Sign in to follow this  
Old School

MLB Opening Day- any locks?

8 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Looks like he pitched decent a week ago before they entered a rain delay:

There are so many high profile arms waiting in the wings (Lacy, Kowar, Lynch...) that it's hard to say what the rotation is going to look like come September.

Thanks. 

The formula in MLB is to reach the world series, you need to be one of two types of teams:

1. have the best run differential in your league.

2. Enter the playoffs having won at least 8 of your last 10.

In other words, teams with the best run differential usually win the pennant but they can get knocked off by a really hot team in the playoffs.   I believe this accounts for the overwhelming majority of pennant winners.

12 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

The formula in MLB is to reach the world series, you need to be one of two types of teams:

1. have the best run differential in your league.

2. Enter the playoffs having won at least 8 of your last 10.

In other words, teams with the best run differential usually win the pennant but they can get knocked off by a really hot team in the playoffs.   I believe this accounts for the overwhelming majority of pennant winners.

The 2000 Yankees had a plus 57 run diff (horrible) and were 5-16 down the stretch. It helps to play in a shitty division at the time, a shitty AL also, and meet up with an underwhelming Mets team in the WS. You’re always trying to jam stats into everything, when it should be apparent by now that champions in all sports come in all shapes and sizes. The 2011 Giants were last in running the ball and 27th in defense. Suoerbowl champs.  Get in, get hot. Thats the tried and true common blueprint of champions. 

17 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The 2000 Yankees had a plus 57 run diff (horrible) and were 5-16 down the stretch. It helps to play in a shitty division at the time, a shitty AL also, and meet up with an underwhelming Mets team in the WS. You’re always trying to jam stats into everything, when it should be apparent by now that champions in all sports come in all shapes and sizes. The 2011 Giants were last in running the ball and 27th in defense. Suoerbowl champs.  Get in, get hot. Thats the tried and true common blueprint of champions. 

I said overwhelmingly majority so of course they are cases that don't fit the mold.  I just didn't feel like listing the ones that were outliers.  But thanks for that!

31 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I said overwhelmingly majority so of course they are cases that don't fit the mold.  I just didn't feel like listing the ones that were outliers.  But thanks for that!

Get in, get hot. Catch some breaks. Did the Patriots ever dominate? In 2007 they blew apart the record book. So what? 

24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Get in, get hot. Catch some breaks. Did the Patriots ever dominate? In 2007 they blew apart the record book. So what? 

There were some Patriots teams that were dominant and they won the title.  The 2007 Patriots were overrated and I didn't have them winning the title at the time.  They had quite a few defensive issues that year, particularly in scores they were giving up.  2007 I had slotted to a "random champion". Up thru week 11, the 2007 Patriots were dominant.  After that, they started having problems.  3 point wins over the Eagles and Ravens, only 10 point win over the Jets, only a 3 point win over the Giants.  They were winning but it was becoming a struggle.

12 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

There were some Patriots teams that were dominant and they won the title.  The 2007 Patriots were overrated and I didn't have them winning the title at the time.  They had quite a few defensive issues that year, particularly in scores they were giving up.  2007 I had slotted to a "random champion". Up thru week 11, the 2007 Patriots were dominant.  After that, they started having problems.  3 point wins over the Eagles and Ravens, only 10 point win over the Jets, only a 3 point win over the Giants.  They were winning but it was becoming a struggle.

Good thing they play the games and just don't go off what you "have"...

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:35 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Your boy Lynch? Any plans on calling him up again? I can’t find anything 

I'm in omaha and Jackson kowar is pitching well.  I'd keep an eye on him.

12 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

I'm in omaha and Jackson kowar is pitching well.  I'd keep an eye on him.

He got called up. Pitching tomorrow. Thanks