Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

17 Game Regular Season

so does the season start earlier or end later?

I guess the nfl isn’t that concern about players safety. More money  

For ff sakes, I like it, one extra week to have fun. 

This will open the door to more 15-team leagues, where every team plays every other team once, and they still get a 3-week playoff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

This will open the door to more 15-team leagues, where every team plays every other team once, and they still get a 3-week playoff.

I guess that's one way of looking at it

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

I don't think it's nearly the concern it was a few years ago.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they have the same number of things like concussions, and not to the same severity either.

You can't hit the QB any more. There's so many rules about how to tackle, personal fouls, etc. they've pretty much taken out hard hits.  Don't get me wrong, there's still some good pops, but nothing like it was.

Still, and extra game, more chance for injury. That's probably how they plan to off set some of the loss from the less physical play.

33 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I don't think it's nearly the concern it was a few years ago.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they have the same number of things like concussions, and not to the same severity either.

You can't hit the QB any more. There's so many rules about how to tackle, personal fouls, etc. they've pretty much taken out hard hits.  Don't get me wrong, there's still some good pops, but nothing like it was.

Still, and extra game, more chance for injury. That's probably how they plan to off set some of the loss from the less physical play.

And yet some wonder why I’ve stopped watching or listening to the games. 

20 hours ago, weepaws said:

It will expand rosters and give more jobs to players that don't make the league. If you are that worried about the player's safety, then maybe champion a movement to ban sporting events.

38 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

It will expand rosters and give more jobs to players that don't make the league. If you are that worried about the player's safety, then maybe champion a movement to ban sporting events.

Didn’t mention myself unicorn, I said the nfl, lets try to stay updated. More jobs to players that wouldn’t be playing, just watering down the game even more, good point   

Da. 

Nfl now showing they care even less about safety, that was a concern not long ago, now I see they will play three preseason games. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Didn’t mention myself unicorn, I said the nfl, lets try to stay updated. More jobs to players that wouldn’t be playing, just watering down the game even more, good point   

Da. 

What? How does this make the NFL not concerned about player safety?

45 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

What? How does this make the NFL not concerned about player safety?

How doesn’t it ? 

DA 

10 minutes ago, weepaws said:

How doesn’t it ? 

DA 

So that's what you think right? So this is all your opinion. 

What's "DA"?

15 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

So that's what you think right? So this is all your opinion. 

What's "DA"?

So we agree. 

Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

So we agree. 

Thanks. 

Yeah. We agree it's your opinion. Yet you say this: "Didn’t mention myself unicorn, I said the nfl, lets try to stay updated. "

Not sure why you are calling me "unicorn". I'm straight, so, not interested in you. 

Stay on topic.

57 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. We agree it's your opinion. Yet you say this: "Didn’t mention myself unicorn, I said the nfl, lets try to stay updated. "

Not sure why you are calling me "unicorn". I'm straight, so, not interested in you. 

Stay on topic.

Sure it’s my opinion, that’s what this forum is about unicorn. 

I think the nfl is full of hypocrisy, they say they care about the health of their players, they have watered down the game so much, and made it so simplest that even you can follow along.  

But they now had an extra game, they don’t care about the players , it’s all about money.  Now go back into your hole. 

And you post how they now will add more players to even water it down even more , that’s even worst. 

And that’s also my opinion. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Sure it’s my opinion, that’s what this forum is about unicorn. 

I think the nfl is full of hypocrisy, they say they care about the health of their players, they have watered down the game so much, and made it so simplest that even you can follow along.  

But they now had an extra game, they don’t care about the players , it’s all about money.  Now go back into your hole. 

And you post how they now will add more players to even water it down even more , that’s even worst. 

And that’s also my opinion. 

Thanks 

If you are that worried about the player's safety, then maybe champion a movement to ban sporting events

55 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

If you are that worried about the player's safety, then maybe champion a movement to ban sporting events

So that’s what you think, that’s your opinion?m

Thanks n

On 3/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, Ray_T said:

so does the season start earlier or end later?

My guess is the season ends later. There's no way the NFL would want to open the season during Labor Day weekend. 

Season is going to end later, with the Super Bowl moving back later into February. 

To me this stinks. We have a 10 team league with a perfect schedule that was manually drafted 20 years ago 🤯 where we play the four division opponents twice, once in the first third of the year and the second time in the last third while we play the five out of division teams in the middle third for 13 regular season games. Now we have to figure out something new with the odd number of games. The immediate thing that popped into my head was messing with the bye weeks in the fantasy playoffs or moving to a two week championship cumulative total like some leagues already do. What are your thoughts on how to deal with this extra week of NFL games? 🤔

3 hours ago, Fearsome said:

To me this stinks. We have a 10 team league with a perfect schedule that was manually drafted 20 years ago 🤯 where we play the four division opponents twice, once in the first third of the year and the second time in the last third while we play the five out of division teams in the middle third for 13 regular season games. Now we have to figure out something new with the odd number of games. The immediate thing that popped into my head was messing with the bye weeks in the fantasy playoffs or moving to a two week championship cumulative total like some leagues already do. What are your thoughts on how to deal with this extra week of NFL games? 🤔

If you already have the "perfect" schedule, why make any changes.  For ff-purposes ignore the last two weeks instead of the just the last one.  Alternatively start your ff season in week 2 (since week one can sometimes be fluky anyways). 

2 hours ago, Showboat said:

If you already have the "perfect" schedule, why make any changes.  For ff-purposes ignore the last two weeks instead of the just the last one.  Alternatively start your ff season in week 2 (since week one can sometimes be fluky anyways). 

Agreed

8 hours ago, Showboat said:

Could also add an "all-play" in Week 1 or something; top half of the scores get a W, bottom half get an L.

8 hours ago, Showboat said:

honestly I  would argue that  makes  the  league better.   less of a  chance  your stud  player  gets  a rest  the  last  2  weeks of the  season.

I  wouldnt lengthen  your fantasy  schedule  to go with  the  longer  season.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:57 PM, Fearsome said:

Stop playing head to head. Should have stopped years ago. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2021 at 12:20 PM, weepaws said:

Nfl now showing they care even less about safety, that was a concern not long ago, now I see they will play three preseason games. 

I dont know about that.   I think its more a case of they care about money.

for the record, when the CFL switched from a 16 game regular season to 18 games, they said there would be an increase in injuries and I honestly have not noticed a difference. (not a significant one anyways)

Most of your serious injuries seem to happen early in the year.  Not sure why that is, but that seems to be the case. (no I dont have stats to back it up) 

that being said, I dont mind having the extra game.  I have found that 4 preseason games was too much anyhow.  

I think we will look back on this change in a couple of years and be fine with it.

I’m looking forward to the 18 game season with 2 byes and a double header Monday night game every week and some tues/we’d games as well. Gambling is factoring into all of this if you’re wondering why. NFL games 24 weeks a year.  Nice. It’s the cheapest entertainment around. 

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I dont know about that.   I think its more a case of they care about money.

for the record, when the CFL switched from a 16 game regular season to 18 games, they said there would be an increase in injuries and I honestly have not noticed a difference. (not a significant one anyways)

Most of your serious injuries seem to happen early in the year.  Not sure why that is, but that seems to be the case. (no I dont have stats to back it up) 

that being said, I dont mind having the extra game.  I have found that 4 preseason games was too much anyhow.  

I think we will look back on this change in a couple of years and be fine with it.

Like I said , one more extra week for ff, ok with me. 

Are you guy's / or your league's thinking about doing anything different for regular season?

We do 13 week season. 14-16 playoff. Thinking about keeping it the same. Or switching to a 14 weeker, with 15-17 playoff.

Going 14 week h2h. And the full season for total points. 

Yeah I’m curious as to if this changes anything as far as drafting? Feels like that extra game maybe makes you bump the higher scoring positions a little earlier doesn’t it? Because you get an extra game value out of it.

I don’t think one game would change that, I’m going to draft Rbs and WRs early and often, always taken the player I think that will score thee most ff points first and so on. 

On 4/5/2021 at 2:21 PM, Kopy said:

Are you guy's / or your league's thinking about doing anything different for regular season?

We do 13 week season. 14-16 playoff. Thinking about keeping it the same. Or switching to a 14 weeker, with 15-17 playoff.

I'd be curious as to what league setups would this even effect.  What reason would your league have as to where a 14 week season be better?  The only types that I'd expect would be non-playoff format leagues.  For example, I do play in a league where we do just points on a week-by-week basis.  Each week, teams are ranked 10-1 based on the points they scored that week.  You get 2 extra points if you win, so a max of 12 points in a week.  There's no playoffs, we just run to week 16.  That league would probably run to Week 17 now.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'd be curious as to what league setups would this even effect.  What reason would your league have as to where a 14 week season be better?  The only types that I'd expect would be non-playoff format leagues.  For example, I do play in a league where we do just points on a week-by-week basis.  Each week, teams are ranked 10-1 based on the points they scored that week.  You get 2 extra points if you win, so a max of 12 points in a week.  There's no playoffs, we just run to week 16.  That league would probably run to Week 17 now.

We're head to head, so the lean is to 14 weeks. We have 3, four team divisions. So 14 weeks really cleans up scheduling. 2 games against division opponents. And 1 game against every other team. Thinking about increasing the roster also from 24 to 25 because of the extra week. Why, not sure, but why not I guess?

Gonna vote as the season gets closer. Just in discussions and throwing out ideas now. But there doesn't seem to be much opposition to the change so far.

Just now, Kopy said:

We're head to head, so the lean is to 14 weeks. We have 3, four team divisions. So 14 weeks really cleans up scheduling. 2 games against division opponents. And 1 game against every other team. Thinking about increasing the roster also from 24 to 25 because of the extra week. Why, not sure, but why not I guess?

Gonna vote as the season gets closer. Just in discussions and throwing out ideas now. But there doesn't seem to be much opposition to the change so far.

The only 12-team leagues I played in had 4, three-team divisions.  We played 2 division games and one game against the other 9 teams.  We didn't do 3, four-team divisions.  Yeah, that extra week would hep you out then.