Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2021 Masters Thread**

The Masters is now just a little more than a month away as it returns to its usual early April date after a historic fall version was staged in November. For a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. Here are my initial top ten favorites for this year as has been done for several years now. List is certain to change as players round into form and/or fall out of it in the tournaments preceding Augusta. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Louis Oosthuzien- No one would be surprised by a high finish from Louis in any major at this point, but considering he rarely actually wins a tournament, this pick is a bit of a shock. He's playing a lot in 2021 and this is just a hunch that he picks off a second major before he's 40. Why not here where he's almost won before. 

2. Jon Rahm- It's coming. Rahm will win a major and it's going to happen in one of the next two years. The fact that he hasn't won yet in 2021 makes a win at Augusta all the more likely. He's hungry and a great fit for Augusta. Question is: Does he want it too much?

3. Patrick Reed- Reed's game is well suited to Augusta, particularly his work on and around the greens. I think he'll be a top ten finisher in the vast majority of Masters that he plays in for the next 10-15 years. 

4. Dustin Johnson- World's top player, but hasn't looked good in past two outings despite winning in Saudi Arabia. Defending champions rarely win at Augusta as has been proven time and time again. 

5. Xander Schauffele- Impossible to leave Schauffele off this list or any other top ten list at a major until he proves otherwise. Just seems to up his game for the bigger tournaments and while he may not win a major this year, I would think that first major win isn't too far off. 

6. Sungjae Im- Carries over great form from the Masters in November. Those good memories and his tireless work ethic make him a legit contender. 

7. Jordan Spieth- Yes, Jordan could just as easily miss the cut as finish top-8, but he does seem to have turned a corner over the past month and this may actually be selling him short a bit. We'll see if he can keep the momentum going during Florida swing. 

8. Tony Finau- Had Finau top-2 a month ago. His play of late hasn't been great but a solid showing at the Texas Open this weekend could do wonders for his chances next week. 

9. Patrick Cantlay- Intense man built for intense tournaments. Just needs to avoid any health issues to be considered anything less than a contender. 

10. Cameron Smith-  See Sungjae Im. Smith contended in November and has been contending all of 2021 so far. Needs a haircut, though. Yikes. 

Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning: Daniel Berger, Bryson DeChambeau, Tyrrell Hatton, Viktor Hovland, Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas, Webb Simpson

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2020, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Jason Day, Tommy Fleetwood, Shane Lowry, Rory McIlroy, Francesco Molinari, Justin Rose, Gary Woodland

Young, exciting players with little Masters experience, but tons of game: Abraham Ancer, Cameron Champ, Max Homa, Si Woo Kim, Collin Morikawa, Joaquin Niemann, Carlos Ortiz, Scottie Scheffler, Matt Wallace, Matthew Wolff

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Paul Casey, Harris English, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Sergio Garcia, Brian Harman, Billy Horschel, Kevin Kisner, Marc Leishman, Kevin Na, Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson,  Brendon Todd, Bubba Watson, Lee Westwood, Danny Willett

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Christian Bezuidenhout, Stewart Cink, Corey Conners, Dylan Fritelli, Lanto Griffin, MacKenzie Hughes, Zach Johnson, Matt Jones, Jason Kokrak, Matt Kuchar, Martin Laird, Phil Mickelson, Sebastian Munoz, Ryan Palmer, C.T. Pan, Victor Perez, Ian Poulter, Charl Schwartzel, Robert Streb, Hudson Swafford, Michael Thompson, Bernd Wiesberger

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Angel Cabrera, Fred Couples, Brian Gay, Jim Herman, Trevor Immelman, Bernhard Langer, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Jose Maria Olazabal, Vijay Singh, Jimmy Walker, Mike Weir, Ian Woosnam, All amateurs

Not playing due to injury: Tiger Woods

The two guys who aren't in the Top Ten, but likely will be by April are Rahm and Hovland. Hard to leave either out. 

How many times will Tiger be mentioned?

11 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Not playing due to injury: Tiger Woods

Poosay.  

I'll be rooting for Patrick Reed.  Let the haters hate.  :lol:

I got Speef at 60-1 a couple months ago when he was just starting to play better. Not saying he'll win but he loves Augusta. No way he'll be at that number come tourney week.

27 minutes ago, edjr said:

How many times will Tiger be mentioned?

I'm sure a lot of golfers will be dedicating their performance to Tiger, but I'll be playing for Chubbs Peterson.

51 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

i got $5000 tiger doesn't even make the turn :banana:

:first:

56 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

i got $5000 tiger doesn't even make the turn :banana:

Must be a Dale Earnhardt joke in here somewhere

Hovland contending at the API. Not sure who I'm going to move out of the top ten after this weekend, but I'm not going to be able to keep him off the list. As consistent a player as you'll find world-wide right now. 

Will update this after Match Play. Koepka will obviously fall out of Top Ten, but Finau has also been playing terrible since I first posted this. There will be a shake-up for sure based on what's happened over the past few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Fumbleweed said:

Will update this after Match Play. Koepka will obviously fall out of Top Ten, but Finau has also been playing terrible since I first posted this. There will be a shake-up for sure based on what's happened over the past few weeks. 

Momentum going into Masters week doesn't seem to be as important as it is for many tournaments.  Some guys' games just fit at Augusta while others struggle there.  I like your top 17 against the field.  Maybe throw in Si Woo Kim as an 18th.  I think he has a game that is well suited to Augusta.  

Udpated the Top Ten to include Rahm as Koepka is out of the top ten and may not even play. Would liked to have found a spot for Hovland, but just couldn't remove anyone to place him top ten. Barring something unforeseen, the original post is going to be my top ten heading into the start of play next week. 

GET RAHMED!

11 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Hopefully this turns out like the Marth Burke fiasco 15 years ago. The Masters is ran commercial free and the left wing mob is told to go fock themselves. 

Just now, bostonlager said:

Hopefully this turns out like the Marth Burke fiasco 15 years ago. The Masters is ran commercial free and the left wing mob is told to go fock themselves. 

That would be the turning point we need to kill the cancel culture.  :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

One thing that is guaranteed is that the Masters will tell the left wing lunatics to go fock themselves. They will move on to baseball since it is run by cowards.

6 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

That would be the turning point we need to kill the cancel culture.  :thumbsup:

Wishful thinking. It possibly only ends when they are told in front of national TV to go fock themselves over and over again.

Speef on fire into today's round. Potential move into the top 5?

Tournament before the Masters is going to bring the cream of the crop to the top of the leaderboard. 90 players all trying to peak for the second weekend in April. Spieth, Ancer, Scheffler....all the best players actually playing this week who are playing next week as well are off to good starts. 

Spieth has a real chance next week. He's looking more and more like his old self this year. 

First round should be firm and fast meaning scores will be modest at best. Saturday is best chance of rain. Sunday looks nice, but course could play softer on that day based on what happens Saturday with the rain. 

I am hoping the rain misses and we have closer to US Open Scores. 

Augusta National was not set up to be a meat grinder, she was purposely set up for back nine theatrics.

I think back to Phil v. Els in 2004, the O'Meara/Duval/Couples/Furyk back nine battle of '98, and of course Jack's charge in 1986 - I hope we see a shoot out of some sorts come late Sunday afternoon. I do hope the course plays firm and fast, as intended - the greens need to have teeth in order for her to show her true test. 

• Thanks 1

Still debating the couple golfers il throw money on.  I dont love betting the favorites in golf but at the Masters it is hard not to.  Id like something longer than 35 to 1 but after that section I dont really see anyone winning this year in normal conditions.   

Might go Rahm at 12 to 1 then take a guy from that 30 range.  Potentially cam smith or fitzy.  

FYI, if you guys aren’t able to get to a tv or anything you can get the Paramount + app. They will be streaming the Masters on there. You also get CBS and all their shows. Even gives you the local news stations on there 

42 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

i put $50 on oosthuizien at +9000

That would be a nice hit.

I was in vegas way back in  late 2005., with a buddy of mine.  He asked me for a good long shot, we decided to put 50 each on Fred Couples at some ungodly number and he was 1 back going into Sunday.  WHat a kick in the balls that day was. I always hated Phil and even more so that day

26 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Still debating the couple golfers il throw money on.  I dont love betting the favorites in golf but at the Masters it is hard not to.  Id like something longer than 35 to 1 but after that section I dont really see anyone winning this year in normal conditions.   

Might go Rahm at 12 to 1 then take a guy from that 30 range.  Potentially cam smith or fitzy.  

I am playing these:

Paul Casey +4000

Corey Conners +8000

Abe Ancer +10000

Will Zalatoris +10000

I'm not getting anything done at work today.  Can't seem to turn off the live stream.  :wall:

10 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I'm not getting anything done at work today.  Can't seem to turn off the live stream.  :wall:

Masters > Work

Debating throwing money on Matsuyama to win -120.  I mean he is up 4 strokes and hits it in play as well as anyone.   

I understand all it takes is a poor round from him and a good round from just 1 of the -7s.  

Am I underestimating that outcome if I bet the -120?

Thoughts? Any bets today or still live? I ended up betting Fitz and Cam Smith straight.  Cam was fun on Friday until he had the post eagle: bogey-double

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Debating throwing money on Matsuyama to win -120.  I mean he is up 4 strokes and hits it in play as well as anyone.   

I understand all it takes is a poor round from him and a good round from just 1 of the -7s.  

Am I underestimating that outcome if I bet the -120?

Thoughts? Any bets today or still live? I ended up betting Fitz and Cam Smith straight.  Cam was fun on Friday until he had the post eagle: bogey-double

The only thing that makes me hesitant is he has sprayed some tee shots and was lucky to get out of some trouble. I can see someone going low and him struggling. His putting up until this week has been bad as well.