Sign in to follow this  
makindollaz

Just did this trade in dynasty...

12 team PPR league, we keep 7.

Traded Kamara and the #12 pick for J. Taylor, Claypool & the #2 pick.

Feel good about it with Brees done.  Have a feeling Taylor will outperform Kamara straight up this year, and figure with Juju gone, Johnson & Claypool will be 1A & 1B in Pittsburgh.  Also should get a stud rookie with the #2.

Thoughts?

I think it’s a fantastic deal. 

That's a great deal, you traded an old RB1 for a young RB1, that's excellent, along with a good depth pick up at WR with some upside.

You moved up 10 spots in the draft. With that 2nd pick you should be able to get the top RB or WR, or Trevor Lawrence.

6 minutes ago, polecatt said:

You moved up 10 spots in the draft. With that 2nd pick you should be able to get the top RB or WR, or Trevor Lawrence.

A QB?  Maybe, if the Rams D/ST is unavailable...?

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

A QB?  What, were the Rams D/ST unavailable?

It's dynasty, Trevor Lawrence could potentially be a top 10 fantasy QB for 10-15 years

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

It's dynasty, Trevor Lawrence could potentially be a top 10 fantasy QB for 10-15 years

I'd guess even in a 1QB league. The absolute lowest he fall would be 1.8. And that's worst case scenario.

Which in fantasy value is roughly equivalent to being a top 10 fantasy D/ST for 10-15 years.

Have Herbert at QB, so probably won’t target Lawrence.  Depending on where they get drafted and who has the best situation, probably one of Chase, Smith, Pitts, Harris or Etienne.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Which in fantasy value is roughly equivalent to being a top 10 fantasy D/ST for 10-15 years.

It all depends on the league scoring system.

2 hours ago, Kopy said:

I'd guess even in a 1QB league. The absolute lowest he fall would be 1.8. And that's worst case scenario.

He may dip a little below that as a rookie, or maybe not, but pretty soon I expect he'll be top 5 most seasons

3 hours ago, makindollaz said:

Have Herbert at QB, so probably won’t target Lawrence.  Depending on where they get drafted and who has the best situation, probably one of Chase, Smith, Pitts, Harris or Etienne.

Wow and you have Herbert. 

You’ve done a very good job. 

It all depends on the league scoring system.

Not really, because the reason that QB is the new D/ST is independent of scoring.

In ANY scoring system, all QBs will be scored as QBs--which means that outside of the top 5 or so, QB6 through QB17 are functionally equivalent.  So regardless of the scoring system, you can grab about any QB in the draft, and if he doesn't turn out to be in the top half of the league, you can still grab a top 12 QB off the waiver wire later in September--or even stream them based on matchups (just like you can with D/STs).

And if "Dynasty" means that the league has enough roster slots to hoard all the QBs and prevent streaming, then the same argument probly applies to D/STs as well--so again, Trevor Lawrence should be afforded approximately the same value as a D/ST.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Wow and you have Herbert. 

You’ve done a very good job. 

Thx.  A little surprised/disappointed Juju re-signed with Pittsburgh, so may shop Claypool around now.  Might do the same with Jacobs since the Raiders signed Drake.  My other WR’s are Aiyuk & Anderson so may try to upgrade.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Not really, because the reason that QB is the new D/ST is independent of scoring.

In ANY scoring system, all QBs will be scored as QBs--which means that outside of the top 5 or so, QB6 through QB17 are functionally equivalent.  So regardless of the scoring system, you can grab about any QB in the draft, and if he doesn't turn out to be in the top half of the league, you can still grab a top 12 QB off the waiver wire later in September--or even stream them based on matchups (just like you can with D/STs).

And if "Dynasty" means that the league has enough roster slots to hoard all the QBs and prevent streaming, then the same argument probly applies to D/STs as well--so again, Trevor Lawrence should be afforded approximately the same value as a D/ST.

Not really because D/ST, there will be 2-3 kept overall at most. During the season most teams don't keep more than one. I have found that just scavenging the waiver wire for good match ups with D/ST is much easier than with QBs. D/STs never miss games due to injury either. You will be able to get the exact same defense in probably the 7th or 8th round as you would in the first. With Trevor Lawrence, if you don't pick him in the first, you're probably not gonna get a chance to pick him in the 2nd

As for Trevor Lawrence, if he's as good as they say he is, he will be a guy who is a top 5 QB most seasons. In my league, that's a player worth owning. The chance to have a player at QB in a dynasty league, that you can keep every season for a long time and each season they're as good a candidate as any to be a top 5 is one worth taking. It means you don't have to waste any draft picks or waiver wire picks on a QB for years.

25 minutes ago, makindollaz said:

My other WR’s are Aiyuk & Anderson so may try to upgrade.

From Week 6 onward last year, Aiyuk was among the top 10 WRs in average points per game in both standard and PPR scoring.  Kind of hard to upgrade from a WR1.

7 minutes ago, polecatt said:

With Trevor Lawrence, if you don't pick him in the first, you're probably not gonna get a chance to pick him in the 2nd

That would be the most favorable outcome--not drafting him at all.  You'd be better off drafting a known D/ST.

8 minutes ago, polecatt said:

As for Trevor Lawrence, if he's as good as they say he is, he will be a guy who is a top 5 QB most seasons.

The odds are really, really high that he won't be.  Don't waste a top draft pick on a QB, rookie OR veteran.  With a top pick, you want a player that can set your team apart, not just score 2 pts more per week than everyone else at his position.

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

From Week 6 onward last year, Aiyuk was among the top 10 WRs in average points per game in both standard and PPR scoring.  Kind of hard to upgrade from a WR1.

True.  It would probably take someone like Hopkins, Hill or Jefferson to move him, but I’m not closing the door to it.  

30 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That would be the most favorable outcome--not drafting him at all.  You'd be better off drafting a known D/ST.

The odds are really, really high that he won't be.  Don't waste a top draft pick on a QB, rookie OR veteran.  With a top pick, you want a player that can set your team apart, not just score 2 pts more per week than everyone else at his position.

I'm not saying I would draft him then, but some people would.

Last season my first pick was CeeDee Lamb, 3rd overall, I took Herbert a few rounds later and he ended up being my starter and keeper

1 hour ago, makindollaz said:

Thx.  A little surprised/disappointed Juju re-signed with Pittsburgh, so may shop Claypool around now.  Might do the same with Jacobs since the Raiders signed Drake.  My other WR’s are Aiyuk & Anderson so may try to upgrade.

Keep us informed. Plus the Colts did resign Mack. 

This QB class is getting hyped so much that I am hearing very little about the other skill positions. There are the occasional Pitts is the next Kittle stories, but still ...

I think Kamara is by far the best player in this trade.  With Mack coming back and Hines still there Taylor is looking like he is over rated at his current draft position.  

When you made the trade you made the assumption was that Ju Ju would be gone and that Claypool's value would be higher.  Claypool's value is a boom or bust flex IMO.

I would rather start Kamara for the next few seasons over Jonathan Taylor.  Claypool and the #2 rookie pick may or may not be in your weekly lineup.

21 hours ago, Smileseers said:

I think Kamara is by far the best player in this trade.  With Mack coming back and Hines still there Taylor is looking like he is over rated at his current draft position.  

When you made the trade you made the assumption was that Ju Ju would be gone and that Claypool's value would be higher.  Claypool's value is a boom or bust flex IMO.

I would rather start Kamara for the next few seasons over Jonathan Taylor.  Claypool and the #2 rookie pick may or may not be in your weekly lineup.

If Brees came back, I probably don’t make the deal.  Kamara’s receiving numbers were non-existent when Brees was injured.  I almost traded him during the season...glad I didn’t because I don’t win the league without his 6 TD game.  I just don’t think he comes anywhere close to last year.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, DrG said:

This QB class is getting hyped so much that I am hearing very little about the other skill positions. There are the occasional Pitts is the next Kittle stories, but still ...

Its early, but I actually think there is a good reason for that beyond the obvious no combine this year hype train void.

Outside of Superflex I'd rather be a seller of mid-late 1sts this year.

Looks like Brees missed eight games last two season. 

In those eight games , it looks like in non ppr Kamara avg 12 points per game, and ppr he avg 16 per game m

On 3/19/2021 at 3:30 PM, AxeElf said:

hes right.

unless your league is a 2 QB or superflex league drafting a QB in round 1 with the #2 overall pick only works out if he becomes the best QB of the generation.

even then, thats not likely to land you more than 2-3 points per game advantage over other top QB's.

tall order for a rookie QB even if he is considered the best in a good draft year for QBs.

I just dont think a 1 QB league makes it worth your while to do something like this regardless of rules.   That means 90+ % of the leagues out there should not be drafting Trevor Lawrence with a top pick.  only exception would be if you have a separate rookie draft.   in a case like that, a top rookie draft pick could be spent on a QB. 

That being said, that is not the situation here from the sound of it.  so no point dwelling on that point.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:30 PM, AxeElf said:

Add in the fact that this isn't a true dynasty where you keep the whole roster, and it should be very easy to find QB's.