Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Virginia school district cancels Dr. Seuss celebration, citing ‘racial undertones’ in his books

On 3/5/2021 at 8:12 PM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

1. If you are hurt by a children's book, you are a drag on the human gene pool.

2. Now this is important, but it seems like we have forgotten and won't remember until it's too late... 

You don't have a right to be unoffended. 

The proper response to "I'm offended!" is "Meh, that's nice."

I don’t want the book to be banned forever or changed, but recognizing some content is offensive and should not be included in schools is fair. 

I love Dr. Suess and his books. He, like Disney, were a product of their time.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:53 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

There is no reason schools shouldn’t be open 5 days a week at this point. Prove me wrong. 

"Teachers" have recently been allowed to work from home and they want to keep it that way. If they are forced to go back to work their union might decide not to support democrats in the next election. 

At this point, people with kids need to homeschool or send their kids to private school. If you can't afford to do either, don't have kids. Stop giving these asshoIes young minds to corrupt. 

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

"Teachers" have recently been allowed to work from home and they want to keep it that way. If they are forced to go back to work their union might decide not to support democrats in the next election. 

At this point, people with kids need to homeschool or send their kids to private school. If you can't afford to do either, don't have kids. Stop giving these asshoIes young minds to corrupt. 

One of the teachers in my league went to Florida for a few weeks and did his classes from there. Yeah, they want to get back. 

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

One of the teachers in my league went to Florida for a few weeks and did his classes from there. Yeah, they want to get back. 

Poor guy. Forced to leave NY in the winter to go to Florida just so he could continue to teach his students. :(

Just now, 5-Points said:

Poor guy. Forced to leave NY in the winter to go to Florida just so he could continue to teach his students. :(

I don’t even blame him.  I blame that there is an incentive for them to stay home. I’ll say it again, start laying some of them off, like gym teachers and guidance counselors, and they’ll be back to work by next week. 

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Does he teach economics by chance? 

https://nypost.com/2021/03/06/nyc-mom-enraged-teacher-played-rap-videos-during-zoom-economics-class/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm

20 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I've been preaching this forever. If you can't afford to take care of your kids, don't have any. That goes for everything involved in the tasks of raising kids.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DonS said:

Read that. Props to the mother, a black woman, for calling it out. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don’t even blame him.  I blame that there is an incentive for them to stay home. I’ll say it again, start laying some of them off, like gym teachers and guidance counselors, and they’ll be back to work by next week. 

I don't blame him either. There are a ton of people who have had to work from home over the last year. I'm sure most of them would continue to do so if their job allowed for it. 

My wife worked from home for 10 years until she got laid off. She got a job in a city 30 miles away. Her commute was 1.5 - 2 hours, each way, for 2 years. She has been working at home since covid and she doesn't plan on going back to the office. Nor should she. Her job doesn't entail being face to face with anybody. 

Teachers don't have that luxury. They need to be in the classroom and their students need for them to be in the classroom. School isn't something that can or should be done remotely. A big part of school is kids learning how to behave in public and in an environment that resembles a work environment. 

13 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I've been preaching this forever. If you can't afford to take care of your kids, don't have any. That goes for everything involved in the tasks of raising kids.

You would think that would be common sense. 

Finish school, get a good job, get married, buy a house, then have kids if you want to. 

Doing that in reverse rarely works out and the kids are the ones who suffer the most as a result. 

20 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

You would think that would be common sense. 

Finish school, get a good job, get married, buy a house, then have kids if you want to. 

Doing that in reverse rarely works out and the kids are the ones who suffer the most as a result. 

I don’t think kids are ignorant any of these things but really, telling kids to stay in school, get a job and marry are only part of the equation. What really should be happening is that parents need to talk to kids about SEX and give kids contraceptives. Since many parents see giving children condoms or putting girls on the pill as giving them permission to be sexual active, then you’re continuing to handicap teenagers who don’t have access to healthcare or finances to provide contraceptives for themselves. Thus, you get a lot of single parents.

8 minutes ago, peenie said:

I don’t think kids are ignorant any of these things but really, telling kids to stay in school, get a job and marry are only part of the equation. What really should be happening is that parents need to talk to kids about SEX and give kids contraceptives. Since many parents see giving children condoms or putting girls on the pill as giving them permission to be sexual active, then you’re continuing to handicap teenagers who don’t have access to healthcare or finances to provide contraceptives for themselves. Thus, you get a lot of single parents.

Kids aren't necessarily ignorant of these things, they just don't consider them. I didn't.  It's not a part of their thought process for the most part. If I had daughters I would get them on birth control the day after they had their first period. Not because I want them to start having sex but because I know they are going to at some point and I would want them to at least be protected against an unwanted pregnancy. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 5:45 PM, dogcows said:

Perfect example of why we need to protect young impressionable minds from the scourge of racism. Too late for this poster I guess.

Your response proved my point.  Thanks.

I'm not going to read through this whole thread, so hopefully it's been brought up before. But if not:

Only selected books, six of them in total comma were withdrawn from future publishing.

While I don't agree with it, I think some of the hand ringing over censorship and blah blah blah is wellcrafted diversion. Aka phony outrage.

Turns out, a good example of what was taken out of circulation is a picture of a very racist Asian sues character. Who previously was colored yellow and in a time before wokeness occurred they at least had the decency to take that away. But it was a really horribly racist characterization. Same with some African thing a Bobbers that were made to look like monkeys.

On any other day, this would be a weird side note. But the reason the radical right media covered this so hard was because that was the same day that they had hearings on the storming of the capital. Wherein the FBI director shot down b******* like it was actually antifa members who stormed the capital! While pointing out specific individuals and the specific white supremacist groups they belong to that were the ones who stormed the capital violently. 

Now, of the two stories, which is more salient? Which is more historic? And which is more important?

Yet, while the normal media covered the Congressional hearings on the violent storming of our nation's capital, Tucky Carlson lost his s*** over a fictional Suesd character being taken out of circulation.

It's diversion folks. And it happens on both sides.

Now I'm against pretty much all censorship. And I don't like that this happened but there's another types of censorship. Which is covering b******* Fringe stories while absolutely refusing to cover one of the biggest stories of the year. Hell, rampaging our nation's capital didn't even happen over Nam, Watergate and the race riots of the 70s.

Just ask yourself. If it was antifa or BLM that did half the damage that the Q crowd did, would Fox be covering Dr Seuss that day? 

• Confused 2

48 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I'm not going to read through this whole thread, so hopefully it's been brought up before. But if not:

Only selected books, six of them in total comma were withdrawn from future publishing.

While I don't agree with it, I think some of the hand ringing over censorship and blah blah blah is wellcrafted diversion. Aka phony outrage.

Turns out, a good example of what was taken out of circulation is a picture of a very racist Asian sues character. Who previously was colored yellow and in a time before wokeness occurred they at least had the decency to take that away. But it was a really horribly racist characterization. Same with some African thing a Bobbers that were made to look like monkeys.

On any other day, this would be a weird side note. But the reason the radical right media covered this so hard was because that was the same day that they had hearings on the storming of the capital. Wherein the FBI director shot down b******* like it was actually antifa members who stormed the capital! While pointing out specific individuals and the specific white supremacist groups they belong to that were the ones who stormed the capital violently. 

Now, of the two stories, which is more salient? Which is more historic? And which is more important?

Yet, while the normal media covered the Congressional hearings on the violent storming of our nation's capital, Tucky Carlson lost his s*** over a fictional Suesd character being taken out of circulation.

Now I'm against pretty much all censorship. And I don't like that this happened but there's another types of censorship. Which is covering b******* Fringe stories while absolutely refusing to cover one of the biggest stories of the year. Hell, rampaging our nation's capital didn't even happen over Nam, Watergate and the race riots of the 70s.

Just ask yourself. If it was antifa or BLM that did half the damage that the Q crowd did, would Fox be covering Dr Seuss that day? 

Yeah, so glad we have a normal media to let us know the truth. Could you point me in that direction? I can’t seem to find any. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

How do you know they were all white supremacists?  I believe MDC provided a link that said 60% of the people at the Capitol building riot didn't even vote.  Well, if they didn't vote, then clearly they're not Trump supporters.  I thought all white supremacists were Trump supporters.  To note, I don't recall any mention of how many voted for Trump and how many voted for Biden.

For all we know, the bulk of them could've just been Antifa people and liberals masquerading as Trump supporters and/or white supremacists.  I wouldn't put it past them.

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

Hell, rampaging our nation's capital didn't even happen over Nam, Watergate and the race riots of the 70s.

First of all, censorship is a bigger deal than a couple admitted antifa supporters and a guy dressed up in a halloween outfit running into the capitol armed with cell phones taking selfies 

Secondly, way more people, including cops were killed in atifa riots in multiple cities across the country as well as businesses being destroyed and ransacked last summer.

But no, your hero reporters and liberal politicians were all busy trying to bring down Trump and nothing else.

You did not make one single valid point in your endless post. 

• Haha 1

In 1954, 5 people were shot in the capital.  Wiffle left that out for some reason. Then he went with the “if they were BLM” route. An unarmed woman was shot dead at the capital, hundreds hunted down and arrested and held without bail.  I don’t recall any BLM protesters during their summer of violence and destruction being shot or killed, or the FBI pursuing them. What a turd. 

4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, so glad we have a normal media to let us know the truth. Could you point me in that direction? I can’t seem to find any. Thanks. 

going to be hard in your case since you tuned in the Fox news and broke off the dial.

3 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

First of all, censorship is a bigger deal than a couple admitted antifa supporters and a guy dressed up in a halloween outfit running into the capitol armed with cell phones taking selfies 

Secondly, way more people, including cops were killed in atifa riots in multiple cities across the country as well as businesses being destroyed and ransacked last summer.

But no, your hero reporters and liberal politicians were all busy trying to bring down Trump and nothing else.

You did not make one single valid point in your endless post. 

Man you guys have hard times with numbers. Trump's crowd with a couple 100 people was millions of people. And the storming of the capital which involved hundreds is suddenly now a couple guys taking selfies. Lol

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

going to be hard in your case since you tuned in the Fox news and broke off the dial.

So tell us where you get your news from? You guys never seem to say. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Antifa and blm did far more damage this year, and the msm simply outright lied about it. 

• Haha 1

This “outrage” is how the Republican Party constantly tricks their voters into voting for them despite the fact that their policies are provably bad for most of their constituents. Anger about a “culture war” is a way to get people riled up while you enact policies that are harmful for them. Obscure Dr. Seuss books have zilch to do with governing or handling America’s problems. But look at everybody getting worked up like it’s the end of the world.

The funny thing is, the strategy is quite effective... people remember these silly games a lot longer than they remember policy details.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

In 1954, 5 people were shot in the capital.  Wiffle left that out for some reason. Then he went with the “if they were BLM” route. An unarmed woman was shot dead at the capital, hundreds hunted down and arrested and held without bail.  I don’t recall any BLM protesters during their summer of violence and destruction being shot or killed, or the FBI pursuing them. What a turd. 

Memory of a goldfish: https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/antifa-shooter-had-loaded-gun-in-pocket-when-cops-killed-him-police/ That is LITERALLY the FBI pursuing, shooting, and killing a BLM protester. Granted, he deserved it, but it’s funny you cannot remember this.

11 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Memory of a goldfish: https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/antifa-shooter-had-loaded-gun-in-pocket-when-cops-killed-him-police/ That is LITERALLY the FBI pursuing, shooting, and killing a BLM protester. Granted, he deserved it, but it’s funny you cannot remember this.

That’s Antifa, I said BLM. Read with your eyes, not your feelings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s Antifa, I said BLM. Read with your eyes, not your feelings. 

You said “BLM protesters” of which Antifa is a subset; he was at a BLM protest, protesting in support of BLM in his own twisted and insane way. Funny, when Antifa idiots commit the violence, you are happy to call all of BLM rioters. But when this definition no longer suits whatever idiotic “argument” you’re trying to push, you expect everybody else to have the same goldfish memory that you do. So, are you now saying that any violence committed by Antifa is no longer attributable to the BLM protests? If so, I think you have to go back and delete or edit a few hundred posts.

Just now, dogcows said:

You said “BLM protesters” of which Antifa is a subset; he was at a BLM protest, protesting in support of BLM in his own twisted and insane way. Funny, when Antifa idiots commit the violence, you are happy to call all of BLM rioters. But when this definition no longer suits whatever idiotic “argument” you’re trying to push, you expect everybody else to have the same goldfish memory that you do. So, are you now saying that any violence committed by Antifa is no longer attributable to the BLM protests? If so, I think you have to go back and delete or edit a few hundred posts.

Uh, no they aren’t. Subset. Lol. 

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

WTF are you rambling on about now? 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Uh, no they aren’t. Subset. Lol. 

Dude, scroll back and read your posts. Are you saying that when Antifa people protest at a BLM protest, they aren’t BLM protesters at all? So, please make a list of the different categories of people at a BLM protest for us all.  Because if you’re going to make a claim that the FBI never pursued a BLM protester, I guess we need to know what your PERSONAL definition of a BLM protester is.

Just now, dogcows said:

Dude, scroll back and read your posts. Are you saying that when Antifa people protest at a BLM protest, they aren’t BLM protesters at all? So, please make a list of the different categories of people at a BLM protest for us all.  Because if you’re going to make a claim that the FBI never pursued a BLM protester, I guess we need to know what your PERSONAL definition of a BLM protester is.

BLM helped get Biden elected. Antifa rioted when he was sworn in. Stop, you’re getting dumber by the post. 

BLM helped get Biden elected. Antifa rioted when he was sworn in. Stop, you’re getting dumber by the post. 

So, you won’t tell anybody what you consider to be a “BLM protester.” This certainly makes it convenient when you make a claim that the FBI never pursued one. So when people show you evidence that the FBI actually DID pursue a BLM protester, you can say “yeah well in MY book, that guy isn’t REALLY a BLM protester.” What a sack of donkey nuts.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

BLM helped get Biden elected.. 

According to you and others on this forum, BLM with its “defund the police” slogans actually hurt the Democrats in the last election by increasing turnout for Trump voters. Changing that tune as well? How nice a life it must be to be a goldfish with no memories of what happened 15 seconds ago, only being able to think of whatever outrage Fox is pumping into their brain at the moment.

5 minutes ago, dogcows said:

According to you and others on this forum, BLM with its “defund the police” slogans actually hurt the Democrats in the last election by increasing turnout for Trump voters. Changing that tune as well? How nice a life it must be to be a goldfish with no memories of what happened 15 seconds ago, only being able to think of whatever outrage Fox is pumping into their brain at the moment.

BLM’s website linked to actblue.com, a fund raising website for the Democratic Party. Antifa doesn’t have a website. BLM wants to redo the system. Antifa doesn’t want a system. Try reading up on these things once in a while. 

BLM’s website linked to actblue.com, a fund raising website for the Democratic Party. Antifa doesn’t have a website. BLM wants to redo the system. Antifa doesn’t want a system. Try reading up on these things once in a while. 

Whu…..? Sorry what are you talking about? Do BLM and Antifa people get separate membership cards so you can tell them apart? Point still stands: until today, you painted Antifa and BLM as being the same because it was your chance to call all of BLM violent extremists. Now that you made a stupid claim that is clearly wrong, you’re changing your tune. Sad. Weak.

Just now, dogcows said:

Whu…..? Sorry what are you talking about? Do BLM and Antifa people get separate membership cards so you can tell them apart? Point still stands: until today, you painted Antifa and BLM as being the same because it was your chance to call all of BLM violent extremists. Now that you made a stupid claim that is clearly wrong, you’re changing your tune. Sad. Weak.

This is just sad, take your L and move on.

Just now, dogcows said:

They’re both violent. Antifa is more violent. BLM concentrated more on violently shopping. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They’re both violent. Antifa is more violent. BLM concentrated more on violently shopping. 

So funny I forgot to 💩.