Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Darnold traded to Panthers

Good for the Jets. 

So...

Zach Wilson to the Jets?

Maybe this means the Panthers won't be looking for a QB at 8?

Will Darnold beat Bridgewater for the starting job? Is Bridgewater gonna be released?

We'll see...

The Panthers have some decent help on offense for Darnold. DJ Moore and Ritchie Anderson are both good WRs. Of course Christian McCaffrey, the best pass catching RB in the game when healthy.

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

So...

Zach Wilson to the Jets?

Most Def. The 9ers outed the Jets pick when they traded to 3 and let it be known that the Jets wouldn't trade the second pick for anything. I think this signals that the Panthers aren't thrilled with either settling for the 5th QB off the board or the price they would have to pay to grab the 4th one. They may even trade down.

I think teams are much more interested in Trey Lance and Justin Fields than they are Mac Jones.

The Panthers seem to me to be going into Bears territory with the QBs.

They have two guys that would make excellent back ups, but I don't really want either to start for me long term.

Who knows?

Maybe a change of scenery gets Darnold over a speed bump and he further develops into a solid starting QB

8 hours ago, polecatt said:

Zach Wilson to the Jets?

Will Darnold beat Bridgewater for the starting job? Is Bridgewater gonna be released?

We'll see...

The Panthers have some decent help on offense for Darnold. DJ Moore and Ritchie Anderson are both good WRs. Of course Christian McCaffrey, the best pass catching RB in the game when healthy.

I  think it is a tough call.

I have to believe there will be an open QB competition.   but I think if Bridgewater loses, I cant see the team paying that much for a backup. 

at that point he either gets a buyout or he negotiates a lower salary with a lower cap hit to help the team out.

As for who wins the competition.... I was never a fan of Bridgewater.  he was underwhelming in Minny.  then he went to New orleans and had a good game or two as a fill in for an injured Brees.   this last season, mediocre as it was was a career best for this guy.  3700 yards passing, 15 TD and 11 int.

I'm not saying Darnolds stats are much better, but he also played on a REALLY crappy team.   if you believe they did a poor job of developing his skill and couldnt get the best out of him, perhaps you feel it is worth giving him a shot.

biggest concern for Darnold is the amt of time he missed.  granted a couple of the missed games were due to Mono.  not really an injury per se, but it may have been enough to derail his season.  some people spend months getting over that illness.  he only missed a couple of weeks.  I dont know what the odds are that he wasnt 100% when he went back in to play, but I'd guess the odds are high.

at the end of the day if it is an open competition for the starting job(as it should be) I suspect the coaches will know who is better by the end of the exhibition season.   With Darnold being the younger player, he would have more upside (in theory)

I think if both players play equally well, they give the job to Darnold.   This is just my opinion.   I think he has a better chance of turning into the player he was drafted to become than Bridgewater at this point in time.(mostly due to his youth)

20 hours ago, polecatt said:

So...

Zach Wilson to the Jets?

We'll see...

Think it definitely means they're not taking a QB at 8.

JMO but I don't see any way Darnold is not the starter unless he plays horribly in preseason.

9 hours ago, TimHauck said:

JMO but I don't see any way Darnold is not the starter unless he plays horribly in preseason.

unless the plan is to tank so they get a top pick.

haha maybe that was last years plan but Bridgewater was just good enough to keep em from getting a top 5 pick.

8 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

unless the plan is to tank so they get a top pick.

haha maybe that was last years plan but Bridgewater was just good enough to keep em from getting a top 5 pick.

I think it’s probably the backup plan. Main plan: hope Darnold works out.  Backup plan: go back to the drawing board at QB if he doesn’t.  I think it makes sense considering they were probably getting like the 5th QB off the board if they took one this year.

I don’t know what their plan was this year.  It should’ve been to tank but they didn’t need Bridgewater to do that.  He basically guaranteed them not a top 3 pick, but not the playoffs.

13 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Never say never. 

Some years the draft goes completely upside down from what we all think will happen.   I have no doubt if the right QB falls to them they will take him and worry about the fallout later.

In a covid year where we get to see less of all the prospects than normal, I think some teams will totally go off the board for some players and there will be a few surprises at the draft table.

I have a good feeling the Panthers will take Micah Parsons...

They love linebackers and they still need a replacement for Luke Keuchley

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Never say never. 

Some years the draft goes completely upside down from what we all think will happen.   I have no doubt if the right QB falls to them they will take him and worry about the fallout later.

In a covid year where we get to see less of all the prospects than normal, I think some teams will totally go off the board for some players and there will be a few surprises at the draft table.

Fair enough, if Lawrence drops to 8 they may take him.    In all seriousness, maybe there was 1 of the other guys they liked that they'd take, but seems unlikely at this point.

I haven't really followed the mock drafts that closely honestly.   Was surprised to see that this one has Mac Jones at 3 - https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-49ers-go-all-in-on-mac-jones, but this one has him at 15 -https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-panthers-get-sam-darnold-protection-justin-fields-falls-to-broncos-at-no-9/

Seems like a pretty big disparity there

7 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Fair enough, if Lawrence drops to 8 they may take him.    In all seriousness, maybe there was 1 of the other guys they liked that they'd take, but seems unlikely at this point.

I haven't really followed the mock drafts that closely honestly.   Was surprised to see that this one has Mac Jones at 3 - https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-49ers-go-all-in-on-mac-jones, but this one has him at 15 -https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-panthers-get-sam-darnold-protection-justin-fields-falls-to-broncos-at-no-9/

Seems like a pretty big disparity there

Some Mock Draft guys like Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network and the ESPN guys set their mock drafts based on what they are hearing and what they think the teams will do. Others like CBS Sports do their mock drafts based on who they would take if they were drafting. That's how you get such a disparity with a guy like Mac Jones. Daniel Jeremiah for example will say this isn't who I would take, but all the clues lead me to believe the 49ers are taking him. Adam Schefter just tweeted the same thing. The Media Scouts and Mock Draft Industrial Complex mostly has Jones as their QB5, so when they do a mock based on their own preferences Jones will be the 5th QB selected, with New England the logical landing spot.

• Like 1

I think the kids fixable. We'll see what happens. Much like the Wentz trade. I feel like he went to a place that can turn him around. And then in both circumstances. If they don't, nice knowing ya.

I think Wentz is a totally different situation, I think Wentz has already proven he can be an nfl starting Qb, Darnold hasn’t,  I’m not even sold that he’ll be better then Bridgewater, I think Wentz is going to be in a much better situation then he has been the past few seasons, and he’ll be getting reunited with coaches that helped him advance is career when he just came into the nfl m

im expecting big production from him this next season.  

As for Darnold, I won’t even be looking nor ranking him , I think he’ll be given the keys day one, but I think Bridgewater we’ll be a thorn. 

What does change for me with the Darnold signing, is my evaluation of Moore and Anderson. 

Andersons best two ff seasons took place with the Jets the season before Darnold and last season with Bridgewater. 

They need a healthy Mccaffery  

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think Wentz is a totally different situation, I think Wentz has already proven he can be an nfl starting Qb, Darnold hasn’t,  I’m not even sold that he’ll be better then Bridgewater, I think Wentz is going to be in a much better situation then he has been the past few seasons, and he’ll be getting reunited with coaches that helped him advance is career when he just came into the nfl m

im expecting big production from him this next season.  

As for Darnold, I won’t even be looking nor ranking him , I think he’ll be given the keys day one, but I think Bridgewater we’ll be a thorn. 

What does change for me with the Darnold signing, is my evaluation of Moore and Anderson. 

Andersons best two ff seasons took place with the Jets the season before Darnold and last season with Bridgewater. 

They need a healthy Mccaffery  

of course Wentz is a different situation to a degree.

the bottom line is the same.  if they cant perform in their new home, they may be finished.

I'm not so concerned about Wentz.  hes performed reasonably well in a less than ideal situation and regressed a bit since.  hes going to a more talented team with better WR and a better line (in my opinion).

Darnold is a situation where I think the team gives him his shot.  if he cant cut it, they have a high pick to draft a new QB next year.   If he performs, they got a good QB at a price thats so cheap it might as well be free. (think Tanehill situation)

but you never know..... maybe Darnold sits on the bench as a backup next year.     While I dont see this happening, it is not completely unrealistic either.

36 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

of course Wentz is a different situation to a degree.

the bottom line is the same.  if they cant perform in their new home, they may be finished.

I'm not so concerned about Wentz.  hes performed reasonably well in a less than ideal situation and regressed a bit since.  hes going to a more talented team with better WR and a better line (in my opinion).

Darnold is a situation where I think the team gives him his shot.  if he cant cut it, they have a high pick to draft a new QB next year.   If he performs, they got a good QB at a price thats so cheap it might as well be free. (think Tanehill situation)

but you never know..... maybe Darnold sits on the bench as a backup next year.     While I dont see this happening, it is not completely unrealistic either.

Disagree about the two teams those qbs are going to. 

I think Darnold is going to a team with better WRs and Mccaffery. 

I think Wentz can help make the Colts better, I don’t think Darnold can make the Panthers better, again I’m not even sure he’s going to be better than Bridgewater. 

18 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I think Wentz can help make the Colts better, I don’t think Darnold can make the Panthers better, again I’m not even sure he’s going to be better than Bridgewater. 

The Bridgewater comparison is obviously convenient, but I think the Panthers always planned that he’d be nothing more than a stopgap (although as a converted Panthers fan I still think they shouldn’t have signed him and tanked for Trevor).

Darnold definitely has a lower floor than Bridgewater.  But also a higher ceiling.  I highly doubt Darnold doesn’t start the season as the starter.  Btw looks like there’s a trade market for Teddy so sounds like he probably won’t even be on the team.

28 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

The Bridgewater comparison is obviously convenient, but I think the Panthers always planned that he’d be nothing more than a stopgap (although as a converted Panthers fan I still think they shouldn’t have signed him and tanked for Trevor).

Darnold definitely has a lower floor than Bridgewater.  But also a higher ceiling.  I highly doubt Darnold doesn’t start the season as the starter.  Btw looks like there’s a trade market for Teddy so sounds like he probably won’t even be on the team.

Like I said earlier invoice # 26577,  I think Darnold will be given the keys , and every opportunity to be the starter, I agree about your assessment of Bridgewater, but again I’m still not sold that Darnold will out perform  what Bridgewater water produce last season, and I’m not a fan of any team. 

Amen. 

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

you misunderstand what I was trying to say.   Wentz performed reasonably well in a bad situation and has moved to a good situation.

Darnold on the other hand performed poorly in a terrible situation.

He probably does better but his situation is more cloudy as it is hard to say how much a part of the problem he was.   when the whole team is bad, you dont really know the cause.  you can point fingers.  and there are usually multiple reasons for bad performance in cases like this.

so its not a given that he improves substantially in the new home.   It is possible.

He was a really well regarded prospect.   What we dont know is whether he was ruined by the Jets or whether he was never that good to begin with.

We also dont know if Carolina can turn it around for him.

you are right. he also is in a better situation than he was before. (is it possible to get worse?)

what we dont know is if he has the chops to make it count.

personally I think he has a better chance at performing there than most people are giving him.    but he is still a rather unknown commodity at the NFL level.

I think it could turn into a huge steal if this works out.  I dont blame the team for giving it a try.

Like I said, if he stinks the joint out, they are drafting top 5 next year.  if hes good, maybe they make the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Btw looks like there’s a trade market for Teddy so sounds like he probably won’t even be on the team.

at his salary, I find it hard to believe there would be a lot of buyers.

I really am baffled at the amount of teams that seem to like this guy.  he was never that good.   This last season was the best of his career and it was mediocre at best.

for some reason the networks in my area covered a lot of vikings games when Bridgewater was the starter and while there were a few good flashes, for the most part he was not a very good QB.

Now making close to 20 mil (I think hes actually making 18 or 19 mil).  I dont think hes much more than a good, solid backup QB.   So unless I have a QB go down to injury I'm not buying that contract.  You just cant afford to pay that much for this guy unless hes starting.    Hes now old enough that he does not qualify as a young player with upside anymore.   The odds of him turning into a Fitzmagic beyond the age of 30 and having a career year are starting to get thin.

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

at his salary, I find it hard to believe there would be a lot of buyers.

I really am baffled at the amount of teams that seem to like this guy.  he was never that good.   This last season was the best of his career and it was mediocre at best.

for some reason the networks in my area covered a lot of vikings games when Bridgewater was the starter and while there were a few good flashes, for the most part he was not a very good QB.

Now making close to 20 mil (I think hes actually making 18 or 19 mil).  I dont think hes much more than a good, solid backup QB.   So unless I have a QB go down to injury I'm not buying that contract.  You just cant afford to pay that much for this guy unless hes starting.    Hes now old enough that he does not qualify as a young player with upside anymore.   The odds of him turning into a Fitzmagic beyond the age of 30 and having a career year are starting to get thin.

I think they’re saying teams are interested in him as a backup, and that he’d probably have to restructure his contract to get a deal done.

Although I guess if that’s the case and I were him I’d probably just stay in Carolina making more money and hope that Darnold stinks. Although it’s also possible the Panthers cut him.

6 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I think they’re saying teams are interested in him as a backup, and that he’d probably have to restructure his contract to get a deal done.

Although I guess if that’s the case and I were him I’d probably just stay in Carolina making more money and hope that Darnold stinks. Although it’s also possible the Panthers cut him.

yeah, but why restructure.  he could get a buyout (whatever that turns out to be) and then play wherever he wants.

Financially it would need to make sense.  right now Bridgewater still has 10M guaranteed from what I can tell.   that is the cap savings if they trade him prior to June 1.

if they wait until after june 1, that number gets split up between the next 2 years.

I do not know how reliable this site is that I got the info from but it seems like the numbers are reasonable.  so if bridgewater gets a buyout I assume they pay him 10 Mil.  and he signs anywhere else as a free agent to be a backup for around 6 mil or possibly up to 8 mil.   Thats almost the same as what he is making now.

so I dont see why he would agree to restructure?   unless hes going to a team where he thinks he MAY start.  At that point the possibility to start may outweigh the potential income as a motovator for his decision making.

if thats the case, maybe he takes one or 2 mil less to have a chance to compete to be a starter somewhere.

that being said, why not compete for the job here before moving on? 

unless the team tells him hes already lost the starting gig, that would likely be his priority at this time.

Depending on how it shakes out (bad pun), Houston might wind up in the QB market.

Texans have already sign up Taylor and Finely. 

I wish the best for Darnold. With the right coaching I think he can really be pretty good. 

They should have kept Bridgewater. 

On 4/8/2021 at 5:42 PM, weepaws said:

On 4/26/2021 at 5:53 AM, Utilit99 said:

I wish the best for Darnold. With the right coaching I think he can really be pretty good. 

:)

That's nice.  Turns out, he is who we thought he was.

21 hours ago, weepaws said:

They should have kept Bridgewater. 

its still early to say that.   

the offense is completely different where he is at now.   it is even possible that Bridgewater does the same if he stays.   it could be system dependant.

without a more detailed analysis, you cannot say for sure.

but you look at the kind of throws they were asking Bridgewater to make in Carolina.   and look at the kind of throws they ask him to make now.

are they the same? is there a change.

I'll be honest.  I havnt felt the need to do this kind of analysis as I"m not currently considering Bridgewater as a potential player on my team.   but a different kind of team with a different personality and different coaching can make a world of difference for a player.   The reason I never jumped on the bandwagon is because I never saw him making plays that make me think   'wow, this guy is really good'   To that end I figured he'd always be mediocre at best.

I have not watched any of his games this year.  I cant speak to it further, but it is worth noting that defenses usually adjust to changes in an offense around midseason, so even if hes playing well today, its not a given that it will continue.  it may, it may not.

but the good news is, he hasnt sucked yet.    its a start.

No it’s not, Darnold is and as been horrible, Bridgewater was much more productive with the same team.  

2 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

:)

That's nice.  Turns out, he is who we thought he was.

Injured as a pro football player.  :shocking:

That's crazy!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Injured as a pro football player.  :shocking:

That's crazy!!!!!!

Not injury. 71.3  You and Sam Darnold both know what the number is. 

Felt bad for him at Jets and thought he'd do better in Carolina. I was wrong. Maybe Jets tainted him, but his career is nearing life support.

8 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Felt bad for him at Jets and thought he'd do better in Carolina. I was wrong. Maybe Jets tainted him, but his career is nearing life support.

it is certainly possible that the Jets ruined him.

he started out looking pretty good.  but from the look of things, defenses have adjusted to him.   that happens with younger QBs.   now the onus is upon him to adjust again.

This is the point in a young QB's career where they need to prove themselves.

if he adjusts to how defenses are playing him and proves he belongs, he will be a pro QB.   if he keeps making the same mistakes, he becomes a backup or will be out of the league.

Carolina will give him that opportunity. 

if he is successful, they will have a decent QB for a cheap price.   if not, they get a high draft pick to draft his replacement. 

as for whether it was a mistake to dump Bridgewater.... was he a good enough QB to get em to the superbowl?   I dont know that he is. 

I would argue Bridgewater is better where he is at because they dont need him to do as many things as a starter as Carolina needed.   I think hes more of a game manager where he is at now.  Thats not a bad thing.  its a different skillset.   To that end, I think his chances of winning and being successful may actually be better where he is now.

its a different philosophy.  but if the defense continues to look like they did against Dallas last week, they may be a very good team moving forward.

Darnold isn’t going to be the Panthers starting Qb for long.