Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Blacks and success in the education system

Are we afraid to really dig down and try to figure out why black students have such poor results compared to other races?  I don't know what the answer is, and apparently nobody since Brown vs Board can figure it out.  But, I know this isn't it.  

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Are we afraid to really dig down and try to figure out why black students have such poor results compared to other races?  I don't know what the answer is, and apparently nobody since Brown vs Board can figure it out.  But, I know this isn't it.  

Seattle city schools did something similar a little while back.  Not enough black kids in the advanced classes?  Easy fix.  No advanced classes for anyone regardless of race.

Spolier alert: Seattle city schools blow and everyone who can afford it sends their kids elsewhere.  Which then makes them b1tch and moan about how unfair it is that these kids can afford quality education while black/brown kids can't.

Rinse. Repeat.

Blacks COULD be great at school. IF they focking tried. But they were more concerned with chilling, smoking weed, and drinking. Skipped class all the time for the above. Come to class high. Stay up late every night. Never study. The few black people at my school who actually gave a Sh1t did well. Our valedictorian was a black girl. But she lived and breathed studying lol 

Forget the race already. Let's talk about the kids whose parents suck at being parents. There are always families where good parents have bad kids, but overall, let's be real.

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Blacks COULD be great at school. IF they focking tried. But they were more concerned with chilling, smoking weed, and drinking. Skipped class all the time for the above. Come to class high. Stay up late every night. Never study. The few black people at my school who actually gave a Sh1t did well. Our valedictorian was a black girl. But she lived and breathed studying lol 

Yeah, because parents.  As I say every time we have this discussion.  Want to find out why ANY kid sucks at school?  Go home and look at their parents.  The answer will be obvious.

4 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Forget the race already. Let's talk about the kids whose parents suck at being parents. There are always families where good parents have bad kids, but overall, let's be real.

Beat me to it.  :wall:

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I think enough time has passed. Good work.

15 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I think enough time has passed. Good work.

Enough time has passed for what? :huh:

26 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yeah, because parents.  As I say every time we have this discussion.  Want to find out why ANY kid sucks at school?  Go home and look at their parents.  The answer will be obvious.

Yep. But honestly the kids just showing up to school is celebrated by teachers cause you never know if they will be there or not. If they had parents that actually gave a dam, made them study and attend class, cared about their grades, their future, etc then the black kids would have a bright future. Instead, the parents fail them but blame society, white people, and the school system. 

37 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

And it’s not changing. Now what? 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And it’s not changing. Now what? 

Now what? We claim white supremacy if you are a liberal. 

Focking idiots. 

Just now, Utilit99 said:

Now what? We claim white supremacy if you are a liberal. 

Focking idiots. 

I’m saying, the parents suck. Agree. So if that’s the cause, how do we solve it? 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m saying, the parents suck. Agree. So if that’s the cause, how do we solve it? 

Get the libs out of power. No other way. 

Trump focked up with his over the top abrasiveness. He focked up bad in the first debate with creepy joe. He focked up with over twittering. 

But Trump is what we needed and still need. Whether it be him or someone like him in terms of delivering on promises on a conservative agenda.  

If you were to mix the loyalty of Trump delivering on promises with the demeaner of Reagan, that would be a truly amazing president here in the US.

This could have something to do with it:

“In about half of the largest 100 cities, most African American and Latino students attend schools where at least 75 percent of all students qualify as poor or low-income under federal guidelines. These stark results emerge from an analysis of data from the National Equity Atlas. The Atlas is a joint project of PolicyLink and the University of Southern California’s Program for Environmental and Regional Equity, or PERE. Following federal guidelines, the National Equity Atlas defines low-income students as those eligible for the federal free- and reduced-lunch program. That includes students with incomes up to $44,863 for a family of four, or 185 percent of the federal poverty line. (Students from families with incomes up to the 130 percent of the poverty line, or $31,525 for a family of four, are eligible for free lunch; the remainder can obtain reduced price lunches.)”

Full article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/02/concentration-poverty-american-schools/471414/

2 minutes ago, dogcows said:

“In about half of the largest 100 cities, most African American and Latino students attend schools where at least 75 percent of all students qualify as poor or low-income under federal guidelines. These stark results emerge from an analysis of data from the National Equity Atlas. The Atlas is a joint project of PolicyLink and the University of Southern California’s Program for Environmental and Regional Equity, or PERE. Following federal guidelines, the National Equity Atlas defines low-income students as those eligible for the federal free- and reduced-lunch program. That includes students with incomes up to $44,863 for a family of four, or 185 percent of the federal poverty line. (Students from families with incomes up to the 130 percent of the poverty line, or $31,525 for a family of four, are eligible for free lunch; the remainder can obtain reduced price lunches.)”

Full article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/02/concentration-poverty-american-schools/471414/

Ok.  Now what?

3 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Full article:

Yeah. Smart parents (or not yet parents)  don't have kids if they can't afford to raise them. Done. 

And how about before you get married, get stable financially. You can't take care of others if you can't take care of yourself. How focking hard is that to understand? 

Do you struggle with that concept dogcow?

• Like 1

not enough information given in this thread.  70% in advanced class were white/asian.  30%  were not.  what percentage of kids in advanced classes were black?  what is the percentage of black kids in the system overall?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok.  Now what?

Since this is talking about big cities, just mix up the populations. If you’ve got schools that are full of poor kids and other schools full of rich kids, you’re only furthering the broken system. But no group of rich parents will ever let that happen, and the poor parents haven’t got the time or power to do much about it. They are just trying to get by.

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

This post says it all.

14 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

George Floyd...I can’t breathe

Ah ok. Thanks for explaining cause I wasn’t sure what you were talking about lol :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

not enough information given in this thread.  70% in advanced class were white/asian.  30%  were not.  what percentage of kids in advanced classes were black?  what is the percentage of black kids in the system overall?  

Click on the tweet and scroll through the thread on twitter.  80% Black or Hispanic 

That’s why real estate value is tied to the racial breakdown of the school zones they reside in. They re-zoned an area near me a couple of years ago and people freaked the fock out. 
I’ve accepted that my property tax will go to other people while I pay for private school. 

36 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Since this is talking about big cities, just mix up the populations. If you’ve got schools that are full of poor kids and other schools full of rich kids, you’re only furthering the broken system. But no group of rich parents will ever let that happen, and the poor parents haven’t got the time or power to do much about it. They are just trying to get by.

By rich people in big cities, you mean liberals. You’ve stumbled on the problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogcows said:

Full article:

Nope. President Poodinhead says otherwise. 

25 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I propose we force rich liberals to send their kids to the worst schools.  That will fix all problems.

Can’t do that, but I bet if we forced politicians to send their kids to public schools, and actually live in the areas they represent things might change, on a lot of fronts. Imagine these ghetto congresspeople having to live in the ghetto? Defund the police wouldn’t have become a thing. Elijah Cummings wasn’t living in the rough part of his district. He lived in the carved out nice area, near John’s Hopkins. Maxine Waters doesn’t even bother living in hers. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Parents??

The gap between black and white test scores and IQ has narrowed since the 60s. 

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

The gap between black and white test scores and IQ has narrowed since the 60s. 

But evidently it's still wide or we wouldn't be talking about equity and raciss math

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

But evidently it's still wide or we wouldn't be talking about equity and raciss math

Sure it’s just worth noting that it’s narrowed.

I guess they’re working harder and harder! :banana: 

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Oink oink 

5 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Honest answer... We don't. 

About the best you can do is provide free and easily available birth control and abortion services, nationwide. 

28 minutes ago, MDC said:

We have come a long way on race relations and equality.

But in 2020 we decide to burn cities because enough is enough.  

Or you know because it was in the Dem playbook to divide.

5 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

By rich people in big cities, you mean liberals. You’ve stumbled on the problem. 

Liberals and conservatives with money are guilty of the same behavior. That’s why it has been so hard to change. Liberal or conservative, people want *their* kids to get the best education.

51 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

We have come a long way on race relations and equality.

But in 2020 we decide to burn cities because enough is enough.  

Or you know because it was in the Dem playbook to divide.

hussein and his husband in heels were great at it. Couldn't lay off the identity politics. People are what their skin color tells them they are.

18 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

hussein and his husband in heels were great at it. Couldn't lay off the identity politics. People are what their skin color tells them they are.

A downward spiral we probably won't recover from in our lifetimes.  

12 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

A downward spiral we probably won't recover from in our lifetimes.  

It is really sad. And people look back at that guy and call him a great president and they call Trump a divider. How can some people be so blind? Seriously out of touch. It's sad.

3 hours ago, dogcows said:

Liberals and conservatives with money are guilty of the same behavior. That’s why it has been so hard to change. Liberal or conservative, people want *their* kids to get the best education.

People who have more money want better things.   Otherwise, there is no point to having the money.  If you start taking away the ability for people to buy better things with more money, you are destroying capitalism.  You are concentrating power into central government.  You are creating a dictatorship.  And then things are FAR FAR worse.

And that is the core problem with the liberal position.  Capitalism is the BEST system.  Not the perfect system.  Its the best.  All the solutions they have tried have only made things worse, and ruined lives and opportunities.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

I propose we force rich liberals to send their kids to the worst schools.  That will fix all problems.

We can’t force their kids into “racial jungles”. That’s inhumane.