

Almost to good.

14 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Dam nice. Didn’t even know that was a thing. Also didn’t realize how much Walmart workers were making. I was thinking they were making like $9/hr with how much they complain 

Yeah...they get that discount once a year...it is attendance related.  Cant call of on certain days...welfare weekends , black friday...etc.

29 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Yeah...they get that discount once a year...it is attendance related.  Cant call of on certain days...welfare weekends , black friday...etc.

I just asked my son.  He worked Christmas Eve and got a 10% off in addition to his original 10%.  He never told us so we didn’t take advantage.  He purchased a new controller for his xbox though.  Oh well.  Still a nice perk.

13 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I just asked my son.  He worked Christmas Eve and got a 10% off in addition to his original 10%.  He never told us so we didn’t take advantage.  He purchased a new controller for his xbox though.  Oh well.  Still a nice perk.

Sounds like a real  d bag though by not letting you know about the extra 10%. What am I missing ?

38 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Sounds like a real  d bag though by not letting you know about the extra 10%. What am I missing ?

With all due, it’s his discount, not mine. 

40 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Some class

1 minute ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Weird way of thinking but ok

Probably but if something of decent value comes up we’ll be sure to have him buy it.  For everyday stuff, we’re ok.  I own Walmart stock too. 🤗

13 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Sounds like modern day slavery. Why should he have to pick things for people who don't want to pick their own things?  :mad:

Also, congrats on raising a kid who is learning the rewards of showing up to work on time everyday. The fact that he earned a raise speaks to his willingness and ability to do it better than the next guy.

Unfortunately, you're now going to have to have "the talk" with him. You're going to have make him aware that no matter how hard he works and no matter how hard he strives for success, that his whiteness will always prevent him from getting ahead in life. The man will always keep him from succeeding because he's white. 

Fortunately, you won't have to tell him how to act in public and more importantly, in the presence of police, because that knowledge comes naturally with his White Privelege.

Wait, your kid is white, right?  :unsure:

13 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What trade ? I had my younger son(18)  all set up for a summer internship last April for $25.00 an hour HVAC engineer helper at a major NYC property. That was his future as I have plenty of friends in the field. COVID-19 hit and internship was cancelled (there were major layoffs buy engineering staff). 

Now he is going to college as electrical engineer. Still hope to get him with me or one of my friends companies. 

23 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

What trade ? I had my younger son(18)  all set up for a summer internship last April for $25.00 an hour HVAC engineer helper at a major NYC property. That was his future as I have plenty of friends in the field. COVID-19 hit and internship was cancelled (there were major layoffs buy engineering staff). 

Now he is going to college as electrical engineer. Still hope to get him with me or one of my friends companies. 

He is doing heavy equipment operator union. Spent 8 months on a crane 175+” up in the air for his first apprenticeship. Great gig. That finished on Friday and today he started with a different type of crane to do pilings for some buildings.

He got lucky as he was one of 19 to get in this year out of over 500 applicants. He is by far the youngest, so he gets a lot of grief. That is good for him too. 

4 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

I got a raise

in my pants

when your wife sat on my face

How many digits to the right of the decimal would your teeny beanie weenie need to engorge to before it moved past zeros and arrived at a number to register some kind of height? 

Sad whittle Repunitard and journeyman cubicle mini-monkey.

😪

10 hours ago, Rusty Syringes said:

How many digits to the right of the decimal would your teeny beanie weenie need to engorge to before it moved past zeros and arrived at a number to register some kind of height? 

Sad whittle Repunitard and journeyman cubicle mini-monkey.

😪

Stop trying to be funny. You’re no good at it. HTH.