fandandy

Does anyone here fast regularly?

13 minutes ago, fandandy said:

If yes, have you noticed any benefits?  Health or otherwise?

Never.  I graze.

I did a day a week a few years ago. It worked to lose weight. For every research paper that touts the benefits, you read one that says it doesn't do anything other than keep you in compliance calorie wise.

From 7 pm to 12 pm every day

34 minutes ago, fandandy said:

If yes, have you noticed any benefits?  Health or otherwise?

Yes, I like the 20 hours fasting 4 hours eating. I'll have something small at 2pm and then dinner with the family. Once or twice a week I'll do a 24 hour fast. The longest I've gone is 48 hours.

16/8 works too.

Benefits, obviously, I lost a lot of weight and felt really good. 

The issue I had was headaches when I wasn't getting enough salt throughout the day. I'd also got cold which is normal when fasting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yes, I like the 20 hours fasting 4 hours eating. I'll have something small at 2pm and then dinner with the family. Once or twice a week I'll do a 24 hour fast. The longest I've gone is 48 hours.

16/8 works too.

Benefits, obviously, I lost a lot of weight and felt really good. 

The issue I had was headaches when I wasn't getting enough salt throughout the day. I'd also got cold which is normal when fasting.

I was thinking 2 days (24 hour periods) a week.  Maybe stop eating at 8 pm and then not eat again until after 8 pm the following day.  I know that is late but I work until 7 most every night.

2 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I was thinking 2 days (24 hour periods) a week.  Maybe stop eating at 8 pm and then not eat again until after 8 pm the following day.  I know that is late but I work until 7 most every night.

That could work. You'll need to figure out what works best for you. 

Just know your body is going to crave food during the times you normally eat. You just have to power through for an hour and the cravings will subside. Drinking water with apple cider vinegar helps.

Speaking of water, drink lots of water. You may have to add some minerals if you start getting headaches like I did.

I do the 16/8 fast here and there. Longest I've done is 24 hours. Funny how your body just gets used to it. Not sure of any actual benefits outside of calorie deficit.

My brother does 3-5 day fasts a couple of times every year. That just sounds dumb to me but he heard someone on Rogan talking about it and he bought into it.

tell me more about the fasting

I have a friend that does it and says it's pretty easy at 1st if you eat dinner at night and don't eat until the next dinner

I typically do not eat until I get home, around 4 pm right now. The first benefit is never having to worry about bringing food to work, or buying food either.

I also feel good when I make sure to eat healthy and not over eat because I went all day without eating.

6 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I have a friend that does it and says it's pretty easy at 1st if you eat dinner at night and don't eat until the next dinner

I'm looking for more than just health benefits but they can be substantial, supposedly.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/intermittent-fasting-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work

What I would do is I think referred to as 5:2 fasting.  I would fast two days a week.  I wouldn't eat anything during the fast, just drink water.

6 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Well, the idea is you don't eat anything and drink only water, coffee, or tea.

For me what I found is it was easy eating lunch and then going 24 hours until the next lunch. When you wake up all you have to do is wait until lunch time. At night you can just go to bed a little early if you start getting really hungry. But if you ate a good lunch I found I was fine the rest of the day.

Intermittent Fasting is suppose to be the sh!t if you are working out with weights. Builds muscle helps to cut you up. Joe Rogan believe in it in one of his podcast and a lot of others do. Look it up on Youtube and some serious built guys swear by it!

9 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I typically do not eat until I get home, around 4 pm right now. The first benefit is never having to worry about bringing food to work, or buying food either.

I also feel good when I make sure to eat healthy and not over eat because I went all day without eating.

Had a physical job a few years back and I would do the same get up at like 5 am didn't get home from work to about 4 pm. Would eat something then and eat something for bed. I lost like ten pounds in a month and was eating crap food and felt great! Could just imagine if I ate healthy food then and how amazing it would have been.

Well when I was a kid, I would definitely fast a lot, but only because I was having too much fun swimming, running, play around to address my hunger.  So I just went hungry.  I notice that as an adult, people flip that upside down.  Eating is the fun, and doing physical stuff is annoying.  You need to recapture that youthful mindset. 

Really, fasting is about a 3-4 hour window where you feel very hungry.  Once you are past that window, you stop feeling it.  If I want to fast, I might down some Tums in that 3-4 window to kill the hunger until I'm past it.

53 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Well when I was a kid, I would definitely fast a lot, but only because I was having too much fun swimming, running, play around to address my hunger.  So I just went hungry.  I notice that as an adult, people flip that upside down.  Eating is the fun, and doing physical stuff is annoying.  You need to recapture that youthful mindset. 

Really, fasting is about a 3-4 hour window where you feel very hungry.  Once you are past that window, you stop feeling it.  If I want to fast, I might down some Tums in that 3-4 window to kill the hunger until I'm past it.

I remember when I was young and then swimming all day and you was ready to eat dog food or whatever was available. Something about swimming and the heat made you to be starving.