Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Houston signs Tyrod Taylor for deal worth up to $12.5M

Well I guess it's something

I assume he only likely gets 12 mil if he starts and plays in a certain # of games.  it may be tied to certain incentives such as wins.

I'd be interested in knowing what the base salary is.

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I assume he only likely gets 12 mil if he starts and plays in a certain # of games.  it may be tied to certain incentives such as wins.

I'd be interested in knowing what the base salary is.

Looks like his base pay is $5.5M.

So if they trade Watson, he Taylor is going to be their starter? 

Please.  

58 minutes ago, weepaws said:

So if they trade Watson, he Taylor is going to be their starter? 

Please.  

Probably not.  My guess is that Taylor will only be the starter if the don't trade Watson and Watson refuses to play.  If the Texans trade Watson, it'll probably be to the Jets, Dolphins, or someone else in the top 10.  In the deal, they'll get a top 3 picks and/or a starting QB.  I'm thinking that the deals involving Watson will include both Darnold and #2 from the Jets, both Tua and #3 from the Dolphins, both Bridgewater and #8 from the Panthers, or both Lock and #9 from the Broncos.  In a deal with any of those 4 teams, Taylor would likely be penciled in as the backup and only start if one of those 4 and/or the QB they draft flops.

I can also see a scenario that after the draft, Taylor might get traded at some point before the season starts.  If the Texans trade Watson to Miami or NY, they might still take a QB and have both Tua or Darnold and a rookie... making Taylor expendable.

Taylor is already expendable 

I could be reading it wrong but I see Taylor as the Texans way of saying go ahead and don’t report deshaun. We’re tanking anyway, and we don’t have to pay you. Tyrod is the perfect QB to mind the fort without making it too embarrassing in the interim. Your move Mr. Watson 

Would agree, it’s a big message , we’re tanking. 

He would be an excellent back up QB and potentially a starter if it hits the fan with Watson and he's out.

With the allegations coming out now against Watson, I would say it's more likely than ever

If the Texans go into next seasons with Taylor as their starting Qb, they have indeed tanked.  

There's rumors Philly may be entering the Watson market. They have the 6th pick and could possibly offer Hurts as well. They have a bunch of picks in the top 85 so they seem to have some ammo to work a deal. Watson has a  no trade clause so even if Philly makes a.decent offer he may not want to go there. So, it's a tough situation for both Watson and the Texans to get an offer they both can live with. I think they will move him by draft time but we'll have to wait and see. The Watson saga continues.

I'm not so sure they want to go through the 2021 season with Taylor as their starter.

3 hours ago, DocNiner said:

There's rumors Philly may be entering the Watson market. They have the 6th pick and could possibly offer Hurts as well. They have a bunch of picks in the top 85 so they seem to have some ammo to work a deal. Watson has a  no trade clause so even if Philly makes a.decent offer he may not want to go there. So, it's a tough situation for both Watson and the Texans to get an offer they both can live with. I think they will move him by draft time but we'll have to wait and see. The Watson saga continues.

I'm not so sure they want to go through the 2021 season with Taylor as their starter.

Was listening to NFL Radio, last week I believe, and one of the hosts who was a former GM said that the starting price was two 1st's, two 2nd's, two 3rd's, a starting QB and possible another starter.  Well, if the Eagles wanted to get involved, they'd need to include their first 4 picks this year and a 1st and 2nd next year.  Then, they'd need to find a starting QB, because Hurts isn't one.  If the Eagles stand pat at #6, I think they're taking a QB.

4 hours ago, DocNiner said:

It wouldn't be the worst case scenario.

In his last meaningful action as a starting QB (with Buffalo from 2015 through 2017), Taylor completed 62.6% of his passes and achieved a 51:16 TD:INT ratio.  He also rushed for 1,575 yards and 16 TDs.

His last meaningful action was last season, he completed 53% and had a rush avg of 1. 

Then the rookie came in and showed how weak Taylor is as a starting Qb  

Texans would be tanking if he’s their starting Qb  

9 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Was listening to NFL Radio, last week I believe, and one of the hosts who was a former GM said that the starting price was two 1st's, two 2nd's, two 3rd's, a starting QB and possible another starter.  Well, if the Eagles wanted to get involved, they'd need to include their first 4 picks this year and a 1st and 2nd next year.  Then, they'd need to find a starting QB, because Hurts isn't one.  If the Eagles stand pat at #6, I think they're taking a QB.

At this point if the allegations about Desean are anywhere close to being true, his value is likely very close to zero.  I dont think any smart team makes an offer until the situation is sorted.

Tyrod is a nice insurance policy.  he is a running QB so I would imagine they wont need to change their offense a whole lot from what it is with Desean.  From this perspective it is a smart signing.  Yes, the team probably is hoping not to have him as their starter.  but isnt that the case with every backup in the NFL (with the exceptions of rookies)

They got one of the best Backup QB's in the NFL and he fits their offense.  what more do you want.  

the organization may be a dumpster fire, but i dont mind this move