Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Eagles/Football/Fantasy players, fans?

What's everyone's thoughts on Jalen Hurts?

This is the only board I participate in (Mike you rule, after 20 years, T-shirt me)

But other boards I do lurk. There seems to be a real disbelief that this kid can do the job. This place has always seemed to favor him. Or is at least, in the, "let's give the kid a shot" category. 

Are people/fans bitching just to ? Or is he really not that good?

Edited by Kopy

You talking ff wise? 

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

You talking ff wise? 

I've seen both fantasy, and as an NFL player. More so NFL wise though. I'm just curious either way.

4 hours ago, Kopy said:

I've seen both fantasy, and as an NFL player. More so NFL wise though. I'm just curious either way.

I think hes a better fantasy QB than he is an NFL QB.

His running ability gives him a reasonably high floor most weeks.   But as an NFL QB, the jury is still out.

one way or another, I suspect this time next year we will have a better idea of what kind of player he truly is.

Would agree with Ray, I think his running abilities gives him a nod over other good passing qbs.  

NFL wise I’m not sold that he’s going to be able to maintain a level that he must to be a starting nfl Qb.  

For sure his running ability will save him and probably a decent 2nd QB in fantasy. Will his running hurt RB Sanders value? That may tend for me to drop Sanders a bit. We'll have to wait and see what kind of passing numbers he's able to put up but doesn't seem like he has a good wr corp other than Goedert.

This coach didn't draft Hurts and I don't think he cares about him.  I think Sirianni is going to do whatever he can to get wins.  I think he's going to protect the offense from Hurts and make sure he doesn't screw things up.  I think they're going to be a lot like Baltimore in and keep the ball out Hurts' "arm", but keep it in his hands.  In the last 2 seasons, the Ravens were 29th and 32nd in pass attempts.  I think the Eagles are going to be like that.  Ball control, running, short passes, and an occasional deep  ball.  Hurts isn't as talented as Jackson, so I expect more handoffs than QB keepers.  My expectation is that Hurts will essentially be Tyrod Taylor circa 2015-2017.  I'd venture to say that Sanders will be used a lot... unless he gets hurt again.

52 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

My expectation is that Hurts will essentially be Tyrod Taylor circa 2015-2017.

So you see Hurts as a borderline top 10 fantasy QB?

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

So you see Hurts as a borderline top 10 fantasy QB?

Yes, I think that possibly exists.  I think he'll be a better fantasy QB than an NFL QB.  Much like Taylor.

He's not somebody I would go out of my way to get for fantasy. If I had him on my team, I would probably look for some depth to say the least.

I think about the best way to put it would be, he's gonna be about the same as Lamar Jackson, with half the rushing stats and a few less TDs passing as well.

I think Hurts will have some big games, but I think he'll have just as many where he's a big dud.  His typical week will be just at the serviceable level, not quite what you want it to be, but just good enough to not give up on.

As for a QB, I think he'll be okay the first half of the season. Then the 2nd half, teams will start to figure him out and he'll struggle.

The eagles are such a mess of a franchise any way, it's hard to see him making them winners.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes, I think that possibly exists.  I think he'll be a better fantasy QB than an NFL QB.  Much like Taylor.

No question 

6 hours ago, polecatt said:

He's not somebody I would go out of my way to get for fantasy. If I had him on my team, I would probably look for some depth to say the least.

I think about the best way to put it would be, he's gonna be about the same as Lamar Jackson, with half the rushing stats and a few less TDs passing as well.

I think Hurts will have some big games, but I think he'll have just as many where he's a big dud.  His typical week will be just at the serviceable level, not quite what you want it to be, but just good enough to not give up on.

As for a QB, I think he'll be okay the first half of the season. Then the 2nd half, teams will start to figure him out and he'll struggle.

The eagles are such a mess of a franchise any way, it's hard to see him making them winners.

This :thumbsup:

I wouldnt draft him as a QB1 even if I thought his running ability would make him one.  

hes the kind of player you draft late or pickup on waivers to be a QB2 and you will start him in key matchups where it makes sense to do so.

in a 2 QB or superflex league, the matter is different.  You cant leave him to be a waiver wire pickup because he wont last that long.  but you likely can draft him as a QB2.   where you take him will likely depend on your league and your rules.   because he is likely to be unreiliable and if the wheels fall off later in the season (as I suspect they would)  I personally would draft him as a low end QB2 or high end QB3.   ideally I'd grab my QB2 a bit early and then grab him to be a QB3 shortly thereafter.

this strategy would appear to overvalue the QB position, but in 2 QB or superflex (especially 12 team leagues) thats the value of the QB position.  if you suck at QB you have almost no chance to win in this format. and if you have an injury at QB and no quality QB3 you will have a hard time making the playoffs more often than not.

you can draft him to be a QB2 but if you do so, you likely need to jump sooner to grab a Quality QB3.   Thats why I prefer the other way around.  if someone overvalues him and grabs him as a QB2 They can have him.

bottom line: hes potentially an unreliable QB2.  better to draft as a flex and flex him in when he has good matchups against defenses who perform badly against running QB's

I draft my Qb late extremely late, and I only draft one Qb, only start one so only need one. 

I would have no problem drafting Hurts very late , I usually only keep my drafted Qb for a game or two anyway, and than I stream. 

Now with Hurts or any Qb still available when I draft my Qb, it all depends on matchups. 

Last season I drafted mr Goff with my third to last pick, I kept him for three games, game one he was awful, next two games on the road he was great, than I picked up Hebert, kept both for one week, and I kept both cause Hebert had a week 6 bye , Goff had a good game vs the Niners, than I let him go and kept Hebert the rest of the way, those are the type of moves that only a ff legend would make. And your talking to him. 

Amen. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

I draft my Qb late extremely late, and I only draft one Qb, only start one so only need one.

Do you only draft two RBs?

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Do you only draft two RBs?

No, I wouldn’t draft less than three, we have a flex slot also. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

No, I wouldn’t draft less than three, we have a flex slot also. 

But you only need two?

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

But you only need two?

Refer to invoice #26586

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Refer to invoice #26586

I don't have any invoices from you; I was just curious why you would draft more than 2 RBs, given that you only need 2, and your policy (with QBs at least) is to only draft the number that you need to start.

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I don't have any invoices from you; I was just curious why you would draft more than 2 RBs, given that you only need 2, and your policy (with QBs at least) is to only draft the number that you need to start.

Refer to invoice# 26586. 

Amen. 

36 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Refer to invoice# 26586.

45 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

For fantasy only purposes. Who would you rather have as a backup QB. Hurts or Tagovailova?

I'm thinking Tua? Team will be potentially better, quicker. Might have a longer leash?

17 minutes ago, Kopy said:

For fantasy only purposes. Who would you rather have as a backup QB. Hurts or Tagovailova?

I'm thinking Tua? Team will be potentially better, quicker. Might have a longer leash?

That's more or less a toss up as far as I'm concerned.

For a back up, one that you don't plan to play much, I would probably lean towards Hurts. On the rare occasion you do start him, I think his rushing numbers will give you a little bit of insurance. If it were for a sleeper and potentially a guy to start, I would pick Tua

Tua   

2 hours ago, Kopy said:

Hurts and it's not even close.  Tua had more opportunities to impress, but he didn't really have any huge games, and only one or two that would really be considered start-worthy in fantasy.

Hurts may have more question marks, but if I'm drafting one of them as a backup, I care more about upside than risk, and in the three full games he played as the starter, Hurts posted fantasy scores of 21.28, 37.82 and 20.58.

In ten games as the Dolphins' starter, Tua scored over 20 fantasy points exactly once (and he achieved that by scoring a rushing TD and gaining his third-largest rushing total on the season).

I think the jury is still out and last year really doesn't provide much insight.  Wasn't their offense hit pretty hard with injuries? So yeah, for fantasy, his legs give him some value. I don't seem him cracking top 12.

as for him vs tua.  I like what miami is doing and would give tua the nod.

6 hours ago, polecatt said:

That's more or less a toss up as far as I'm concerned.

For a back up, one that you don't plan to play much, I would probably lean towards Hurts. On the rare occasion you do start him, I think his rushing numbers will give you a little bit of insurance. If it were for a sleeper and potentially a guy to start, I would pick Tua

This

Tua started nine games last season, and recorded 19 plus points in five of them. 

Hurst started in four games and recorded 19 plus points in all four games.  

Im hoping neither of them get drafted, both of them will make for good streams next season. 

But if I had to pick one as a back up Qb , it would be Tua.  

Thanks v

6 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Hurts and it's not even close.  Tua had more opportunities to impress, but he didn't really have any huge games, and only one or two that would really be considered start-worthy in fantasy.

Hurts may have more question marks, but if I'm drafting one of them as a backup, I care more about upside than risk, and in the three full games he played as the starter, Hurts posted fantasy scores of 21.28, 37.82 and 20.58.

In ten games as the Dolphins' starter, Tua scored over 20 fantasy points exactly once (and he achieved that by scoring a rushing TD and gaining his third-largest rushing total on the season).

Plus 316 yards and two passing tds.