Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

It's Never Too Early To Start Thinking About Kickers

Kicker of the longest FG in NFL history goes to the dome in the desert, where he should benefit from a better offense than he had in the Detroit dome.

I like it.

Prater is definiely a kicker to target.

Justin Tucker is too

I really start thinking about kickers when the bye weeks start, and owners start releasing their kickers to cover the bye week.

9 hours ago, jrokh said:

I really start thinking about kickers when the bye weeks start, and owners start releasing their kickers to cover the bye week.

Not if you have a really good kicker, owners won't release him. 

4 minutes ago, the spanker said:

Not if you have a really good kicker, owners won't release him. 

They do in my league. Owners don’t want to release a skill player to have to keep 2 kickers for a week. So really the opposite of what you posted...

I see kickers get released all the time, only worthy of the last draft pick  on anyones ff team. Only reason why I draft one cause I have to. 

League im now for the last 32 years, non ppr 14 teamer, we’ve been talking about going no kickers. I hope it happens but it hasn’t been received enough league votes to do so, maybe I should call trump to investigate. 

Always the second to last pick on any ff team, def

Thanks 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Always the second to last pick on any ff team, def

Well, not ALWAYS.  I did pick the Bears in the 2nd round of a $250 RTFFC league a couple of years ago (after picking Greg Zeurlein in the 1st round), but I was just showing off.

Mental break down I’ll say. 

One of my dynasty leagues awards 5 pts for +50 yds so this s—t actually matters.

18 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Well, not ALWAYS.  I did pick the Bears in the 2nd round of a $250 RTFFC league a couple of years ago (after picking Greg Zeurlein in the 1st round), but I was just showing off.

I've done that sort of thing too, I picked the Bucaneers defense with my 2nd round pick back when they had Warren Sapp, it was my first draft.

6 hours ago, DrG said:

One of my dynasty leagues awards 5 pts for +50 yds so this s—t actually matters.

That’s just ridiculous 

I have no problem taking a kicker earlier than most. My thought is why not take the starter that I think will have a good year over  6th Rb or Wr that I will most likely end up never starting or cutting?  Unless your one of those owners that hit on every pick and win their league every year.

1 hour ago, Super Cubs said:

I have no problem taking a kicker earlier than most. My thought is why not take the starter that I think will have a good year over  6th Rb or Wr that I will most likely end up never starting or cutting?  Unless your one of those owners that hit on every pick and win their league every year.

And do you hit on the right kicker every year? And aren’t all starting kickers , starters? 

And if your picking a kicker before taking a sixth rb or wr, then your not really picking one that early then. 

Thanks. 

If you think about it, if most people in your league pick kicker and defense in the last two rounds, you can pick your kicker and defense in the 3rd and 2nd to last rounds... Especially if your picking toward the back end of the 3rd to last round.  If your opponents are all picking kickers and defense, your target will almost assuredly be there in the last round.

I usually play in deep leagues so my last 5 rounds don't really matter.  I could pass on every round and usually get my sleepers at the end of the draft if I were so inclined.

But if you pass on everyone round, you’ll just end up with a bunch of late round sleeper picks.  

I wouldn’t recommend passing on everyone. 

14 hours ago, weepaws said:

And do you hit on the right kicker every year? And aren’t all starting kickers , starters? 

And if your picking a kicker before taking a sixth rb or wr, then your not really picking one that early then. 

Thanks. 

Do I get my kicker right all the time? No. Do I get it right more times than wrong? Yes. Are all kickers starters? Yes and I rather take the kicker I want over a scrub at different position that I will most likely never start or drop.  

The 6th rb or wr was more so a jab at the self proclaimed experts that  never make a wrong pick and win their league every year.  Once I have my starters and and every player on the board starts looking the same. I'm not scared to take a kicker.  That's usually a few rounds earlier than most in my league.

Instead of questioning my logic the correct response should have been "Do you have any openings in your league?".

On 3/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, jrokh said:

They do in my league. Owners don’t want to release a skill player to have to keep 2 kickers for a week. So really the opposite of what you posted...

in my leagues a lot of people will just do one week with no kicker if they  do not want to  waive  him to cover a bye

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

Do I get my kicker right all the time? No. Do I get it right more times than wrong? Yes. Are all kickers starters? Yes and I rather take the kicker I want over a scrub at different position that I will most likely never start or drop.  

The 6th rb or wr was more so a jab at the self proclaimed experts that  never make a wrong pick and win their league every year.  Once I have my starters and and every player on the board starts looking the same. I'm not scared to take a kicker.  That's usually a few rounds earlier than most in my league.

Instead of questioning my logic the correct response should have been "Do you have any openings in your league?".

No I rather question your logic. 

I don’t need to play In a extra ff league. 

14 team non ppr league is enough. 

Thanks. 

56 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

in my leagues a lot of people will just do one week with no kicker if they  do not want to  waive  him to cover a bye

That happens a lot. .

But not in my 14 team non ppr league, if you have an empty spot you lose, and pay the last place weekly payment. 

No empty spots.  

Like it. 

On 3/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, DrG said:

We do decimal yardage scoring. 30 yards is 3 pts. 45 yards is 4.5 pts. 53 yards would be 5.3 points. Ect. Ect.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, DrG said:

I'm in one where over 50 yds is 10 pts, and over 40 is 7 pts.  It's just like the TDs, big bonus for TDs over 40 and 50 yds.

So if you get a kicker that hits more than one 50 yarder in a game, you can get pretty big points. It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens.

I won't say it makes kickers a priority but it certainly makes it worthwhile to take one of the top ones

On 3/26/2021 at 8:28 PM, jrokh said:

You're speaking for your league, not all leagues.  In my league it's the opposite of what you posted. 

On 3/28/2021 at 3:27 PM, Ray_T said:

This is what happens in my league too.

17 hours ago, the spanker said:

My league has a rule where you can't do that, you must start an active player in each slot.

People have tried that, but we had a playoff spot supposedly decided one season because somebody left a spot empty and their opponent won the game by something like 2 pts.

18 hours ago, the spanker said:

You're speaking for your league, not all leagues.  In my league it's the opposite of what you posted. 

In my league they do, so in my league it’s the opposite of your league. 

21 hours ago, the spanker said:

Not a good ideal in my league, all starting slots must be filled, your you take a lost.  

Plus it cost you weekly list place money, my league does the opposite of your league. 

Thanks. 

If it’s the 14th round of a 16 round draft, it’s still too early to be thinking about kickers.

1 hour ago, makindollaz said:

If it’s the 14th round of a 16 round draft, it’s still too early to be thinking about kickers.

Don't come crying to me when you get stuck with Jake Elliott.

Jake Elliot was a great stream week 3 . 

Then stream gain week four. 

Kickers should be the last pick in every situation, until then it’s way to early to draft one  

Thanks. 

I drafted James Robinson in the second to last round last year... In May.  I promise you I could've gotten James Robinson off the waiver wire.  I could've taken a kicker there.

18 minutes ago, nobody said:

I drafted James Robinson in the second to last round last year... In May.  I promise you I could've gotten James Robinson off the waiver wire.  I could've taken a kicker there.

The best way to avoid living with regret is to learn from our mistakes so they never happen again.

28 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The best way to avoid living with regret is to learn from our mistakes so they never happen again.

or just drink  more  beer....

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

What was the mistake?

11 hours ago, nobody said:

What was the mistake?

You said you could have gotten a kicker in the penultimate round, and then gotten Robinson off the waiver wire.

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

You said you could have gotten a kicker in the penultimate round, and then gotten Robinson off the waiver wire.

Are you advocating that would've been the move to make or to not make it? 

My point was that I gave away kicker value by taking a guy I could've gotten later there.

19 hours ago, nobody said:

Any time a kicker is taken with ones last draft pick, it’s a smart move, and the right move. 

Its always to early to think about drafting a kicker before ones last pick. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Any time a kicker is taken with ones last draft pick, it’s a smart move, and the right move. 

Its always to early to think about drafting a kicker before ones last pick. 

I get that that's traditional thinking.  What I'm telling you is that's not optimal.  We're all here posting about FF kickers in April.  We are the people that should be thinking about optimal strategy.

21 hours ago, nobody said:

If you drafted Robinson how can you possibly know you could’ve gotten him off the wire? He was a starting RB, who had 16 carries and 90 total yards week 1. You would’ve had to have the first waiver claim or spent a ton of faab to get him?

He wasn't a starting running back in May.  No one even heard of him in May.  I just like watching YouTube videos of rookie runningbacks and thought he was pretty good so I picked him up in a very very very deep league.

The point was, I could be very sure I was the only person in the league at that time interested in James Robinson so I could've gotten a kicker there and circled back around for a James Robinson in the last round.  It might be 0.1% positive value to do something like that, but that's my point about us freaks talking about kickers in April.  We're the guys that are probably more sophisticated players, so we should be thinking about game theory optimal plays to squeeze out that 0.1%

For instance, if you know most people in your league are going to take a kicker in the last round and/or you have either a sleeper that's so in a coma that no one is going to draft him or you have a late pick in the penultimate round, you can get your preferred kicker in that round if you so chose. 

That's a sophisticated play that takes advantage of the conventional wisdom.