Big Guy

2021 NFL Draft Talk

Who do you like, want for your team?

My Cowboys have 10 picks, at least 7 should go to the defense, but I'd be ok snagging TE Kyle Pitts @ 1.10 

No chance they take Pitts. They got schultz and they just paid jarwin big $. 

Also, now we wont have to see mock drafts of the Pats taking him either.

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

They have Schultz & Jarwin....Jarwin has more potential and Schultz rose to the task last year for the 1st time.  I don't watch College Football, but I hear Pitts is a special talent and could be a real game changer. If he's there at 10 I won't be upset if the Cowboys snag him. 

I have no clue about the Pats comment

ok.....now that I just found out that we lost Dalton, I'm ok taking a QB if a good one falls to us.

2 hours ago, lod001 said:

Actually there's been plenty of cases where a team just loads up like crazy on one spot.  Then fans rant "why did they take x when they already have y at that position?" 

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

Actually there's been plenty of cases where a team just loads up like crazy on one spot.  Then fans rant "why did they take x when they already have y at that position?" 

And name one that made it to a Championship game............there are none. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

There is no formula to the draft. 

Personally, I would use a formula where I have to pick 2 OL / DL in the first 4 rounds every year.  You win in the trenches so you want to always have lots of new talent on the lines.   The other 2 picks can be whatever you want.   Of course you can trade up / down to acquire more picks in the first 4 rounds to do other stuff.  But 2 picks must be reserved for the lines.  I'm also taking the fastest guy in the draft every year if I can because speed kills in the NFL.  This year, that is WR Anthony Schwartz who is projected in round 4.

• Like 1

Just now, Cruzer said:

I don't know what you are trying to say.

Cheeto singed with the Bungles today.

Dallas hasn't a single DT worth shiit, is weak at LB and a half ass secondary........ Our 1st 3 picks better be defense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Personally, I would use a formula where I have to pick 2 OL / DL in the first 4 rounds every year.  You win in the trenches so you want to always have lots of new talent on the lines.   The other 2 picks can be whatever you want.   Of course you can trade up / down to acquire more picks in the first 4 rounds to do other stuff.  But 2 picks must be reserved for the lines.  I'm also taking the fastest guy in the draft every year if I can because speed kills in the NFL.  This year, that is WR Anthony Schwartz who is projected in round 4.

Crapshoot. All of it. 

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

I don't know what you are trying to say.

That strategy doesn't work. 

And yes I know you didn't say it did.

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

That strategy doesn't work. 

And yes I know you didn't say it did.

Well the obvious one where it worked was the Cowboys.  They drafted Aikman, then also burned a high pick on Steve Walsh.  They hoped one QB would pan out and it was Aikman so they got rid of Walsh.  Drafting Walsh cost the Cowboys their first round pick in 1990 which turned out to be the #1 overall pick that year.  They would likely have selected Cortez Kennedy.  I cannot imagine TEZ on those Cowboys teams OMG.

• Like 1

Just now, JustinCharge said:

Well the obvious one where it worked was the Cowboys.  They drafted Aikman, then also burned a high pick on Steve Walsh.  They hoped one QB would pan out and it was Aikman so they got rid of Walsh.

It did work out... Dallas was in the midst of a total shiit show needing a franchise QB. To get 2 in the 1st round was def a gamble. 

But that draft was golden. It was also the same draft Jimmy drafted Mark Stepknoski, Moose Johnston and Tony Tolbert.

Later Jimmy traded Walsh to NO for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd. picks. With the picks he took Erik Williams (possibly the most bad ass RT in the history of football), then dealt the other 2 picks to move up to #1 overall and took Russell Maryland. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Cheeto singed with the Bungles today.

Dallas hasn't a single DT worth shiit, is weak at LB and a half ass secondary........ Our 1st 3 picks better be defense. 

Now that we lost Joe Thomas we could use at least 3 LB's. We should also probably cut bait with LVE, the other 2 are worthless as well. Did ANY of them actually make a play last year?

Part of me wants the Bills to make the splashy pick and take Etienne, a home-run hitter in the backfield would make the offense damn near unstoppable. But they sorely could use an edge rusher. Maybe Oweh from Penn State.

14 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Exactly. I mean the cowboys FO is dumb but they had to see how stupid the Packers were last year wasting their #1 on a guy that was no help and will be no help, probably ever.

15 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

That’s true but TE isn’t one of those spots.

Supposedly the Panthers are locked in on making DeShaun Watson come to Carolina.  Watson wants out so there is leverage there, but the Texans are asking a Kings Ransom.

Teddy Bridgewater only has two years left on his contract so would be a great stop-gap until the Texans figure out that position and re-build.  

Surly Teddy, this year's first ( pick 8 )and next years first and second rounders could get it done.   No?

2 hours ago, lod001 said:

Exactly. I mean the cowboys FO is dumb but they had to see how stupid the Packers were last year wasting their #1 on a guy that was no help and will be no help, probably ever.

Imagine the Pack spending that first rounder on a player to help them win and getting past the Bucs and winning the super bowl.  Nah, draft a QB.  No wonder Rodgers is furious.

Tampa needs depth on the OLine and DLine.  Hopefully that's the position group they target if a viable option is there.

2 hours ago, MDC said:

The 1994 Jets had a good-looking young TE named Johnny Mitchell.  In the 1995 draft, they burned a first rounder on Kyle Brady.

If Trevor Lawrence has a career as long as Brady, he will still be playing in 2043.  Many of you will probably be dead before his career ends.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

If Trevor Lawrence has a career as long as Brady, he will still be playing in 2043.  Many of you will probably be dead before his career ends.

It's true. :dunno:   But he won't play that long.  And while I would love from him to succeed, the odds say he won't be the best QB drafted this year.  

9 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

The 1994 Jets had a good-looking young TE named Johnny Mitchell.  In the 1995 draft, they burned a first rounder on Kyle Brady.

Hernandez and Gronk

4 hours ago, MDC said:

Fock You & Your TE's!!!! 🤣

You guys are so obsessed with the Cowboys you drafted DALLAS Goddert in front of us just because Witten was done!

Ugh.....Ertz & Goddert can go fock themselves!!! 

"what you've just witnessed was the homer rant of the day, click and subscribe to BIG GUY" 🤣

34 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I’m not saying teams don’t ever take TEs if they already have a good one. It’s just a dumb strategy. 

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

It's a good thing that they did too (sort of).  Mitchell was going to be an FA at the end of the '95 season.  They let him walk.  He played in 4 games the following year and never played again.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's a good thing that they did too (sort of).  Mitchell was going to be an FA at the end of the '95 season.  They let him walk.  He played in 4 games the following year and never played again.

it was not a good thing, no.

on paper,  the chargers are a super bowl team.  they have the pass rush.  they have possibly the best enforcer safety in the NFL in Derwin James.  Justin Herbert is a rock star.  he's got weapons to throw to.  But it all underperforms or can't stay healthy.  They should draft some OL but, as I say, one of these years this team will stay healthy and play to its potential, go 15-1 and win the super bowl.

the chargers are the best drafting team in the NFL by a mile.  Players like Bosa, James, Herbert etc.  They just keep hitting grand slams every draft.  Eventually the talent will take over.

Maybe it was the coach.  Maybe the new coach is the answer, Brandon Staley, was the Rams' DC last year.

• Confused 1

I can't name a single team that, over the past 5 years, has drafted 3 guys the caliber of Herbert, Bosa, and James.  And not only that, those are arguably the three most important positions on a team.  James just can't stay healthy.  If he stays healthy this year, he transforms that defense.

Cards need help at CB, especially after losing Patrick Peterson to the Vikes today (which I’m happy about — he hasn’t been the same since he came off of the roids).

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

it was not a good thing, no.

That's 20/20 hindsight.  Just because Brady didn't pan out, it doesn't mean that the plan was wrong.  How do you know the Jets didn't talk to Mitchell about an extension and he wanted an insane number?  The Jets said, fine, we'll replace you and drafted a top prospect.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's 20/20 hindsight.  Just because Brady didn't pan out, it doesn't mean that the plan was wrong.  How do you know the Jets didn't talk to Mitchell about an extension and he wanted an insane number?  The Jets said, fine, we'll replace you and drafted a top prospect.

If that's the case, you don't spend a first rounder on a TE when Mitchell is still under contract for the upcoming season.  You've got a year to figure out a contract with him.

9 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

If that's the case, you don't spend a first rounder on a TE when Mitchell is still under contract for the upcoming season.  You've got a year to figure out a contract with him.

Would this be your argument if Kyle Brady posted numbers like Gates, Gonzalez, or Kelce?

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Would this be your argument if Kyle Brady posted numbers like Gates, Gonzalez, or Kelce?

Mitchell had a very productive year in 1994.  No-one was posting numbers like Gates, Gonzalez or Kelce.  You would think Mitchell might do it if anyone. Only Shannon Sharpe and Ben Coates had more yards as a TE than Mitchell.  Mitchell was already borderline elite at his position.

7 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Mitchell had a very productive year in 1994.  No-one was posting numbers like Gates, Gonzalez or Kelce.  You would think Mitchell might do it if anyone. Only Shannon Sharpe and Ben Coates had more yards as a TE than Mitchell.  Mitchell was already borderline elite at his position.

I'm not asking you about Mitchell, I was asking you about Brady.  If Brady posted elite TE numbers, would you still say that the Jets were wrong?  My point is, your argument is solely based on the results.  Which you didn't know until after the fact.  At the time, the Jets thought they were getting a better TE who was younger and cheaper.  Why pay Mitchell, $5M (just a random number), when you can pay Brady $2M and get better results?  Also, as I said earlier, you have no idea what went on with the Jets and Mitchell.  He might have said he didn't want to play football much longer.  He might have said that he doesn't want to play in NJ.  You're just calling the Jets wrong because Brady didn't yield the expect results.

Kelce was a 3rd rounder, Kittle a 5th and Andrews another 3rd rounder. 

You don't take TEs in the 1st, you can find them later.