Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Chicago is going to push section 8 into higher income areas

Just a little info: Back in my day you couldn't own a car and get welfare, food stamps or Medicaid. Now, it may be different, but you weren't considered poor if you owned a car when I received those benefits. If you owned a car that meant you had assets, how could you possible need financial help if you owned a vehicle? You wouldn't qualify for welfare if you owned a car in my time. Have you all seen housing projects? Do you know how many people lived in them?? Majority of folks in them didn't own cars. Heck, if people owned cars they could get jobs! They have no cars so therefore they were stuck in their poor neighborhood. Hence, the cycle of poverty, is anyone listening??? This is why they want to move people out of these areas. 

Here are the Columbus Projects in Newark. They are gone now, but imagine that Newark had multiple housing projects (Stella Wright, Hayes, Scudder to name a few) where they put black and Latinos, not white people. That was a government decision to segregate people, not a choice of those living there

Poor Whites were placed in working or middle class areas, which is why they could move up and out of poverty. 

If you live in a wealthier area, meaning working or middle class, as least there are stores and jobs and places that you can get necessities within walking distance of your home. At least there are people around that have jobs that will serve as mentors. Sadly, in excessively poor neighborhoods the people with the most money are not necessarily the ones with legal jobs because legal jobs don't exist in those areas. 

My daughter and I certainly were no threat to anyone. 

• Haha 1

Well, if you all wonder why some blacks remain poor and disadvantaged just note how furiously you want to keep people like me out. Note how you find it funny when I try to explain what life is or was like. 

Did you all ever read Oliver Twist? There was an area of the city so poor and wretched and crime filled that it had to had to be torn down. People will just feed on each other if they have no opportunities. I think they are called Rookeries. 

6 minutes ago, peenie said:

Well, if you all wonder why some blacks remain poor and disadvantaged just note how furiously you want to keep people like me out. Note how you find it funny when I try to explain what life is or was like. 

Did you all ever read Oliver Twist? There was an area of the city so poor and wretched and crime filled that it had to had to be torn down. People will just feed on each other if they have no opportunities. I think they are called Rookeries. 

Who tried to keep you out? There are some black people in my neighborhood. Everywhere I lived for that matter. No one tried to keep them out. 

Hell, George Jefferson moved on up to a penthouse apartment in the sky.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Just a little info: Back in my day you couldn't own a car and get welfare, food stamps or Medicaid. Now, it may be different, but you weren't considered poor if you owned a car when I received those benefits. If you owned a car that meant you had assets, how could you possible need financial help if you owned a vehicle? You wouldn't qualify for welfare if you owned a car in my time. Have you all seen housing projects? Do you know how many people lived in them?? Majority of folks in them didn't own cars. Heck, if people owned cars they could get jobs! They have no cars so therefore they were stuck in their poor neighborhood. Hence, the cycle of poverty, is anyone listening??? This is why they want to move people out of these areas. 

Here are the Columbus Projects in Newark. They are gone now, but imagine that Newark had multiple housing projects (Stella Wright, Hayes, Scudder to name a few) where they put black and Latinos, not white people. That was a government decision to segregate people, not a choice of those living there

Poor Whites were placed in working or middle class areas, which is why they could move up and out of poverty. 

If you live in a wealthier area, meaning working or middle class, as least there are stores and jobs and places that you can get necessities within walking distance of your home. At least there are people around that have jobs that will serve as mentors. Sadly, in excessively poor neighborhoods the people with the most money are not necessarily the ones with legal jobs because legal jobs don't exist in those areas. 

My daughter and I certainly were no threat to anyone. 

Forcing people who purposely moved to a higher class area to deal with more crime and declining property value is not the answer.

34 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Forcing people who purposely moved to a higher class area to deal with more crime and declining property value is not the answer.

But you are equating poor people with vice. Just because they are poor doesn’t mean they are criminal. I am not a criminal! My daughter was not a criminal and was not stupid either and was a student that did very well in school. 
Yes, you are correct, there are negative behaviors that come with some people. But if you just sprinkle a few poor people and you don’t label them, no one will even know they’re on section 8. There may be some minor adjustments that need to be made but as long as they only put a few in, the neighborhood will be fine.

And no one minds moving into poor neighborhoods when they really want to and they completely ignore all the poverty and crime while gentrifying!

Brooklyn, Harlem and Hoboken ain’t so bad when you want live close to Manhattan. 

Peenie thinks it’s going to be black people moving on up. I guess she doesn’t see that Biden opened the border to replace black people. 

20 minutes ago, peenie said:

But you are equating poor people with vice. Just because they are poor doesn’t mean they are criminal. I am not a criminal! My daughter was not a criminal and was not stupid either and was a student that did very well in school. 
Yes, you are correct, there are negative behaviors that come with some people. But if you just sprinkle a few poor people and you don’t label them, no one will even know they’re on section 8. There may be some minor adjustments that need to be made but as long as they only put a few in, the neighborhood will be fine.

And no one minds moving into poor neighborhoods when they really want to and they completely ignore all the poverty and crime while gentrifying!

Brooklyn, Harlem and Hoboken ain’t so bad when you want live close to Manhattan. 

So you are going to replace statistics with emotions. Let me know how that works out for Chicago in the end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jerryskids said:

We’re already a Mecca for retirees and other emigrants from Illinois; the Cubs are the most popular Spring Training visitor here.  :wall: 

Yea they flipped both our states last time didn't they?  :wall:

10 hours ago, peenie said:

Just because a person has white skins does not mean they are privileged, or gained they position and place because of their skin. Just because they believe in hard word and delayed gratification or oppose liberal ideas does not make them a white supremacist.

But since the current posture is to label an entire group based on their physical characteristics, or socio-economic status, what is the harm in generalizing about the poor?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, peenie said:

Heck, if people owned cars they could get jobs! They have no cars so therefore they were stuck in their poor neighborhood.

1.  Where do you think rich white people go for these jobs they have?  Hint...it's not the suburbs.

2.  I've been working in ghetto neighborhoods for over 25 years.  I've never seen a ghetto that didn't have reasonable public transportation.  Even many suburban white people depend on van/bus pooling to travel from the suburbs to the city where the jobs are.

19 hours ago, peenie said:

For the record, I never lived in section 8 housing. Imo, allowing section 8 housing to be in higher income areas is one of the best ways to stop the cycle of generational poverty. Even if the parents are worthless bums the kids get to go to a good school, live in safety, have better access to food and jobs. 

Except the school will promptly not be a good school when you fill it full of kids with worthless bum parents.

31 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Except the school will promptly not be a good school when you fill it full of kids with worthless bum parents.

How many Section 8 rentals are we talking here?  Entire buildings or just reserving a few apartments for Section 8?

I think if you just sprinkle a few in it could have the effect peenie is hoping for - putting some poor people in a better environment giving them access to a better school etc while adding a little diversity without drastically changing the socioeconomic makeup or really changing the area much.   But yes, too many Section 8 rentals and the area could go downhill fast.

• Thanks 1

Give people a chance and do not assume they have bad behaviors just because they are poor or are different than you. Howard Schultz grew up in the public housing.

Schultz discussed his childhood and what it was like growing up with less.

“When I was seven years old, I experienced something that deeply affected me that I carry with me every single day,” he said. “And that is the scar and the shame of being a poor kid living in government-subsidized housing.”

Schultz said his father became a “broken man” after working in many dead-end jobs that offered neither money nor respect. But, this hardship seemed to motivate Schultz to become the success he is today.

“I never dreamed I would be in a position one day to be part of a company where I would have authority — let alone build a company,” said Schultz. “What I’ve tried to do is build the kind of company that my father never got a chance to work for.”

:

FIX WHY SCHOOLS ARE SHITTY IN BLACK NEIGHBORHOODS!  

Also, how did Dunbar High in DC send 80% of their black students to college pre Brown vs Board???  

5 minutes ago, peenie said:

Give people a chance and do not assume they have bad behaviors just because they are poor or are different than you.

No.  The older I get, the more I realize that people who are poor generally don't have the drive and/or desire to work hard and do better.  They make poor decisions and play the victim game.  People who show up on time, work hard, don't complain and can get along with people will succeed.

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

One day when you're old and your kids no longer want to take care of you, you will be left in the very hands of the people you had no desire to let in your neighborhoods. Then you will see that they are not uncultured nor undisciplined. 

WTF is that babble about?

And who is not letting people into their neighborhoods? Feel free to buy a house if you want. Rent an apartment. Just don't lower the collective IQ of the community as well as bring down property values. Don't build a ghetto somewhere in a good town.

24 minutes ago, peenie said:

Give people a chance and do not assume they have bad behaviors just because they are poor or are different than you. Howard Schultz grew up in the public housing.

:

its been tried countless times and failed.  and anecdotal evidence is the worst kind of evidence.  the second you say something like "it worked for this guy" you implode your argument.

14 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

its been tried countless times and failed.  and anecdotal evidence is the worst kind of evidence.  the second you say something like "it worked for this guy" you implode your argument.

I am a living example. 

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Also, how did Dunbar High in DC send 80% of their black students to college pre Brown vs Board???  

I had never heard of this school until like 2 weeks ago and now it's been brought up twice here recently, but a quick search showed that it wasn't a neighborhood school, people from all over the city sent their kids there.

51 minutes ago, Boots11234 said:

Or a prime example depending on who you ask 😁

A prime example of someone who benefitted from leaving her poor urban environment. 

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Why don't you fix them? 

Environment is certainly an influence.

I think part of the issue is the apparent assumption of liberal policies that we are all equally positioned, but we are not.  I will never be an NBA player, a world cup player, a NASA engineer etc.  I was not afforded the gifts that might allow that to be true.  We each have a value to offer to society and ourselves, but we are not equal, period.

So to assume that outcomes should be equal is an inane premise to start with.

Environment could enhance and could hurt, the most important environmental factor is of course parenting.  If your parents are sh!tty, the chances of your life being sh!tty are pretty high whether you are in the suburbs or an inner city location.

Pretending the system is the problem is the biggest hindrance to the success of lower performing locations.

If you don't hear yourselves, just look at those old videos. 

Times changes, you people don't.

7 minutes ago, peenie said:

7 minutes ago, peenie said:

If you don't hear yourselves, just look at those old videos. 

Times changes, you people don't.

Yet you voted for Biden who was a major opponent of busing. 

BTW it is extremely racist to assume only Black Americans are poor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

I had never heard of this school until like 2 weeks ago and now it's been brought up twice here recently, but a quick search showed that it wasn't a neighborhood school, people from all over the city sent their kids there.

Yes, but did you notice anything else about it?

21 hours ago, peenie said:

First of all being poor does not mean you are a bad person nor does it mean you will bring crime or pestilence to a neighborhood and most especially poor does not equal black and nor does a better neighborhood or wealthier neighborhood exclusively means white you jackasses! 

-_-

1 minute ago, peenie said:

-_-

I would love to see when anyone builds a section 8 area in a nice city, the kids of the parents who live in that community who are just out on their own in life, rent up all the apartments to keep the neighborhood in the family. :banana:

Just so you know, a section 8 place is simply any apartment or any house that agrees to take in a low income family. It's not like some special place. It's not project housing. So, the Trump Tower could've had a section 8 family if they wanted to do it. The government pays the rent or part of the rent for the family. What they usually do is put the section 8 people in a certain segregated area instead of just a few families in an area where no one would even know their rent was subsidized. That's why section 8 or project housing gets such a bad name. Too many poor people together in an area where there are no jobs is not really a good idea. 

Celebrities take advantage of rent controlled apartments in New York City. Look it up. 

6 minutes ago, peenie said:

Just so you know, a section 8 place is simply any apartment or any house that agrees to take in a low income family. It's not like some special place. It's not project housing. So, the Trump Tower could've had a section 8 family if they wanted to do it. The government pays the rent or part of the rent for the family. What they usually do is put the section 8 people in a certain segregated area instead of just a few families in an area where no one would even know their rent was subsidized. That's why section 8 or project housing gets such a bad name. Too many poor people together in an area where there are no jobs is not really a good idea. 

Celebrities take advantage of rent controlled apartments in New York City. Look it up. 

What makes you an expert on section 8?  And who do you think is more likely to steal from their neighbor, a section 8 resident or a celebrity?

1 minute ago, Strike said:

What makes you an expert on section 8?  And who do you think is more likely to steal from their neighbor, a section 8 resident or a celebrity?

Steal from a neighbor?? Are you serious? 

I'm not an expert on section 8 but I know a little about it from experience...of not having it but wishing I had it and knowing a few people that did have it, good people, not the criminals you imagine in your fantasies. 

Crime is everywhere, not sure you will find it in greater in section 8, folks in these neighborhoods tend to self-police, now the adjacent areas are not off the menu of course. And the occasional crime from section 8 does seem to be an issue for nearby towns etc.

29 minutes ago, peenie said:

Steal from a neighbor?? Are you serious? 

I'm not an expert on section 8 but I know a little about it from experience...of not having it but wishing I had it and knowing a few people that did have it, good people, not the criminals you imagine in your fantasies. 

So based upon your anecdotal experience you think you can speak about ALL section 8 tenants?  So typical from you.  🤣