Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Bears cut former All-Pro cornerback Kyle Fuller to clear $11 million in 2021 salary cap space, per report

Some team.is going to get a really good player. Maybe they are targeting some player to bring in.

The Chicago Bears did not need to release any prominent players to get under the 2021 salary cap ahead of free agency. But on Thursday, they decided to do it anyway, with NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reporting that the team has released former All-Pro cornerback Kyle Fuller. Just two years removed from his second Pro Bowl nod and three years removed from leading the NFL in interceptions, the 29-year-old veteran's release saves Chicago $11 million this offseason.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-cut-former-all-pro-cornerback-kyle-fuller-to-clear-11-million-in-2021-salary-cap-space-per-report/amp/

so my  question is. why?  is there someone with a big contract they want to bring in?

you dont just release players like this for no reason.

perhaps there are off field issues that have yet to come to light but something seems odd here.

Sounds like they are in cap hell as they reportedly are now giving Akeem Hicks permission to find a trade. Per Chicago tribune...

19 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Sounds like they are in cap hell as they reportedly are now giving Akeem Hicks permission to find a trade. Per Chicago tribune...

wasnt it originally quoted that they were under the cap?   I'm confused.  

There should be no sense of urgency unless they are bringing in someone with a huge salary that would put them over the cap.

am I missing something here?

12 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

wasnt it originally quoted that they were under the cap?   I'm confused.  

There should be no sense of urgency unless they are bringing in someone with a huge salary that would put them over the cap.

am I missing something here?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-kyle-fuller-released-20210318-pl7xbnf7djhmnku4kvnokfbrcq-story.html

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

so my  question is. why?  is there someone with a big contract they want to bring in?

you dont just release players like this for no reason.

perhaps there are off field issues that have yet to come to light but something seems odd here.

I'm betting since they were so constricted by the salary cap, they have theirs eyes on someone. Or maybe a couple guys.

They went hard after Russell and didn't connect, so maybe line help or something else. They aren't done yet.

10 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I'm betting since they were so constricted by the salary cap, they have theirs eyes on someone. Or maybe a couple guys.

They went hard after Russell and didn't connect, so maybe line help or something else. They aren't done yet.

I dont see how they are going to get a better deal on a player, or a better player in FA.

4 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I dont see how they are going to get a better deal on a player, or a better player in FA.

He was owed $20M I think for this coming year. The whole salary handling on the NFL teams I don't claim to understand fully. All I know is, these teams do things for a reason. And since the Bears, other than the QB position, have not been that bad, I'm guessing they are not being dumb here. 

But what do I know. :dunno: