Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Chris Carson Staying with the Seahawks

Good job for both parties. 

He puts up pretty good numbers in Seattle when healthy.

That's a good signing by both

Very happy about this. My only concern at the moment is. I'm not sure how they afford this deal? Someone either has to be traded, or restructured, In order to fit this in. I'm very happy, but at the same time puzzled. :dunno:

Good deal for Carson but kinda puts a damper on my idea of Penny being a sleeper this year. If they don't address the O-line it could everybody production wise. Wilson can't continue to run around in the backfield 100 yds. a game. Having Carson, Penny and DJ Dallas, if they can keep all 3, Seattle is probably gonna run the ball.a lot more this year. Will that hurt Wilson's numbers and possibly a top 5 ranking? I still think Metcalf will have a big year though.

10 hours ago, DocNiner said:

Seattle is probably gonna run the ball.a lot more this year.

Seattle has traditionally been a run-heavy offense anyway, ranking 1st in offensive run percentage in 2018 and 6th in 2019.  In fact, I believe only Ezekiel Elliott had more carries over the course of those two seasons than Chris Carson.

With the health issues they had in the backfield last year, they dropped to 19th, but a return to the top 10 would seem pretty likely for 2021--and Carson has traditionally been their bellcow.

6 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Seattle has traditionally been a run-heavy offense anyway, ranking 1st in offensive run percentage in 2018 and 6th in 2019.  In fact, I believe only Ezekiel Elliott had more carries over the course of those two seasons than Chris Carson.

With the health issues they had in the backfield last year, they dropped to 19th, but a return to the top 10 would seem pretty likely for 2021--and Carson has traditionally been their bellcow.

True Elf.When Carson is healthy and not missing games he more than capable to be the bellcow. IF he starts missing games I think Penny & Dallas can pick up the slack. They spent a high pick on Penny so they should figure out what they got with him and I think his carries will increase this year. I thought they might part ways with Carson thus giving Penny a chance to be the guy but looks like that's not the case now. Penny has had some injuries of his own and hopefully he'll get the chance to show what he can do. Maybe not this year but Seattle still needs to do something with the O-line to help the backs and Wilson from getting pounded. They have the talent to win the division but I'm hoping my 49ers have something to say about that. Seattle has been a thorn in the 9ers side for a number of years. Tough division.

Hard to figure out what they have with Penny when he’s missing so many games. 

Carson has missed 7 games the last theee seasons , Penny 21.  

Carson is their rb1.  

4 hours ago, DocNiner said:

IF he starts missing games I think Penny & Dallas can pick up the slack. They spent a high pick on Penny so they should figure out what they got with him and I think his carries will increase this year.

I don't have much of an opinion on Dallas yet (other than that he will largely be fantasy-irrelevant), but I doubt if Penny has much to show after three years that he hasn't shown up to this point--and what he's shown up to this point is that he's likely a career journeyman and role player--a scrub, by NFL standards.

True. Hadn't realized Penny's missed that many games. Shame, he does have talent but talents no good without availability.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

That's a lot of money for a non-stud RB.  He's a solid back... but not worth $8M AAV.

True.  but Seattle has already lost players in free agency.  perhaps there is a limit to the number of players they are willing to lose in one year so they decided to pony up.

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

True.  but Seattle has already lost players in free agency.  perhaps there is a limit to the number of players they are willing to lose in one year so they decided to pony up.

Hey, I'm not saying they didn't have their reasons, but it's signings like this that are causing other problems.  Wilson's claim is that the line needs to be improved.  Well, if you just spent $8M per year on a player who's worth half of that, then you're taking $4M away from upgrading the OLine.  Now, one incident like this isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but my guess is that this isn't an isolated incident.  According to Spotrac.com, the Seahawks are only $285k (yes, 285 thousand), under the cap.  If they've spent $180M on the team and the OLine still stinks, then this signing is just one of many where they're over paying more than one player and they're paying a lot of the wrong players.

13 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Hey, I'm not saying they didn't have their reasons, but it's signings like this that are causing other problems.  Wilson's claim is that the line needs to be improved.  Well, if you just spent $8M per year on a player who's worth half of that, then you're taking $4M away from upgrading the OLine.  Now, one incident like this isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but my guess is that this isn't an isolated incident.  According to Spotrac.com, the Seahawks are only $285k (yes, 285 thousand), under the cap.  If they've spent $180M on the team and the OLine still stinks, then this signing is just one of many where they're over paying more than one player and they're paying a lot of the wrong players.

agreed.  I wouldnt be surprised if there are more cap casualties.  perhaps a pending deal in the works for a player that will clear some cap room.

I have to think the draft will make some players potentially expendable.  and players on rookie contracts usually make the least.