Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Daily COVID-19 Cases on the Rise in 27 States

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210323/report-says-daily-covid-19-cases-on-rise-in-27-states

Despite a surge in vaccinations, more than half the states in the U.S. are reporting an increase in coronavirus cases, an analysis by CNBC says.

The news organization, basing its conclusions on data compiled by Johns Hopkins University, said the seven-day average of new cases rose by 5% or more in 27 states.

The daily average of new cases across the nation was 54,308, a rise of 1% from the week before, CNBC said.

Health experts say the rise may be attributed to two things: a loosening of safety restrictions and the emergence of coronavirus variants.

About 29.7 million cases of coronavirus have been reported in the U.S. since the pandemic began about a year ago and 540,000 coronavirus-related deaths have been reported.

But the death count is dropping in the United States, largely because 25% of the total population has at least one dose of a vaccine.

The CDC said the seven-day moving average for deaths was 1,057 on March 22, compared to 1,976 on Feb. 22. The seven-day moving average was 3,563 on Jan. 16.

Globally, however, the death count appears to be going up.

Masks really do the trick. let me tell you. We need MORE MASKS! 2 isn't even enough! :wacko:

Just now, posty said:

:mad:  :mad:  :mad:  BIDEN!!! :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  

You better be wearing a mask while typing this!

I call Fauci a liar all the time, but never once has he said the vaccine works. In fact, all of actions lean toward a conclusion that he thinks it doesn't.  Mea culpa, Fauci? :dunno:

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I call Fauci a liar all the time, but never once has he said the vaccine works. In fact, all of actions lean toward a conclusion that he thinks it doesn't.  Mea culpa, Fauci? :dunno:

It makes people sick when they get it.. So if by works, he means that. He's correct.

10 minutes ago, edjr said:

You better be wearing a mask while typing this!

Dammit

So, open borders, an increase in Covid cases, and two mass shootings, all in 2 months?  Can we have the bad orange man back?

• Thanks 3

Look up the Hope-Simpson curve. The virus is moving exactly along the same path, which calls for a leveling or slight increase in March, then a nose-dive in April. After that, it drops to nothing. It's the seasonality of respiratory viruses. All this was known, it's just being exploited for scare clicks.

8 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

Look up the Hope-Simpson curve. The virus is moving exactly along the same path, which calls for a leveling or slight increase in March, then a nose-dive in April. After that, it drops to nothing. It's the seasonality of respiratory viruses. All this was known, it's just being exploited for scare clicks.

Doh!

10 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

Look up the Hope-Simpson curve. The virus is moving exactly along the same path, which calls for a leveling or slight increase in March, then a nose-dive in April. After that, it drops to nothing. It's the seasonality of respiratory viruses. All this was known, it's just being exploited for scare clicks.

Hope Solo?

from what im seeing here in NJ....everyone is focking getting it right now. i know more people than ever that got it. i had it. went thru about 10 families i know like wild fire.

and the masks ain't doing sh;t. can we please stop this bs. the way this thing spreads is a focking scientific marvel!

11 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

I think Trump eluded to the same thing (It'll go away in the summer) but we never really saw the drop-off last year. Maybe because it was new?

It's Hope-Simpson, fellas. 

I suspect by mid April we'll see the declines start, then in May we're focking done.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I think Trump eluded to the same thing (It'll go away in the summer) but we never really saw the drop-off last year. Maybe because it was new?

Not following. We saw a huge drop off from the April peak last year. Then it went back up in the southern states in the Summer. 

25 minutes ago, edjr said:

It makes people sick when they get it.. So if by works, he means that. He's correct.

I got the first dose and it didn't make me sick at all. 

1 minute ago, KayJay1971 said:

I got the first dose and it didn't make me sick at all. 

if you need 2 doses to get the vaccine, and you have gotten 1, did you really get it yet?  I would say no.

38 minutes ago, edjr said:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210323/report-says-daily-covid-19-cases-on-rise-in-27-states

Masks really do the trick. let me tell you. We need MORE MASKS! 2 isn't even enough! :wacko:

Again I don't think masks make a significant impact, but you realize several states have been easing/removing mask mandates right?

Surprised you didn't go with the "vaccines are causing infections" line

4 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

from what im seeing here in NJ....everyone is focking getting it right now. i know more people than ever that got it. i had it. went thru about 10 families i know like wild fire.

and the masks ain't doing sh;t. can we please stop this bs. the way this thing spreads is a focking scientific marvel!

Up north?  Down in the south, I know like 3 people who've gotten it recently.  I see more and more people in my office every day.

Just now, TimHauck said:

Again I don't think masks make a significant impact, but you realize several states have been easing/removing mask mandates right?

Surprised you didn't go with the "vaccines are causing infections" line

27 of them? :lol:

8 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

It's Hope-Simpson, fellas. 

I suspect by mid April we'll see the declines start, then in May we're focking done.

could be!

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

if you need 2 doses to get the vaccine, and you have gotten 1, did you really get it yet?  I would say no.

I'll let you know how it plays out after April 10th. 

7 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

Not following. We saw a huge drop off from the April peak last year. Then it went back up in the southern states in the Summer. 

I guess it's subjective to where you live. Here in Michigan cases continued to rise while deaths decreased. Until deaths shot back up in October.

9 minutes ago, edjr said:

The lit says you're 50% protected.

2 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

That's the one or the J&J that people have been feeling the pain.

These journalists and anyone feeding them these article ideas are manipulatative.  These increases are not significant.  

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Up north?  Down in the south, I know like 3 people who've gotten it recently.  I see more and more people in my office every day.

no...south!!

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

That's the one or the J&J that people have been feeling the pain.

I got the Pfizer vaccine. Can't speak to the others. 

8 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

The lit says you're 50% protected.

my parents got it after the 1st shot.

ETA Pfizer

9 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

I will find out after I get my second shot on April 7...  I got the Pfizer vaccine, what one did you get lucky enough to get?  I have heard that the Moderna second shot has been making people sicker than the Pfizer one in most cases...

22 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

my parents got it after the 1st shot.

ETA Pfizer

I mean technically a person has a 5-7% chance of getting after both shots. Supposedly it takes 10 days to take full effect so yeah...:dunno: People are still going to get sick.

I guess it's subjective to where you live. Here in Michigan cases continued to rise while deaths decreased. Until deaths shot back up in October.

I live in Michigan. Cases did not continue to rise after April last year, our positivity rate nosedived to under 2%. Hospitalizations and deaths followed suit.

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

how many days?

i'd say around 10

problem now is no one really knows if they should get the second and when

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I mean technology a person has a 5-7% chance of getting after both shots. Supposedly it takes 10 days to take full effect so yeah...:dunno: People are still going to get sick.

we think it might have saved them though. both 80yo. they doing ok and are over 10 days

it's crazy because i started getting mad they weren't getting vaccinated and healthy 40yo i knew were. someone finally gave me a phone number that got them in there real quick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, posty said:

I will find out after I get my second shot on April 7...  I got the Pfizer vaccine, what one did you get lucky enough to get?  I have heard that the Moderna second shot has been making people sicker than the Pfizer one in most cases...

I got the Pfizer as well. Hurt like a MoFo but no complications afterwards. 

12 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

I live in Michigan. Cases did not continue to rise after April last year, our positivity rate nosedived to under 2%. Hospitalizations and deaths followed suit.

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html

This chart shows constant growth with a smal flattening in June and then continued increase starting in July. I have argued in this thread that when the governor mandated masks in June that increased cases. I have argued that masks don't really work and posted a CDC study that showed masks had at best a very small .5% decrease in spread however it encouraged people to take risker behavior. Which IMO we saw here in Michigan and increased cases.

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html

This chart shows constant growth with a smal flattening in June and then continued increase starting in July. I have argued in this thread that when the governor mandated masks in June that increased cases. I have argued that masks don't really work and posted a CDC study that showed masks had at best a very small .5% decrease in spread however it encouraged people to take risker behavior. Which IMO we saw here in Michigan and increased cases.

This is just taking me to the Michigan COVID dashboard. Are you looking at a cumulative chart or something? 

Just now, TK0001 said:

This is just taking me to the Michigan COVID dashboard. Are you looking at a cumulative chart or something? 

Yeah, I tried finding a month by month chart, but the cumulative shows a steady increase. Maybe you see something different?

36 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

no...south!!

Really?  I'm not seeing much of a change here in Cumberland/Camden counties.  There was obviously a spike around New Year's, but since then, it's been much like the fall.

Yeah, I tried finding a month by month chart, but the cumulative shows a steady increase. Maybe you see something different?

A cumulative chart will only show you an increase from one day to the next. For example, we had 450 cumulative cases yesterday (meaning from day one, 450 total cases). Today the cumulative total is 463. So the line would just go from 450 to 463. It can never go down, because it's just counting the entire bulk of all the cases, adding that day's new total to the pile (or deaths, or hospitalizations, etc).

They key is to look at the increases. We had only 13 new cases today, but three days ago we gained 85. So that's a much better pace. The best you can get is a flat line, when we get zero cases.

I have kept a running chart of Michigan's positive rate (daily tests/daily positives) since last June. We were essentially flat at about 2-3% daily until early December, when we launched up to just under 12%. Then right back down again. And now we're climbing again, to just under 10%.