Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, MMA, Boxing. What are you doing?

Most of you know I used to box back in the day. After getting married I stopped and switched to endurance sports. Recently I've had the itch to fight again. Since I've been watching MMA I noticed the BJJ practitioners always seem to win. So I joined a dojo. Tuesday I had my first Krav Maga class which was fun, and then the coach showed me some basic BJJ stuff.

Today I went to my first Gi BJJ class. Holy smokes it was a lot of fun. My neck is pretty sore, and I can see bruises already forming, but I loved it. I spent most of my time with a white belt and then at the end of class I worked with a 4 stripe blue belt. I asked him to come at me hard and pretend it wasn't my first day. I said I want to feel what it's really like. Focker kicked my ass.

I received a nice compliment from the blue belt who asked me how long I had been training. I looked at the clock and said, about an hour. He didn't believe me. I told him I had watched a lot of videos and read a book. So I wasn't coming in completely green just mostly worthless.

I was/am exhausted. I felt like I had to puke after class and the whole way home. 

Sissy slap fighting?

I am lifting 75 pound UPS' over my head. HURRRRRRRRR!  :flex:

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am lifting 75 pound UPS' over my head. HURRRRRRRRR!  :flex:

While wearing 2 masks!!!  :wub:

This thread is off to a good start <_<

I'm a 1st Dan black belt in Aikido.  I won't be going any further.  I know enough.

GF just got her 6th grade black belt before Christmas, in Jiu-Jitsu (she said something about needing 7 years to be a Coral belt), and 8th Dan black belt (Hachidan), in Karate.  I don't think she'll ever get past 7th for Jiu-Jitsu, but I think she plans on getting her 10th in Karate.

...and I can still kick her azz.  Seriously, she hits really freaking hard and she's very tough.  We don't spar much anymore, though.  She broke a few of my ribs over the years, but I flip her around so much that I wear her down.  I don't know any of the aggressive styles, so I can't really fight her so I just use my weight and her movement's against her.  She's built, obviously, but I'm still way bigger.  She's 5'-6" 135 lbs and I'm 5'-10" 190 lbs.  If we really did "fight" though, I think she'd win... but it would be close.  She doesn't mess around. 

• Haha 1

Right now? Nothing. Used to do Krav Maga which also turned into a little MMA but it’s been so long since I did it that I’d get my ass kicked by someone who’s doing it. Would love to try boxing out but not many boxing places where I live. Maybe when I move back to Charleston I can pick it up 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm a 1st Dan black belt in Aikido.  I won't be going any further.  I know enough.

GF just got her 6th grade black belt before Christmas, in Jiu-Jitsu (she said something about needing 7 years to be a Coral belt), and 8th Dan black belt (Hachidan), in Karate.  I don't think she'll ever get past 7th for Jiu-Jitsu, but I think she plans on getting her 10th in Karate.

...and I can still kick her azz.  Seriously, she hits really freaking hard and she's very tough.  We don't spar much anymore, though.  She broke a few of my ribs over the years, but I flip her around so much that I wear her down.  I don't know any of the aggressive styles, so I can't really fight her so I just use my weight and her movement's against her.  She's built, obviously, but I'm still way bigger.  She's 5'-6" 135 lbs and I'm 5'-10" 190 lbs.  If we really did "fight" though, I think she'd win... but it would be close.  She doesn't mess around. 

Would never be able to talk my wife into doing that. She didn’t even like me doing Krav Maga. Sporty girl but not when it comes to fighting lol 

• Haha 1

Ima 3rd degree black belt in gun-fu.  :ninja:

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Would never be able to talk my wife into doing that. She didn’t even like me doing Krav Maga. Sporty girl but not when it comes to fighting lol 

She was well into that long before I met her.  She was 5th grade in Jiu-Jitsu and Karate when I met her.  She started well in her youth.  She started Karate at age 8 and Jiu-Jitsu at age 12.  She started lifting at 17.  I didn't start Aikido until I was 25.  LOL

She's WAY more athletic and agile than I ever was or will be.  I was always in good shape because I always did manual labor and did tone & cardio stuff until I got my degree.  I wanted my son to be more active, so I signed both of us up for Aikido when he was 9 and I was 25.  He's a 5th Dan now... I think he's going to keep going.  But anyway, we both were trained before we even met.

Funny little story (to me anyway... her, not so much).  We first met when she came to my office looking for a 2nd opinion.  She had surgery on a herniated disc.  The surgeon told her the recovery time was about 3 to 4 weeks.  So after surgery, she went to the physical therapist and she told her 4 weeks is about right.  Well, she is not a patient woman, so she came to my office seeking a second opinion.  She met with our lead therapist who told her that she should wait 2 weeks before she even started PT and then another 4 to 6 weeks after, because of the amount of work she does.  Well, that didn't sit well with her, obviously, so she asked me.  I was only there 9 months when she came in.  I was working in concert with our lead therapist, so she looked at me and asked my opinion.  I looked at her chart, then her body, and I said asked why she didn't note that she did martial arts training.  She said she didn't think it was important because it was less strenuous that weight lifting.  She asked how I knew.  I told her that the bruises a injuries she had are consistent with ones that I got.  I told her that she should listen to my supervisor and rest 2 weeks before starting PT, then PT should be 4 weeks followed by 2 weeks of rest, then 4 more weeks of PT, to make sure her back is ready and healthy.  Well, that didn't go over well at all.  She went with the first PT's suggestion and came back 2 months later because she had a set back.  When she came back to us, she asked to work with me.  Well, 3 months later she was back doing her thing.  I got a call from her asking if I'd like to spar with her one day because she never worked with someone who did Aikido.  I agreed.  After putting her on her but 3 times in 2 minutes, she asked me out on a date (that's the part of the story she doesn't like 😀).  After our 3rd date, we went to the gym she worked out at.  She wanted to spar and she said she wouldn't take it easy on me this time.  I thought she was joking, but she wasn't.  After 3 rounds, I was really winded, but she wanted to keep going.  That was a bad idea, for me, as 30 seconds in, she got a kick in and cracked 2 of my ribs.  Our 3rd dated ended up with us in the emergency room.  That wouldn't be the last time one of us ended up there.  Usually it was me because, as I mentioned, I don't have any aggressive martial arts training, mine is all passive and defensive.  She gets in some punches and kicks and can really do some damage.  Since being with her, I've had 7 cracked ribs, 8 broken bones, a torn rotator cuff, and a broken hand (though, the hand came from sex, not fighting).  Anyway, that's another reason why we don't spar.  Either I end up in the emergency room or she ends up severely exhausted and bruised.  Her body is more important for her career than mine is, so for now, she can't take the beatings.  A couple times she did end up in the emergency room for dehydration and exhaustion because I'd flip her on her butt so much that she kept getting the wind knocked out of her and kept going.  This may come as a shock... but she can be stubborn.

Sorry, that wasn't as little as I'd thought.  All that just to say that she spent more time working out than I did. 

43 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

She was well into that long before I met her.  She was 5th grade in Jiu-Jitsu and Karate when I met her.  She started well in her youth.  She started Karate at age 8 and Jiu-Jitsu at age 12.  She started lifting at 17.  I didn't start Aikido until I was 25.  LOL

She's WAY more athletic and agile than I ever was or will be.  I was always in good shape because I always did manual labor and did tone & cardio stuff until I got my degree.  I wanted my son to be more active, so I signed both of us up for Aikido when he was 9 and I was 25.  He's a 5th Dan now... I think he's going to keep going.  But anyway, we both were trained before we even met.

Funny little story (to me anyway... her, not so much).  We first met when she came to my office looking for a 2nd opinion.  She had surgery on a herniated disc.  The surgeon told her the recovery time was about 3 to 4 weeks.  So after surgery, she went to the physical therapist and she told her 4 weeks is about right.  Well, she is not a patient woman, so she came to my office seeking a second opinion.  She met with our lead therapist who told her that she should wait 2 weeks before she even started PT and then another 4 to 6 weeks after, because of the amount of work she does.  Well, that didn't sit well with her, obviously, so she asked me.  I was only there 9 months when she came in.  I was working in concert with our lead therapist, so she looked at me and asked my opinion.  I looked at her chart, then her body, and I said asked why she didn't note that she did martial arts training.  She said she didn't think it was important because it was less strenuous that weight lifting.  She asked how I knew.  I told her that the bruises a injuries she had are consistent with ones that I got.  I told her that she should listen to my supervisor and rest 2 weeks before starting PT, then PT should be 4 weeks followed by 2 weeks of rest, then 4 more weeks of PT, to make sure her back is ready and healthy.  Well, that didn't go over well at all.  She went with the first PT's suggestion and came back 2 months later because she had a set back.  When she came back to us, she asked to work with me.  Well, 3 months later she was back doing her thing.  I got a call from her asking if I'd like to spar with her one day because she never worked with someone who did Aikido.  I agreed.  After putting her on her but 3 times in 2 minutes, she asked me out on a date (that's the part of the story she doesn't like 😀).  After our 3rd date, we went to the gym she worked out at.  She wanted to spar and she said she wouldn't take it easy on me this time.  I thought she was joking, but she wasn't.  After 3 rounds, I was really winded, but she wanted to keep going.  That was a bad idea, for me, as 30 seconds in, she got a kick in and cracked 2 of my ribs.  Our 3rd dated ended up with us in the emergency room.  That wouldn't be the last time one of us ended up there.  Usually it was me because, as I mentioned, I don't have any aggressive martial arts training, mine is all passive and defensive.  She gets in some punches and kicks and can really do some damage.  Since being with her, I've had 7 cracked ribs, 8 broken bones, a torn rotator cuff, and a broken hand (though, the hand came from sex, not fighting).  Anyway, that's another reason why we don't spar.  Either I end up in the emergency room or she ends up severely exhausted and bruised.  Her body is more important for her career than mine is, so for now, she can't take the beatings.  A couple times she did end up in the emergency room for dehydration and exhaustion because I'd flip her on her butt so much that she kept getting the wind knocked out of her and kept going.  This may come as a shock... but she can be stubborn.

Sorry, that wasn't as little as I'd thought.  All that just to say that she spent more time working out than I did. 

My wife did more track, basketball, and volleyball. Combat sports she would prob cry if she got hit. She’s the girliest sporty girl I know lol 

10 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

My wife did more track, basketball, and volleyball. Combat sports she would prob cry if she got hit. She’s the girliest sporty girl I know lol 

Your wife is definitely the norm for athletic girls, so she's not alone.  I know that a lot of the women that my gf competes against are like that too.  They're weight/fitness trainers, not battlers.  I think there's like only a handful of girls that my gf competes against that have had any kind of martial arts training.  A ton of them do ballet and dance for the aerobic, balance, and pliability training.  They're not girly girls, but they're not fighters.  They're just into a healthy and muscular body and definitely not into the physical stuff.  That's the main reason my gf only competes at the amateur level and not the professional level.  She's have to be really bulky to compete with them and that's more time then what she wants to spend.  She loves the martial arts stuff and wants to dedicate time to that too, not just lifting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Your wife is definitely the norm for athletic girls, so she's not alone.  I know that a lot of the women that my gf competes against are like that too.  They're weight/fitness trainers, not battlers.  I think there's like only a handful of girls that my gf competes against that have had any kind of martial arts training.  A ton of them do ballet and dance for the aerobic, balance, and pliability training.  They're not girly girls, but they're not fighters.  They're just into a healthy and muscular body and definitely not into the physical stuff.  That's the main reason my gf only competes at the amateur level and not the professional level.  She's have to be really bulky to compete with them and that's more time then what she wants to spend.  She loves the martial arts stuff and wants to dedicate time to that too, not just lifting.

I think it’s pretty cool that your girl competes. Most of the girls that I saw competing in San Antonio were very butch and ugly. So finding a cute one is rare like a unicorn lol 

2 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Same but my wife isn't sporty

As many here know I did taekwondo for a long time; our whole family did.  I retired years ago though, long before a hole in my throat perma-retired me — I got to a point where I broke a bone or tore cartilage every time I got back into it, so I figured Father Time was telling me it was time to back off.  My son also did BJJ for a while; I had always wanted to do it as I’m a good ground fighter having learned wrestling in PA as a kid, plus I understand body mechanics/leverage better than most people.  So when my son’s favorite instructor opened his own BJJ place next door to my CrossFit gym, I thought let’s do it$#@!  But... Covid hit.  Then cancer. 

Throughout my life I’ve dabbled in a bunch of martial arts, from judo to kenpo to ground fighting to jeet kune do (Bruce Lee’s style).  There is something to learn from all of them.  :cheers: 

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

As many here know I did taekwondo for a long time; our whole family did.  I retired years ago though, long before a hole in my throat perma-retired me — I got to a point where I broke a bone or tore cartilage every time I got back into it, so I figured Father Time was telling me it was time to back off.  My son also did BJJ for a while; I had always wanted to do it as I’m a good ground fighter having learned wrestling in PA as a kid, plus I understand body mechanics/leverage better than most people.  So when my son’s favorite instructor opened his own BJJ place next door to my CrossFit gym, I thought let’s do it$#@!  But... Covid hit.  Then cancer. 

Throughout my life I’ve dabbled in a bunch of martial arts, from judo to kenpo to ground fighting to jeet kune do (Bruce Lee’s style).  There is something to learn from all of them.  :cheers: 

Cousin is doing BJJ here in the city I live. He loves it and wishes he started it when he was younger (he’s in his late 20s now). When my wife and I have kids I’m going to introduce them to boxing at least. I fully believe one of the essential skills people should know is self defense. Too many people have no clue how to fight 

5 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Cousin is doing BJJ here in the city I live. He loves it and wishes he started it when he was younger (he’s in his late 20s now). When my wife and I have kids I’m going to introduce them to boxing at least. I fully believe one of the essential skills people should know is self defense. Too many people have no clue how to fight 

Yeah, my son wishes we had started him in BJJ much younger, since he has often competed against guys with serious wrestling backgrounds.  But, we did taekwondo which ended up being great for the entire family and, along with my fraternity, the source of my closest friends in life.  There is something bonding about sparring the snot out of each other, then grabbing a beer afterward.  :cheers: 

10 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Best time to plant a tree and all that.

8 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

our mom got a brazillian so im gonna do that.

Me and the boys appreciate it.

My neck is really sore today.

14 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I think it’s pretty cool that your girl competes. Most of the girls that I saw competing in San Antonio were very butch and ugly. So finding a cute one is rare like a unicorn lol 

Yeah, I think so too.  Once in a while I get to go with her, but not often... I still have to work.  LOL  She's kind of built like a "tweener" so to speak.  She's not as big as the hulk girls but bigger than the fitness girls, it's why she competes at the amateur level.  Sometimes the more muscular build works in her favor and sometimes they work against her.  Not having those big muscles in her neck and veins running up into her head is the big reason she still looks feminine.  :thumbsup:  She has no interest in getting that big.

My sons and I did karate for a couple of years but stopped when we got heavy into other sports.  Now my youngest is telling me he wants to get back into it.  I think he's been watching too much Cobra Kai.  

Anyway, I prefer karate or boxing.  Anything involving wrestling and/or rolling around on the ground is not my thing.  

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

My sons and I did karate for a couple of years but stopped when we got heavy into other sports.  Now my youngest is telling me he wants to get back into it.  I think he's been watching too much Cobra Kai.  

Anyway, I prefer karate or boxing.  Anything involving wrestling and/or rolling around on the ground is not my thing.  

I really would like to try boxing. Had a first sergeant in the AF who was a golden glove winner. Some E-3 was running his mouth to him (unbeknownst to him that he could box) so the first sergeant had him put on gloves and meet him in the ring. Kid was like 19-21 and the first shirt was in his 40s so the kid thought he was gonna just wail on him. Nah. The first shirt beat that kids ass. It was funny and beautiful to watch him get his ass handed to him. Ever since then, I’ve said when I had a kid I wanted them to take boxing lessons even if it’s just for self defense. But I would like to do something like that with my kid together. I think it would be fun and I’m jealous that you guys that already have kids right now have done stuff like that with your kids. 

• Confused 1

Earned my first stripe today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Earned my first stripe today.

Congrats!  Are you doing any tourneys?

Just now, jerryskids said:

Congrats!  Are you doing any tourneys?

Maybe, but I have zero plans for that. I don't have the finishes down to a level I think I can compete at. 

Right now I'm just trying to survive.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, Cdub100 said:

at the end of class I worked with a 4 stripe blue belt. I asked him to come at me hard and pretend it wasn't my first day. I said I want to feel what it's really like. Focker kicked my ass.

This guy (the blue belt) earned his purple belt two weeks ago. I didn't want to join a McDojo and after 3 months at this place, I know made the right choice. The blue belt in the above post (Will) has been training for 6 years and the dude is always there. He just now earned his purple belt.

If I continue to attend at this frequency I expect to be a white belt for 2 years. 

26 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

This guy (the blue belt) earned his purple belt two weeks ago. I didn't want to join a McDojo and after 3 months at this place, I know made the right choice. The blue belt in the above post (Will) has been training for 6 years and the dude is always there. He just now earned his purple belt.

If I continue to attend at this frequency I expect to be a white belt for 2 years. 

Yeah, my son’s school was about a 2 year expectation at white belt.  I’m not sure how long after he started until he did tourneys, but he did a lot of taekwondo tourneys so he wasn’t intimidated by them.  The hardest part is signing up and doing it, but you can certainly attend one or two before you do so to get the lay of the land.  :thumbsup: 

your mom

1 minute ago, edjr said:

your mom

Can you tell her she hasn't seen her grandchildren in 6 years?

16 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Can you tell her she hasn't seen her grandchildren in 6 years?

B1tch!

Today I owned the 3 stripes white belt. I could do whatever I wanted

I split with the blue belt, both getting the other to tap once.

I made the purple belt work very hard, but in the end, he tapped me every single time.

I'm slowly getting better.

I had another good day yesterday.

Today though... I was humbled. Got my @ss beat.

3 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I had another good day yesterday.

Today though... I was humbled. Got my @ss beat.

With what you've learned so far, how much more confident would you be if you had to throw down with some random dude on the street?  :bandana:

2 minutes ago, Mookz said:

With what you've learned so far, how much more confident would you be if you had to throw down with some random dude on the street?  :bandana:

I already had the boxing to be confident, but now yes I would destroy a random dude on the street assuming they had no training.

#internettoughguy