Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

New Deal for Dak

66 million to sign, oh my soul, how can anyone survive on that. 

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

And CeeDee Lamb becomes the #1 PPR WR.

Not if their OLine looks like KC's did last month.

11 hours ago, AxeElf said:

And CeeDee Lamb becomes the #1 PPR WR.

They had him ranked as the 21st dynasty WR

I say he's top 5

38 minutes ago, polecatt said:

They had him ranked as the 21st dynasty WR

LOL

Listen to the Elf,

Trophy on the shelf;

Listen to the others,

Go crying to your mothers.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AxeElf said:

LOL

Listen to the Elf,

Trophy on the shelf;

Listen to the others,

Go crying to your mothers.

ok I always thought it. was elf on the  shelf.

now you are saying trophy on the shelf. 

which is it?

15 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Not if their OLine looks like KC's did last month.

yeah, the line  was bad in Dallas this year. 

at least they can void the  last 2 years.

Ray, regarding voidable years - per USAToday, regarding JJ Watt's contract:

The NFL and NFLPA “allow the voiding dummy years to be used for pro-ration purposes even though they’re not real years, and they void the last day of the league year or some specified date,” Corry explained.

“It’s a legal way to cheat the cap until they close it. I expect a number of the guys you see in free agency signing one-year deals on paper are four-year deals that void to one. Watt signed with the Cardinals a two-year, $28 million deal. … But cap number is $4.9 million because they’re able to stretch his $12 million signing bonus over five years instead of two. He still gets the money. They just get the cap relief because the $12 million signing bonus isn’t prorated for 2021-22. It’s prorated for 2021 to 2025.”

4 hours ago, Bills04 said:

The NFL and NFLPA “allow the voiding dummy years to be used for pro-ration purposes even though they’re not real years, and they void the last day of the league year or some specified date,” Corry explained.

“It’s a legal way to cheat the cap until they close it. I expect a number of the guys you see in free agency signing one-year deals on paper are four-year deals that void to one. Watt signed with the Cardinals a two-year, $28 million deal. … But cap number is $4.9 million because they’re able to stretch his $12 million signing bonus over five years instead of two. He still gets the money. They just get the cap relief because the $12 million signing bonus isn’t prorated for 2021-22. It’s prorated for 2021 to 2025.”

well,  it is better than signing a long  term  deal at  top dollar for a QB who likely isnt worth the money.

cowboys have time to figure out. what Dak is.

sure his stats were great,  but. he may have had the easiest schedule in terms of weak defenses of any QB during his last full year starting.

not saying he is a bad qb.  Just saying hes not  as good as his stats would lead you to believe.

13 hours ago, Bills04 said:

This voidable years thing is stupid.  What's the point then in a salary cap?  Why not just sign everyone to long term deals with a low base salary, high bonus money and a bunch of voidable years?  For example... Shaquille Barrett.

The Bucs can give him an 8 year deal, with 4 voidable years.  That 8 year deal will be for $120M where $60M is in bonus money.  The first 4 years, the base salary is $3M per year and the last 4 years, the base salary is around $12M per year.  The Bucs will get a cap hit of $10.5M AAV for the first 4 years and cut him after that with $78M of cap money that they never have to pay.  Barrett ends up getting $72M, but the Bucs only have to pay $42M towards their cap.

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well,  it is better than signing a long  term  deal at  top dollar for a QB who likely isnt worth the money.

cowboys have time to figure out. what Dak is.

sure his stats were great,  but. he may have had the easiest schedule in terms of weak defenses of any QB during his last full year starting.

not saying he is a bad qb.  Just saying hes not  as good as his stats would lead you to believe.

Dak's contract is set up to be renegotiated after the 2022 season... after they get rid of Cooper next year and free up some cap space and then cut Elliott after 2022 and free up more.

TBay, @ 11:02 - nope; that $60M bonus averages $7.5M a year.  If the contract were to be voided after year 4, the team would suffer a $30M cap hit, for the remainder of the pro-rated bonus!!

13 minutes ago, Bills04 said:

TBay, @ 11:02 - nope; that $60M bonus averages $7.5M a year.  If the contract were to be voided after year 4, the team would suffer a $30M cap hit, for the remainder of the pro-rated bonus!!

Oh, ok.  Thanks.  I thought they didn't have to cover the remainder.

so are those voidable years at the teams option?  or at Daks?

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

so are those voidable years at the teams option?  or at Daks?

I'd think the team would always have full control on that.  Don't know for sure though.  Someone else might.  But I can't imagine any team would be willing to allow a player to have that much of an affect on their salary cap.  Imagine if Watson had a chance to void his contract this year.  :shocking:

The Texans might literally have to trade virtually every player not on a minimum salary contract to stay under the cap.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

I'd think the team would always have full control on that.  Don't know for sure though.  Someone else might.  But I can't imagine any team would be willing to allow a player to have that much of an affect on their salary cap.  Imagine if Watson had a chance to void his contract this year.  :shocking:

The Texans might literally have to trade virtually every player not on a minimum salary contract to stay under the cap.

fair enough.  but I will point out  that  teams have signed some pretty stupid contracts so the question is worth asking.