Sign in to follow this  
Torn

A perk for the "new guy"

MCK left behind a pretty weak team with minimal keeper quality players. While there isn't much I can do about that from a practical perspective, I did want to provide Isotope with some sort of help to make him a bit more competitive out of the gate. 

I was thinking of giving him 1st draft slot selection pick - i.e. regardless of how the dice rolls go, Isotope gets to choose his draft slot first. 

Any objections?

If everyone else agrees, I'm cool with it. But I was thinking of an alternate plan--perhaps he could claim keepers among those that we choose NOT to keep, ...or deal away. I had a pretty bad 2020, ...obviously, ...11th place. 🤮And I'm seeing only seven decent keepers, ...with not a single one of them qualifying as a mega-scoop-keeper-of-my-dreams. So, ....it's easy for me to say "Hey, ...everybody, ...rather than dealing off a keeper or two, ...just gift them to Isotope!" 😛 All it takes for my team is ONE INJURY, ...and I will BARELY have a sufficient mish-mash of SIX players who can help my cause, ...with no GIFTS to offer. Just thinking out loud here.

I like Ghost's idea...  Whomever is not kept by the other 11 teams, Isotope can decide whom he wants to keep from his team and then pick up players that were let go to get up to the six maximum...  Of course he doesn't have to go up to six...

The question then becomes, does the keeper value go with said player?  Like if you have a player that was already kept three years and MUST go back into the pool, is he allowed to pick them up?  If so what it is "keeper count"?  I think that they should be have a keeper status of three so they go back into the pool for 2022...  Doing this method will make the team more competitive out of the gate but give him plenty of picks to build for the future...  The round of said keeper status would remain unchanged...

Not a fan of giving him the first choice pick at this moment...  I guess I could be convinced, but right now I would rather see that be random for all...

Yes, ...I think that we could be accommodating with the keeper count status of each 'waived' player. Just for example: Barring injury, I am pretty certain of 4-5 of my potential keepers, ...but I'm seeing Kepler and Yates as ones who have already been kept a year or two, ...and I'm not certain their value measures up to other options I have at my disposal. *Somebody* is gonna have to be cut loose, ...especially if I have Justus Sheffield available as a 26th round pick. I would be fine with seeing Isotope get one of those players, ...with added 'eligibility time'.

11 minutes ago, posty said:

I guess I could be convinced, but right now I would rather see that be random for all...

Keep in mind that the dice roll is simply determining your priority to pick your draft slot. It's not determining the actual draft position. If my 88 roll holds up as high number, it simply means I can decide to take the first pick, 12th pick or whatever slot I want. It does not necessarily mean I will have the 1st pick.

I was thinking that we would give the new guy something like a supplemental 5th round pick and maybe all operate in good faith to try to give him some better keepers.  That roster is...ugly. Also no issue with the giving him 1st pick in the draft slot selection but I don't think that is a huge benefit tbh.  

29 minutes ago, TalentScout said:

I was thinking that we would give the new guy something like a supplemental 5th round pick and maybe all operate in good faith to try to give him some better keepers.  That roster is...ugly. Also no issue with the giving him 1st pick in the draft slot selection but I don't think that is a huge benefit tbh.  

Tough to account for that via the Yahoo site. I'd lean towards the Ghost proposal. A few of us may struggle with which 6 guys to retain, leaving 2-3 viable keepers in total heading back to the player pool. We could offer those guys to him after we lock down keepers for the other 11 teams, but before we start the draft. That'd at least give him a couple of more bargains heading into the draft. Also remember, many of us don't/won't keep 6 anyway. It's a max of 6, not a "must have 6".

Understandable.  

Are we keeping off of 2020 end of season rosters but not counting 2020 as a keeper season and not adding 3 rounds to their draft position?  For example I am keeping Dinelson Lamet.  I drafted him in 2019 at 25.09.  I still have him on my end of season 2020 roster.  I can keep him for 3 years going forward and pay my 22nd round pick for him?  

See the rules thread. If Lamet was one of your keepers heading into the 2020 draft, then yes, you can retain him without the 3 round hit and he will not lose a service year for 2020.

If you opt to keep someone you drafted for the first time in 2020, you can do that, but that player WILL incur the 3 round hit in this year's draft and 2020 WILL count as his initial year of service time.

Correct - I will be working on the keeper sheet over the weekend.

I like the allowed to select from unselected keepers.  I may be up for allowing him to 'win' the roll too.  I haven't spent any time looking at the players available on other teams yet.

OK, let's roll with Ghost's concept. 

Once keepers are locked in on the 12th, I will give Isotope a chance to choose any of the other players still available for his team. He can retain up to 3 of them (plus any from his existing team) at the same round value/service time as the original owner would have received. 

That should provide for a good, or at least improved, foundation for his team heading into the year. 

OMG, ...I actually came up with an operable idea! What a concept. Just to add, ...I will have some marginal guys that I decide NOT to keep. I will be making no deals on those guys this year. I will just set them loose as keeper options for Isotope.