Sign in to follow this  
BeenHereBefore

Getting Chinese Food Tonight

6 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Haven't had a slice of pizza in well over 20 years.

Shoot yourself in the haid and bury yourself next to the hookers in your basement.  :(

2 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I know how you feel. Ima sweet-n-sour cat guy myself. It's just always been my go to. 

I dated a girl in high school whose mom made a phenomenal tomato beef chow mein. I haven't found one that compares since. :(

Cat?  

Not that I'm opposed...

5 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Cat?  

Not that I'm opposed...

I just assumed. Never saw any strays around.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I just assumed. Never saw any strays around.  :dunno:

Nothin wrong with munching puzzy. 

4 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Shoot yourself in the haid and bury yourself next to the hookers in your basement.  :(

"Basement, what basement? I have no idea what you are talking about, Mr Officer?" said the suspect, as he stood on top of the rug concealing the trap door leading to the basement.

Neighbors were interviewed that night, consistently saying "He was such a nice guy. I can't imagine he killed over a thousand women. I guess he shouldn't have been off his leash and allowed to run into a sorority"

The next night, same neighborhood. "It was such a nice dog. I can't imagine it killed a thousand children. I guess it shouldn't have been off a leash and allowed to run into a PreK Head Start."

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Nothin wrong with munching puzzy. 

Much like the Chinese, I prefer to eat that while it's still alive. 

22 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

And more importantly, how am I supposed to bury myself AFTER shooting myself in the head? :doh:

Details, it's all in the details. That's why inferior criminals get caught, and then get put on TV, being arrested in reality shows.

But I appreciate the encouragement. :banana: I missed the banana.

9 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Pb- can use honey for sugar

I think you are right, honey is better than sugar, but I don't think it's the answer. It's still no bueno for me. I'm in the mud with insulin.

Admittedly, I walk a fine line. A bunch of white rum with diet soda chasers. So food is very strict as the price to pay. I don't even eat fruit unless it's mostly bitter (lemon, lime, grapefruit). Stick to green vegetables full of fiber mostly, avoid the starchy corn and potatoes et al. I'd say peas, but I like fresh snow peas.

I wonder if I could do some kind of take on a green curry chicken dish with Diet Mountain Dew? Put me on Food Network RIGHT NOW!! Guy's Grocery Games with Goons.

I didn't mean to derail this thread. Chinese food can be tasty. But, damn, so much sugar.

• Like 1

I was diagnosed a few years ago with diabetes 2, so I keep an eye on my sugars/carbs also. Love asian food.  Ordering out I either pass on certain dishes or eat them in moderation. Cooking at home gives me more control. My spirit of choice is dark rum... do not drink it often though 

34 minutes ago, phillybear said:

And more importantly, how am I supposed to bury myself AFTER shooting myself in the head? :doh:

Exactly.  :doh:

:banana:

Had a Hot Pot for the 1st in Chinatown in Boston about a month ago.  Its like Chinese Pho.  There is a hot plate on the table, you pick a broth, and meat which comes raw sliced thin, and a bunch of veg, udon or ramen noodles.  Drop the veg in the broth let it cook for a bit, noodles, and then the meat.  beef for like 30 seconds, chx for about 3 minutes.  It was very good.

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I was diagnosed a few years ago with diabetes 2, so I keep an eye on my sugars/carbs also. Love asian food.  Ordering out I either pass on certain dishes or eat them in moderation. Cooking at home gives me more control. My spirit of choice is dark rum... do not drink it often though 

Bummer. I got the bad news 2005, and I'm still kicking around, so look at it as an adjustment. Hey, you are a prolific chef around these parts, so I'm sure you are paying attention to the food details. The rum...don't admit too much to the doctor.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, phillybear said:

So, diabetes. So I haven't had fast food nor sugar for close to 20 years now. Well, as little sugar as possible. Haven't had a slice of pizza in well over 20 years. I can't remember what a cheese steak tastes like. I'm self-flagellating myself.

Chinese food is a challenge to prepare for me, as I like all the heat with the spicy peppers and garlic and savory items, and all the textures and flavors of the vegetables and other odds and ends, but you can't balance it out with any sugar in any sauces, so it remains difficult to pull out a decent dish. And try to avoid any type of noodles and rice. It's become somewhat cliche, but Sriracha is really versatile. But if I could find a dependable recipe for Hot and Sour Soup, I'd be a little bit less miserable. 

Refresh my memory, you are like Type 1 but not?  Maybe Type 1.5?  Regardless, I appreciate your commitment to low sugar (my teenage daughter not so much but she’ll figure it out).  But presuming you take insulin, why deprive yourself so much?  :dunno: 

31 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Pb- can use honey for sugar

IIRC honey has a higher glycemic index than sugar.  So more glucose than sugar.  I’d need to look it up, but that is my memory from back in my beer brewing days.  

8 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Exactly.  :doh:

:banana:

Don't make me end you. I will put in a blender your brain, Chinese 5 spice, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and of course scallions. Yum. Braaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnns....aaaaghgghghgh....

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Refresh my memory, you are like Type 1 but not?  Maybe Type 1.5?  Regardless, I appreciate your commitment to low sugar (my teenage daughter not so much but she’ll figure it out).  But presuming you take insulin, why deprive yourself so much?  :dunno: 

IIRC honey has a higher glycemic index than sugar.  So more glucose than sugar.  I’d need to look it up, but that is my memory from back in my beer brewing days.  

While I do not remember the specifics now, when I was diagnosed i researched a bit and the doctor also suggested it as a better sub

12 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Don't make me end you. I will put in a blender your brain, Chinese 5 spice, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and of course scallions. Yum. Braaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnns....aaaaghgghghgh....

:wub:

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm about a 1.5, but me and the doctor don't talk about it much anymore. My big problem is the triglycerides are a bit too high, but since I drink it makes sense. Most of the rest of my blood work is fine. I choose to drink and eat very strictly.

It's a drag, working from home every day for 14 hours, 7 days a week, holidays, now I have a barking dog upstairs, non stop construction outside, with chainsaws and lawnmowers, the city was jackhammering my street at 7:01 AM this Thursday and for the next 7 hours, and the job itself is extremely tedious and boring. I'll plan my day around what marathon I want to watch on basic cable around mostly police procedurals, survivalist shows, or South Park/Community/Scrubs, so that when my reports are running, there is something to distract me. Plus troll people on reddit. I drink, and do it again the next day.

But diabetes is a legit accommodation to keep me working from home, so, Cheers!!! to being sick...I guess?

I hope you are hanging in there with your sh!t.

29 minutes ago, phillybear said:

I'm about a 1.5, but me and the doctor don't talk about it much anymore. My big problem is the triglycerides are a bit too high, but since I drink it makes sense. Most of the rest of my blood work is fine. I choose to drink and eat very strictly.

It's a drag, working from home every day for 14 hours, 7 days a week, holidays, now I have a barking dog upstairs, non stop construction outside, with chainsaws and lawnmowers, the city was jackhammering my street at 7:01 AM this Thursday and for the next 7 hours, and the job itself is extremely tedious and boring. I'll plan my day around what marathon I want to watch on basic cable around mostly police procedurals, survivalist shows, or South Park/Community/Scrubs, so that when my reports are running, there is something to distract me. Plus troll people on reddit. I drink, and do it again the next day.

But diabetes is a legit accommodation to keep me working from home, so, Cheers!!! to being sick...I guess?

I hope you are hanging in there with your sh!t.

Hanging in, thanks.  I mentioned in another thread I’ve got my PET scan Monday, that will set the tone for the near future.  My company is growing and my boss/co-founder likes me and knows I’ve forgotten more about tech sales than his other salespeople ever knew, but selling stuff when you can barely communicate is a “challenge worthy of me,” as a former boss/friend liked to say.  Plus we hired a new grand poobah of sales who doesn’t have a history with me, so he may wish I would just disappear.  A lot of moving pieces; in the next few weeks I could be building my own team to sell a new product, or... I dunno, looking at chemo and immunotherapy options to stave off death.  :dunno: 

Oh and to keep with the thread theme, I love dim sum.  :cheers: 

46 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

While I do not remember the specifics now, when I was diagnosed i researched a bit and the doctor also suggested it as a better sub

Was Hanks the place you sent my wife and me when we ate in Sonoma County?  If so that was quite yummy.  :cheers: 

I think it was the girl and the fig.  Still one of my favorites

51 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I think it was the girl and the fig.  Still one of my favorites

Ah yes, thanks.  For some reason “Hank’s” seemed familiar.  And the description on the website as well.  Still yummy.  :cheers: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herbivore said:

Had a Hot Pot for the 1st in Chinatown in Boston about a month ago.  Its like Chinese Pho.  There is a hot plate on the table, you pick a broth, and meat which comes raw sliced thin, and a bunch of veg, udon or ramen noodles.  Drop the veg in the broth let it cook for a bit, noodles, and then the meat.  beef for like 30 seconds, chx for about 3 minutes.  It was very good.

Do they have Korean BBQ places in the states? I've never seen one in Memphis. I think it would do well.

Had it yesterday. Basically there is a hole in the table, and they put a bucket of hot coals in there, and a grill over it. Bring out a bunch of thinly sliced meat and you grill at the table. Loads of kimchi (the only edible cabbage dish on earth) and spicy rice cakes, some stone pot rice, dumplings...

Damn good. 

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Do they have Korean BBQ places in the states? I've never seen one in Memphis. I think it would do well.

Had it yesterday. Basically there is a hole in the table, and they put a bucket of hot coals in there, and a grill over it. Bring out a bunch of thinly sliced meat and you grill at the table. Loads of kimchi (the only edible cabbage dish on earth) and spicy rice cakes, some stone pot rice, dumplings...

Damn good. 

Yes

6 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Damn good. 

I have never seen one, but bier says so

sounds good

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

I have never seen one, but bier says so

sounds good

Yeah, I was thinking yesterday that such a concept would do well back home.

I'd imagine it exists in places with a koreatown, but certainly isn't very widespread. 

25 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah, I was thinking yesterday that such a concept would do well back home.

I'd imagine it exists in places with a koreatown, but certainly isn't very widespread. 

I would agree.  They have been around for a while, but there are not many 

On 3/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Bier Meister said:

We are about to head to the mountains for a family vacation.. daughter will be seeing boyfriend tonight so mrs and i might hit...

tomorrow night...

River Ranch

I'll have the double cut elk chops please.  

there definitely should be more of these.  its a different dining experience.  you can find benihana around.  hot pot might be a big city thing only.  maybe korean bbq is too much liability in the states.

49 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

@BeenHereBefore, so was it good?

This is what I've been wondering all weekend and need closure.  

2 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

I'll have the double cut elk chops please.  

We are up with another family. Shared the elk and the duck. Both good. I preferred the duck, she preferred the elk.

So far two dinners up here. Food has been fine, but service issue at both places.

10 hours ago, Mookz said:

Wasn't bad an usually what I get there for years. Their black pepper chicken is pretty tasty as well.

11 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

@BeenHereBefore, so was it good?

11 hours ago, Mookz said:

You guys do realize that he didn’t go to some 5 star restaurant; it’s the local joint with $6.99 dinners and $4.99 lunches, and the meat is all the same consistency. :dunno: 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jerryskids said:

You guys do realize that he didn’t go to some 5 star restaurant; it’s the local joint with $6.99 dinners and $4.99 lunches, and the meat is all the same consistency. :dunno: 

Yeah, alley cat.  :(