cyclone24

Here we go with this dog again...

So I’ve talked about this a little before. English bulldog six years old. We’ve already replaced one of his ACL ‘s. He’s had multiple ingestion surgeries to the point where I’m guessing we’re well over $10,000 in surgeries. So he comes in the other day and keep in mind all he really does since it’s cold is goes outside takes a dump and comes back in. Well naturally he’s limping. My guess is he is torn his other ACL.

I am not like some passionate animal lover. The family is but I’m not. Seriously at what point do you pull the plug As far as money spent doing surgeries?

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

So I’ve talked about this a little before. English bulldog six years old. We’ve already replaced one of his ACL ‘s. He’s had multiple ingestion surgeries to the point where I’m guessing we’re well over $10,000 in surgeries. So he comes in the other day and keep in mind all he really does since it’s cold is goes outside takes a dump and comes back in. Well naturally he’s limping. My guess is he is torn his other ACL.

I am not like some passionate animal lover. The family is but I’m not. Seriously at what point do you pull the plug As far as money spent doing surgeries?

10k dollars ago. 

• Haha 1

Sorry but I’m not spending thousands of dollars on surgeries for a dog unless that dog is bringing me in money. 

If you get a breed of dog known for health issues you should not be surprised when said dog has lots of health issues.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Sorry but I’m not spending thousands of dollars on surgeries for a dog unless that dog is bringing me in money. 

Well the easy argument because a lot of people find pets to be like family is how many surgeries would you do on your children. I’m not that guy and I know that doesn’t make sense I’m just saying that’s probably the other side of that argument.

I mean I’m willing to go to an extent because none of these are the dogs fault but good Lord there has to be a limit. It’s just the idea of killing the dog when it’s otherwise healthy. I don’t know.

• Like 1

English bulldogs are known for health problems and only live to like 8. Sorry about your pup but I wouldn’t keep going.

Well the easy argument because a lot of people find pets to be like family is how many surgeries would you do on your children. I’m not that guy and I know that doesn’t make sense I’m just saying that’s probably the other side of that argument.

I mean I’m willing to go to an extent because none of these are the dogs fault but good Lord there has to be a limit. It’s just the idea of killing the dog when it’s otherwise healthy. I don’t know.

My dogs are like family. But I’m not dropping thousands of dollars on surgeries. 

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

If you get a breed of dog known for health issues you should not be surprised when said dog has lots of health issues.

What a dumb ass response. Bulldogs have sinus issues and skin issues. ACL tears are very rare. And ingestion issues like eating toys or some thing is also not terribly common for them. Complete dip response.

Just now, Djgb13 said:

My dogs are like family. But I’m not dropping thousands of dollars on surgeries. 

Well that’s what I mean. So if you have a dog that got hurt and required surgery you would just kill it?

4 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

What a dumb ass response. Bulldogs have sinus issues and skin issues. ACL tears are very rare. And ingestion issues like eating toys or some thing is also not terribly common for them. Complete dip response.

Bull dogs were inbred to get their face to look that way. They are literally, and I am using that word correctly, one of the unhealthiest breeds of dog on the planet. Just do a simple internet search and try to prove me wrong.

It is expected that they have issues and often times die young for a dog.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Raising-Awareness-about-English-Bulldog-Health-Problems

The English Bull Dog's health problems are so widespread and significant that a veterinarian featured on the National Geographic documentary "And Man Created Dog" declared that these dogs should not be allowed to procreate.

Well that’s what I mean. So if you have a dog that got hurt and required surgery you would just kill it?

My Boston Terrier got an eye punctured when he was 7 years old and it was either surgery or put him down. The surgery and everything was over $3,000. We did it because he’d otherwise had no health issues and BTs typically live til they’re 12. He bounced back and lived another 5+ years without any problems - $ well spent.

Your doh has chronic health issues and he’s lived 75% of his anticipated lifespan. I wouldn’t do it.

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Bull dogs were inbred to get their face to look that way. They are literally, and I am using that word correctly, one of the unhealthiest breeds of dog on the planet. Just do a simple internet search and try to prove me wrong.

It is expected that they have issues and often times die young for a dog.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Raising-Awareness-about-English-Bulldog-Health-Problems

The English Bull Dog's health problems are so widespread and significant that a veterinarian featured on the National Geographic documentary "And Man Created Dog" declared that these dogs should not be allowed to procreate.

Yep we know all about the issues they have. Go through that article and our dog literally has zero of those issues. 

No sinus or skin issues he is actually under weight if anything. 

He tore an ACL playing with another dog when he was a puppy. We’re not sure if he fell down the stairs going outside on the ice this time or what but he’s not had some historically classic bulldog issues. 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

My Boston Terrier got an eye punctured when he was 7 years old and it was either surgery or put him down. The surgery and everything was over $3,000. We did it because he’d otherwise had no health issues and BTs typically live til they’re 12. He bounced back and lived another 5+ years without any problems - $ well spent.

Your doh has chronic health issues and he’s lived 75% of his anticipated lifespan. I wouldn’t do it.

But that’s what I mean he hasn’t had chronic health issues that you would see in a bulldog. He doesn’t have respiratory or heart issues or that sort of thing. He’s torn up his knee. He ate some toys as a puppy that he doesn’t do now.

10 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

As I said, it depends on how much it’ll cost and what kind of injury it is. 

4 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Yep we know all about the issues they have. Go through that article and our dog literally has zero of those issues. 

He tore an ACL playing with another dog when he was a puppy. We’re not sure if he fell down the stairs going outside on the ice this time or what but he’s not had some historically classic bulldog issues. 

Knee issues are a known problem, at least from the site I just linked.  The average life expectancy according to one major study is 6 years.  How much do you want to invest in a dog that may be near the end of its life.

https://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-surgery-a-z/kneecap-dislocation-surgery-dogs

In contrast, one particular study from 2010 gives a slightly different average for the English Bulldog lifespan. This study found that the average English Bulldog lifespan is only 6.29 years and suggests a bit of variance in the average.

16 minutes ago, MDC said:

English bulldogs are known for health problems and only live to like 8. Sorry about your pup but I wouldn’t keep going.

Probably the correct answer. Unless financially it isn’t a burden.

Isn’t your wife a Dr. or something? In which case you are a monster for even thinking about it.

Is surgery even necessary? Maybe the little fella can heal up without it. :dunno:

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

People don't actually "need" their ACL to have a productive and active life.  I'd check into this for dogs.  If he doesn't "need" his ACL, the vet most likely has a way for you to treat the dog without surgery.  Based on what you said about the dog, I'm guessing he's not a show dog or anything like that... he's just a family pet.  If that's the case, just make him comfortable and let him heal.  He'll learn what his limitations are, just like a person would.  His quality of life won't be hindered.  He'll likely be fine.

2 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

I knew this girl who had a cat that was about 13 years old. She did everything she could to keep it alive short of putting it on life support. I know she was at least 20k in on that effort and she had no second thoughts about it. It was not an option that the cat would die on her. I don't know how her husband put up with that type of spending, not to mention the cruelty to the stupid cat.

8 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I knew this girl who had a cat that was about 13 years old. She did everything she could to keep it alive short of putting it on life support. I know she was at least 20k in on that effort and she had no second thoughts about it. It was not an option that the cat would die on her. I don't know how her husband put up with that type of spending, not to mention the cruelty to the stupid cat.

He’s a cuck desperate for puzzy/companionship. Why else would a guy surround himself with cats? 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He’s a cuck desperate for puzzy/companionship. Why else would a guy surround himself with cats? 

Most reasonable reason...

4 hours ago, MDC said:

Same with my 10 year old chihuahua. Had the eye removed last summer. 2300 bucks. She's fine and should be good for another 4 years. 2k in on trying to find out what's wrong with my pitbull, NOTHING found. Won't gain weight, a little gimpy. She's still plays ball, no pain and is happy but she's a shell of what she was 6 months ago. She will be put down when she goes downhill. Sad, she's only 3 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

I'll just say this....

We're not the type of people that put money into dogs but we reluctantly did. Our dog practically sliced off his front pad and area of the foot and almost bled out before we could get him help. We couldn't just let him die, we took him to a vet and he had surgery that in all cost around $900.00. Ugh!!!.....we can't really afford this crap but couldn't just let him die.

But I agree, there's got to be a limit

7 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

You shouldn’t have switched your backyard to artificial turf. 

7 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Bottom line is that your 10k equals to your standard FBGs poster $10.00. 
If you can afford it, do what you think is best for your wife and kids.  (that's a joke)
You may not be an animal lover, but the quality of life for the animal should be the top priority, IMO. 
And YES...There is and should be a limit for $$$ spent.  
Sounds to me like you might have exceeded it already.  Also, props to you for spending the $$$ that you have already.  I prolly wouldn't have done it, but then again that's why both my kats are ded :(

6 hours ago, kutulu said:

DND, injury prone

I miss the pics you used to send me of your Pennydoodle :(
Did you ever get another one?