Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

It's Never Too Early To Start Thinking About Kickers

9 minutes ago, nobody said:

He wasn't a starting running back in May.  No one even heard of him in May.  I just like watching YouTube videos of rookie runningbacks and thought he was pretty good so I picked him up in a very very very deep league.

The point was, I could be very sure I was the only person in the league at that time interested in James Robinson so I could've gotten a kicker there and circled back around for a James Robinson in the last round.  It might be 0.1% positive value to do something like that, but that's my point about us freaks talking about kickers in April.  We're the guys that are probably more sophisticated players, so we should be thinking about game theory optimal plays to squeeze out that 0.1%

For instance, if you know most people in your league are going to take a kicker in the last round and/or you have either a sleeper that's so in a coma that no one is going to draft him or you have a late pick in the penultimate round, you can get your preferred kicker in that round if you so chose. 

That's a sophisticated play that takes advantage of the conventional wisdom.  

Ok so in may your league drafted Jason Sanders, yonghoe koo, and Rodrigo Blankenship, and they were all not on the wire? Very confusing what your point is...

58 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Ok so in may your league drafted Jason Sanders, yonghoe koo, and Rodrigo Blankenship, and they were all not on the wire? Very confusing what your point is...

Nevermind

3 hours ago, nobody said:

I get that that's traditional thinking.  What I'm telling you is that's not optimal.  We're all here posting about FF kickers in April.  We are the people that should be thinking about optimal strategy.

Most favorable is picking ones kicker with their last pick. 

Im not going to change the way that works to make it more desirable for someone else.  

The right move and best move is picking a kicker last.  

Three kickers scored the most points last season, and they scored a little over 2 points more per game then the two kickers that tied with the 14th most total points.  

I’ll pick my kicker last , and the next week  either keep him or drop him for a better matchup.  

Thats the best way.  

On 3/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, Ray_T said:

in my leagues a lot of people will just do one week with no kicker if they  do not want to  waive  him to cover a bye

I don’t think that’s a good idea for kickers, since they almost always score 5+ points. I’ll do that with defenses though if I have a start every week one on a bye, since I don’t usually have great luck streaming.

If I have a top 3 or so kicker, I will usually carry 2 kickers during his bye week.

I think the drafting a kicker in the second to last round thing makes sense, but I usually end up with guys in my leagues that take them 2 or 3 rounds before that, so by the time the second to last round comes, all the top ranked ones are gone.  So I usually just wait until the last round.

19 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I don’t think that’s a good idea for kickers, since they almost always score 5+ points. I’ll do that with defenses though if I have a start every week one on a bye, since I don’t usually have great luck streaming.

If I have a top 3 or so kicker, I will usually carry 2 kickers during his bye week.

I think the drafting a kicker in the second to last round thing makes sense, but I usually end up with guys in my leagues that take them 2 or 3 rounds before that, so by the time the second to last round comes, all the top ranked ones are gone.  So I usually just wait until the last round.

no doubt this falls into the  know  your league  category.  but  if  ppl are drafting that  early you may be just as  well suited to  waiting to  the  end.  once  the  top couple of  options go, there  is no  point in jumping in at the  end  of a run on kickers.

I like it when others draft kickers def and tes and qbs early. 

More rbs and WRs for me.  

I only need one of each of those top four. 

On 4/3/2021 at 3:45 PM, nobody said:

My point was that I gave away kicker value by taking a guy I could've gotten later there.

Right...  And it sounds like you've been living with the regret ever since.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Nothing can fill the hole left by regret over not taking (and losing out on) a kicker.

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I thought poker players would understand maximizing small edges.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:21 PM, Ray_T said:

or just drink  more  beer....

:lol:

That's how I end up with 2 kickers :doublethumbsup:

• Haha 1

I once won my league drafting a head coach in round one followed by the head cheer leader in round two, but this could be the wrong thread.

I too keep two kickers if I stumble upon drafting a K late or adding via waivers who is a top Kicker when his bye week happens.