Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

49ers trade up for 3rd pick in draft

Surprised to see that before draft day. There's always a (admittedly, very small) chance something happens to one of the QBs between now and then that knocks them out of consideration.

Now that they have a top 10 WR and a top 5 TE, I guess it's time to upgrade at QB.

37 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You both spelled "there" wrong.

He already used "they're" correctly, so he must know the difference between there, their, and they're; hence, he must have been going for "theirs."

I knew they would trade up but they could have  got the pick with giving up 1 first rounder instead of 2 but Lynch & Shanny didn't check with me, LOL.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, AxeElf said:

He already used "they're" correctly, so he must know the difference between there, their, and they're; hence, he must have been going for "theirs."

Is there something that you are reading into that? Something related to the topic I mean? Just curious.

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Is there something that you are reading into that? Something related to the topic I mean? Just curious.

No, it's just the offseason.  Nothing to do but split hairs and pick nits.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, DocNiner said:

I knew they would trade up but they could have  got the pick with giving up 1 first rounder instead of 2 but Lynch & Shanny didn't check with me, LOL.

I think it's gonna be Trey Lance.

I like that pick. I think he has a lot of upside. He will probably have a few growing pains next season, but I think he'll adjust into the NFL pretty well.

He kind of reminds me of Dak Prescott.

15 hours ago, polecatt said:

I think it's gonna be Trey Lance.

I like that pick. I think he has a lot of upside. He will probably have a few growing pains next season, but I think he'll adjust into the NFL pretty well.

He kind of reminds me of Dak Prescott.

No chance they play Lance next year if they plan to and draft him. No way he is ready to start in the NFL. They sit him under Garoppolo?

8 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

No chance they play Lance next year if they plan to and draft him. No way he is ready to start in the NFL. They sit him under Garoppolo?

Yeah, probably so, but I think they'll still trade Jimmy if they can

26 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Yeah, probably so, but I think they'll still trade Jimmy if they can

or they  commit to starting Jimmy G for this season.   Tell him if he performs well enough, he keeps the job. 

41 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

or they  commit to starting Jimmy G for this season.   Tell him if he performs well enough, he keeps the job. 

They may commit to him for next season but there's not way they trade up to draft a QB 3rd and not play him after that.

Maybe if Jimmy were to play lights out, like a top 5 QB, and the rookie was looking like a bit of a disappointment.

They wouldn't know that for some time though

On 3/29/2021 at 9:18 PM, polecatt said:

They may commit to him for next season but there's not way they trade up to draft a QB 3rd and not play him after that.

Maybe if Jimmy were to play lights out, like a top 5 QB, and the rookie was looking like a bit of a disappointment.

They wouldn't know that for some time though

You are probably right.   The chargers drafted Rivers, and Brees played extremely well, and still lost his job to Rivers.

This was, perhaps,  the chargers biggest mistake of all time.

Then again, Alex Smith played lights out in KC and still lost his job to Mahomes.   Given what Mahomes has done since, I guess that turned out to be a great move.

Either way, The writing is probably on the wall.  

I was never a big fan of Jimmy G.

I do think if hes your QB, it is too early to give up on him.

Matt Stafford was injury prone early in his career and turned into a fine QB despite the crappy organization around him.

That being said....you dont trade up to top 3 in any draft considered deep at QB and not target a QB, so this is likely it.  

I do think they give Jimmy the whole year as starter unless he gets hurt or plays poorly.   I guess we shall see.

it sounds like the team is concerned about him remaining healthy. (or at least... that is the excuse they are using to go down this road)

then again, they get to see the guy every single day.  They (hopefully) have a better idea of what he can do than we all do.

Found this out yesterday. John Lynch and Shanahan were standing right next to Nick Saban during Jones' pro day and never asked him one question about the QB. Yet when they were at Justin Fields pro day both Lynch and Shanahan  were frequently in the ear of Fields QB coach inquiring about the rookie prospect. Finding this out makes me think that Jones might not be the pick at #3. Maybe the 49ers are thinking this through more thoroughly and think Fields would actually be the better option for them. I just don't think Jones is the guy.

Or maybe they where just simply hiding their feelings about Jones. 

To hide fact that they have already made up their mind and that they didn’t want others to know.  

And maybe they don’t have any clip boards to cover their mouths when they did speak to the bama coach , maybe they left their mask in the car? 

?

23 minutes ago, DocNiner said:

Found this out yesterday. John Lynch and Shanahan were standing right next to Nick Saban during Jones' pro day and never asked him one question about the QB. Yet when they were at Justin Fields pro day both Lynch and Shanahan  were frequently in the ear of Fields QB coach inquiring about the rookie prospect. Finding this out makes me think that Jones might not be the pick at #3. Maybe the 49ers are thinking this through more thoroughly and think Fields would actually be the better option for them. I just don't think Jones is the guy.

Kind of sounds like you are projecting your own feelings and what you want to happen into this situation. 49ers could select either one, who knows. but don't think what you posted means anything, one way or the other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrokh said:

Kind of sounds like you are projecting your own feelings and what you want to happen into this situation. 49ers could select either one, who knows. but don't think what you posted means anything, one way or the other.

Yes I am kinda projecting my feelings as to what I'd like to see happen and yes the fact that they didn't ask questions about Jones and did about Fields doesn't mean anything. I just thought it curious that's all. Probably had enough info on Jones that they didn't need to ask questions but needed more info on Fields. Anyway I have said that I don't particularly like that they may take Jones as my feelings are that they'd be better off with Fields OR Lance. I'm not the only one who feels that way. So, if they take Jones that's fine. They know who they want more than me but in any case whoever they draft I feel certain they will end up being better than Garoppolo. If the team can stay relatively healthy this year I feel we have a good shot at making the playoffs with whoever under center.

4 hours ago, DocNiner said:

I would generally think the Jones stuff was a smokescreen, but what’s the point? Are they worried somebody would somehow snake Fields? Even then, okay, you’ve got one of the consensus two-best QB options (Lawrence or Wilson) as a consolation prize :dunno:

57 minutes ago, DocNiner said:

Yes I am kinda projecting my feelings as to what I'd like to see happen and yes the fact that they didn't ask questions about Jones and did about Fields doesn't mean anything. I just thought it curious that's all. Probably had enough info on Jones that they didn't need to ask questions but needed more info on Fields. Anyway I have said that I don't particularly like that they may take Jones as my feelings are that they'd be better off with Fields OR Lance. I'm not the only one who feels that way. So, if they take Jones that's fine. They know who they want more than me but in any case whoever they draft I feel certain they will end up being better than Garoppolo. If the team can stay relatively healthy this year I feel we have a good shot at making the playoffs with whoever under center.

I hear you, and I have been guilty of the same thing, at least internally. I usually wound up pissed on draft night. Now I approach it much more objectively, saved a lot of heartache. Good luck!

3 hours ago, DocNiner said:

I wouldn’t lose any sleep about this issue. 

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

I hear you, and I have been guilty of the same thing, at least internally. I usually wound up pissed on draft night. Now I approach it much more objectively, saved a lot of heartache. Good luck!

Lol. 

The other thing I find strange is the Jets allegedly reporting SF offered them a 1st for Sam D. First - don’t kiss and tell. Second, why admit you got less than you could have.

Word is now, that it's gonna be Justin Fields not Mac Jones.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

I've though it's gonna be Trey Lance all along

44 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Word is now, that it's gonna be Justin Fields not Mac Jones.

What word, from who? The betting odds shifted to Fields after his second pro day, but no credible reporter has said anyone but Mac Jones to this point...

They’re happy with their spot there at 3 with one of the top WBs theirs for the taking.

On 4/16/2021 at 6:47 PM, jrokh said:

What word, from who? The betting odds shifted to Fields after his second pro day, but no credible reporter has said anyone but Mac Jones to this point...

That's what the videos popping up on my Youtube page have been saying from ESPN, Fox Sports, and other places. I don't know, I'm guessing they saw a tweet or heard a blurb from somewhere that made them lean that way and jumped on it.

My guess it, they don't really know, and nobody really does other than maybe a few people in the 49ers front office and coaching staff

6 minutes ago, polecatt said:

That's what the videos popping up on my Youtube page have been saying from ESPN, Fox Sports, and other places. I don't know, I'm guessing they saw a tweet or heard a blurb from somewhere that made them lean that way and jumped on it.

My guess it, they don't really know, and nobody really does other than maybe a few people in the 49ers front office and coaching staff

Videos on you tube? Sounds like Alex Jones stuff. Seriously, that's why I only pay attention to what credible reporters actually report concerning the draft. The rest of it is just noise...

• Like 1

It’s all just noise, best thing to do, is wait until after the draft than it won’t be noise anymore. 

On 4/16/2021 at 6:47 PM, jrokh said:

Jeremy Fowler saying they’re undecided

More noise 

54 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Jeremy Fowler saying they’re undecided

I’ll believe that when me turd turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet...

giving a signal that  they are moving from one QB to another may be trying to entice some teams to make a deal.

I think if they want mac Jones, they can trade down a spot in the draft.   possibly two or more even.

if someone is going to trade up, the most likely trade up is at 4 at this point.  by flip flopping perhaps they have already been in touch with Atlanta.  maybe a 3 way deal is being worked.  they trade the third pick to team x. on condition that they select player y.  Team x sends a draft pick to both Atlanta and San Fran and moves up to 3 for player y.   San fran moves down to 4 and Atlanta moves down to (whatever number)

I suspect this is the way it will go down (if it happens)   They basically guarantee they get their player and possibly get an asset in return for moving down a spot.

its possible I'm out to lunch, but if they can move down to 4 and still get their guy and can get an extra draft pick back, why wouldnt they do this?   The talk of taking a different QB is just to encourage trade talks.

it is also possible they value both QB's equally and just want the option to take who they want.

all I am saying is that there is no guarantee San Fran is done trading at this point.  not yet.

its also possible that people talking trade with Atlanta were thinking about taking Lance and maybe this forces a potential suitor to involve them with any possible trade talk and possibly make a deal. (ie. no point moving up if San Fran takes your guy)

I think the 49ers know exactly who they're picking... if they keep the pick.  I still wouldn't be surprised if someone like Denver wants to pay more for #3 than what the 49ers paid, and fork it over to get a QB.  I don't think the Niners totally gave up on Jimmy G yet.  I think his availability is their biggest concern.  He only has 2 years left on his deal and they could cut him at anytime with virtually no consequence if they really didn't want him.  To note, they still could do that now.  I think I heard that the cap hit was around $3M if they cut him today.

If the Niners still haven't made up their mind yet on who they're taking (assuming they do draft there), I'd be utterly shocked.  Now, I firmly believe that everyone in "the know" is floating out all kinds of info just to keep people on their toes... especially possible suitors for the pick if they choose to trade back down.

Maybe they aren't done trading. It's not the #1 pick but could it being something like the wheeling and dealing Kevin Costner did in Draft Day? Just using that for comparison.  It could be feasible they move down a bit and still get the guy they want. Other teams needing or wanting a particular guy could make a deal with them to move into #3 and they can pick up some extra pick or picks. Just have to continue to speculate until the draft gets and we'll actually see who the niners take.

I think SF knows who they’re taking. Not everyone shows up to each QBs pro day but interesting that the Patriots have.

Are they  trying to gauge how serious SF is about 1 more year of Jimmy G vs how ready these qbs look? It would affect trade negotiations if Bill B wants Jimmy G back

Heard more noise. Jason Smith of Foxsportsradio believes that QB Aaron Rodgers will be traded to the 49ers. He's saying that the situation in Green Bay with Rodgers is volatile  and that Rodgers is saying he wants out onf GB. He wants traded to the 49ers or he'll sit out the season. While it's true things in GB are not very good I still don't see the 49ers giving up the #3 pick for a guy with maybe 5 yrs. left in the tank. There does seem to be growing interest in this possible trade. I think if we got Rodgers he could help.us win a superbowl. Dude just won another MVP. Since they gave up their 1st rounders.in 22 & 23 they'd have to hope Rodgers can get them through it. I guess this trade would be OK but don't think it will happen.