Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

49ers trade up for 3rd pick in draft

3 hours ago, DocNiner said:

Heard more noise. Jason Smith of Foxsportsradio believes that QB Aaron Rodgers will be traded to the 49ers. He's saying that the situation in Green Bay with Rodgers is volatile  and that Rodgers is saying he wants out onf GB. He wants traded to the 49ers or he'll sit out the season. While it's true things in GB are not very good I still don't see the 49ers giving up the #3 pick for a guy with maybe 5 yrs. left in the tank. There does seem to be growing interest in this possible trade. I think if we got Rodgers he could help.us win a superbowl. Dude just won another MVP. Since they gave up their 1st rounders.in 22 & 23 they'd have to hope Rodgers can get them through it. I guess this trade would be OK but don't think it will happen.

I don't know.  Green Bay is up against the cap as it is with Rodgers' contract.  To take that hit and NOT have him would suck.  They drafted their QB last year, so they wouldn't need to take a QB at #3, so I could see them trading back if they traded Rodgers and take the opportunity to build around the new kid.  Either that, or they trade Love but that seems like a recipe for disaster if they take that route though.

Also not sure why he'd want to be traded to SF.  Well, I guess I could.  Goes back to CA and relatively close to home, but from what I hear, he's not really on great terms with his family, so why would going back home be so important?  Woodley I guess?  If I were him, I'd much rather go to Washington.  I think they're closer to a SB than the 49ers are.  Heck, DC is closer to NYC that SF is to LA.  Can't imagine NYC being a career issue for Woodley.

For arguments sake, let's say he does want to go to SF and Niners want him.  They don't have the capital in my opinion, after moving up to #3.  They have pick #3, but no second.  They also have no first round pick in 2022 or 2023.  If I'm GB, I don't care if I want to get rid of Rodgers or not, #3 and #102 isn't enough.  Even a 2nd the next two years wouldn't be enough.  He's an MVP player that is an instant difference maker.  I'd want at least 3 first round picks and I don't want to wait until 2024 and 2025 to get those other 2 picks.  Of course, players would be ok too.  I'd take #3, Bosa, and Aiyuk and call it good.  Can't imagine the 49ers wanting to do that though.

I think the trade rumors are just noise.  I just don't see it happening.  Which of course means, it'll probably happen later today.

On 4/19/2021 at 7:13 AM, DocNiner said:

Maybe they aren't done trading. It's not the #1 pick but could it being something like the wheeling and dealing Kevin Costner did in Draft Day? Just using that for comparison.  It could be feasible they move down a bit and still get the guy they want. Other teams needing or wanting a particular guy could make a deal with them to move into #3 and they can pick up some extra pick or picks. Just have to continue to speculate until the draft gets and we'll actually see who the niners take.

its definitely possible they have not finished trading.  otherwise why all the cloak & dagger with who they are taking.   they are trying to shake other suitors out.   its possible they are just kicking tires to see if someone comes up and offers them a lot more than they paid.

maybe he has to ask for David freakin putney cuz he feels like it.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

Also not sure why he'd want to be traded to SF.

For arguments sake, let's say he does want to go to SF and Niners want him.  They don't have the capital in my opinion, after moving up to #3.  They have pick #3, but no second.  They also have no first round pick in 2022 or 2023.  If I'm GB, I don't care if I want to get rid of Rodgers or not, #3 and #102 isn't enough.  Even a 2nd the next two years wouldn't be enough.  He's an MVP player that is an instant difference maker.  I'd want at least 3 first round picks and I don't want to wait until 2024 and 2025 to get those other 2 picks.  Of course, players would be ok too.  I'd take #3, Bosa, and Aiyuk and call it good.  Can't imagine the 49ers wanting to do that though.

I think the trade rumors are just noise.  I just don't see it happening.  Which of course means, it'll probably happen later today.

I've cut out some of your original post.  I'll answer what I can.

I think he would want to go to San Fran because they have a deep roster and he could possibly win another superbowl if he goes there.  That being said, I'm not sure he actually wants out.  This is the first I have heard of this.  Not saying its not possible.  I heard he was a bit choked at having a first round pick as a QB with him still on the roster.  but that settled down fairly quickly so I figured that was the end of it.

I also think that the #3 overall in a deep QB draft is likely worth at least 2 and possibly 3 first round picks.  and maybe Green Bay already has a buyer for the pick if they dont take it themselves.   Keep in mind, they have had a year to evaluate Love.  if they no longer love him (pardon the pun) maybe they trade him to get another draft pick they can use to shore up the roster elsewhere and use the #3 pick to get another QB.  its also possible they keep Love and have one hell of a training camp battle for the right to start.

If they are asking for more than the #3 overall pick I dont imagine it will be much more.  maybe the rights to Garoppolo?  that could be another trade piece to sell off and San Fran would likely be happy to give him up to get Rodgers. (I'd throw him in to make a deal like THAT)

either way, Im not sure there is substance to the rumor, but if Rodgers actually wants out, this is (potentially) a good way to make it happen for Green Bay in a way that saves some face.

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I've cut out some of your original post.  I'll answer what I can.

I think he would want to go to San Fran because they have a deep roster and he could possibly win another superbowl if he goes there.  That being said, I'm not sure he actually wants out.  This is the first I have heard of this.  Not saying its not possible.  I heard he was a bit choked at having a first round pick as a QB with him still on the roster.  but that settled down fairly quickly so I figured that was the end of it.

I also think that the #3 overall in a deep QB draft is likely worth at least 2 and possibly 3 first round picks.  and maybe Green Bay already has a buyer for the pick if they dont take it themselves.   Keep in mind, they have had a year to evaluate Love.  if they no longer love him (pardon the pun) maybe they trade him to get another draft pick they can use to shore up the roster elsewhere and use the #3 pick to get another QB.  its also possible they keep Love and have one hell of a training camp battle for the right to start.

If they are asking for more than the #3 overall pick I dont imagine it will be much more.  maybe the rights to Garoppolo?  that could be another trade piece to sell off and San Fran would likely be happy to give him up to get Rodgers. (I'd throw him in to make a deal like THAT)

either way, Im not sure there is substance to the rumor, but if Rodgers actually wants out, this is (potentially) a good way to make it happen for Green Bay in a way that saves some face.

Yeah, the 49ers better than what I think they are.  Bosa only played in 2 games and Kittle missed 8.  Had they and Garoppolo been healthy, they most likely would have made the playoffs.  Garoppolo is made of glass, that's apparent to me and I'd understand wanting to move on from him.

You could be right on the value of the #3, but I see the values of picks to be congruent with other picks.  Meaning, the #3 pick is worth pick #12, #24, and #35 (just an example), but I think there's a different value of picks as they relate to proven assets.  For example, when I was listening to NFL Radio (before the allegations against Watson came out), Bill Polian was on and was asked what it would take to trade for Deshaun Watson.  He said, "just to get me to not hang up on you, you have to be prepared to give me two #1's, two #2's, and two #3's... and you better be willing to add a couple of players too."  He said that was the "starting point" of the conversation.  Keep in mind, the two teams that were being talked about at the time was the Jets and Dolphins, who had the #2 and #3 picks.  Now, I know Watson is 13 years younger than Rodgers, but as I listed in my post above, I've already accounted for that.  I said, Rodgers is at least worth 3 first round picks... I didn't say he was worth 6 top 3 round picks, plus other players.  Let's say that the 49ers had pick #3 and #35 (as if they were the third worst team last year and didn't make any trades), if I were the Packers, I'd take those two plus next years' 1st and 3rd round picks.  To me, that's a reduced cost (for age), between Rodgers and Watson.  The 49ers don't have that though.  They have no 2nd round pick nor a first next year.  The Packers would have to wait until 2023 and 2024 to get first round picks.

Like I said above, if I'm the Packers and I see what the 49ers have in connection to draft picks, the conversation doesn't even start until #3 AND Bosa are on the table.  I know Bosa is a great prospect, but let's keep in mind, he's only played 2 seasons... and in the most recent one, he only played 2 games.

Uh Bosa is more than a prospect.  49ers are not going to trade their best players for the next Jeopardy host.

9 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Bill Polian was on and was asked what it would take to trade for Deshaun Watson.  He said, "just to get me to not hang up on you, you have to be prepared to give me two #1's, two #2's, and two #3's... and you better be willing to add a couple of players too."  He said that was the "starting point" of the conversation.  Keep in mind, the two teams that were being talked about at the time was the Jets and Dolphins, who had the #2 and #3 picks.  Now, I know Watson is 13 years younger than Rodgers, but as I listed in my post above, I've already accounted for that.  I said, Rodgers is at least worth 3 first round picks... I didn't say he was worth 6 top 3 round picks, plus other players.  Let's say that the 49ers had pick #3 and #35 (as if they were the third worst team last year and didn't make any trades), if I were the Packers, I'd take those two plus next years' 1st and 3rd round picks.  To me, that's a reduced cost (for age), between Rodgers and Watson.  The 49ers don't have that though.  They have no 2nd round pick nor a first next year.  The Packers would have to wait until 2023 and 2024 to get first round picks.

Like I said above, if I'm the Packers and I see what the 49ers have in connection to draft picks, the conversation doesn't even start until #3 AND Bosa are on the table.  I know Bosa is a great prospect, but let's keep in mind, he's only played 2 seasons... and in the most recent one, he only played 2 games.

fair enough. 

I agree that for a healthy Deshaun Watson with no baggage that asking price is likely close.

With the Watson baggage as noted I am not sure I would make an offer as a GM that isnt insulting.   Because there is the possibility this blows up and gets worse still.  you have to ask if there is more being covered up?

either way, we are not talking his value we are talking Rodgers.

The problem with paying that kind of a price is that Rodgers may only have 3 years left in the tank.   its possible he plays longer but I'd say at this point 3 years is the max Id expect in this sort of deal.

If you think this puts you over the top to win a superbowl, you likely pay as close to the asking price in draft picks.  you dont pay with roster players if you can help it.

you subtract value for age, risk of injury/retirement but you add for potential to win a superbowl.

I think the top 3 pick Plus a player or draft pick is likely close.  If San Fran can send Garoppolo the other way to save some salary, perhaps they are willing to do things differently.  alternatively, maybe they have a buyer for Garoppolo already and can flip that draft pick into the deal.

but I think San Fran will want to avoid moving Bosa at all costs.  That may be enough to close the superbowl window.

either way, I still think this isnt likely to happen.   But never say never.

I agree with a lot said about Rodgers. I think they would definitely have to move Garoppolo  in order for a possible Rodgers trade along with the #3 pick. Maybe a mid to late round  pick this year or next. If he were to go to the 49ers I'd say they would stand a decent chance of winning a superbowl within the next 3 years. After that their chances I would think would diminish depending on what Rodgers has left in the tank. While a Rodgers trade does sound enticing I honestly don't think it will happen. I think they stand pat with the #3 pick and take their franchise QB of the future who will be........wait for it....... NOT Mac Jones but......... QB Justin Fields. I don't think the recent news of Fields having epilepsy will scare off Lynch & Shanahan from taking him.

I hope they take a kicker first. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

what kind of GM takes a kicker in the first round?????  oh wait... thats been done.  never mind.

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

They are. They watched Fields kicking some fields'(pun intended, haha) goals when his 2nd proday was over.

I don't know if this is true, but it is being reported by multiple sources. If true, surprised GB turned it down...

27 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I don't know if this is true, but it is being reported by multiple sources. If true, surprised GB turned it down...

Sounds a lot like 2015 when there were rumors about the Eagles trading 6 players and 4 draft picks to Tampa for the #1 pick to take Mariota.  My guess is the players that are being referred to are the same type of players that the Eagles offered.  Mid-level players with 1 high paid year left on their deal.  I think the Eagles were offering pick #20 and like a couple of 3rd and 4th round picks.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

That would be stupid as hell. Rodgers ain’t getting any younger 

28 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

That would be stupid as hell. Rodgers ain’t getting any younger 

Remember when a lot of people said the Bucs where stupid for picking up that old Qb that played so many seasons with the Pats last season? 

Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Remember when a lot of people said the Bucs where stupid for picking up that old Qb that played so many seasons with the Pats last season? 

Thanks. 

In free agency? While giving up nothing?

Oof. You’ve embarrassed yourself here :( 

Just now, IGotWorms said:

I can understand it from the San Fran perspective.  When you see that they're giving up players, it's back end/high price guys who have little impact on the 53-man roster.  It's guys who can get replaced after the draft.  Their objective is quantity over quality.  If they're giving up quality players, it makes no sense to trade for Rodgers because you won't be as good.  They don't have the draft capital to trade for Rodgers, that's why the players.  They don't care how old he is, they know that their roster has a 3-year window (maybe only 2), so trading away depth for a current return is something that they're willing to do.  Which works out because Rodgers only has 3 years left on his deal.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Not at all, the reason is still the same,  to win s super bowl. 

Would be a very good and smart move for the Niners, they have the opportunity to win it with Rodgers.

Not a stupid move as you posted before, give up a little to gain a lot.  Only one that’s embarrassed is your invoice # 54733. 

Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Not at all, the reason is still the same,  to win s super bowl. 

Would be a very good and smart move for the Niners, they have the opportunity to win it with Rodgers.

Not a stupid move as you posted before, give up a little to gain a lot.  Only one that’s embarrassed is your invoice # 54733. 

Thanks. 

The Bucs gave up nothing for Brady. They were able to keep all of their talent and add a bunch more.

Conversely, this (likely BS) report has San Fran giving up a host of assets for Rodgers including the #3 overall pick.

The two situations are not comparable in the least.

51 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

The Bucs gave up nothing for Brady. They were able to keep all of their talent and add a bunch more.

Conversely, this (likely BS) report has San Fran giving up a host of assets for Rodgers including the #3 overall pick.

The two situations are not comparable in the least.

Same situation, two teams that want to win a super Bowl now. No guarantee how that 3rd pick will turn out, they gain a HOF Qb that can take their team to a super bowl this next season, same reason the Bucs picked up old man Brady , to win now. 

Same. 

Thanks.