nobody

Anchor for screws in a hollow post?

I had a pool fence installed a few years ago.  I noticed one of the hinges is coming loose on the gate.  Looking at it, the screws pulled out of the post they were attached to.

The post is probably aluminum about 1" square and about 1/8th inch thick walls.  I assume the screws were probably some aluminum sheet metal screws, but now that the screws ripped out of the hole, I'm wondering if there exists a way to anchor those screws better.  What do you guys think?

Toggle bolts perhaps.  I don't recall seeing them that short before?

can you access the inside of the post?

If so you could drop down a long rod or 2x2 ( wood ) for something to attach to :dunno:

( that's what she said! ) 

• Like 1

I was going to suggest toggle bolts if you could find ones that fit. I do like Big Guy’s idea tho.  :thumbsup:  

Another idea would be a longer screw:  drill a hole on the other side of the post, pass the longer screw through, and use a nut on the other side.

• Like 1

Drill all the way through with a 5/16" bit. Put a 1/4" bolt through with a nut and washer. If it's aluminum it will be very easy to drill through

Toggle bolts are for inside a wall.

7 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Drill all the way through with a 5/16" bit. Put a 1/4" bolt through with a nut and washer. If it's aluminum it will be very easy to drill through

Toggle bolts are for inside a wall.

Turns out I can't get inside the post.  I put some shìtty dry wall anchors that are going to pop right the hell out as soon as someone drapes a towel over the damn thing.  When that happens, I'm going to do this and call it a day.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, nobody said:

Turns out I can't get inside the post.  I put some shìtty dry wall anchors that are going to pop right the hell out as soon as someone drapes a towel over the damn thing.  When that happens, I'm going to do this and call it a day.

I suggested it first.  :mad:  

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

I suggested it first.  :mad:  

You the man.  

I guess I could just put a couple of new holes in the hinge and add a couple of sheet metal screws too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nobody said:

bummer......good luck with it all!

Not best for astetics, but you could also sandwich the aluminum with 1/8" thick flat steel or aluminum, bolt through, and paint black.

On 4/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, Fireballer said:

I would fill it if you can access inside and put bolts all the way through and paint them black.

On 4/4/2021 at 8:18 AM, Fireballer said:

Not best for astetics, but you could also sandwich the aluminum with 1/8" thick flat steel or aluminum, bolt through, and paint black.

What’s with the black?

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

What’s with the black?

I'm just assuming it's a black powder-coated aluminum fence made to simulate wrought iron.  

Just now, Fireballer said:

I'm just assuming it's a black powder-coated aluminum fence made to simulate wrought iron.  

Ok.  I just didn’t see it mentioned anywhere.

Not sure I understand the question, but I'm going to go with Paula Zahn in a redwood.  🤔

On 4/3/2021 at 8:07 PM, nobody said:

I guess I could just put a couple of new holes in the hinge and add a couple of sheet metal screws too.

Snap Toggles can handle up to 400 LBs, you can get them at Lowes and they are easy to use