MLCKAA

What is your net worth?

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

A million isn't what it used to be and many people are late 40's, early 50's. That is 25-30 years of work to get there.

I know that I did not have debt coming out of college, but did not get anything from my parents. My wife and I are savers and do decent from an income standpoint. 

+1

Fidelity is giving us retirement planning one on one "consultations".  I have one in 5 minutes.  Hoping it's not just a marketing opportunity and they'll actually have some good insight in to my investments and retirement plans.

46 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I think its weird to share personal finances, that's just me though.  With that said, one's net worth is good to know.  For those who want to roughly calculate:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/net-worth-calculator

Its not really "sharing" when its on a message board with strangers.

Is bitcoin up or down today? 

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Fidelity is giving us retirement planning one on one "consultations".  I have one in 5 minutes.  Hoping it's not just a marketing opportunity and they'll actually have some good insight in to my investments and retirement plans.

Ask them if crypto should be 80 or 100% of a portfolio.

We are OK.   Decent amount of $$ in our retirement accounts.  Our house will be paid for in 6 years when I turn 60.  Some cash in the savings.  Wife getting laid off in May hurt but it didn;t clobber us.  

We aren't great......And a big disaster could hurt, but we are OK.   And I'm good with OK.

17 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

We are OK.   Decent amount of $$ in our retirement accounts.  Our house will be paid for in 6 years when I turn 60.  Some cash in the savings.  Wife getting laid off in May hurt but it didn;t clobber us.  

We aren't great......And a big disaster could hurt, but we are OK.   And I'm good with OK.

Money doesn't buy happiness.  Being OK does.

• Thanks 1

I just checked my "nut".  I have it sitting there in an Ally account and the interest is comical at this point.  What would be the best thing for me to do with it?  🤔

6 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

All things being equal I'll take more money over less money.

• Thanks 1

We are doing alright for late 30s. If my wife goes back to work next year that would help.

Both of our kids would be in school, but she is still undecided on going to work again with her degree. She want to do a low paying job and only work part time, but that would be a waste of a chemical engineering degree and her making 20k a year will not help us much.

18 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I think that there is a (weak) correlation between money and happiness, but it is increasing.

Money actually can buy happiness, study finds - The Washington Post

While money can't buy happiness, not having money can impact your ability to be happy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Both of our kids would be in school, but she is still undecided on going to work again with her degree. She want to do a low paying job and only work part time, but that would be a waste of a chemical engineering degree and her making 20k a year will not help us much.

My wife was a Dental Hygienist and started staying at home 11 years ago with our first born, then we had #2.  So we have been a one income family for over a decade now which has hurt our "net worth".  With that said, I wouldn't have changed that decision for the world.   The comfort  we get from taking them to school, picking them up, taking them to activities (sports) going on field trips with them and being there after school homework etc is worth more than money to me.  

We are fine, but we live in the same house since we got married and her 401(k) is not much, both of which would be different if she worked, but I don't care.  

With that said my kids are getting older now and just before Covid she was asked to be a pre-school teacher part time (during school hours) and did that for a short time, then Covid hit.  We are currently discussing that once everything goes back to normal if she goes back to part time pre-school teaching (bringing home some money but still off work when the kids are out of school) or if she looks to restart her career as a Hygienist.  

I bought my net for $5. Probably declined in value since then tho.

23 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

My wife was a Dental Hygienist and started staying at home 11 years ago with our first born, then we had #2.  So we have been a one income family for over a decade now which has hurt our "net worth".  With that said, I wouldn't have changed that decision for the world.   The comfort  we get from taking them to school, picking them up, taking them to activities (sports) going on field trips with them and being there after school homework etc is worth more than money to me.  

We are fine, but we live in the same house since we got married and her 401(k) is not much, both of which would be different if she worked, but I don't care.  

With that said my kids are getting older now and just before Covid she was asked to be a pre-school teacher part time (during school hours) and did that for a short time, then Covid hit.  We are currently discussing that once everything goes back to normal if she goes back to part time pre-school teaching (bringing home some money but still off work when the kids are out of school) or if she looks to restart her career as a Hygienist.  

Had almost the exact same situation. My wife is a dental hygienist. Stayed home with 2 kids for about 12 years. Living in the same house since we got married.

Wife went back to work about 7 years ago as a hygienist. Works a couple of days a week to get some income and sanity. I can give you some tips sometime on how to encourage that sort of thing as the money for hygiene is still pretty darn good. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Is it bad when your retirement plan involves the expiration of a spouse??

Not if she's more than 40 years older than you.  

17 hours ago, MLCKAA said:

What is your net worth?

depends how many fish I catch

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

Both of the kids will be in school though. I understand stay at home mom's when there are babies/toddlers. That is better than daycare.

However what is there to do while the kids are in school.

8 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Marital hint:  Never ask this question to your wife.  😄

Laundry, cook, clean, run errands, who picks picks them up at 3:00 and stays with them until 5:30?   What happens if they get sick, during the summer months when they aren't in school?

Obviously it can be done, there are a ton, maybe most two parents working and they have afterschool care, camps, babysitters etc.  Just saying.  

Once they are teenagers its a whole other ball game, they are more self sufficient. 

ETA:  To be fair, after Covid, I expect more and more "desk" jobs to be able to work from home so this may change my perspective.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Both of the kids will be in school though. I understand stay at home mom's when there are babies/toddlers. That is better than daycare.

Who will service the Geek Club? :dunno: 

13 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Who will service the Geek Club? :dunno: 

We're more than satisfied with your wife. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strike said:

I’m very interested in what your consultation was like.  Care to share?

Probably around $500k or something like that. 

8 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

My brother and I took over the family business.  He's 9 years older than I but hasn't saved a focking dime.  I live within my means for the most part.  I have a camper at the lake instead of a lake home type of thing.    Paid off my house before I was 40.  Granted, living in northern Minnesota helps a lot with the cost of living.  

Living within your means is the smart way to go. Not many people have this clue. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

A lot less after the divorce was finalized in Jan

Maybe you should not of cheated on your wife toolbag. Hope she took you for everything 

5 hours ago, Mike Isles said:

Maybe you should not of cheated on your wife toolbag. Hope she took you for everything 

You just can't pass up an opportunity to act like a whiny . All because I didnt like a song that you liked. Grow up dude.

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You just can't pass up an opportunity to act like a whiny . All because I didnt like a song that you liked. Grow up dude.

Ha. I have no respect for cheaters. Maybe I should drop it. Also I have no clue what you are talking about song wise. 

42 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Ha. I have no respect for cheaters. Maybe I should drop it. Also I have no clue what you are talking about song wise. 

Gossiping about me with shotsup over PM. What a pvssy. You never said anything to me until I commented in your thread. You keep lying about not remembering on top of it. You don't know me or my ex, and yet you are going to sit there are keep bringing this up for no reason. It sounds like you are one of those spiteful little mean girl bltches.

Having a kid at 16, dropping out of HS, and getting a job doesn't bode well for someone's long term net worth.  I've only been a CPT for 6 years.  Prior to 2015, I was only making $17 an hour.  I had no savings or 401k.  I was living paycheck to paycheck in a small 2-bedroom apartment.  I had over $75k in credit card bills.  Over the last 6 years, my pay has averaged $74k per year... I'm up to $84k now.  My credit card debt is way down... only have $15k left.  I'm thinking that if I die tomorrow, my son will probably get very little.  I only have a $75k (whole life), life insurance policy.