BeenHereBefore

Honus Wagner Card

You don't hear of too many guys named Honus these days.

I've been if you did, it'd be some black guy whose mother tried to spell the word 'honest' phonetically on the birth certificate. 

2 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I've been if you did, it'd be some black guy whose mother tried to spell the word 'honest' phonetically on the birth certificate. 

Nope and they don't make baseball cards like they use too.

1 minute ago, BeenHereBefore said:

The new trend is nft's. Which causes me to think bfd, wgaf? GFY - asap. 

7 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

They are going digital.   A picture on your phone of a picture of a guy will now have value. 

Thing are focked up. 

6 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

They are going digital.   A picture on your phone of a picture of a guy will now have value. 

Thing are focked up. 

My heterosexual life partner just make over 3.5k on a single digital basketball card. 
Go figure

I don't think digital will ever replace cardboard cards.  Lots of people are saying it's the future, but I have my doubts.  For the record, I own a card shop, am invested in NBA topshot and other NFT's.  My son is also creating NFT sports related art, so we have exposure to all of it. 

There's a lot of euphoria around NFT's right now because artists, athletes and and team owners are seeing new ways to create revenue.  Topshot is video collectibles and athletes get paid when a clip of them sells.  But everything is self-contained on the topshot platform, so you can't truly do whatever you want with the clip, whenever you want.   If I truly owned them, I'd be able access them anytime, sell them, give them away, burn them, whatever.  That's not how topshot works and that's their biggest downfall IMO.  

Cuban wants to turn Mavericks tickets into NFT's so that he gets a royalty every time one is sold in perpetuity.  That works great for him as an owner, but I'm not sure the collector community will receive it well.  That's like Topps and the athletes getting paid a royalty every time a card is sold on the secondary market.  That could never happen because of the way so many cards change hands throughout the years.  So, this is really more about artist/player control over sales than anything else. 

But the main reason I don't think digital will overtake cardboard is because we've already seen a similar scenario play out with books.  

Ebook sales are about $26B annually.  $22B is printed, $4B is digital.  Publishers jumped into ebooks around 2000ish, so this market is fairly mature at this point.  Books and cards have a lot in common.  They're both collectible.  Rare, first edition copies of each command big $ if they're in good condition.  Signed copies are also coveted among collectors.  Famous authors and titles drive the book market.  Famous athletes and memorable moments drive the card market.  People like to display their collections and talk about them to whomever will listen.  

So, if ebooks can't penetrate the total book market by more than 15% in 20 years, what would digital collectibles have to do to beat that % over the next 20?  We already know what they are, and the book market gives us a lot of insight into how they'll ultimately be received.  

Invest wisely.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wiffleball said:

🤣

( I exceeded my daily emoji limit )

16 hours ago, vuduchile said:

I don't think digital will ever replace cardboard cards.  Lots of people are saying it's the future, but I have my doubts.  For the record, I own a card shop, am invested in NBA topshot and other NFT's.  My son is also creating NFT sports related art, so we have exposure to all of it. 

There's a lot of euphoria around NFT's right now because artists, athletes and and team owners are seeing new ways to create revenue.  Topshot is video collectibles and athletes get paid when a clip of them sells.  But everything is self-contained on the topshot platform, so you can't truly do whatever you want with the clip, whenever you want.   If I truly owned them, I'd be able access them anytime, sell them, give them away, burn them, whatever.  That's not how topshot works and that's their biggest downfall IMO.  

Cuban wants to turn Mavericks tickets into NFT's so that he gets a royalty every time one is sold in perpetuity.  That works great for him as an owner, but I'm not sure the collector community will receive it well.  That's like Topps and the athletes getting paid a royalty every time a card is sold on the secondary market.  That could never happen because of the way so many cards change hands throughout the years.  So, this is really more about artist/player control over sales than anything else. 

But the main reason I don't think digital will overtake cardboard is because we've already seen a similar scenario play out with books.  

Ebook sales are about $26B annually.  $22B is printed, $4B is digital.  Publishers jumped into ebooks around 2000ish, so this market is fairly mature at this point.  Books and cards have a lot in common.  They're both collectible.  Rare, first edition copies of each command big $ if they're in good condition.  Signed copies are also coveted among collectors.  Famous authors and titles drive the book market.  Famous athletes and memorable moments drive the card market.  People like to display their collections and talk about them to whomever will listen.  

So, if ebooks can't penetrate the total book market by more than 15% in 20 years, what would digital collectibles have to do to beat that % over the next 20?  We already know what they are, and the book market gives us a lot of insight into how they'll ultimately be received.  

Invest wisely.  

I like the idea of collecting ticket stubs as souvenirs or memories I could pass down.  As many concerts or sporting events I go to, I don't like just having the access via scanning the barcode on your phone.  I'd like something to hold onto and help remember the occassion by.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

April Fool's?

Unfortunately...

• Like 1

Sorry I keep reading this thread title as Humongous Wiener Card. 

5 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

Sorry I keep reading this thread title as Humongous Wiener Card. 

Want to see one ?

9 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Questions 

How many Honus Wagner cards are in existence?

What are NFTs ?

There may be more. 

Think around 5 to 8 left.

21 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Think around 5 to 8 left.

There are roughly 50-60 authentic t206 wagers 

Just now, bandrus1 said:

There are roughly 50-60 authentic t206 wagers 

Wow didn't know that and the others must be in poor shape. I know Mario Lemieux owns one.

1 minute ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Wow didn't know that and the others must be in poor shape. I know Mario Lemieux owns one.

are you talking about the wayne gretzky wagner?

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

are you talking about the wayne gretzky wagner?

Is that the one they guy cut the edges off to make it look more perfect ?

Just now, BeenHereBefore said:

Is that the one they guy cut the edges off to make it look more perfect ?

yes it is trimmed

13 hours ago, Mike Isles said:

Questions 

How many Honus Wagner cards are in existence?

What are NFTs ?

There may be more. 

WHAT IS AN NFT? WHAT DOES NFT STAND FOR?

Non-fungible token.

That doesn’t make it any clearer.

Right, sorry. “Non-fungible” more or less means that it’s unique and can’t be replaced with something else. For example, a bitcoin is fungible — trade one for another bitcoin, and you’ll have exactly the same thing. A one-of-a-kind trading card, however, is non-fungible. If you traded it for a different card, you’d have something completely different. You gave up a Squirtle, and got a 1909 T206 Honus Wagner, which StadiumTalk calls “the Mona Lisa of baseball cards.” (I’ll take their word for it.)

How do NFTs work?

At a very high level, most NFTs are part of the Ethereum blockchain. Ethereum is a cryptocurrency, like bitcoin or dogecoin, but its blockchain also supports these NFTs, which store extra information that makes them work differently from, say, an ETH coin. It is worth noting that other blockchains can implement their own versions of NFTs. (Some already have.)

What’s worth picking up at the NFT supermarket?

NFTs can really be anything digital (such as drawings, music, your brain downloaded and turned into an AI), but a lot of the current excitement is around using the tech to sell digital art.