Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Bucs place franchise tag on Chris Godwin

They must be sure they can sign Barrett

Godwin is the easy choice because he's the only one who's tag number is below his market value.  Everyone else (that matters), David, Barrett, Suh, and Gronk, their tag numbers are higher than their market value.  It's better to pay guys accordingly and not over pay.  Besides, Gronk already said he'd take less money and both Brady and Evans said they'd restructure their deals.  I think they re-sign Barrett, David, and Suh - and let Fournette walk.  I think Tampa is fine with letting Brown walk if he doesn't take a team friendly deal.  JPP will be gone after the 2021 season.  I think Suh only signs a 2-year deal and get cut after 2021.  Barrett and David would likely get 5 and 4 year deals (respectively).

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Godwin is the easy choice because he's the only one who's tag number is below his market value.  Everyone else (that matters), David, Barrett, Suh, and Gronk, their tag numbers are higher than their market value.  It's better to pay guys accordingly and not over pay.  Besides, Gronk already said he'd take less money and both Brady and Evans said they'd restructure their deals.  I think they re-sign Barrett, David, and Suh - and let Fournette walk.  I think Tampa is fine with letting Brown walk if he doesn't take a team friendly deal.  JPP will be gone after the 2021 season.  I think Suh only signs a 2-year deal and get cut after 2021.  Barrett and David would likely get 5 and 4 year deals (respectively).

You think Fournette walks?  That could be I guess, but with the RB woahs they have had up until last season, not an easy call.

Let's be honest, he has his issues with consistency and other things, but when he's on his game, he's as good a RB as there is in the NFL

12 hours ago, polecatt said:

You think Fournette walks?  That could be I guess, but with the RB woahs they have had up until last season, not an easy call.

Let's be honest, he has his issues with consistency and other things, but when he's on his game, he's as good a RB as there is in the NFL

I hope he does.  There's no reason to keep him.  Jones averaged 5.1 ypc during the season.  In the playoffs, he missed the first game (COVID), but he averaged 4.77 and 5.08 ypc in two of the other 3.  In the game against GB, on the surface, you'll say he stunk, but 5 of his 10 carries were either at the goal line of in 3rd down short yardage runs where he got 3 first downs.  Fournette was more involved in the playoffs, but I'm thinking that's more to do with Jones' health than anything.  There were reports that Tampa was going to cut Fournette during the bye week... Arians (after the season), even confirmed it.

My guess is that Fournette will want a big contract.  Tampa doesn't need him.  They just invested a 3rd round pick in Vaughn (last draft), and dropping $4M (total), on say two guys like Peterson (as a backup) and James White (as a 3rd down back), will go much further for less money.

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I hope he does.  There's no reason to keep him.  Jones averaged 5.1 ypc during the season.  In the playoffs, he missed the first game (COVID), but he averaged 4.77 and 5.08 ypc in two of the other 3.  In the game against GB, on the surface, you'll say he stunk, but 5 of his 10 carries were either at the goal line of in 3rd down short yardage runs where he got 3 first downs.  Fournette was more involved in the playoffs, but I'm thinking that's more to do with Jones' health than anything.  There were reports that Tampa was going to cut Fournette during the bye week... Arians (after the season), even confirmed it.

My guess is that Fournette will want a big contract.  Tampa doesn't need him.  They just invested a 3rd round pick in Vaughn (last draft), and dropping $4M (total), on say two guys like Peterson (as a backup) and James White (as a 3rd down back), will go much further for less money.

I don't know, it all comes down to what he wants and how reasonable it is but I would want to try and keep him. Of course the team has a load of weapons, so it's not like he's completely irreplaceable, but I still think he gives the team a dimension that nobody else does. I don't think you will get it from Ronald Jones or a RB by committee.

13 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I don't know, it all comes down to what he wants and how reasonable it is but I would want to try and keep him. Of course the team has a load of weapons, so it's not like he's completely irreplaceable, but I still think he gives the team a dimension that nobody else does. I don't think you will get it from Ronald Jones or a RB by committee.

Agreed.  I just read that his market value was something like $7M.  No way should the Bucs pay him that.  Now, if he's willing to take half of that, then great... I just don't think he will.  Before he got cut by Jacksonville he was talking about big money and a long term contract.  I don't know why he'd all of a sudden he'd back off of that now that he has the leverage.